• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

Pankaks said:
Hopefully Notch will implement some sort of quest/town system to keep the game fresh.

There's a plugin called Towny that lets people create their own towns, cities and nations.

The server is huge, seriously. I was looking at the Cartograph, thinking there was a bunch of clear land behind Kyaw's tower thing, only to find someone had built a house behind one of the hills. Pure brilliance.

Also, I'm seeing a couple of 1x1 towers with nothing on them. I'm going to tear them down if they're still there by Friday...

mcrae

with regards to the unfinished roads issue:

elvazards (totally butchered your name) stone tower with glass floors at the top is viewable from spawn, there is one of those roads that goes out from his tower and sort of near my grass-walled compound (has a half wet/hald dry moat, river crossing the middle, and an unfinished stone bridge connecting two hill tops) and i'll connect that to my place sometime in the next two days (read: probably tonight after work lol)

Ark said:
Also, I'm seeing a couple of 1x1 towers with nothing on them. I'm going to tear them down if they're still there by Friday...

good idea. i hate stupid 1x1 towers or 3x3 or anything really tall just for the sake of being tall

Ranger X

kodt said:
Yeah no problem. I have run into several different mines and cave systems that others have cleared. I'll keep looking for unexplored cave systems so that we can get them cleared.

Also, we should add some well lit, glass floors to the mob grinder so we can get some porkchops!

Not that it's out of the question that I add some "good mob" floor but there's so many torches in middleland that they probably all spawn already, even at night. Besides, the hospital will be the spot for porc chops. :)

mcrae said:
with regards to the unfinished roads issue:

elvazards (totally butchered your name) stone tower with glass floors at the top is viewable from spawn, there is one of those roads that goes out from his tower and sort of near my grass-walled compound (has a half wet/hald dry moat, river crossing the middle, and an unfinished stone bridge connecting two hill tops) and i'll connect that to my place sometime in the next two days (read: probably tonight after work lol)

good idea. i hate stupid 1x1 towers or 3x3 or anything really tall just for the sake of being tall
I have no problem with people diverting, adding to, or even removing my roads. When I built them, I was out beyond most other builders. If you can keep them and incorporate them, all the better.

Zomba13

The Destiny is coming along nicely. I think I've go enough wood to finish the base layer at least. Will get on that after I've watched some more Dexter. It's really good.

Really need to get back into this game with all of the more recent changes. I might come and join the server at some point, although I'm more of an explorer than a builder so I will probably just disappear for ages at a time and return with raw materials :)

Toki1776

Map updated! If it doesn't load properly, it's not quite uploaded yet. Give it a few, and it'll be up.

Everything looks great! Well, personally, at least, I'm a little bit disappointed that my house is no longer visible due to a large wooden structure, and I'm also a bit curious as to who went waaay up north seemingly for the hell of it, but other than that it's beautiful. Tons of awesome structures out there!

Link is the same, here it is one more time: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/neocraft/map.html

As for the road issue, I made one to connect my house, Foolosophy's glass towers, and the yellow submarine to the main system, in front of the sandstone castle. I could also hook it up to the road leading out of the west side of Mengy's place, if he's cool with that.

guest1321

Just a note on Arks server. Things have been stolen from some of the chests. Considering there is a bulletin every 5 minutes saying NO GREIFING I don't know why this is occurring. Some diamonds, coal, iron were stolen. Regardless of the fact that it was unlocked, without knowing who's it is it would be nice if people would leave it alone.
Thanks

Kyaw

Guys, please dont build anything big around the massive tower that i've built.
I'm planning on building 4 smaller towers branching off from the main big tower.

Its the tower to the south-west of Arkano's castle on the map.

Ark said:
People need to stop building roads that go nowhere.

Who ever builds the roads with smooth stone & 1 block of sand with a torch on it, I'm looking at you. You have like a million roads that go nowhere..
I started my roads back when nobody was near me. Before I could finish them, people built in the path, so I didn't want to get in their way or go through their buildings. They go out from my tower, as I said earlier, if people don't like them, feel free to modify, connect, or delete them as needed.

Ranger X

Just thought I'd chip in and suggest something about the post 3727 and 3728 ^^

1- No griefing is the rule but ALWAYS lock your chests.

2- If you plan on building something there, lay down the first row of blocks or something so it's more evident this part of the land is "reserved". Even a wooden sign with it wouldn't hurt.

Ark

guest1321 said:
Just a note on Arks server. Things have been stolen from some of the chests. Considering there is a bulletin every 5 minutes saying NO GREIFING I don't know why this is occurring. Some diamonds, coal, iron were stolen. Regardless of the fact that it was unlocked, without knowing who's it is it would be nice if people would leave it alone.
Thanks

Lockette is there for a reason, and if people are still Peasants, then it's up to them to PM me for a promotion :/

elrechazao said:
I started my roads back when nobody was near me. Before I could finish them, people built in the path, so I didn't want to get in their way or go through their buildings. They go out from my tower, as I said earlier, if people don't like them, feel free to modify, connect, or delete them as needed.

It's all good, would be better if we had one general road design though.

kodt

Banned
Ark said:

One of those was mine, I was just using it to count how many blocks I had to the sky ceiling. Then I fell off before I could destroy it :p

Zomba13

guest1321 said:
Thanks
That is just douchey behaviour. Only take stuff from the community chests under the station.
I think everyone who can should keep all of their stuff in locked chests to be safe, only ut stuff in unlocked chests that you don't mind loosing, or if you can't lock chests hide them somehow (like buried or behind a wall).

Zomba13

Toki1776 said:
Everything looks great! Well, personally, at least, I'm a little bit disappointed that my house is no longer visible due to a large wooden structure
Umm... Sorry about that >.< I just wanted it to be high up in the air close to my house, didn't think about it blocking things as seen from maps.

Toki1776

Zomba13 said:
Umm... Sorry about that >.< I just wanted it to be high up in the air close to my house, didn't think about it blocking things as seen from maps.

Lol, no worries, man. Cant wait to see it when it's done! Also, mind if I throw some torches below it, to keep mobs away?

Zomba13

Toki1776 said:
Lol, no worries, man. Cant wait to see it when it's done! Also, mind if I throw some torches below it, to keep mobs away?
Sure. I was planning on doing that but when I checked I didn't have any or any coal/charcoal >.<

bengraven said:
Are you that big stone square going up on the shore across from the tracks?

that would be my temple. i hadn't planned on it being so huge but somehow it turned out that way.

edit: and shit, i just realised i miscounted and the whole thing needs to be 4 squares wider, and i have to move 17 of the pillars over to one side. fuuuu

Ranger X said:
hahahah who went crazy exploring north?
Heh, that's crazy.

btw, sucks that people have had things stolen. I haven't locked a single chest, and my diamonds and iron and all the rest of it has never been touched. To whoever is stealing, quit it, and ask if you need something. 9/10 times one of us will happily share.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Ark said:
Lockette is there for a reason, and if people are still Peasants, then it's up to them to PM me for a promotion :/

I sent you a PM on Monday, I was still a peasent last night.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My tower on NeoCraft is at the point now that I'm pretty happy with it. My fountain above the clouds waterfalls down throughout the entire tower and feeds my crops and fills my moat. My mine is up and running. I want to add a few more details like some more benches, plant more flowers, make the basement look nicer, add some lighting to the surrounding grounds. I may also create a water feed from my moat that brings the flow all the way down into my mining base. But for the most part it's done.

So last night I'm laying in bed wondering what I want to build next on the server, and I think I'd like to build a cozy little ranch on a grassy hillside overlooking the ocean, somewhere remote. Then I remembered a comment back a page or so about roads that go nowhere. I thought it would be cool if there was a well lit road that went from the main area to my cozy little cabin to be. But then I remembered that this is multiplayer, and how I'd hate to be away from the people and the action. And how someone up top mentioned how they felt creatively bankrupt in Minecraft.

So in a creative fit of half-asleep mind churning that wandered all over the place, I had an idea for NeoCraft that I wanted to see what everyone thought of:

Why don't we build a little coastal town with a community theme in mind?

1. We pick an area on the map, somewhere a good distance from spawn, to build the town. Someplace hilly and grassy with lots of ocean and a long coastline to build on, maybe even facing east so we all have beautiful sunrises over the water.
2. We try to keep a theme to the town of cabin & ranch style houses. Nothing over two stories, no towers or huge square buildings, no castles.
3. We can have community buildings, like public farms for wheat, reeds, trees, cactus, etc. instead of each of our houses being fully self sustaining.
4. We can make a huge public branch mine. I could get this started. Basically we build a staircase down to bedrock and then make a long tall tunnel from bedrock to Y=16 or so that extends in one direction (away from spawn), then we mine 1x2 tunnels spaced every 4 blocks, with staggered tunnels on top of each other. It's how I do all of my mines, it's very efficient, you expose all blocks along the way with minimal actual mining. I could get the mine started, once it's started it would be pretty clear how to keep expanding it. Then people could just grab a branch and mine it, and we could just keep extending the main shaft for as long as we need it to be to create new branches.

In short, build a cozy little community where we all "live" and work together instead of being spread out and doing each of our own things. I mean, it's not like we are deleting or erasing what we already have, but this could be a community project that we all can build together.

Any thoughts?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
mrklaw said:
does dynmap update the landscape in real time, or at least regularly, or is it just people locations?

When it was working fully, it had an overhead view and a 3d view that would update real time. The one drawback to it was it would not update all explored areas. Once it is running it would update once an area had a change made. So you would have to go to each chunk and place a torch or block or something for it to update, but it was all real time.

Mengy said:
Why don't we build a little coastal town with a community theme in mind?

1. We pick an area on the map, somewhere a good distance from spawn, to build the town. Someplace hilly and grassy with lots of ocean and a long coastline to build on, maybe even facing east so we all have beautiful sunrises over the water.
2. We try to keep a theme to the town of cabin & ranch style houses. Nothing over two stories, no towers or huge square buildings, no castles.
3. We can have community buildings, like public farms for wheat, reeds, trees, cactus, etc. instead of each of our houses being fully self sustaining.
4. We can make a huge public branch mine. I could get this started. Basically we build a staircase down to bedrock and then make a long tall tunnel from bedrock to Y=16 or so that extends in one direction (away from spawn), then we mine 1x2 tunnels spaced every 4 blocks, with staggered tunnels on top of each other. It's how I do all of my mines, it's very efficient, you expose all blocks along the way with minimal actual mining. I could get the mine started, once it's started it would be pretty clear how to keep expanding it. Then people could just grab a branch and mine it, and we could just keep extending the main shaft for as long as we need it to be to create new branches.

In short, build a cozy little community where we all "live" and work together instead of being spread out and doing each of our own things. I mean, it's not like we are deleting or erasing what we already have, but this could be a community project that we all can build together.

Any thoughts?

I'm definitely up for doing something like this and I like the idea of building a coastal village with a bunch of really nice cabin-style houses that aren't overly large. There's a lot of attention to detail you can put into a house, without the need for it to be huge.

Finding an area is going to be tough though - we'd obviously want somewhere that hasn't been touched yet, but people have spread out soooo far in a lot of directions. Then there's also a lot of snow south and west of spawn, which probably isn't the best for a coastal town and making it any more than a day's walk from spawn is probably a bit excessive.

Looking at the map there's an area not too far north east of Ark's castle that I could imagine hosting a nice community village with a harbour, sea walls, a lighthouse, a bunch of small boats, etc;

mc1.jpg

Ranger X

I'd participate on that but only after I am bored of "middleland".

By the way, I did improve the Community Mob Grinder yesterday night, for those interested. Now mob are spawning in greater numbers and also drown faster.

Bootaaay said:
I'm definitely up for doing something like this and I like the idea of building a coastal village with a bunch of really nice cabin-style houses that aren't overly large. There's a lot of attention to detail you can put into a house, without the need for it to be huge.

Finding an area is going to be tough though - we'd obviously want somewhere that hasn't been touched yet, but people have spread out soooo far in a lot of directions. Then there's also a lot of snow south and west of spawn, which probably isn't the best for a coastal town and making it any more than a day's walk from spawn is probably a bit excessive.

Looking at the map there's an area not too far north east of Ark's castle that I could imagine hosting a nice community village with a harbour, sea walls, a lighthouse, a bunch of small boats, etc;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/mc1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I would come out of Minecraft semi-retirement for that. I think we should definitely make brick roads though (and I know the challenge that poses). I like the idea of theme areas, and sticking to them. I was just looking at a Medieval theme city, and it looked wonderful.

Mengy

Awesome Animals said:
I would come out of Minecraft semi-retirement for that. I think we should definitely make brick roads though (and I know the challenge that poses). I like the idea of theme areas, and sticking to them. I was just looking at a Medieval theme city, and it looked wonderful.

I was thinking brick roads too. Actually, I was thinking gravel to start and lay them out but we upgrade them to brick as we can.

As for the theme, my line of thinking was something like a mining town. We have one large public mine that attracted the people and the town kind of "grew up" around it. Something like that. And I know that Ark only has the one warp point now at the Harbour, but a little theme town like this would be a good place for a second warp point.

And Bootay, that location was actually one that I was glossing over myself earlier when trying to find a spot. There is even more coastline north of your pic that just as good, and just a tad NE is a good grassy low cliff area to build on facing the ocean. I think it's perfect.

Maybe tonight I'll head up there and scout it a bit. I think I'd make the mine a staircase going down and eastward to bedrock, that way extending the main hall would take us away from spawn, and the branches would travel north and south and would also not go back toward spawn. Maybe I'll even start the mine and my house and then see what unfolds from there...

I just headed out that way to have a look around myself and it seems like it'd be a great place, more space than I imagined looking from the map - also, there's a lot of crazy stuff just beyond that area too, I'm definitely heading out this way to build later;

Heading north-east from Ark's place here's the first view of the bay;

2011-05-11_170158.jpg

On the southern side of the island;

2011-05-11_170315.jpg

From the middle looking out across the bay;

2011-05-11_170420.jpg

And the northern side;

2011-05-11_170455.jpg

Area behind the island;

2011-05-11_170519.jpg

Mengy

Bootaaay said:
I just headed out that way to have a look around myself and it seems like it'd be a great place, more space than I imagined looking from the map - also, there's a lot of crazy stuff just beyond that area too, I'm definitely heading out this way to build later;

Heading north-east from Ark's place here's the first view of the bay;
(snip)

Woah, great pics Bootay! It looks so much bigger in game than it did on the Neomap, plenty of room. Great views too. But wow, your pic of the "area behind the island" is what I was calling the "good grassy low cliff", man was I wrong! The map made it look so much different. Still, awesome view for the town on both sides, and gives us good nearby mountain exploring possibilities too.

I like it. I can't wait to get home and do some exploring up around there. I think I'll start the mine tonight, after all a mining town can't grow without a mine! My initial feeling is that the mine would go best right in the middle of the crescent, that way its central to the town and more accessible to the area.

Wish I could leave work early, LOL.

Kyaw

Bootaaay said:

mc1.jpg

I'm up for contributing to this!

guest1321

Mengy said:
I think I'll start the mine tonight, after all a mining town can't grow without a mine! My initial feeling is that the mine would go best right in the middle of the crescent, that way its central to the town and more accessible to the area.

I know stairs work just fine, but how do you feel about possibly doing a ladder down? With a fence around the initial hole? If you do get on tonight I would definitely be able to help out with the mine. I have lately been using the same pattern as you had previously described. It is super efficient and you find sooo much more!

Ark

Bootaaay said:

This was my plan for a community project I was going to get going sometime this week, but apparently you've read my mind and jumped the gun. Haha.

Excellent, the more the merrier :)

Mengy said:
I like it. I can't wait to get home and do some exploring up around there. I think I'll start the mine tonight, after all a mining town can't grow without a mine! My initial feeling is that the mine would go best right in the middle of the crescent, that way its central to the town and more accessible to the area.

Yeah, the centre of the crescent would be best, as it kinds of dips into a valley behind that point. It should be a lot of fun mining here, I just explored some open cave systems and let's just say they're twisty as hell with a ton of openings and a LOT of lava.

If anyone's going to set up a place there I think it'd be best to concentrate on the larger southern part of the island, as the island gets thinner towards the northern point. Also, try not to build too close to the shore until we've got some idea where a harbour/promenade/dock type dealie will go.

Ark said:
This was my plan for a community project I was going to get going sometime this week, but apparently you've read my mind and jumped the gun.

Haha, I think I remember you mentioning in chat something about wanting to build a harbour town earlier in the week.

Mengy

Ark said:
This was my plan for a community project I was going to get going sometime this week, but apparently you've read my mind and jumped the gun. Haha.

Man, seems like we all are enthusiastic about this. I'm glad I posted it now, I wasn't sure if anyone would want to bother, lol.

I'm already planning out the mine. I made a mine in one of my single player worlds that would be perfect for a large group branch mine, I think I'll start recreating it first thing tonight. Eventually it would be cool if we had a minecart track loop that went from town level down to bedrock and the branches, I think I'll build it with that in mind.

Here is a question: if we are going to go with a theme town, do we want to maybe agree to certain building guidelines? Like what animal said earlier about all of the roads being brick, for example. Things like:

- lighting for along the roads, should it all be the same? Like street lights using lightstone and fence posts?
- do we want to agree to two stories maximum for the houses?
- all sloping style roofs, would flat roofs be allowed?

I don't know how picky we want to get with this, lol. It might be fun and entertaining though to build with a certain amount of criteria to move us all in similar directions. Any rules of course would only apply to the "town limits" and not outside the area. I just keep envisioning this awesome village at the end of it all...

Ark

Mengy said:
Man, seems like we all are enthusiastic about this. I'm glad I posted it now, I wasn't sure if anyone would want to bother, lol.

I'm already planning out the mine. I made a mine in one of my single player worlds that would be perfect for a large group branch mine, I think I'll start recreating it first thing tonight. Eventually it would be cool if we had a minecart track loop that went from town level down to bedrock and the branches, I think I'll build it with that in mind.

Here is a question: if we are going to go with a theme town, do we want to maybe agree to certain building guidelines? Like what animal said earlier about all of the roads being brick, for example. Things like:

- lighting for along the roads, should it all be the same? Like street lights using lightstone and fence posts?
- do we want to agree to two stories maximum for the houses?
- all sloping style roofs, would flat roofs be allowed?

I don't know how picky we want to get with this, lol. It might be fun and entertaining though to build with a certain amount of criteria to move us all in similar directions. I just keep envisioning this awesome village at the end of it all...

We will need theme rules set in place. Like no massive fucking cobble buildings without windows (like 25% of the buildings we have now). No building giant towers for the sake of it, no retarded material choices, and one person should be assigned to doing street lighting (I volunteer! :p).

Mengy said:
I don't know how picky we want to get with this, lol. It might be fun and entertaining though to build with a certain amount of criteria to move us all in similar directions. I just keep envisioning this awesome village at the end of it all...

Yeah, it'll definitely be more impressive if all the buildings are of a similar style. We should certainly impose a 2-story height limit on all the buildings, unless we decide to build a bigger community building like a fort or an inn or something.

Also, I think we should settle on a style of road as soon as possible and make sure people leave a gap wide enough between buildings to put a road, but also don't settle too far away from each other so we get a proper village feeling. It'll be great to watch it grow from a few houses next to each other into a big inter-connected town, and on that train of thought I definitely think we should place our first settlements on the larger southern tip of the island, with community buildings more in the centre.

Ark

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, it'll definitely be more impressive if all the buildings are of a similar style. We should certainly impose a 2-story height limit on all the buildings, unless we decide to build a bigger community building like a fort or an inn or something.

Also, I think we should settle on a style of road as soon as possible and make sure people leave a gap wide enough between buildings to put a road, but also don't settle too far away from each other so we get a proper village feeling. It'll be great to watch it grow from a few houses next to each other into a big inter-connected town, and on that train of thought I definitely think we should place our first settlements on the larger southern tip of the island, with community buildings more in the centre.

I honestly think my roads are the best (slight bias there, I know :p).

Stone half blocks making up the sides, then 3 cobble/brick in the middle. So 5 wide in total, can be brought down to 4 wide in total for smaller roads.

We could build a wall around the town too, just a small one?

Top Bottom