• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark said:
minecraftscreensnapz00fugb.png

Finished my lighthouse! You can be sure I'm going to use that design when I create my own version of Rapture.
cock tower? :D

Ark

guest1321 said:
ark, you could just use the diagram of the circles and just start at the bottom with whatever width you want, and then just downsize it every 1 or so

either that or do a half circle from your chart going up in to the sky. and have one running perpendicular that intersects it at the middle of the first arc/semi-circle. That would give you a tent pole like structure and from which you could base your structure

I guess some trial and error is on the cards then :p

Vlad said:
So.. just make half a sphere?

Pffft, that sounds too easy.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
That circle diagram would have been really handy when I built this structure.
nWMCK.png

I'm still proud of it, it just didn't turn out to be a perfect circle. I think I was off by a block or too. At some point, I'd like to make a spherical building.

Kyaw

Ok, not half a circle ><
I dunno what kind of dome you want to build though. Like a flat one, a default one or a high one?

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks for everyone's nice comments about the hospital! I did some work on the upstairs. I put beds in, each with its own TV overhead and a nurse station nearby.

Ark's tower is sweet. You can just type "/warp harbour" to go right to his castle to see it.

That circle guide is going to help a lot....

Vlad

ArtistDude88 said:
I'm running out of ideas on what to make. :\

I like redstone gizmos, but it seems once you make a combination lock door, there's not much else to make (unless you're technical minded and can make calculators and crap).

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I was really into the Civil War server for a bit, but I just decided to take a break from that for a bit.

I'm not complaining, really. I've spent an ungodly amount of time on this game, and I've more than gotten my money's worth, but I really have gotten kind of burned out on it. I'm out of good ideas at the moment, and without that, the motivation to play kind of dies out.

I'm with you on the redstone stuff, too. That's one area where I'd love to see them really expand the game. Right now, there just isn't enough that can be done with it. Just to list it out, we've got:

Things that can be interacted with to trigger redstone
  • Pressure Plates
  • Buttons
  • Levers
  • Detector Rails

Things that redstone can currently trigger
  • Redstone Torches
  • Doors
  • TNT
  • Note Blocks
  • Switched Tracks
  • Powered Rails
  • Dispensers

That might seem like a fair amount, but it quickly gets old. There needs to be more things that can be done with redstone, and certainly more things that can trigger it. That's why I absolutely LOVE Craftbook/Falsebook. I'd be perfectly happy if Notch and company implemented every last idea in that mod, as it's 100% awesome. For anybody that's never played on a server with it running, here's some of what it adds:

Things that trigger redstone:
  • Day Checker (turns on when it's daytime)
  • Water Sensor
  • Lava Sensor
  • Light Sensor
  • Living Entity sensor
  • Clock (turns on/off at regular intervals)

Things that redstone can trigger:
  • Bridges
  • Block-Based doors
  • Fence-based gates
  • Netherrack (turns flames on/off)
  • Glowstone (turns it into Soul Sand and back)
  • Pumpkins
  • Monster Spawner
  • Arrow Shooter
  • Minecart-related things like cart dispensers, boosters, blocks that kick players out, etc

That's not even a complete list, either (see here for a full list of all the goodies).

I know some of these things are similar to the existing implementations, but it never seems to be quite as useful as I'd like. Dispensers, for example, have limited usefulness as arrow traps due to the somewhat limited inventory and limited things they can actually do. I'd love it if they ended up having the automated cart storage/dispensing abilities from Falsebook. In a perfect world, we'd have something like Falsebook combined with BuildCraft, where we could, with enough resources, rig up a "master arrow storage" chest with dispensers acting as arrow traps, and able to send a signal to the main chest to request that more arrows be sent to that particular dispenser.

That's why, above the maps and the Nether in MP, looking forward to the inclusion of the Piston mod to the game. While it doesn't sound like it's happening soon, I hope that it does eventually happen. The game really does need to have more for the "late-game" players. The people who have amassed stacks and stacks of materials, but want to do something more dynamic with it than make yet another giant structure.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
Thanks for everyone's nice comments about the hospital! I did some work on the upstairs. I put beds in, each with its own TV overhead and a nurse station nearby.

Ark's tower is sweet. You can just type "/warp harbour" to go right to his castle to see it.

That circle guide is going to help a lot....

We can set special teleports????

Salaadin

Finished the outside of my pyramid
20ur979.png

So much sand had to be dug up for this. I dont even want to touch the inside of it now but I have to.

mrklaw said:
smooth stone would be simpler and still suit the theme well. wool might be too bright?

yeah i know what you mean about brightness. smooth stone was the original idea then i started thinking wouldn't it look nice in white. sandstone would perhaps be even more awesome but like wool hard to come by enough of it.

Toki1776

NotTarts said:
Would anyone with a Tectonicus render be able to try out a tool for me?

Tried it out this afternoon. While I like the interface, it would be nice if it could integrate the player list and stats that Tectonicus outputs. The render converted beautifully, though. I would post it, but I'm almost out of space on my dropbox.

On a slightly different note, I did another render of the NeoCraft server, this time at a lower angle, to see the buildings a bit better. Here's the link again: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/neocraft/map.html

strata8

If you didn't notice, the numbers in that diagram is the diameter, so just build a cross (or a stack of crosses) and build the circle around it. Makes it so much easier.

Toki1776 said:
Tried it out this afternoon. While I like the interface, it would be nice if it could integrate the player list and stats that Tectonicus outputs. The render converted beautifully, though. I would post it, but I'm almost out of space on my dropbox.

On a slightly different note, I did another render of the NeoCraft server, this time at a lower angle, to see the buildings a bit better. Here's the link again: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/neocraft/map.html
Awesome, thanks for testing it. Nice to know it works with larger maps too. Reading the stats and players isn't difficult, but I'm having trouble mapping the coordinates to the actual on-screen image. I'll take a look at the Tectonicus output and see if I can adapt it somehow.

Zomba13

Seeing as Stargate is no more and I just watched the SGU finale, anyone fancy helping me with making a giant floating Destiny(big pic)?
I think I'll start on it later. Need to figure out what material to build it out of as it's like a bronzy/browny ish colour.
http://www.fxstation.net/storage/Images/SGU/DestFinal-2.jpg

Probably won't be to scale or anything, just big enough to fit a bunch of rooms/corridors and the gate room while still having the right shape.

What are my options for elevators? I heard one of the last updates broke water elevators...

I remember seeing one on reddit a long time ago it was basically a water ladder with a boat that went up and down. Anyone have a YT vid/img of one of those?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nismogrendel said:
What are my options for elevators? I heard one of the last updates broke water elevators...

I remember seeing one on reddit a long time ago it was basically a water ladder with a boat that went up and down. Anyone have a YT vid/img of one of those?

does the server have craftbook on it? You could use that for elevators.

It'd also be nice to have the blue telepads plugin as well, then we can build our own teleports to different locations - perhaps have a teleport station to farther areas of the map.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toki1776 said:

Very nice, I like that angle better. But my tower has changed quite a bit since then, can't wait to see a new version of this map whenever you can. Actually alot has changed already in the entire area, LOL.

Zomba13

Destiny is coming along nicely. Settled on wood as it was the easiest material to get a lot of. Starting with the base first and I'm around halfway done with it. Got a nice small pixel drawing I made that I'm using as a plan.

Just joined the NeoCraft server today. Looks like I ended up setting up shop across the water from Ark's castle.

Some pretty awesome work! Hopefully my stuff won't be a giant eyesore.

Ark

Zod the Bear said:
Just joined the NeoCraft server today. Looks like I ended up setting up shop across the water from Ark's castle.

In which direction? Behind the boat?

bengraven

I think I've become creatively bankcrupt with this game. haha

Zod the Bear said:

Are you that big stone square going up on the shore across from the tracks?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
bengraven said:
I think I've become creatively bankcrupt with this game. haha

Are you that big stone square going up on the shore across from the tracks?

I feel the same way. I built my giant castle and now I'm not sure what I want to do next.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am setup at 273 -1032. I just started last night. Nice little sand/snow/forest/mountain/water area.

webrunner

Pankaks said:
I feel the same way. I built my giant castle and now I'm not sure what I want to do next.

Well, with the official boosters and if pistons go in, we're starting to see the first robust, non-bug-based, repeatable mechanisms. That'll open up a lot of design space.

Ark

People need to stop building roads that go nowhere.

Who ever builds the roads with smooth stone & 1 block of sand with a torch on it, I'm looking at you. You have like a million roads that go nowhere..

Ranger X

Their roads also don't connect with the main roads...

I dream that someday I could have a tourist tour of the server, visiting most places by simply following roads. I hope we'll be able to achieve that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
bengraven said:
I think I've become creatively bankcrupt with this game.

That's what I really love about this game though, there are different ways to play it, different things to do. Once my sand tower is "done" to the point that I'm happy with it, and my mine is up and running, I plan on switching from building mode to exploring and spelunking mode. I'm gonna take the bare essentials and head out across NeoCraft, in search of landmarks and caves and scenic vistas. Oh, and sheep and red flowers. I need red wool for the roof of my workshop floor...

This game often has a way of inspiring me to build new things. Sometimes it almost feels therapeutic.

Eh, sorry you feel that way, I have nothing else to add, LOL!

kodt

Banned
Ranger X said:
Their roads also don't connect with the main roads...

I dream that someday I could have a tourist tour of the server, visiting most places by simply following roads. I hope we'll be able to achieve that.

We might need some road planning, right now they are sort of haphazard.

Someone started constructing a road in front of my base, connecting it to elrechazao's roads, but it is unfinished. (Last I checked)

I connected my base with a road to Mengy's place since it seemed to be connected to the main roads.

Ark

Calm Killer said:
Hey Ark. Could you look into adding Dynmap to your server? I think it would be really nice to be able to see everyone that is online and their current location while playing. I used it on my server before I took it offline.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/inactive-misc-dynmap-v0-15-realtime-minecraft-maps-617.489/

I'd love to, but it's inactive and there are bugs with it apparently.

Also guys, we're already up to 130mb in file size. Try not to explore unnecessarily, it makes making Cartograph maps take longer :p

Ranger X

kodt said:
We might need some road planning, right now they are sort of haphazard.

Someone started constructing a road in front of my base, connecting it to elrechazao's roads, but it is unfinished. (Last I checked)

I connected my base with a road to Mengy's place since it seemed to be connected to the main roads.

By the way, I've been having a mine with Mik2121 under our houses and under "middleland" and I fell on a cave wich connects with your things and also Gabman's.
I didn't want to leave wooden signs in the game to tell you about this:
I was wondering if we can sort of "team up" and clean the undergrounds of middleland together while doing our things. This for making the community's mob grinder more effective (if undergrounds are lit up, monsters will concentrate in the mob grinder where its dark). We could clean each of our own areas as it goes.

Anyhow, I cleaned alot of caves yesterday evening and I will continue tonight. Searching for mobs with F3 is awesome lol

kodt

Banned
Ranger X said:
By the way, I've been having a mine with Mik2121 under our houses and under "middleland" and I fell on a cave wich connects with your things and also Gabman's.
I didn't want to leave wooden signs in the game to tell you about this:
I was wondering if we can sort of "team up" and clean the undergrounds of middleland together while doing our things. This for making the community's mob grinder more effective (if undergrounds are lit up, monsters will concentrate in the mob grinder where its dark). We could clean each of our own areas as it goes.

Anyhow, I cleaned alot of caves yesterday evening and I will continue tonight. Searching for mobs with F3 is awesome lol

Yeah no problem. I have run into several different mines and cave systems that others have cleared. I'll keep looking for unexplored cave systems so that we can get them cleared.

Also, we should add some well lit, glass floors to the mob grinder so we can get some porkchops!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
CoffeeJanitor said:
And herein lies Minecraft's giant elephant in the room issue.

Hopefully Notch will implement some sort of quest/town system to keep the game fresh.

Top Bottom