• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark said:
We could build a wall around the town too, just a small one?

Definitely, maybe with a few mini-forts at certain points? It could connect onto the harbour/sea wall which I imagined would house the boats in the bay and connect up those little sand islands.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
I honestly think my roads are the best (slight bias there, I know :p).

Stone half blocks making up the sides, then 3 cobble/brick in the middle. So 5 wide in total, can be brought down to 4 wide in total for smaller roads.

We could build a wall around the town too, just a small one?

On the roads: with the half blocks on the sides, is the road raised or sunken? I've done it both ways, but I prefer making my main roads raised (the brick sitting on ground level and the half blocks on the sides) and then making the minor roads (streets to houses and such) down at actual ground level.

On the wall around the town, yeah i was going to suggest something like that to keep monsters out at night. A nice classy wall though, not a four block tall cobble monstrosity. Hell even just a normal fence wall would be fine with me. We would have spiders to contend with, but we would be safe from everything else. Maybe spider problems are the curse of Neo-Mineville, LOL!

Ark

Mengy said:
On the roads: with the half blocks on the sides, is the road raised or sunken? I've done it both ways, but I prefer making my main roads raised (the brick sitting on ground level and the half blocks on the sides) and then making the minor roads (streets to houses and such) down at actual ground level.

No I mean you stack half blocks on top of each other to create a 'normal' sized block :)

EDIT:

This video may be ~4 months old, but I'm going to post it anyway incase anyone is interested. It's a 10-minute server tour of Kyaw's old server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqemYBwzrbA&feature=channel_video_title

guest1321

I like the idea of having the middle three road blocks being at ground level and then having half blocks on the outside of the three (making 5 total as ark...Dooh). Then it would give a side-walk 'ish appearance to it as well keeping the road from obstructing the view of the rest of the village because of it's height.
Also, my thoughts on two story limit.
I think one story would be better for main houses, and then two story for city/public utilites (city hall/town center, court house, police/fire station? etc.) so as to make them more apparent as being important land marks. As for the city hall/town center I think it should be the central part of the town with some sort of nice "lawn" area around it.

Questions:
What constitutes 1 story? With sloped roofs how tall?
What building materials will be allowed for houses? (my thoughts were wood only)
Land marks maybe in smooth stone or sandstone?

guest1321

Ark said:
Personally I think two-storey is better, otherwise we'll end up with house like 25x5...
well if we do houses with sloped roof that may provide room for attic space, and there is always the possibility of basements so people may just need to explore to possibilities for extra room. Maybe I'm wrong here but as there isn't that much stuff to throw in the rooms as it seems they will be kept relatively simple, I don't see a huge need for space.

guest1321 said:
What building materials will be allowed for houses? (my thoughts were wood only)

Yeah, I reckon wood-only for the exterior is a good way to go - I'm making a simple shelter that others are free to use when they get on the island (as there's a TON of mobs spawning). I built the frame out of logs and the walls out of wooden planks - it's only 1 story, but will have a sloping roof made of wooden steps.

*edit, goddamn - so many mobs spawn here, lol. Hopefully that'll change once more people are set up. Feel free to grab any supplies from the chest in my place, as it's all left over.

Mengy

guest1321 said:

I don't know about wood only, but I think the major building material should definitely be wood. But sandstone and smooth block and wool and such can be used in great ways for accents and highlights against wood. I mean, we don't want to curtail creativity too much, and we dont want every house looking exactly the same, just very similar.

Ark

I love how we started off with people building awesome respectable buildings, and now people have started going off building giant towers and other giant structures that make no sense at all..

Ala Minecraft!

Kyaw

Ark said:
I love how we started off with people building awesome respectable buildings, and now people have started going off building giant towers and other giant structures that make no sense at all..

Ala Minecraft!

Pretty much! ><

At least my giant tower serves a purpose...

To worship the SUN GOD!

Ranger X

Ark said:

Ala Minecraft!

The server might have gained too much people too fast. When this happens, there's no time to pass on our "unwritten rules". Maybe the first building that people meet with (the station in the case here) should have contained signs with certain rules on them.

Ark

Ranger X said:
The server might have gained too much people too fast. When this happens, there's no time to pass on our "unwritten rules". Maybe the first building that people meet with (the station in the case here) should have contained signs with certain rules on them.

I wanted to build one from the outset, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'll make sure to get something done during the week, don't worry.

In more important news:

The server will be down from around 6-10pm GMT on the 11th of May (tomorrow), so that I can mess around with the settings and try to fix the lag.

Atomski

Ark said:

Ala Minecraft!

Welcome to Minecraft Multiplayer.

OMG, I'm so excited now. I will def try and jump on tonight if I can. I'm tfisher21 in Minecraft, so keep your eyes open. :) And it is going to take a looong time to gather that much clay for brick, lol.

Well, the beauty of the OP would be to update rules for specific servers, is the current OP still able to be edited?

Maddness

my house looks awesome on the map!

I'll join in on the coastal town as well.

Also my mine that seemed to go on forever actually connected to another person's mine.

Kodt! It connected to your mine. well one long corridor that your mine eventually went down.

so if you ever go back down that way again and see stairs and stuff when it opens up into nothing but rock... I've spent the last 2 or so day cleaning out the entire thing and making it nice and walkable. so that' why.

Ark

Awesome Animals said:
OMG, I'm so excited now. I will def try and jump on tonight if I can. I'm tfisher21 in Minecraft, so keep your eyes open. :) And it is going to take a looong time to gather that much clay for brick, lol.

Well, the beauty of the OP would be to update rules for specific servers, is the current OP still able to be edited?

No body will check the OP anyway ;) Better to force people to read when they enter the server.

Just please try not to build a giant structure or something that becomes an eyesore, don't build too close to bother peoples stuff without their permission too.

Ranger X

Ark said:
Yup..

There are some buildings that haven't changed at all that are total eyesores that I'm tempted to just downright tear down.

that guy with that wierd wooden house that we had a laugh about (all in good fun -- I don't mind him) during some of the days of the server... you built your awesome house right beside it and the station. That guy never came back in order to "unuglyfy" his building.

Ark

Ranger X said:
that guy with that wierd wooden house that we had a laugh about (all in good fun -- I don't mind him) during some of the days of the server... you built your awesome house right beside it and the station. That guy never came back in order to "unuglyfy" his building.

I don't remember this..time to go check said building out.

Fake edit:

I see it now, that's Taranata's house...I'm 110% it hasn't changed in over a week lol.

Mengy

Ark said:

Ala Minecraft!

Interesting. I never knew there was supposed to be a theme to the server around the spawn area. When I first logged in there were lava towers to the sky and upside down pyramids and huge cobble towers and large square buildings. I just assumed towers were okay!

I'd tear my sandstone tower down if the consensus was it looked out of place there. I'd want my materials though, lol!

Ark

Mengy said:
Interesting. I never knew there was supposed to be a theme to the server around the spawn area. When I first logged in there were lava towers to the sky and upside down pyramids and huge cobble towers and large square buildings. I just assumed towers were okay!

I'd tear my sandstone tower down if the consensus was it looked out of place there. I'd want my materials though, lol!

There is no theme to NeoCraft, which is why it's awesome. But it's annoying when people build giant structures with no purpose, or they don't design a decent interior, etc etc.

Your tower is awesome, don't worry about that ;)

Ranger X

Mengy said:

Meh, your tower is no normal tower. It actually looks good and not wierd. We didn't have much rules for the beautiful, we only wanted to avoid wierd buildings and everybody building streets and roads everywhere with 10 different looks. I guess we are pretty connected right now. I wish it was feeling a bit more like a city in overall but it's pretty good as it is. There's a good 75% of people connected together and with the main streets model (gravel with stairs in rock slabs)

/beaten by the Sun God

guest1321

Hey so how long has this serve been up for? Also, I built a bridge(not the suspension one) that gaps a distance between my tree house and a large sand building with what appears to be a building. I have a road that fits the scenery but I guess not the normal style of road. If that is a problem I can change that

Ark

Alright, quick server update.

The server will be down from 6pm-10pm BST tomorrow. You can expect a number of slight updates when she comes back up;

• Most likely going to add a new 'Veteran' rank for active and proven builders, simply because we have over 70 citizens right now.

• Veterans may receive extra permissions, although I'm not sure what yet.

• I'm going to be looking to appoint moderators this week, so I'm going to sort out those permissions, as well as looking for mods-to-be.

• Donators and Veterans will possibly get a warp set at a location of their choosing.
  • A new spawn 'building' will be created, still within the current spawn although it will have all the necessary information for anyone new to the server. Rules, hints, tips, etc.
  • As above, a new spawn 'building' will be created for the newly founded Booty Bay area. Since this is to be a community project, the 'rules and themes' will be laid out in said building. There will be no excuses for ignoring these 'guidelines'. Nobody wants this ruined by a giant 5x8 cobblestone tower.

Those will be the main changes I put in, there might be one or two that I come up with during 'maintenance'.

------------

guest1321 said:
Hey so how long has this serve been up for? Also, I built a bridge(not the suspension one) that gaps a distance between my tree house and a large sand building with what appears to be a building. I have a road that fits the scenery but I guess not the normal style of road. If that is a problem I can change that

Don't worry about roads yet, it'll be a big effort to change all the roads.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
at the beginning there was a certain sensitivity to the building. I think the station building helped set the tone for spawn. I sometimes wish people weren't so insistent on building big things very close to spawn. There is plenty of space.

I'd love to have a play with the coastal community. Maybe you could mark out plots with numbers on, and then let people put their names on signs when they find somewhere they want to build.

mcrae

mrklaw said:
at the beginning there was a certain sensitivity to the building. I think the station building helped set the tone for spawn. I sometimes wish people weren't so insistent on building big things very close to spawn. There is plenty of space.

I'd love to have a play with the coastal community. Maybe you could mark out plots with numbers on, and then let people put their names on signs when they find somewhere they want to build.

imo, make restrictions similar to a real city by law - must leave 2-3 squares between your building and the property line, cannot go about ~20 blocks, size of windows must equal at least 25% of square footage of floor space, additions can only be 1st story

Ark

Just to show everyone how crazy the server growth has been..

Rqh5r.png

96% of those are from when I started the server. Before the server went up, I had 4 messages. It's crazy.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn...so much activity in this thread lately! I really love the coastal town idea, so I'm very excited to see that play out. I really like the new veteran status idea as well.

Ark said:
The server will be down from around 6-10pm GMT on the 11th of May (tomorrow), so that I can mess around with the settings and try to fix the lag.
Have you done anything somewhat recently to help the lag? I feel like it has gotten way better already.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Been playing on my own a while. I've been thinking of joining Ark's server...and I'll definitely steer clear of cobblestone after reading the last few pages.

Ranger X

Ark, do you mean you will be moving the spawn over there that coastal area?

EDIT: lol, I really can't connect, the server is always full. I smell a 20 slot coming...

Ranger X said:
Ark, do you mean you will be moving the spawn over there that coastal area?

No, he's going to create a building to house the warp point over at the coastal place.

Going pretty nicely over there - we've got a few houses built already and I'm working on roads to connect them.

The bootybay area has a 3 wide cobblestone road motif going on (started by bootay), so try to make your roads fit in with that if possible. I think it looks good.

Hopefully we can get an upgrade soon, it really seems busy today.

For anyone building on the coastal place, try to keep your houses to the southern part of the island where the other houses are already. There needs to be space for community buildings and a big mine in the centre and a harbour on the coast of the northern part of the island.

kodt

Banned
I just logged off guys so try to connect :)

My "project" has its supports and framework up, this is taking a ton of cobble.

bengraven

Found pics from back before I was creatively bankrupt. This was all on a SomethingAwful Goon server.

Crystal tower:

goddamntower2.jpg

goddamntower4.jpg

My first castle ever! This is single player. This was my second world I ever built and I put two towers on both sides of a deep valley. Sadly I accidently deleted the file before I could finish them. :(

fortressinday.jpg

fortressatdawn.jpg

For the coastal town, was thinking that maybe we could try to zone the area.

People closest to the beach are capped at one or two stories, then have an area behind it that allows houses to be a little taller for a view.

End result would look a little more realistic like actual waterfront properties, I'd think.

edit: Awesome screencaps, bengraven.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Bootaaay said:
Hopefully we can get an upgrade soon, it really seems busy today.

For anyone building on the coastal place, try to keep your houses to the southern part of the island where the other houses are already. There needs to be space for community buildings and a big mine in the centre and a harbour on the coast of the northern part of the island.

How much do the servers cost/month and how much more for an upgrade?

Top Bottom