• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I just logged off to for anyone trying to connect.

bengraven said:
What coastal town are we talking about BTW?

It's north-east from Ark's castle, but you can just use /warp to get there. We're trying to keep all the buildings of a similar style and create a nice looking town.

xelios said:
How much do the servers cost/month and how much more for an upgrade?

No idea, you'd have to ask Ark or Kyaw.

Zod the Bear said:
For the coastal town, was thinking that maybe we could try to zone the area.

People closest to the beach are capped at one or two stories, then have an area behind it that allows houses to be a little taller for a view.

End result would look a little more realistic like actual waterfront properties, I'd think.

The southern part of the island we're building on currently is quite sloped anyways, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I tried building my first modern-ish (and small-ish) house. So used to building huge things it's not easy.

Grinchy

Banned
Hey Ark, you mentioned special priveledges based on the future "class system" so what do you think about donators having the ability to use TNT? Or is that even possible to tweak?

It just seems like someone willing to pay money isn't going to grief and TNT is pretty useful on big projects.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, Booty Bay is off to a booming start. Lots of houses up already. I never did get the mine started, worked on my house instead. Not sure where I want to put the mine now anyway, have a few ideas though.

Here is a pic of how the town looks from the north shore:

2011-05-12_003848.png

Toki1776

Hmmm... does the pine wood and low roof make my cabin seem out of place there? I could remodel, if if you guys think it looks off. (It's the house in the center of Mengy's picture.)

guest1321

Toki1776 said:
Hmmm... does the pine wood and low roof make my cabin seem out of place there? I could remodel, if if you guys think it looks off. (It's the house in the center of Mengy's picture.)
I don't think so. I like the variety.

I think it will look cool once all the other houses start coming into play behind those that are beach front. What sort of town land marks are we planning on putting in?

Ark

Wow, that place looks awesome. Can't wait to my cabin there.

Quoted for new page:
Alright, quick server update.

The server will be down from 6pm-10pm BST today. You can expect a number of slight updates when she comes back up;

• Most likely going to add a new 'Veteran' rank for active and proven builders, simply because we have over 70 citizens right now.

• Veterans may receive extra permissions, although I'm not sure what yet.

• I'm going to be looking to appoint moderators this week, so I'm going to sort out those permissions, as well as looking for mods-to-be.

• Donators and Veterans will possibly get a warp set at a location of their choosing.
  • A new spawn 'building' will be created, still within the current spawn although it will have all the necessary information for anyone new to the server. Rules, hints, tips, etc.
  • As above, a new spawn 'building' will be created for the newly founded Booty Bay area. Since this is to be a community project, the 'rules and themes' will be laid out in said building. There will be no excuses for ignoring these 'guidelines'. Nobody wants this ruined by a giant 5x8 cobblestone tower.

Those will be the main changes I put in, there might be one or two that I come up with during 'maintenance'.

------------

xelios said:
How much do the servers cost/month and how much more for an upgrade?
The server currently costs £35 every three months. An upgrade to 20 players would increase that to £63 every three months. So...it's quite the price increase.

fresquito

I'm tired of bugs related to spawning creatures. Yesterday I opened the door to my house just to find a creeper inside, waiting for me to explode. I was lucky I didn't die and the destruction didn't affect any chest, but damn it.

i'm up for the booty bay thing. yes i built big things over the hill from spawn. i hope they're not too ugly :( could go a cosy little cabin this time.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I tried to log on and tried to contribute yesterday. Disconnected 3 times and the world had some real troubles loading. It's a shame, really. Almost died to monsters a couple of times because of the lag. :(

Neo Child

Banned
xelios said:
I tried building my first modern-ish (and small-ish) house. So used to building huge things it's not easy.

...is that a Zelda OOT texture pack, kinda reminds me of it? Looks lush, where'd you source that bad boy from?

Just tried Ark's server for the first time, so far it's been raining and I've been under attack from at least 4 hissing vegetables.

Made a little survival shelter on a lonely mountaintop, hope it's ok ^^

My ingame name is the same as my gaf one.

Kyaw

Lava is good. As long as you dont get burnt by it.

Just go all the way down to the bedrock. Start mining in branches from the top most block of bedrock and 16 blocks up to find diamond.

mcrae

so from what i've gathered:

bedrock is layers 1-5*
diamonds are 1-16*
lava is 1-10*
so best is to tunnel on 11/12 (player is 1.5 tall, so your in game thing should say 12.5)**

another theory has it that coming upon lava caverns is a good thing, cause you see more exposed rock in a faster period, so tunnelling at 8** is good. if you do decide to mine below 10, make sure you bring at 1 or more buckets filled with water

*im 99% sure of these numbers
**im 85% sure about these numbers

NBtoaster

Just had a look round the server..and most structures are seriously impressive. My houses in single player have just been wooden shacks or holes in mountains.

I would like to try to make a decent house there but I get about half a second latency, making collecting items and fighting a pain. If I'm in New Zealand and the server is in London I guess that's to be expected though.

Mik2121

mcrae said:
so from what i've gathered:

bedrock is layers 1-5*
diamonds are 1-16*
lava is 1-10*
so best is to tunnel on 11/12 (player is 1.5 tall, so your in game thing should say 12.5)**

another theory has it that coming upon lava caverns is a good thing, cause you see more exposed rock in a faster period, so tunnelling at 8** is good. if you do decide to mine below 10, make sure you bring at 1 or more buckets filled with water

*im 99% sure of these numbers
**im 85% sure about these numbers
There are actual stats on the minecraft wiki where it tells you where each ore has higher percentage of showing up :p

You were close, though.

Also I'm really liking the idea of the seaside town with the building limits (2 floors) etc..
Will join asap!.

Mengy said:
Well, Booty Bay is off to a booming start. Lots of houses up already. I never did get the mine started, worked on my house instead. Not sure where I want to put the mine now anyway, have a few ideas though.

Here is a pic of how the town looks from the north shore:

Wow, the town's looking great - I really like the design of your house Mengy, very unique! And I like the houses down by the shore connected by a board-walk too. Started work on my house last night, hopefully I'll finish it today.

As for the community mine, I still think a prime spot is in the back of the island's middle section - I started digging out some steps going downward, but didn't get very far and as I don't really build well-organised mines I thought it best to leave to someone else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
13.6 gives you the best chance of diamond (and other materials) but should still be just above lava (you'll still run into some now and again)

At that level you can do two layers of 1x2 strip mining, staggering the channels

Ranger X

I've seen so much lava at any heights that I would personally don't fear it. Dig cautiously because it's basically anywhere. :/

Mengy

Bootaaay said:
As for the community mine, I still think a prime spot is in the back of the island's middle section - I started digging out some steps going downward, but didn't get very far and as I don't really build well-organised mines I thought it best to leave to someone else.

Leave it to me Booty, I'm going to start the mine tonight. My house detailing can wait. During my exploring I saw where you started digging out, thats about the location I was going to put it. However, I was thinking about starting it from up top on the flat of the grassy area and building a little mine house for the entrance, a bit north of Mik's nice cabin. That way it can be connected by the road that crosses the crescent of the bay, kind of central to the whole town limits.

Originally I was planning on going the opposite direction that yours went, down and to the east and away from spawn point. But after seeing yours last night and thinking about it a bit, I may just take the mine westward and back towards spawn like your digging was, for two reasons:

1. Booty Bay is far from spawn point, maybe our goal for the mine should be to tunnel all the way back to the spawn area?
2. Back tracking under pre-explored land will help keep the file size of Neocraft down, instead of tunneling into an area that will generate new lands

What is everyone else's opinion on this? Should the mine go into new lands or back towards the spawn area?

The best is Y:11, that is, in debug, 12'6.

Is just above the lava. Y:12 leave you one block above the lava, Y:11 leave you exactly in lava level, I like it more in that way.

defel

I think mining back to the spawn is a good idea. Then we can have a little underground railway line between spawn and Bootybay

Yeah, I like the sound of that, although we run the risk of cutting into any underground stuff people have built. Currently people will only know about the place if they use the /warp command, but it'd be nice to have an underground railroad to the island starting near the spawn. Perhaps it could link up to Ark's minecart station, if he's cool with it of course.

defel1111 said:
I think mining back to the spawn is a good idea. Then we can have a little underground railway line between spawn and Bootybay

Definitely the way to go. If we are going to be digging underground, it doesn't matter if we head back to spawn or somewhere else as far as terrain, so we may as well use what has already been created.

Ranger X

Is there at least a bridge reaching the Booty bay? Maybe a bridge could branch from Ark's Castle's one?
I love to be a pedestrial and actually reach locations "for real" instead of warping.

Ranger X said:
Is there at least a bridge reaching the Booty bay? Maybe a bridge could branch from Ark's Castle's one?
I love to be a pedestrian and actually reach locations "for real" instead of warping.

Nope, there's no bridge currently, but if one branched off from Ark's bridge due east it'd get you pretty much straight to the bay, but it'd mostly be overland.

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
Nope, there's no bridge currently, but if one branched off from Ark's bridge due east it'd get you pretty much straight to the bay, but it'd mostly be overland.

That's what I thought. Well, personally I find that bridge idea interesting. Also, you guys are planning to stay in Booty Bay for a long time or... ?
Because I'm not even nearly done with my house and terrain in Middleland but it already feels like a ghost town. Right now I'm saying to myself, should I go have a settlement in Booty Bay right or only later when I am done in Middleland?
Because if I come around later, you might all go into some other project and I will, yet again, build my house in a ghost town... lol

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Here is my house/area on NeoCraft. Since I have been a hermit since I joined I figured I would share it here.

This is my house and farm.
5712721755_c3374c5e04_z.jpg

This is the walkway from my house to my mine and the Lake.
5712722535_661d27fa26_z.jpg

This is the Dock and Circle Mine I made in the water.
5712722285_28e5bb2392_z.jpg

Ranger X said:
That's what I thought. Well, personally I find that bridge idea interesting. Also, you guys are planning to stay in Booty Bay for a long time or... ?
Because I'm not even nearly done with my house and terrain in Middleland but it already feels like a ghost town. Right now I'm saying to myself, should I go have a settlement in Booty Bay right or only later when I am done in Middleland?
Because if I come around later, you might all go into some other project and I will, yet again, build my house in a ghost town... lol

It's fair to say that we're going to be there for a while - at the moment everyone is just setting up their houses. We're keeping them to the southern tip of the island, as there's a lot of space and the land slopes well. If you want to jump in, I'd say do so now as there's still a good few prime spots on the coast and cliffs that haven't been touched yet and once that's gone people are going to have to put their houses on the unused land behind, so won't have as good a view.

The reason we're trying to keep the houses in one area is to firstly make it feel like a village and secondly because the middle of the island and the northern tip are going to be used for other things. If all goes to plan the middle is going to house community buildings, like a communal mine, farms, an inn, etc, while the northern tip is going to have a stone harbour and dock with a number of smaller boats, maybe a pier, a lighthouse and perhaps a community castle that'll later be connected to walls surrounding the settlement.

Mengy

kodt said:
Can someone post and updated map? I would like to see the progress since the last update.

Yeah, a new map would be interesting. There is a whole town where before there wasn't!

Sounds like the consensus is that I should direct the mine back to spawn, which is what I was leaning towards last night after seeing Booty's dig. Okay, the mine will be the first thing I work on tonight. I need more coal anyway, lol. Many stone picks will die a glorious death tonight...

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
It's fair to say that we're going to be there for a while - at the moment everyone is just setting up their houses. We're keeping them to the southern tip of the island, as there's a lot of space and the land slopes well. If you want to jump in, I'd say do so now as there's still a good few prime spots on the coast and cliffs that haven't been touched yet and once that's gone people are going to have to put their houses on the unused land behind, so won't have as good a view.

The reason we're trying to keep the houses in one area is to firstly make it feel like a village and secondly because the middle of the island and the northern tip are going to be used for other things. If all goes to plan the middle is going to house community buildings, like a communal mine, farms, an inn, etc, while the northern tip is going to have a stone harbour and dock with a number of smaller boats, maybe a pier, a lighthouse and perhaps a community castle that'll later be connected to walls surrounding the settlement.

I'll try to do both then. I will secure myself some area tonight at Booty Bay and will both finish my Middleland house and start the new one at the same time.

Well I'm quite new to the Minecraft scene, but would love to play on the GAF server whenever possible. Just looking over the map, I'm incredibly impressed and excited by whats going on there. I wrote Minecraft off slightly when I first heard about it but I gave it a second chance and can't stop!

I'd love to join in on the construction of the coastal town, as well. Such a great idea!

bengraven

That's right, apologize for the fast minecarts. Let's go back to stressing over how we can set up minecarts to get some decent speed.

bengraven

In his defense, they are glitches.

And I think he realizes that people have come to like those glitches, but as a dev it's better to create an alternate feature to replace the glitch.

So let's hope he brings in elevators. :p

defel

Finished the outside of my house as well as the pier and built a little Ice Cream parlour which is still a work in progress. The place is looking awesome

Ranger X

bengraven said:

And I think he realizes that people have come to like those glitches, but as a dev it's better to create an alternate feature to replace the glitch.

Exactly.

bug_vs_feature.gif

webrunner

bengraven said:

Can you make elevators using pistons?

Nerfed elevators... That's how I died on the server just now :p

How do you guys navigate such a huge map? I'd love to get to the coastal area that's being built up but I just don't know my way around.

Top Bottom