• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mik2121

I started building my house on the coast, too!. But I'm a bit busy with work so I won't have more time until tomorrow :(

I didn't place any sign, but it's probably the only one kinda "far" (not really, just not sitting right NEXT to another house) from the main group, on top of some sand and with some stairs to get inside. I hollowed a bit of the mountain next to it to make the stairs for the second floor.

Also forgot to put a sign, so if someone can go and place a temporary "Mik's Bungalow" or something like that next to it, i'd appreciate it (I would change the place tomorrow, so any place is ok).

bengraven

Ranger X said:
Exactly.

bug_vs_feature.gif

LOL Exactly.

webrunner said:
Can you make elevators using pistons?

I think pistons only go one block high? I think? So maybe no?

Then again, some person smarter than I will find a way.

I still think we just need free-standing ropes.

webrunner said:
Can you make elevators using pistons?

You can theoretically make elevators using the new sticky pistons and some really clever timing with redstone (going up is easy; going down is hard), but it's not practical.

Oh, hi. Been lurking for a while. So far I've only played MC solo, but it's great seeing what you guys are coming up with on the NeoCraft server!

If anyone's going to be putting up new houses in the coastal area there's still a lot of space to build on between the welcome centre and the houses on the coast, and space along the cliff next to Zod's house, and on the beach next to my house. No need to build too far away.

As a rule of thumb, please don't go any further than where Mik is setting up along the coast as there's limited space on the other side of the island, which will make it difficult building the bigger structures and community buildings if a bunch of people have set up their houses there.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
How do you guys navigate such a huge map? I'd love to get to the coastal area that's being built up but I just don't know my way around.

There's a warp to the coastal area, just type /warp to see all the warps available.

bengraven

Bootaaay said:
If anyone's going to be putting up new houses in the coastal area there's still a lot of space to build on between the welcome centre and the houses on the coast, and space along the cliff next to Zod's house, and on the beach next to my house. No need to build too far away.

As a rule of thumb, please don't go any further than where Mik is setting up along the coast as there's limited space on the other side of the island, which will make it difficult building the bigger structures and community buildings if a bunch of people have set up their houses there.

There's a warp to the coastal area, just type /warp to see all the warps available.

I'd like to build a little tavern or something there if you don't mind? I'll wait until I'm on with some of you guys to show me what's available.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bootaaay said:

Yeah, I actually walked it last night, through rain and darkness, all the way to Booty Bay. And when I got there and saw people porting in by the signs, I thought to myself "I wonder if Ark set up a warp yet?" Sure enough, he had!

Mik2121

Yaweee said:
Is that mod used on Ark's server? Seems like it would be an awesome way to get to my floating continent.
Floating continent?

Le what?

Did you copy my floating island? grfhghhhghh...

Ark

Server going down in ~15 minutes.

Since I can't actually close it to everyone, I'll just limit the players to one.

Toki1776

Mengy said:
Yeah, a new map would be interesting. There is a whole town where before there wasn't!

Sounds like the consensus is that I should direct the mine back to spawn, which is what I was leaning towards last night after seeing Booty's dig. Okay, the mine will be the first thing I work on tonight. I need more coal anyway, lol. Many stone picks will die a glorious death tonight...

I will get the new map up once I get another backup from Ark. I think I'm going to upgrade the capacity of my Dropbox, so I have room to put up the cave map and a night view, too!

And I like the idea of heading back toward spawn, with the mine. It will be the easiest way to connect a track from spawn to Booty Bay.

Ranger X said:
I'll try to do both then. I will secure myself some area tonight at Booty Bay and will both finish my Middleland house and start the new one at the same time.

That's what I've been doing. I'm nowhere near done with my first house, but the community project is hard to resist :)

Yaweee

Mik2121 said:
Floating continent?

Le what?

Did you copy my floating island? grfhghhhghh...

Eh, the server is big enough where there can be many floating things without the feeling like copies. There's a lake near my (in-progress) castle that nobody has built in, so I started a series of ever-expanding floating islands and other things up in the air. For now, the main island is supported by a 1x1 dirt/ladder, but I might set my /home up there and destroy the ladder.

Ark

You know what would make this community project even better? iConomy for all the harbour shops, to sell food and stuff! :)

Server is down now, be up in 1-2 hours hopefully.

bengraven said:
I'd like to build a little tavern or something there if you don't mind? I'll wait until I'm on with some of you guys to show me what's available.

Well, there's a point at the back of the island where I started to carve stairs for a mine - Mengy's going to build the proper mine there I think, and I had imagined that as it's a community mine it should be in the centre. So, if you want to build an inn, do it beyond that point, which is roughly the area above where Mik's house is.

As long as people don't build further along the coast yet, that's fine - I need to lay out the foundations for the harbour, but once that's done people will be able to build alongside it.

Ark said:
You know what would make this community project even better? iConomy for all the harbour shops, to sell food and stuff! :)

That would be excellent - I had thought we could have a number of shops, grocers, bakers, butchers, weapons, armour, materials, etc, but it'd be even better if they were actually functional.

Ark

Bootaaay said:
That would be excellent - I had thought we could have a number of shops, grocers, bakers, butchers, weapons, armour, materials, etc, but it'd be even better if they were actually functional.

I'll put it in during this downtime so we can at least test it out.

Bootaaay said:
Well, there's a point at the back of the island where I started to carve stairs for a mine - Mengy's going to build the proper mine there I think, and I had imagined that as it's a community mine it should be in the centre. So, if you want to build an inn, do it beyond that point, which is roughly the area above where Mik's house is.

As long as people don't build further along the coast yet, that's fine - I need to lay out the foundations for the harbour, but once that's done people will be able to build alongside it.

I was going to build a pier next to Mik's cabin and put my house on there, it creates more of a half-circle shaped bay. Would that be ok or shall I left you do whatever you're going to do to the harbour first? Your call.

------------

Dingle & Doogie, why did you insist on joining the server after I locked it down to 1 player?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bootaaay said:

Yeah, the mine will be in the area where your digs are, but a little more up toward the flat ground level, as I'm going to build a little mine house around the entrance. At some point I'd like to build a minecart station next to the mine house, with some kind of cart system that we can ride up and down to bedrock. If I get that far tonight I may lay the foundation for the station too. It would be cool if the tavern went right there near the station and mine house. I'm going to put both buildings back towards the east of the grass area, in trying my best to keep the harbor side open for more houses or taverns or buildings that could enjoy the view more.

Ark said:
I was going to build a pier next to Mik's cabin and put my house on there, it creates more of a half-circle shaped bay. Would that be ok or shall I left you do whatever you're going to do to the harbour first? Your call.

Yeah, that'll be fine I reckon, as long as there's still a good amount of coastline for the harbour.

I had imagined that the harbour would snake along the coast of the northern part of the island into a sea-wall that would bridge the gaps between those sand islands out to sea (with a harbour mouth of course).

Also, I had thought that if we have a bunch of shops, taverns and inns along the harbour that they could be built to a different theme, more based on smooth stone than wood. What do you guys think?

Ark

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, that'll be fine I reckon, as long as there's still a good amount of coastline for the harbour.

I had imagined that the harbour would snake along the coast of the northern part of the island into a sea-wall that would bridge the gaps between those sand islands out to sea (with a harbour mouth of course).

Also, I had thought that if we have a bunch of shops, taverns and inns along the harbour that they could be built to a different theme, more based on smooth stone than wood. What do you guys think?

Stone...on a wooden harbour? Doesn't work for me :L

stabi

Neo Member
Hi guys! I've been a lurker on GAF for quite some time and I basically decided to create an account for the sake of minecraft. I've bought this game for some weeks now but what you guys are doing on multiplayer sounds really appealing!

I saw that Ark's server wasn't that big and I wanted to know how many players are on it and the rush hours. I'll feel uneasy to come over if there's already not enough room for people that are already on it ! (I live in France and my play-time would be 19h-22h GMT+0)

Bootaaay said:

Thank you so much for this information. Didn't know you could do that. I'm clearly still new to the game.

Ark

stabi said:
Hi guys! I've been a lurker on GAF for quite some time and I basically decided to create an account for the sake of minecraft. I've bought this game for some weeks now but what you guys are doing on multiplayer sounds really appealing!

I saw that Ark's server wasn't that big and I wanted to know how many players are on it and the rush hours. I'll feel uneasy to come over if there's already not enough room for people that are already on it ! (I live in France and my play-time would be 19h-22h GMT+0)

Don't worry, there's a few UK/EU guys (inc me) that are on around 6pm-12am GMT. Most of the North American's tend to come on around 8-9pm GMT.

Ark

Great. I shut down the server to fix the lag, on the day the server decides to have none at all!

The good news is, I think I know what the problem is (high CPU usage)

The bad news is, the solution involves money (RAM upgrade)

Now then, time to do everything else.

In the mean time, can people please stop going off exploring 400000000 blocks away that what already exists because it takes up valuable CPU power.

guest1321

Hey guys I built that suspension bridge a couple pages back and have been looking for another bridge project since then. If you guys are down I would really like to take the lead on building the bridge to booty bay. I was thinking up some designs but nothing too appealing quite yet, but point being I could share them for approval first.

Shambles

Are people just idling on neocraft? It seems now that no matter the time of day I try to connect it's full. If you're not actively playing logoff and give others a chance to work on their project people ;)

Ark

guest1321 said:
Whats the jump?

At the moment it's £35 every three months for 600mb of RAM and 15-player slots.

An upgrade to 1024mb of RAM and 20-player slots would increase the cost to £65 every three months.

As it currently stands; the server has received over £75 in donations. £11 of which went to the upgrade from 10-15 players. Which leaves us at £65, I pledged to pay for the initial 10-player cost every three months, which is an extra £20 from me.

At the moment, I don't know how much it would cost to upgrade to 20 players with 1024mb RAM, although I can't imagine it's anymore than £15. Which would then mean the total three-monthly cost would increase to £65 (The renewal payment for the server is on the 30th July).

I had planned to upgrade the RAM come July anyway, but it appears that will have to be brought forward. But having said that, provided we upgrade within the fortnight, I would like to aim to increase the RAM yet again come July.

------

Shambles said:
Are people just idling on neocraft? It seems now that no matter the time of day I try to connect it's full. If you're not actively playing logoff and give others a chance to work on their project people ;)

If you're referring to now, I've locked the server down to one player, and I'm taking that slot up whilst I do some maintenance on the server.

Yaweee

Ark said:
Great. I shut down the server to fix the lag, on the day the server decides to have none at all!

The good news is, I think I know what the problem is (high CPU usage)

The bad news is, the solution involves money (RAM upgrade)

Now then, time to do everything else.

In the mean time, can people please stop going off exploring 400000000 blocks away that what already exists because it takes up valuable CPU power.

Is CPU power used only when exploring (due to it generating the new area), or does expanding the map place a constant burden on the server?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Ark said:

I went exploring near my house looking for Clay. You grant me magical clay and I will stay home : )

Kyaw

20 players with 1GB of RAM costs £68.63 for 3 months (plus 20 slot vent server)

or £22.88 monthly.

I'm down with donating £10 monthly.

guest1321

I will be making a donation as well in the next week I just need to wait for bills to come through. That being said I say we push forward with the RAM upgrade and maybe slots. Although it isn't my call by any stretch of the imagination, I thought I would voice my opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got it... oh sweet god this is going to be a problem.

Got some HD texture packs (looks amazing) and the Portal Mod. Making the Heel Springs a craftable item was a stroke of genius.

NEED MORE DIAMONDS

Some of the stuff posted in this thread is incredible! You guys are so creative. It's intimidating.

I don't have anything much impressive built yet, but I have started making a high-floating cart monorail system to navigate the world which I think will be pretty cool. Here's the little I've done so far:
pKEQKl.jpg

I basically started it as a long bridge in the air above my house to walk to a nearby forest without having to traverse the ground, and I'm gonna make it a minecart network with powered rails and switches (so it will have stops). All I'll have to do is portal up to it from my home, get in the cart and hit a switch and I'll be able to navigate the whole network. :D Oh and I can just jump down to the ground when I reach my stop, because of course, no falling damage. Woo!

Ark

The server is back open.

I've added a Veteran rank, sorted out Moderator permissions, added a small 'spawn room' underneath the spawn with some signs with rules and such on them. Moved the spawn to this area too.

I haven't added in a 'spawn entrance' for BootyBay yet, but there's a welcome centre there. Can always edit that a bit later on.

I've added in iConomy now too, I'll be working on that now whilst the server is open.

Ark said:
I'm going to cancel the Vent server because it gets no love.

Use the neogaf mumble server, I will find the info later when I can.

The addition of iConomy is a fantastic idea. The addition of economy adds a lot of substance to a server I feel.

Also, I am more than willing to donate some dough to the cause of neoCraft, especially if it means I will be more likely to play on the server :)

Ark

Keep in mind that iConomy will not dictate the server. The concensus I got before was that people weren't too keen on iConomy, I've really only added it in to give some extra life to BootyBay.

It's also just a trial period. iConomy may be removed if it doesn't prove useful.

EDIT: And on that note, iConomy is complicated as heck to work out..

EDIT2: iConomy is just giving me errors at the moment, so I've taken it off.

Ranger X

hmm... I wish the spawn wasn't moved. It was really useful for me because I used it instead of "/home" and was using "/home" as a sort of marker when I was exploring or anywhere I needed to comeback to in a fast fashion.
Not that it's game breaking for me either, it will just make Middleland a Ghost Town super fast though.

guest1321

Ranger X said:
hmm... I wish the spawn wasn't moved.

The new spawn is ~10 blocks underground with stairs leading to the previous spawn location. Note: I may be wrong but it doesn't seem that far away from the prior one.

Ark

Ranger X said:
hmm... I wish the spawn wasn't moved. It was really useful for me because I used it instead of "/home" and was using "/home" as a sort of marker when I was exploring or anywhere I needed to comeback to in a fast fashion.
Not that it's game breaking for me either, it will just make Middleland a Ghost Town super fast though.

Like Guest said, the spawn has moved by about 10 blocks underground lol.

It's in exactly the same place as it was before, don't worry.

What is the server etiquette for building and such. I noticed someone mention community chests? Where are they located? I'm really interested in building a home in the Harbour area but don't want to cause any issues. Sorry for the beginner's questionnaire.

Ark

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
What is the server etiquette for building and such. I noticed someone mention community chests? Where are they located? I'm really interested in building a home in the Harbour area but don't want to cause any issues. Sorry for the beginner's questionnaire.

The BootyBay area (the harbour) area does have a couple of building rules:

Building must not be taller than two storeys, built out of wood, not too silly/large. Stick to the theme of the harbour. Oh, and make sure your house looks like.

Otherwise, it's free to build anywhere in the middleland (spawn area).

Ranger X

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Rules should now be in the spawn room/building.
There are indeed community chests under the station right beside the spawn. Otherwise, you're not supposed to open any other chests. Always lock yours.
I won't go on about Booty Bay specific rules, I haven't got there yet. However, as a general rule we don't leave floating trees, no griefing (duh), replant trees you cut or stuff you just harvested.

Thanks to both for replying. I just saw the rules in the spawn room after seeing the spawn command. I was in the harbour. I think I'll stick to the Middleland and build something if it is a bit more open for business so to speak. I appreciate the community chests, I was able to pick up some cobblestone and a pickaxe or two. Also should I be concerned about getting materials from somewhere I'm not supposed to?

So other than the harbour area, building rules aren't really in place? The spawn area looks amazing by the way.

Ark

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Thanks to both for replying. I just saw the rules in the spawn room after seeing the spawn command. I was in the harbour. I think I'll stick to the Middleland and build something if it is a bit more open for business so to speak. I appreciate the community chests, I was able to pick up some cobblestone and a pickaxe or two.

So other than the harbour area, building rules aren't really in place? The spawn area looks amazing by the way.

Just common sense. Don't build stupid/ugly stuff, don't build too close to other peoples buildings, etc etc.

Also, I would like to announce that Toki1776 is NeoCrafts' first moderator! Woooo *confetti*

I'm going to be looking to appoint a second moderator before the weekend is over, so watch out.

Ark said:
Just common sense. Don't build stupid/ugly stuff, don't build too close to other peoples buildings, etc etc.

Also, I would like to announce that Toki1776 is NeoCrafts' first moderator! Woooo *confetti*

I'm going to be looking to appoint a second moderator before the weekend is over, so watch out.

Excellent, thank you. I would hate to mess up the awesome vibe so I'm trying to be cautious. Thanks again. I'm going now to find a spot to build!

Top Bottom