• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

.nimrod

The eyesockets have some nice depth to them as it is right now, and adding torches/lava/glowstone would probably kill that in daylight.
So i'm not so sure about that, i might have to try some things though, since it's pretty much completely black at night.

Fancy lava streams are gonna be inside the nether portal hall down below anyway :D#

edit: Oh, and i love mobs spawning inside the skull (it's hollow), makes a great atmosphere hearing them through the walls :D

.nimrod

Jasoco said:
Well, it depends on whether you want to see it at night or not.

Yeah, it's a lose/lose situation ;)

Thinking about it, i might try something with redstone in there, i've read about a day/night detector

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, if you can find a way to turn light off during the day but on at night. Lava is the brightest though. Glowstone is so dim and torches would just look silly. Redstone ones aren't bright enough either. Isn't there a mod to turn Netherrack on and off? THAT would be perfect. Fire is just as bright as lava.

Vlad

.nimrod said:
The eyesockets have some nice depth to them as it is right now, and adding torches/lava/glowstone would probably kill that in daylight.
So i'm not so sure about that, i might have to try some things though, since it's pretty much completely black at night.

Fancy lava streams are gonna be inside the nether portal hall down below anyway :D#

edit: Oh, and i love mobs spawning inside the skull (it's hollow), makes a great atmosphere hearing them through the walls :D

I haven't been on that server yet, but if it's running Falsebook or Craftbook you can use the Day/Night sensor in that to light up Netherrack/Pumpkins/Glowstone in the eyes when night falls and turn it back off in the morning.

I did something similar on Exano's old survival server. Made a big creeper statue, set up some netherrack and redstone wiring in the eyes so that the netherrack would burn at night only.

guest1321

If you were to recess torches into the eye sockets? Like finish the eye sockets, then dig a hole 1 block down somewhere in the middle of the bottom of the eye socket and drop a torch in there. I'm not too sure about how brightly it would light the eyes at night but during the the torches wont make a difference right?

Blizzard

Banned
From Twitter, it looks like minecart side-by-side boosting is finally getting removed, but the new minecart boosters were made speedier. Hopefully they'll be a fitting replacement. :D

Ranger X

Blizzard said:
From Twitter, it looks like minecart side-by-side boosting is finally getting removed, but the new minecart boosters were made speedier. Hopefully they'll be a fitting replacement. :D

oh well, what I am dreaming of is diagonal tracks and tracks that can "float" in the air.
At least here they are fixing a bug by making it a feature -- and that's the way to go!

Grinchy

Banned
My experience with minecarts and tracks consists of making a cart and using it on someone else's track lol. I really wish I was more into that aspect of this game but it takes so much damn iron and gold that it seems like too much of a grinding project.

bengraven

Totally sorry if I built my little grub shack too close to someone's house on Ark's server.

:( I can take it down and rebuild somewhere else.

Mining Report! (Assuming I copied things down correctly)

Tunnel Without A Cause starts at {X: -873 (north,) Y: 13 (up,) Z: -1874 (west)}

The spawn point is at {X: -724 (north,) Y: 52 (up,) Z: -826 (west)}

The tunnel currently reaches to {X: -501 (north,) Y: 9 (up,) Z: -1209 (west)}

Just put in a rest stop with a little altar to the Sun God, as I haven't been above ground in a bit. Thanks much to Toki for helping with wood supplies.

upandaway

Jasoco said:
They're not bright enough. And would look horrible. The lava would light up the caverns in the eyes enough to look perfect.
Ooooh. Wait a sec. Can you have a lava waterfall fall out from one of his eyes? Like he's crying and stuff?

Damn that would be neat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you dug down a block inside the eye sockets and put a layer of lava (don't know how wide), it'd light up the eyes at night, and you wouldn't be able to see it from the ground. Don't know why you'd particularly want to turn it off in the day, it wouldn't be that noticeable anyway

.nimrod

Hawkian said:

O_O
I hadn't seen that before.

Lava flowing out of the eyes is definitely not an option for me though, i want it to look more like an old ruin that has been excavated.
Anyway, all that is still far off and it's gonna take some more days of relocating blocks

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, making a button-based track switching station is kinda tricky. I need you to be able to choose either direction from any of three incoming directions...

EDIT: I know this wouldn't be helping it look like an excavated relic, but netherrack on fire inside the eyes might look pretty cool.. :p

Oh also- is anyone in here using any cool texture packs? I play mostly with one based on Wind Waker, it's gorgeous... and every once in a while I play with the Photo Realistic pack which is pretty nice too.

Check out my treefarm and aquarium (this is with the wind waker pack)!
rEHXbl.jpg

And an earlier shot when the aquarium wasn't as large yet... a creeper trapped in there, suffering for my amusement (this one is the realistic pack).
TTmQ1l.jpg

Zaphod

Hawkian said:
Oh also- is anyone in here using any cool texture packs? I play mostly with one based on Wind Waker, it's gorgeous... and every once in a while I play with the Photo Realistic pack which is pretty nice too.

I can't seem to find the Wind Walker pack. Could you post a link to it?

Stitch

Gold Member
Oh my god Minecraft4kids with shaders looks so good. It's good to be able to play the game without getting eyecancer. A shame that notch doesn't even support mipmapping.

7lRmS.jpg

what a strange guy... yeah it sucks, and textures higher than 16x16 too, I'm so Indie fuck yeah...

Ranger X

Stitch said:
Oh my god Minecraft4kids with shaders looks so good. It's good to be able to play the game without getting eyecancer. A shame that notch doesn't even support mipmapping.

7lRmS.jpg

what a strange guy... yeah it sucks, and textures higher than 16x16 too, I'm so Indie fuck yeah...

Whatever man, I, for one think it's genius to couple of squarish look of the game with a really retro art style. All those realistic texture packs feels wierd and out of place to me. The beauty of Minecraft is retro.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I'm finding that I really like the realistic texture packs for all of 20 minutes before reverting back.

I kinda like the minecraft4kids pack so far. The cel-shaded look is pretty sweet, although I think the torches stick out a bit too much.

+1 for minecraft4kids. Rocking that with the default water and lava (although tiled up to 128), bettergrass and the GLSL mod to I can have a curved world and 16xMSAA. Glorious. :D
(although I don't like the mob or tool textures)

Pictures taken from just outside my place on Timan's server.

I think any texture pack will look terrible until you use it for a while. I used to hate them, too, and could always find some tiny thing to complain about, but I accidentally left one on for a while, and now I'm so used to it.

Really, my only problem with the default pack is that too much cobblestone looks terrible.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So that's why so many are complaining about cobble. They're using the ugly ass default. Seriously, any texture pack looks better and there are so many to choose from, even ones that aren't a huge leap from default but far more attractive. What's the holdup?

All the condescending remarks in this thread about other people's creations & material choices because they're too lazy to get a texture pack or update a single texture in Photoshop has kept me off certain servers.

Jasoco

Banned
Cobble default looks like shit. At least use one that looks like stone bricks. I use sandstone that looks like yellow sand bricks too to make my houses look nicer. Custom textures are awesome. I use Painterly.

Ranger X

xelios said:
All the condescending remarks in this thread about other people's creations & material choices because they're too lazy to get a texture pack or update a single texture in Photoshop has kept me off certain servers.

lol lol are you serious?
People seriously give a damn about what packs others are using? And you personally do too?? ?? ? ?

xelios

Ranger X said:
lol lol are you serious?
People seriously give a damn about what packs others are using? And you personally do too?? ?? ? ?

I think you misunderstood. I don't give a damn what texture pack anyone uses or what materials they build out of, I give a damn when they condescend others for what they build because they don't like a certain texture -- when the fix for that is editing the .png yourself to something more attractive, getting a texture pack, or just dealing with it and letting others express their own creativity. There are several ways you don't have to look at an ugly cobblestone texture without telling someone, "I don't like it. Don't use it."

mcrae

Hawkian said:
Wow, making a button-based track switching station is kinda tricky. I need you to be able to choose either direction from any of three incoming directions...

EDIT: I know this wouldn't be helping it look like an excavated relic, but netherrack on fire inside the eyes might look pretty cool.. :p

Check out my treefarm and aquarium (this is with the wind waker pack)!
rEHXbl.jpg

And an earlier shot when the aquarium wasn't as large yet... a creeper trapped in there, suffering for my amusement (this one is the realistic pack).
TTmQ1l.jpg

hey man, im not 100% on this, but i think trees require something liek a 3x3x8 block in order to grow

Ark

xelios said:
I think you misunderstood. I don't give a damn what texture pack anyone uses or what materials they build out of, I give a damn when they condescend others for what they build because they don't like a certain texture -- when the fix for that is editing the .png yourself to something more attractive, getting a texture pack, or just dealing with it and letting others express their own creativity. There are several ways you don't have to look at an ugly cobblestone texture without telling someone, "I don't like it. Don't use it."

Clearly we're reading two different threads.

xelios

Maybe. There's been a lot of whining and condescension throughout the thread by a select few individuals about what other people are building and the materials they are using. Which is unnecessary when every texture in the game is self-editable or replaceable through texture packs. Some people don't see the monstrosity another might see when they're building because of that. No one is forced to look at an ugly material.

Point made so I'll stop derailing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I need some goddamn new glass. I hate the default glass skin, and my hacked better glass (an old skin) no longer works. I also, obviously, lost the texture pack I made with it.

Current glass just obstructs my view too damn much.

xelios

drizzle said:
I need some goddamn new glass. I hate the default glass skin, and my hacked better glass (an old skin) no longer works. I also, obviously, lost the texture pack I made with it.

Current glass just obstructs my view too damn much.

Yeah that gets annoying. I'm still on my hunt to find the best glass.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'd like to join Civil War, how do I proceed? Been a while since I played MC, back to right before portals were added.

Top Bottom