• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

KillerAJD

Ether_Snake said:
I'd like to join Civil War, how do I proceed? Been a while since I played MC, back to right before portals were added.
To join the Civil War server, you have to post in the MC forums thread to apply for gray listing. From then, you can be a nomad or join a faction. You can still check out some stuff before you are gray listed, but you won't be able to destroy/place blocks, etc. That actually works out a bit because it gives some time to check the wiki/forums and ask questions which can be answered by "veteran" players.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All I want is the glass texture tho. How would I even go about doing that?

I knew back on pre 1.5 days, where I had to open the minecraft .jar and replace textures. Now, with the new stuff, I have no idea how to change ONE thing only.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
drizzle said:
All I want is the glass texture tho. How would I even go about doing that?

I knew back on pre 1.5 days, where I had to open the minecraft .jar and replace textures. Now, with the new stuff, I have no idea how to change ONE thing only.

Go into the texture pack and take out terrain.png, open it up with a photo editor then just edit the part you want then replace it. Can change just the colors or the entire texture.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The only texture pack i ever really liked was the 3D Dot Game Heroes one, looks beautiful and fits Minecraft so well.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Anyone else having problems connecting to Ark's server? I was online and it starting lagging while I was attacking mobs in a cave. They just stood there looking at me. So I disconnected and re-logged, and only part of the world loaded. Now I get connection errors.

Ranger X

xelios said:
I think you misunderstood. I don't give a damn what texture pack anyone uses or what materials they build out of, I give a damn when they condescend others for what they build because they don't like a certain texture -- when the fix for that is editing the .png yourself to something more attractive, getting a texture pack, or just dealing with it and letting others express their own creativity. There are several ways you don't have to look at an ugly cobblestone texture without telling someone, "I don't like it. Don't use it."

I get you. There are certain rules that certain server holders are making that sort of go against the spirit of Minecraft for some. All I know is that we shouldn't play in those servers if they aren't pleasing to us.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
KillerAJD said:
To join the Civil War server, you have to post in the MC forums thread to apply for gray listing. From then, you can be a nomad or join a faction. You can still check out some stuff before you are gray listed, but you won't be able to destroy/place blocks, etc. That actually works out a bit because it gives some time to check the wiki/forums and ask questions which can be answered by "veteran" players.

Ok thanks I'll check this out later.

Ranger X

Calm Killer said:
Anyone else having problems connecting to Ark's server? I was online and it starting lagging while I was attacking mobs in a cave. They just stood there looking at me. So I disconnected and re-logged, and only part of the world loaded. Now I get connection errors.

Yeah the server just crapped out. Also, I had more lag today than any day before

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rabbit Lord said:
I feel the exact opposite, I switch between 3 packs. Can't stand the vanilla look.

Same here. Seeing the high-res textures everywhere is quite worthwhile. I like Balea's water and the way some of the ores look, and Photo Realistic is pretty grand when looking out at an impressive vista (I think I have a screenshot of a huge lake with that pack on somewhere, looking shiny). But minecraft4kids/wind waker is definitely my main one. It really suits the Minecraft world. Plus they made very, very wise UI contrast decisions which the majority of texture pack makers seem to not consider at all (glass is CLEAR WITH BLACK LINES, if you make a dark background with black lines you won't be able to find it in your chests!).

The default graphics make my eyes bleed. :-/ I appreciate the simplicity and it is awesome how modular the "everything's a block" look becomes. But the textures themselves (especially resolution-wise) just kind of blow.

Besides, I think the wind waker pack totally captures and amplifies the "retro" look that Minecraft does best. I will concede that the realistic packs look a bit weird considering the structure of the world, but that one pack really works!

mcrae said:
hey man, im not 100% on this, but i think trees require something liek a 3x3x8 block in order to grow

You are in fact 0 percent on that! They grow like crazy, especially with all the natural light during the day. I can take a screenshot of how silly it looks when I forget to maintain it for a while, the room basically becomes a solid leaf block deposit.

Cindres said:
The only texture pack i ever really liked was the 3D Dot Game Heroes one, looks beautiful and fits Minecraft so well.

want please! please want!

Grinchy

Banned
drizzle said:
I need some goddamn new glass. I hate the default glass skin, and my hacked better glass (an old skin) no longer works. I also, obviously, lost the texture pack I made with it.

Current glass just obstructs my view too damn much.

Hey, I'd be happy to make a terrain.png file if you'd like. I could just edit it into this post if you're interested. Just let me know which texture pack you'd like better glass for. For my default pack, I typically just make it clear glass with a very light blue/white single pixel border but I could use another pack's glass if you'd prefer.

Qwomo

I must be the only one who thinks those 128x128 or even 64x64 photorealistic packs look really terribly out of place. Minecraft is blocky! It's supposed to be retro! GeruDoku packs or bust!

But yeah the default 16x16 textures are an abomination, I wish Notch would realize that and give it an overhaul.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Qwomo said:
I must be the only one who thinks those 128x128 or even 64x64 photorealistic packs look really terribly out of place. Minecraft is blocky! It's supposed to be retro! GeruDoku packs or bust!

But yeah the default 16x16 textures are an abomination, I wish Notch would realize that and give it an overhaul.

Yeah I get tired of them sometimes. I like the doku packs and a couple other lower res ones I go to. I don't mind the photorealistic packs when I'm in the mood, but I prefer the artsy/video game nostalgia stuff. One of the packs I use makes me feel like I'm playing Link to the Past on SNES.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Grinchy said:
Hey, I'd be happy to make a terrain.png file if you'd like. I could just edit it into this post if you're interested. Just let me know which texture pack you'd like better glass for. For my default pack, I typically just make it clear glass with a very light blue/white single pixel border but I could use another pack's glass if you'd prefer.
I did all of that. I even managed to make a "Texture Pack" for it, with the only difference being the glass.

I used the Painterly Pack "no frame" glass. I always liked it.

pvU0C.png

If anybody wants it, you can just drop this .zip file into the texturepacks folder.

Edit: I know that tree won't grow in there.. :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
And that's it. I'm already bored of my world. My monster trap didn't quite work (sure, it's a monster trap meant for multiplayer, but still), my rairoad works, but it's not that fast, I used most of the materials collected on the mine to build such railroad, which is from my house to the mine which I pretty much mined entirely (I only got enough gold to make a compass, a clock and 6 minecart boosters) and I don't have any ideas of what else to do in it.

This always happens. :D

Stitch

Gold Member
Strange, i found a huuuuuuuugeeee cave not far from my house. I'm playing in this world for months now and never seen it before... oh of course i jumped into lava and all my stuff burned and is forever lost...

Then i tried to find the cave again. When i thought that I've found the entrance i realized that it was another friggin huuuuge cave.

Also went into a cave that I've found before and found lot's of coal and other things...

Does the game create new stuff after a while or what is going on? o_O

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I created a world using the word caribbean for seed. It is full of mountainous sand and a lot of water:p BTW why isn't my char.png being used? Heck I don't even know where it is saving my save files anymore.

2jcvnua.jpg

Ranger X

Stitch said:
Strange, i found a huuuuuuuugeeee cave not far from my house. I'm playing in this world for months now and never seen it before... oh of course i jumped into lava and all my stuff burned and is forever lost...

Then i tried to find the cave again. When i thought that I've found the entrance i realized that it was another friggin huuuuge cave.

Also went into a cave that I've found before and found lot's of coal and other things...

Does the game create new stuff after a while or what is going on? o_O

No, the chunk is generated once and never change after that. It's just that you didn't notice those caves before. :)

I need cobblestone, and minerals, so I started a mine from my volcano house to the... west (i think, Z going negative). From time to time i enter in another people mine, but then I go down to Y = 8, and go up again to 11 when i found a lava lake. I plan to do a tunnel of some thousands blocks, and then go up again and create another house in there.

Ranger X

I just found out one of the cause of invisible mobs: Teleporting. (well, maybe you guys knew but I didn't see posts about it)

There was alot of mobs at all my doors in Booty Bay. I teleported back to spawn in order to fill my buckets with water and then teleported back home. The mobs were visually gone but were still there. They make no sound until they attack you. I almost got killed there because there was a creeper that exploded and zombies at my other doors were also waiting. I even killed one of them with arrows! So yeah, teleporting causes invisible mobs...

guest1321

Ranger X said:
I just found out one of the cause of invisible mobs: Teleporting. (well, maybe you guys knew but I didn't see posts about it)

There was alot of mobs at all my doors in Booty Bay. I teleported back to spawn in order to fill my buckets with water and then teleported back home. The mobs were visually gone but were still there. They make no sound until they attack you. I almost got killed there because there was a creeper that exploded and zombies at my other doors were also waiting. I even killed one of them with arrows! So yeah, teleporting causes invisible mobs...

Not the best solution, but I have experience this, and also when teleporting to players I have often found that 1 can't see the other. The fix for me is to just log out and log back on. This fixed invisible mobs, and invisible players!

Grinchy

Banned
DangerousDave said:
I need cobblestone, and minerals, so I started a mine from my volcano house to the... west (i think, Z going negative). From time to time i enter in another people mine, but then I go down to Y = 8, and go up again to 11 when i found a lava lake. I plan to do a tunnel of some thousands blocks, and then go up again and create another house in there.
hahaha I guarantee you've hit my mine. I dug down to 13.6 right behind my house (which is right in front of yours). BTW if you want extra cobble I have a TON of it. I was going to make a trip with a full inventory of it to the community chests anyway.

*edit: and yeah, I've noticed that teleporting causes invis mobs for me. I'm not sure if that's the only culprit, but I take a lot of damage when I warp to bootybay or to the regular spawn.

strata8

I'm using a modified version of JohnSmith's texture pack at the moment:

AlphaWorld9.jpg

Blockcraft.jpg

Blockcraft2.jpg

I like it, but I'm probably going to go back to Eldpack soon.

fresquito

I'm using Light Dokucraft and it's ace. I also dislike how off the game looks with most texture packs, but dekucraft in light version is like playing old 16bit RPGs in 3D :-D

I can't really go back to default.

IrishNinja

...whoah. i know i was gone for a bit (out of town/played some other games) but uh, what happened to exano's server? i went to the new civil war one from the OP (looks amazing), but is all the old stuff gone? =/

*edit: GAFland, that's what im looking for.

mcrae

IrishNinja said:
...whoah. i know i was gone for a bit (out of town/played some other games) but uh, what happened to exano's server? i went to the new civil war one from the OP (looks amazing), but is all the old stuff gone? =/

AFAIK, exano got rid of his old server (it was called gafland right?) and replaced it with the civil wars one. i think he put the old map up for download somewhere. someone else will surely know more, im just posting this in case no one else is online atm.

IrishNinja

i hope it's the permanent server. i know this is what i get for not checking in for over a month or so, i just liked some of the stuff i built in GAFland (and others had much more impressive feats). again, dont mean to be bitching cause the time i spent on the civil war server looked even more awesome, but i do hope server-changing isn't super often.

bengraven

IrishNinja said:
i hope it's the permanent server. i know this is what i get for not checking in for over a month or so, i just liked some of the stuff i built in GAFland (and others had much more impressive feats). again, dont mean to be bitching cause the time i spent on the civil war server looked even more awesome, but i do hope server-changing isn't super often.

Ark's server GAFcraft/PonyCraft is basically the new SMP GAF server. GAFland 2.0.

Top Bottom