• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Bradlums

Grinchy said:
As far as the Sky City goes, maybe we could find an area where the land happens to be lower than usual, and build as high as we could giving the illusion of being higher than we are.
We could always tnt the crap out of some land to make the ground almost to the bedrock. This would give us way more room to build the sky city and would make it appear much higher. We could gradually make the ground lower and lower to make the change in elevation not so obvious. Only problem is that it would be incredibly time consuming to do this unless the admins used tnt.

mcrae

Bradlums said:
We could always tnt the crap out of some land to make the ground almost to the bedrock. This would give us way more room to build the sky city and would make it appear much higher. We could gradually make the ground lower and lower to make the change in elevation not so obvious. Only problem is that it would be incredibly time consuming to do this unless the admins used tnt.

we should stake out an area with torches, admins should give everyone 10 stacks of tnt, set daylight to always on, and have a free for all

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That sounds like a lot of fun. After we have a few islands we could fill the "pool" with water and have waterfalls falling off the sides of the floating city Avatar/Chrono Trigger style..

Credit to Ether Snake for that general idea of course.

J-Roderton

So I downloaded what I thought was the trial version but I can't log in. Says I am not premium. I made an account on the website and everything. What gives?

guest1321

Jroderton said:
So I downloaded what I thought was the trial version but I can't log in. Says I am not premium. I made an account on the website and everything. What gives?

isn't the trial limited to in browser playing only?

Woakes

Hawkian said:
Come on! Underwater city! Haven't seen many of them.

EDIT:

A focus on just the Spirited Away stuff from Ghibli World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBKXQB3aTro&NR=1

=O

2011-05-05_201724.png

Took 3 of us a couple of weeks to do, not quite a city. Sorry it's dark but they only really show up through the water when it's night time. It's got two moon pools and two airlocks for entry, 14 minecart stations, not connected to land in anyway. The extra challenge of building underwater makes it a really fun project imo.

mcrae

tbh if i was building underwater i think i would just wall off/dome off the entire area, then build, then remove it :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Woakes said:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Woakes/2011-05-05_201724.png

Took 3 of us a couple of weeks to do, not quite a city. Sorry it's dark but they only really show up through the water when it's night time. It's got two moon pools and two airlocks for entry, 14 minecart stations, not connected to land in anyway. The extra challenge of building underwater makes it a really fun project imo.

That. is. AWESOME. I see an arboreum there too, which, I recently discovered, is actually possible to make in real life if it's shallow enough to get adequate sunlight.

We don't have to do it, but after we make the floating city if we do put it over water, I say we have at least a couple exhibits down there!

mcrae said:
tbh if i was building underwater i think i would just wall off/dome off the entire area, then build, then remove it :/

Not sure if I follow you.

mcrae

wall off a 300x300 square, or whatever, in the sea, then make a roof 1 square under the top of the ocean. boom no water to interfere with building. build, then remove the walls+roof. the water source blocks still exist since they are only on the top level of the ocean

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean, that's not a bad way to approach it. You'd still have to build everything keeping in mind that water's going to flood over every "roof" and "wall" when you undid the blocks, so it would still be a challenge. You'd need airlocks, tunnels between every room/building, etc.

Woakes

mcrae said:
wall off a 300x300 square, or whatever, in the sea, then make a roof 1 square under the top of the ocean. boom no water to interfere with building. build, then remove the walls+roof. the water source blocks still exist since they are only on the top level of the ocean

We tried that first and the only problem was the blocks under the roof are all source blocks too so you need to get rid of those. We started out by dropping sand down to the sea floor to within a block or two of the surface which is similar, but gets rid of all the source blocks for you. Later on we found better techniques, and for things like corridors it's easier just to have one person place dirt from inside an existing room while another glasses around it and uses a door on the seabed to duck into for the odd breath of air.

One place where your idea worked for us is our deep sea trench. We decided to have one area as deep as the bedrock, so we dug under the sea floor to the bottom and then caved the roof in. You do end up having to put water in where you have any overhangs though as they don't fill up naturally. It's so deep there we need two airlocks/breathing rooms to swim down from the surface to the bottom.

When my friend finishes work and puts the server back up I'll try and get a screenshot of that trench, it's monstrous!

Mik2121

I vote for the Arab city. Have the rules being:

Use only sandstone, sand and colored wool (mostly white/blue, white/red, etc.. combinations) for buildings, and some wood for fences perhaps, and doors. Have a main street and then the rest of streets being fairly small (about 3 blocks wide). All buildings have to be square-ish and not more than 3 floors tall :p (usually 1 or 2 + undergrounds)

It could be done in a few days and then we could go to the next thing (sky city sounds awesome too).

Kritz

Banned
Part of me really wants to join in with this fucking madness, but part of me feels physically ill at the idea of playing more minecraft. Maybe it's because I've spent far, far too long just... doing nothing in minecraft. I'll maybe join in later. Maybe. Sounds fun.

Jasoco

Banned
I downloading that Ghibli world and man is it awesome.

One thing that impressed me was the method they use for their minecart system. When one cart enters a station, it sends out the other cart which goes off riderless to another station. Interesting method actually. Would completely simplify my now relatevely large dispenser system. But hey, I'm proud of my Pez dispenser minecart stations. Unfortunately systems like these are designed for single player. What with one track. They'd have to redo everything and lay down second parallel tracks to make a multiplayer version.

I was exploring and made my way to the floating castle in the sky and got all the way down to the observatory when I was ambushed by a fucking skeleton. He killed me. When I respawned I was in a floating airship with a portal. Sadly they did not terraform the Nether like I had hoped. I was expecting it to be completely redone just like the normal world, but oh well.

I'm going to explore more and see if I can't get some cool ideas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jasoco said:

One thing that impressed me was the method they use for their minecart system. When one cart enters a station, it sends out the other cart which goes off riderless to another station. Interesting method actually. Would completely simplify my now relatevely large dispenser system. But hey, I'm proud of my Pez dispenser minecart stations. Unfortunately systems like these are designed for single player. What with one track. They'd have to redo everything and lay down second parallel tracks to make a multiplayer version.

I was exploring and made my way to the floating castle in the sky and got all the way down to the observatory when I was ambushed by a fucking skeleton. He killed me. When I respawned I was in a floating airship with a portal. Sadly they did not terraform the Nether like I had hoped. I was expecting it to be completely redone just like the normal world, but oh well.

So, the Nether isn't generated once per session? It's entirely formed in SSP when you first make your world?

Is the um... PonyCraft server actually up right now?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Jasoco said:

Did you find the texture pack they used?
It looked a bit "off" with original textures.

mcrae

ugh, broke my minecraft.

was following instruction in the hd texture thread here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=136785 and noticed something abotu black screen. i get black screen sometimes, and i have a 64 bit system, so i tried the fix. then i downloaded the texture pack. then i patched it with extra memory. now it freezes and runs out of memory, even if i set the memory to a eighth of what it did when it was working before. wtf.

Jasoco

Banned
mcrae said:
ugh, broke my minecraft.

was following instruction in the hd texture thread here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=136785 and noticed something abotu black screen. i get black screen sometimes, and i have a 64 bit system, so i tried the fix. then i downloaded the texture pack. then i patched it with extra memory. now it freezes and runs out of memory, even if i set the memory to a eighth of what it did when it was working before. wtf.
You should be able to start over by deleting a certain file or all of the support files. MC will just redownload all the files it needs. And it won't need to touch your save files. The support files are in a different place depending on your system. But just find your save folder and go up a couple directories and you'll probably find it. There's instructions on the interwebs.

mcrae

Jasoco said:
You should be able to start over by deleting a certain file or all of the support files. MC will just redownload all the files it needs. And it won't need to touch your save files. The support files are in a different place depending on your system. But just find your save folder and go up a couple directories and you'll probably find it. There's instructions on the interwebs.

thanks man. i tried removing the hd pack from the folder minecraft tries to read for texture packs, and that worked. it was a 256 one, and i am now using a 64 one and its working.

i used the minecraft patcher to use additional memory (2048mb) but in game it says it only has 989 available, and that it has only allocated 50% for use. weird shit is going on.

Ranger X

Marco1 said:
I have an annoying stutter when playing minecraft.
Is there anyway to cure it?
Thanks.

PC or MAC?

If PC under windows, don't extend the window of the game with the usual window command on top right. Press F11 to play fullscreen. With this already you have a incredibly huge performance gain.

LordAlu

Marco1 said:
Already watched it, didn't think much of the film.
Ever wish you should have read the question before you posted it?
Yeah, you probably should have there! :p

In all seriousness, has the game always stuttered whilst playing or has it only started recently? Have you set the rendering distance to Normal to see if that helps?

Ranger X said:
PC or MAC?

If PC under windows, don't extend the window of the game with the usual window command on top right. Press F11 to play fullscreen. With this already you have a incredibly huge performance gain.
If you're on a Mac, you can do the same by pressing Fn+F11 (since F11 on it's own will just increase the volume). That might help too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
That would take a LONG time lol. So thats:

1) Modern City
2) Arab style city
3) Dwarven City

We could always create new projects for BootyBay itself, there's loads of awesome land behind it. I certainly plan to build a temple there for sure.

I love the idea of an underground city. It's my preferred style of building bases, into mountain sides and deep beneath the ground. I am a dwarf at heart...

One idea I had was a city of tall towers and platforms out in the middle of the ocean. Think Dubai. We could build like a central park and bring grass out onto it, maybe even build a second underwater park. Link all of the towers with bridges and walkways. Make a nice boat dock area. Possibly even give it an arab theme, making the majority of the towers building material be sandstone but allow other materials for accents and detailing.

bengraven

IrishNinja said:
but all the old stuff we built in GAFland 1.0 is gone, right? just wanted to be clear on that, i cant recall what exano's name is here on GAF, unless its the same handle.

I have the save file if you want it. I actually use it as a my single player game now, so that Rome never dies.

Ranger X

So, what do we have now?
We should transform this into a real vote and compile. Each one is having their advantages and inconveniences really. They are all cool though.

1- Modern City
2- Arab City
3- Dwarven City
4- Underwater City
5- Sky City

6- Cliffs City

1- Modern look, lots of glass, smooth stone, wool, modern shapes, clean streets that mostly form squares. No wierd stuff, can haz skyscrapers, underground malls, etc. I think this theme could be achieve with a mild effort.

2- Arabian Nights / Prince of Persia style. Lots of sand stone, no huge and tall buildings outside palace-types buildings. Mostly square-ish buildings. Streets can go haywire. Would need a vast desert biome. I think this theme could be achieved with minimal effort.

3- Undergrounds, probably no tall or crazy buildings. Sorta medieval look. Streets can go haywire. Buildings could also be carved into the grotto walls. We would need to TNT a freaking huge cave, losing a bit of the natural look. I think this could be done with mild effort.

4- Underwater, would probably look modern. I feel the looks would be pretty open here and this is basically a sci-fi setting. Crazy stuff could happen. Downside is that building underwater is long and hard. We would also need some huge sea or dig a hole and fill it with water (wich is almost harder than just building underwater). I think this could be done with a good effort from everybody.

5- City on floating islands, multiple islands linked by bridges. This is another fictive theme so the creativity and buildings could go crazy. Could be ala Bioshock too, where every building / island is an airship. Buildings wouldn't be much tall though, probably something like 2-3 floors. Could look epic, downside is having to create the islands. I think this could be done with an average effort.

6- A city carved in cliffs/mountains. Roads would also be carved or bridges would link the houses. The look could be pretty open, we would mostly design the facade of our building and carve the rest. Could look "Ewok-ish" or sorta Cappadoccia. Would need a nice cliff set (there's one behind Booty Bay mind you). I think this could be done with minimal effort.

Ark

For me, it's gotta either be Arab or Sky. I don't mind which, but when it comes to Sky, I'd like to build it all like the new Bioshock game. Everything is an airship/has a balloon.

Coverly

I just want to say that a duck stole my minecart

Spent all day yesterday making a track from our house to a really far off mine, and right when i got off to destroy my cart a duck jumped on and activated the gold rails. I guess the game can't tell the difference between a player and an animal when putting weight on a cart and it kept going.

I chased it for one minute but the cart was too fast and it disappeared. God dammit, that was 6 iron! later in the day i went back to the original station and the cart was there, with the duck still stuck inside.

Ranger X

lol, I didn't even know I could use it.

But for Dwarven City we totally would need to "cheat" and make a cave first.
I edited your suggestion for Sky City, Ark.

Ark

Ranger X said:
lol, I didn't even know I could use it.

I edited your suggestion for Sky City, Ark.

Sure, I could create a giant cave with world edit, but for a community project, I think it's a bit too far imo.

Mengy

Ranger X said:

I disagree. Instead of cheating, lets just make it a group project to mine out a huge ass cave. We can make a large underground base camp with a huge vault to put all of the cobblestone into, and maybe an underground tree farm to supply us with new wood to make new picks with to continue the excavation. I mean, part of the fun in building (for me) is the actual act of preparing to build. Digging, mining, finding ores, removing lava, exploring. If we are going to build an underground city like a Dwarven Fortress, then lets do it like Dwarfs do and mine it out ourselves. It's a multiplayer server, and a group project, lets get our picks working! Besides, a naturally mined cavern will be much more appealing and atmospheric than some squared off MCedit job.

That's all IMHO of course.

Oh, and I guess no one liked my idea of a city of towers on the ocean, lol.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
I disagree. Instead of cheating, lets just make it a group project to mine out a huge ass cave. We can make a large underground base camp with a huge vault to put all of the cobblestone into, and maybe an underground tree farm to supply us with new wood to make new picks with to continue the excavation. I mean, part of the fun in building (for me) is the actual act of preparing to build. Digging, mining, finding ores, removing lava, exploring. If we are going to build an underground city like a Dwarven Fortress, then lets do it like Dwarfs do and mine it out ourselves. It's a multiplayer server, and a group project, lets get our picks working! Besides, a naturally mined cavern will be much more appealing and atmospheric than some squared off MCedit job.

That's all IMHO of course.

Oh, and I guess no one liked my idea of a city of towers on the ocean, lol.

Well, I thought maybe people wouldn't like to carve one huge ass cave but if it's the case I sure don't mind. I would even welcome that.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
I love the idea of an underground city, something I was thinking about too. And I think we definitely should mine it out ourselves. The question is, do we go super far away from spawn like with booty bay, or do we do it directly underneath the spawn area? I vote for that one :D Closer to my place.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
Well, I thought maybe people wouldn't like to carve one huge ass cave but if it's the case I sure don't mind. I would even welcome that.

I don't know about everyone else, but for me personally, I'm all about building things into and using the environment. That's one of the most appealing aspects of Minecraft for me, the randomly generated "infinite" world full of new and different possibilities. I think it's fun to design and architect things that use or mesh into it's surroundings in some way. Like how I built my sandtower on a patch of desert in mid town. Or how we built a seaside harbour town along a coast facing the ocean. The town may have sprang up almost overnight, but it's the natural coastline and hillside that was the foundation for how the town turned out. If Ark had just leveled a section of land and plopped water along side it for us to build on, it wouldn't be near as beautiful or impressive as it now is.

Plus, just think of all the caves and underground lavafalls and waterfalls we would uncover as we hollowed more and more stone out. I guess for me, most of the fun of building in Minecraft is the journey and exploration of actually building.

Top Bottom