• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Rather than TNT a huge cavern, we can carve it as we go along - make a circular/domed cavern big enough for 3 houses or so, then carve it out further as people place more buildings, expanding the circumference as we go.

I made a big tunnel (2 height 1 width, around 2000 long) that goes from the main city to bootybay (not intended, was completly random) and continue going on like a thousand blocks after bootybay. It's in X = -751, and the Y is between 12 and 8 (when I find a player cave, i dig down to pass below).

If you want to do some big dwarf city, it can be done in a way that get communicated underground (so around Z < -2200 and X = -750).

Grinchy

Banned
Ark said:
For me, it's gotta either be Arab or Sky. I don't mind which, but when it comes to Sky, I'd like to build it all like the new Bioshock game. Everything is an airship/has a balloon.
LOL Bioshock Infinite was the first damn thing I thought of when people started talking about a sky city. I'm not even really that big of a Bioshock fan, but I thought that the sunny, colorful direction would be perfect for a sky city in MC.

Also, that's awesome that donators can use TNT. I never even tried. I knew saving it up would pay off haha. I can finally make my hollowed out mountain base.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Grinchy said:
Also, that's awesome that donators can use TNT. I never even tried. I knew saving it up would pay off haha. I can finally make my hollowed out mountain base.

I would just say that when it comes to TNT, be mindful of the server and don't detonate more than a couple at a time. Lots of TNT going off at once really brings my single player worlds to a laggy mess for some time, I can only imagine what it does to a multiplayer server.

stabi

Neo Member
Arab, Sky or Cliff city sound nice to me.

...So I guess I have to finish my first house in BootyBay quickly before the new project starts =)

Ranger X

animlboogy said:
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know what has been going on with the Asscraft server.

It was having a lot of downtime and problems, so I canceled the subscription with the intention of rehosting elsewhere, or at least getting it fixed somehow. Anyway, I was so busy with work, I just yanked it after it was down for an entire week, and figured I'd get back to it.

Anyway, in the time since then, there's obviously another, more popular SMP server up.

So, is anybody interested in this server coming back possibly, or at least in getting a copy of the map before I use the hosting for something else? Just trying to gauge interest.

Offering the map would be great. I am curious to visit that!

Forkball

So I haven't played this game in a while, but want to get back into it. I stopped playing right around the time they put wolves into the game. Have I missed any major updates? Which GAF servers are the most popular now?

Ok, all you know that I love Minecraft, but after playing on hour of Terraria, all I can say is that Notch should feel ashamed and should use his money to hire ten programmers and convert Minecraft in a full game.

I don't want to dig more in this, because it could be considered trolling (this is Minecraft OP), but, for me, getting a new recipe each month is not enought for me, anymore.

Kyaw

Mengy said:
I disagree. Instead of cheating, lets just make it a group project to mine out a huge ass cave. We can make a large underground base camp with a huge vault to put all of the cobblestone into, and maybe an underground tree farm to supply us with new wood to make new picks with to continue the excavation. I mean, part of the fun in building (for me) is the actual act of preparing to build. Digging, mining, finding ores, removing lava, exploring. If we are going to build an underground city like a Dwarven Fortress, then lets do it like Dwarfs do and mine it out ourselves. It's a multiplayer server, and a group project, lets get our picks working! Besides, a naturally mined cavern will be much more appealing and atmospheric than some squared off MCedit job.

That's all IMHO of course.

Oh, and I guess no one liked my idea of a city of towers on the ocean, lol.

I'm cool with this. I can play this game more during the weekend probably.

guest1321

I really like the idea of a huge communal mine. It would be really interesting to see how much gets done with 15 players going at it for several hours on 1 mine

Really annoys me when people don't replant trees, especially in an area like bootybay. I've planted hundreds there, and people cut them down and don't replace any of them in areas well within "city limits". If you need wood that bad, cut down trees a bit further out, or replant where you cut down please.

cbox

I'm setting up a little woodshop in the bay to avoid that, but I haven't been able to play for a little while. Soon though! I created a tree farm near my "?" cube around the spawn for that reason.

Branduil

animlboogy said:
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know what has been going on with the Asscraft server.

It was having a lot of downtime and problems, so I canceled the subscription with the intention of rehosting elsewhere, or at least getting it fixed somehow. Anyway, I was so busy with work, I just yanked it after it was down for an entire week, and figured I'd get back to it.

Anyway, in the time since then, there's obviously another, more popular SMP server up.

So, is anybody interested in this server coming back possibly, or at least in getting a copy of the map before I use the hosting for something else? Just trying to gauge interest.
I would be interested in playing it again, I don't know about anybody else. I haven't played much minecraft since it went down.

For anyone interested in using bricks (clay is such a bitch to find) in bootybay, I have 4 stacks I'm not using. Feel free to take them and anything else you want or need from my chests in my bootybay house. (it's between bootay and mengy).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Voting for Sky. What's the tally at anyway?

What IS the PonyCraft server, if that's where Booty Bay is...? I just checked the OPs- sorry but I can't figure it out.

Grinchy

Banned
animlboogy said:
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know what has been going on with the Asscraft server. *snip*
I would love to download the map. There is a lot of cool stuff there.

DangerousDave said:
Ok, all you know that I love Minecraft, but after playing on hour of Terraria, all I can say is that Notch should feel ashamed and should use his money to hire ten programmers and convert Minecraft in a full game.

I don't want to dig more in this, because it could be considered trolling (this is Minecraft OP), but, for me, getting a new recipe each month is not enought for me, anymore.
I haven't tired terraria yet but I know just what you mean. I'm happy with Minecraft, but it does seem like he's very hesitant about adding any new content to his cash cow.

I'm wondering if he wants to keep the interest level alive for a longer period of time by staggering content and keeping people talking about it and playing it (which will lead to continued sales). Or he's just afraid that anything he "officially" adds to the game could potentially diminish its value in some weird way...

I can't speak for the guy, but the slow development of the game is quite noticeable even to a guy like me who knows nothing about development.

Grinchy said:
I can't speak for the guy, but the slow development of the game is quite noticeable even to a guy like me who knows nothing about development.

I think people just want some indication of what they're working on - for months it was "oh, Notch is setting up a business, hiring people, moving into offices - that takes time", but now they're set up, they're working on other projects and the Minecraft blog still reads like it's Notch developing the whole thing on his own, and not in his full time.

There was talk of paid updates in the future that would be free to those who jumped in at beta - the idea of an update that users have to pay for suggests that he has some big, game changing ideas out there, but at this point there's no sign of them, just minor updates, bug fixes and SMP improvements. Give us something substantial, or hell, just an indication that something substantial is on the way sometime in the future and I'd be happy.

well i'm getting there with the temple. haven't been able to do that much lately with schoolwork and getting distracted by booty bay but i've nearly finished the inside walls, four more large columns to go then the roof can go on.

temple_viewvn6g.png

once the roof is on i think i'll start replacing the columns with smooth stone and see how that looks. i'd like a bit of variety going on rather than a single texture.

What is that cell shaded looking mod, if the game looked like that all the time it would more make me consider playing this.

At the moment I'm turned off by the graphics and the amount of time I'm afraid I'd burn in this, but if it looked like that... wow...

How'd he do that?

onken

Height limit rules out sky city really. It's annoying how they set the world size so ridiculously huge and then have a comparitive stingy height limit.

Ranger X

onken said:
Height limit rules out sky city really. It's annoying how they set the world size so ridiculously huge and then have a comparitive stingy height limit.

Because it's MINEcraft. More ground than air.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ColonialRaptor said:
What is that cell shaded looking mod, if the game looked like that all the time it would more make me consider playing this.

At the moment I'm turned off by the graphics and the amount of time I'm afraid I'd burn in this, but if it looked like that... wow...

Good timing. I just spent awhile on Firehead's server, he and Nintendo*Rev and co have made some pretty amazing stuff. Lookin' pretty darn good with Minecraft4kids pack.

KHSbyl.jpg

SfYHBl.jpg

41pZNl.jpg

Jetr3l.jpg

Mik2121

AtlusAram said:
I love the idea of an underground city, something I was thinking about too. And I think we definitely should mine it out ourselves. The question is, do we go super far away from spawn like with booty bay, or do we do it directly underneath the spawn area? I vote for that one :D Closer to my place.
Dude, change your icon. That's not cool... :p

guest1321

I think that closer to the spawn we are liklier to run into some of the caverns that already have been explored and carved out. But if we traveled to a relatively close but unpopulated area we might have better luck with remaining in fresh caverns and not interfering with other players stuff.

Also I really wanted to make an underwater house or something and ultimately came up with this. I swam like a brick quite a few times to produce this.
Jelly%20Fish.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I've started eking out a home and shallow mine in Booty Bay- it's northeast of the warp spot, quite close to the main mine, across the street from someone else's house. I didn't think anything was wrong with the placement but somebody put down a sign that said "we wanted to keep the beach clean..."

I feel bad, I really don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I am unclear on what I did wrong. As far as I know I didn't actually touch the nearby beach at all yet, although I was thinking of making a small canal and pier up to the side of my place to have access to the bay. Is it just the side of the street that I chose to make my house that's wrong? Just wanted to understand better, sorry!

Mik2121

Hawkian said:
So I've started eking out a home and shallow mine in Booty Bay- it's northeast of the warp spot, quite close to the main mine, across the street from someone else's house. I didn't think anything was wrong with the placement but somebody put down a sign that said "we wanted to keep the beach clean..."

I feel bad, I really don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I am unclear on what I did wrong. As far as I know I didn't actually touch the nearby beach at all yet, although I was thinking of making a small canal and pier up to the side of my place to have access to the bay. Is it just the side of the street that I chose to make my house that's wrong? Just wanted to understand better, sorry!
I don't know who placed the sign but you shouldn't worry at all.

We can always put extra sand blocks and expand the beach in case we want some free area.

But really, don't worry. Just build trying to adopt the style of where you are so everything feels a bit more homogeneous, and that's it.

are there any places left going on the server? Would love to join in. I've been playing a bit too much single player after not being able to find a server that isn't full of dickheads!

Hawkian said:

I just went and had a look and I don't see any problem with where your building is placed - I mean, maybe someone was planning on building in that direction, but they should have marked out an area if that's the case. The only place where we've restricted building so far is at the front side of the bay, where we need space for bigger buildings like a town hall, library, church and lighthouse.

Barnaby_Jones said:
are there any places left going on the server? Would love to join in. I've been playing a bit too much single player after not being able to find a server that isn't full of dickheads!

Yep, there's still space, it only really fills up during peak hour in the US, but I believe Ark is planning on upgrading to 17 or 20 players this week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mik2121 said:
But really, don't worry. Just build trying to adopt the style of where you are so everything feels a bit more homogeneous, and that's it.

Great! Thanks so much. And thanks Bootaaay for checking it out, and for discovering the bay in the first place!

I got a feel for the style, it looks like wooden planks and wood based buildings which suits me juuust fine since the trees are so abundant near the spot I chose. Don't worry about the sandstone, that was just my "holyshitIloggedonforthefirsttimeandit'sabouttogetdark" makeshift shelter, and the entrance to my mine. That'll be gone soon as I start building the actual frame.

I made a border of wooden planks of the actual area I'd like my house to occupy when it's finished (plus a small pier on the side facing the water- I'll keep it as clean as possible). I hope it's kosher!

EDIT: So I should send Ark a PM here to become a citizen?

Unicorn

I had a dream the other night of Minecraft mixed with DnD where spells and skills let you "edit" the land or use it to your advantage. There were bogs and volcanic dungeons and I was in a group delving deeper, platforming over lava lakes to find new loot and weapons.

After that, I have very little motivation to play Minecraft as it is. Are there total conversion mods in the works? Or is Notch going to flesh this out into some serious robes and wizard hats shit?

Bootaaay said:
Yep, there's still space, it only really fills up during peak hour in the US, but I believe Ark is planning on upgrading to 17 or 20 players this week.

That's great, I'm UK based so that shouldn't be much a problem for me. Take it I PM Ark for the details?

mcrae said:
quote this post to see it

Much obliged good sir! I shall begin work on something right away.

EDIT: Setting up shop in Booty Bay, just at the end of an inlet on the edge of town, need to farm more wood before i can build my actual house so it's just a shelter for the moment.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I have to say that Booty Bay turned out really awesome. The town is quite a sight from a distance, and it's still growing. And the mine has turned out much better than I expected. I've seen many different people down there mining and spelunking, digging and dying, it's been a lot of fun. I'm especially surprised (shocked even) that not only does the mine run all the way to the spawn point already, but there is a powered minecart rail that you can ride the entire way. That happened much faster than I expected. And it's a beautiful ride, with glass windows along the way over caves and lava pits and waterfalls. Whoever finished the tunnel and rail (Andy, Mik, and Toki I think), excellent job good sirs. Very well done.

Seems hard to believe that I only posted my dream about a minecraft mining town one week ago, and how fast it's become a reality. Kind of makes me long to see what else we can build as a group project...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That minecart journey is incredibly impressive, I recommend everyone take it at least once even despite the warp points.

Ranger X

Hawkian said:

I think I know what happened (althought its not me that left a sign mind you).
Ark, Toki, etc. We asked people to go get sand in the desert a little further away from Booty Bay, at the other side of the cliffs. This so the beaches adjacent to Booty Bay don't have holes or aren't flattened. It really don't mean the person was telling you that you can't build there. You are free to build along any Booty Bay streets (unless it's evident its someone else terrain of course :p)

EDIT: just logged in and you're my neighbour! welcome :)

Made a gif of nightfall over Booty Bay;

bb-nightfall.gif

It's really turning into an impressive little town, and it's crazy that it's all sprung up in less than a week. Fantastic work all around.

I'm in the process of extending the small harbour around the back of the island, eventually it could link up to the front of the bay - what do you guys think?

Also, if anyone else is looking for plots to build their houses on, there are still a few good locations available;

. Almost directly behind the BB warp point is some nice space for 2-3 houses next to Jakker's (sp?) house - this is the direction in which I'm extending the harbour.

. Further along the coast from there is space for a few houses carved into the cliff side - for reference this is almost directly under Doogie and someone else's houses, so nothing too tall.

. Directly in front of the Welcome Centre is space for a number of houses, and although not directly on the waterfront it is right in the middle of town and close to the spawn.

. With some creative use of space there could be enough for 2-3 houses round the back of the bay between mine & Elcherazo's houses and the community smelter & mine.

But remember, the space beyond the pub (The Fisherman's Rest) is reserved for larger community buildings - so far we've got plans for a cathedral, a town centre and a lighthouse - any other ideas?

Top Bottom