• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Toki1776

Bootaaay said:
With some creative use of space there could be enough for 2-3 houses round the back of the bay between mine & Elcherazo's houses and the community smelter & mine.

Out of curiosity, anyone know who built this? I was thinking of expanding it a little bit, adding a couple more furnaces, and a workbench or two.

Toki1776 said:
Out of curiosity, anyone know who built this? I was thinking of expanding it a little bit, adding a couple more furnaces, and a workbench or two.

That was me, and if you've got the brick to extend it, feel free - I only built it because I didn't have enough brick to build anything substantial.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bootaaay said:
But remember, the space beyond the pub (The Fisherman's Rest) is reserved for larger community buildings - so far we've got plans for a cathedral, a town centre and a lighthouse - any other ideas?

That GIF is awesome, nice job.

As for other ideas for the end of town, maybe a central park type of place, with flower gardens and trees lining walking paths and a fountain or two? Maybe the park could even be central to the cathedral and lighthouse and town center, make the park like the center of town administration sort of?

bengraven

Such an awwwwwesome gif of BB!

Also, I'm building the brothel in the back, there's some temporary heart-shaped sandstone to show it's mine back there. Sorry, havne't been able to log in yet today, with having to take care of my kid (andwitcher2) but I'll jump on in a few hours to finish the first story at least.

Ark

Ranger X said:
I'd be down for building the lighthouse. I've been spelunking lately just for fun, waiting for something to inspire me.

I did have dibs on it before, but I'm tied up with something else at the moment.

guest1321

Would it be possible to get a cave map update at some point? I find it really interesting to have an aerial view of my mining extravaganzas

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ranger X said:
My minecraft name is Wyzdom, my house is on top of the hill near your house. ;)

Your house is the one that inspired me to build here! I hid from zombies in there on the first time I logged in. Thanks!

strata8

A bit late on my part, but what about a city in the middle of a basin in the ocean? With huge waterfalls cascading into it, etc.

Ranger X

Hawkian said:
Your house is the one that inspired me to build here! I hid from zombies in there on the first time I logged in. Thanks!

cool :)

So here's the type of lighthouse I am starting to build. Huge, white or sand stone, cylinder shaped and with a viewpoint on top.

x01_0004_0782_PigeonPointLighthouse_proof20030331rel.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
georgc said:
When in this coming to iOS? I need this on my iPad!
It can be sluggish with a quad core and 8GB of ram, so I'm wondering if that's why we haven't seen it ported anywhere else yet.

iamcenok

Bootaaay said:
Made a gif of nightfall over Booty Bay;

gif

It's really turning into an impressive little town, and it's crazy that it's all sprung up in less than a week. Fantastic work all around.

I'm in the process of extending the small harbour around the back of the island, eventually it could link up to the front of the bay - what do you guys think?

Also, if anyone else is looking for plots to build their houses on, there are still a few good locations available;

. Almost directly behind the BB warp point is some nice space for 2-3 houses next to Jakker's (sp?) house - this is the direction in which I'm extending the harbour.

. Further along the coast from there is space for a few houses carved into the cliff side - for reference this is almost directly under Doogie and someone else's houses, so nothing too tall.

. Directly in front of the Welcome Centre is space for a number of houses, and although not directly on the waterfront it is right in the middle of town and close to the spawn.

. With some creative use of space there could be enough for 2-3 houses round the back of the bay between mine & Elcherazo's houses and the community smelter & mine.

But remember, the space beyond the pub (The Fisherman's Rest) is reserved for larger community buildings - so far we've got plans for a cathedral, a town centre and a lighthouse - any other ideas?

That is an awesome gif! Sad thing is i've still yet to visit the bay. I must do that next time I log on

guest1321

Toki1776 said:
This should be updated within the hour.

Wow, you are on it man. It seems like you have updated the actual map twice today. I was expecting maybe once or twice a week, but it has been fantastic having almost daily updates. +1 to you Toki sir

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not only that, I saw him turn on the sun and it made like 4 zombies and 2 skeletons spontaneously combust in front of my eyes.

Toki1776

guest1321 said:
Wow, you are on it man. It seems like you have updated the actual map twice today. I was expecting maybe once or twice a week, but it has been fantastic having almost daily updates. +1 to you Toki sir

It's actually easier for me to update the map daily, at least. If I wait too long, the map takes forever to re-render.

Oh, and just to let you guys know... The server will be down for about an hour tomorrow morning, starting around 9:00 am MST, so I can crop the map. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but it shouldn't take too long.

Mengy

Toki1776 said:
It's actually easier for me to update the map daily, at least. If I wait too long, the map takes forever to re-render.

Oh, and just to let you guys know... The server will be down for about an hour tomorrow morning, starting around 9:00 am MST, so I can crop the map. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but it shouldn't take too long.

It's a shame we have to crop the map at all. For me, one of my favorite things to do in Minecraft is explore the overland to see new scenic vistas created by the random world generator. But, I understand that with a multiplayer server we have limitations to consider like the memory footprint of the map, CPU usage, etc. However, in an ideal world, I'd prefer we simply explore the rest of the map to fill it in so we can look for new areas to build in and such.

I find that my single player main world has sort of become just that. Instead of building anything new in my main world anymore I've taken to only packing the bare essentials and wandering the map, enjoying the scenery by day and sleeping by night. I haven't built anything in single player since I started playing on Neocraft, heh.

So, this raises a question for me: what is the policy on "exploring" on Neocraft? Do we want to keep the map size down to a minimum and ask people to minimize wandering out of the current explored areas, or is the issue simply that we don't want any long single trails far off into the great beyond? I'd like to build a large mountain base with a new mine somewhere on Neocraft, should I look for a candidate mountain that is already generated or am I allowed to hunt for a new location off of the current map? Just curious...

Ark

Mengy said:
So, this raises a question for me: what is the policy on "exploring" on Neocraft? Do we want to keep the map size down to a minimum and ask people to minimize wandering out of the current explored areas, or is the issue simply that we don't want any long single trails far off into the great beyond? I'd like to build a large mountain base with a new mine somewhere on Neocraft, should I look for a candidate mountain that is already generated or am I allowed to hunt for a new location off of the current map? Just curious...

There are no rules on exploring, and there wont be. It's pointless having three huge 40k block trails on the map that no one has ever visited since they were generated because they're taking up a good 10mb+ of file size on their own.

Ranger X said:
So here's the type of lighthouse I am starting to build. Huge, white or sand stone, cylinder shaped and with a viewpoint on top.

Huge? BootyBay is about being small and pleasing..

EDIT: I'm sorry but imo, the lighthouse is way too big for BootyBay...It ruins the nice atmosphere it had imo :( Don't know what everyone else thinks though.

Vinci

Danish
Must say, I'm impressed by what you folks have thrown together. That gif really gives the place a nice atmosphere. Good work to all of you!

Ranger X

Ark said:
There are no rules on exploring, and there wont be. It's pointless having three huge 40k block trails on the map that no one has ever visited since they were generated because they're taking up a good 10mb+ of file size on their own.

Huge? BootyBay is about being small and pleasing..

EDIT: I'm sorry but imo, the lighthouse is way too big for BootyBay...It ruins the nice atmosphere it had imo :( Don't know what everyone else thinks though.

I say huge but I try to keep realistic proportions. I can still make it somewhat smaller but a lighthouse is a lighthouse...
Do I continue or we want a lighthouse that's smaller, maybe less realistic?

This is the kind of proportions I am looking for, at least for height or maybe a bit smaller:

037180px-Ras_Tourgueness_lighthouse.jpg

Ark

Ranger X said:
I say huge but I try to keep realistic proportions. I can still make it somewhat smaller but a lighthouse is a lighthouse...
Do I continue or we want a lighthouse that's unrealistic?

Unrealistic? In a game where only sand & gravel are affected by gravity? Hehe.

I'm just voicing my opinion. BootyBay is full of reasonably sized houses, that are no higher than two storeys. A giant lighthouse will look right out of place imo, it needs to be in proportion to BootyBay. If it was me I'd have built it 25-30 high maximum, and even that's a push.

Vinci

Danish
Ranger X said:
I say huge but I try to keep realistic proportions. A lighthouse is a lighthouse...
Do I continue or we want a lighthouse that's unrealistic?

Put a ladder on it instead of stairs to keep it narrow. Make it, at max, twice the height of the tallest building.

Based on that gif, I'd say that would be fine, but then I'm not involved so my opinion means less than others'.

EDIT: How might I get onto Ark's server anyway? At the very least, I'd love to tour the place.

Ranger X

Ark said:
Unrealistic? In a game where only sand & gravel are affected by gravity? Hehe.

I'm just voicing my opinion. BootyBay is full of reasonably sized houses, that are no higher than two storeys. A giant lighthouse will look right out of place imo, it needs to be in proportion to BootyBay. If it was me I'd have built it 25-30 high maximum, and even that's a push.

Normally, if a lighthouse is on ground, it's pretty tall. (like on my picture up there). Something like 8 stories maybe. If it's on a cliff it can be smaller, it's always relative because it needs to be over everything so boat can actually see it from far far away. If you don't want it to look "out of place", it must be the tallest thing in Booty Bay really.

I will try some middle ground anyways, I will make it smaller that in it right now but it still will be tall, I'd like it to be realistic like Booty Bay is.

Vinci

Danish
Ark said:
Address:

Quote to view. When you get into the game, type /warp bootybay to be taken there.

Thank you, sir.

EDIT: Kyaw's house allowed a skeleton to get inside. I killed it, but it was a bit odd to be attacked inside of a house. haha.

EDIT #2: I like this place though. Nice communal feeling to it. Well laid out, friends.

Ark

Ranger X said:
Normally, if a lighthouse is on ground, it's pretty tall. (like on my picture up there). Something like 8 stories maybe. If it's on a cliff it can be smaller, it's always relative because it needs to be over everything so boat can actually see it from far far away. If you don't want it to look "out of place", it must be the tallest thing in Booty Bay really.

I will try some middle ground anyways, I will make it smaller that in it right now but it still will be tall, I'd like it to be realistic like Booty Bay is.

Tbh you should half the width. Make it 7 wide instead of 15 (for reference, the lighthouse in my castle is 5 wide).

@Hawkian: I hope you don't plan on making your house two storeys, because that'll be too big since you've put your house on stilts.

Ranger X

Ark said:
Tbh you should half the width. Make it 7 wide instead of 15 (for reference, the lighthouse in my castle is 5 wide).

Never saw yours. Is it straight of it's getting smaller vertically?
I'm building one that is wider at it's base but is gradually shrinking.

Ark

Ranger X said:
Never saw yours. Is it straight of it's getting smaller vertically?
I'm building one that is wider at it's base but is gradually shrinking.

It's straight. I contemplated making it wider at the bottom, but I didn't have space since it was on a small rocky outcrop.

Imo the best lighthouses I've seen on all sorts of servers have all been straight. A straight lighthouse looks great when it's in proportion to its environment.

Ranger X

Vinci said:
Lighthouse at the harbour is quite nice.

I think that's Ark's one.
Personally I want to try and shape mine differently, giving it some conic aspect. Making it straight later if ever I don't like it won't be really hard.

Vinci

Danish
Ranger X said:
I think that's Ark's one.
Personally I want to try and shape mine differently, giving it some conic aspect. Making it straight later if ever I don't like it won't be really hard.

Never designed a lighthouse myself, but I have an idea for one: Four long curved leaves that rise up from different directions till they touch near the top, then drape back and away from each other - with glowstones or whatever hanging from the tip of each draping length.

Not sure if I got that across through words well, but I think it would be quite pretty if done in sandstone or something... but it would probably need to be very large to facilitate a smooth curve near the base and head.

EDIT: I'm pondering whether I want to bother designing a place on this server or not. With permission, of course. Unclear what I would do though - I tend to like having space to myself to work with.

Mengy

I made a lighthouse once (in minecraft). It was a short one, only a little over three stories tall. To give it a kind of tapered look, I started with making the first story a squared off clean stone foundation. Then I made the rest of the tower a round cylinder out of dark wood, and topped it off with a fenced platform and a glowstone beacon at the very top. It was only like halfway to the clouds, but it looked stylish. I liked it anyway.

What's the story with adding to the roads in booty bay? I've just built my first house on the outskirts of town and was wondering if I could bring the road a little further down past hawkians place?

Mengy

Ranger X said:
Damn man, I really am not convinced by conic shape... I think I will put it down again. lol

I don't know, I kind of like that lighthouse. I'll know more when I see it in person tonight.

Barnaby_Jones said:
What's the story with adding to the roads in booty bay? I've just built my first house on the outskirts of town and was wondering if I could bring the road a little further down past hawkians place?

Go for it - there's no rule to the roads other than to keep them to the same style (3 cobble blocks or stairs bordered by smooth stone half-blocks).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ark said:
@Hawkian: I hope you don't plan on making your house two storeys, because that'll be too big since you've put your house on stilts.

No problem, I'll scrap the attic/second floor. I was basing it off of the height of Wyzdom's house across the street but it may just look taller since it's up on a hill. I'll clean up the entrance to the mine to not use sandstone, too. Otherwise it looks ok?

Now to make it through this 12-hour work shift...

EDIT: Psyched to see Barnaby's place. Howdy neighbor!

EDIT 4 ALL: Not that anybody on this server will be hurting for wood, but if you want a whole bunch at once, I planted a minor forest/treefarm right behind my place. Feel free to harvest everything if you'd like, just leave saplings anywhere you take out a tree.

My palace of the Lovebone is complete for now. Got a quaint 2 storey house out east of booty bay with an entrance to a mine that I believe runs into Hawkian's about half way down, feel free to explore. Other than that I'm just looking to put bits of furniture in there and expand underground a little, adding a proper storeroom and the like before going off else where to build a second house. If anyone needs anything, feel free to PM me, I've got loads of non essential stuff here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awesome! Let's make the landing where our mines meet a little communal area. I 'll put a crafting table and some furnaces and chests down there if I can find it.

Jasoco

Banned
Hey, does anyone else have the bug where if you go into Fullscreen mode, you can no longer use any onscreen buttons or controls when you return to windowed mode. But can use them when you go back to fullscreen?

Hit F11 to go fullscreen.
Hit it again to return.
Try to press a button.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Hey, does anyone else have the bug where if you go into Fullscreen mode, you can no longer use any onscreen buttons or controls when you return to windowed mode. But can use them when you go back to fullscreen?

Hit F11 to go fullscreen.
Hit it again to return.
Try to press a button.

Yes I get it. But it's not a problem because I never ever play in windowed mode.

Top Bottom