• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mik2121

Hey Ranger that lighthouse looks cool but I thought you were going for something more like the white/red lighthouse you posted.
I know it's too late now, but I think it would have looked better with the stairs on the inside (maybe some ladders?) and a few strips of red wool every few sandstone blocks.

mcrae

Mik2121 said:
Hey Ranger that lighthouse looks cool but I thought you were going for something more like the white/red lighthouse you posted.
I know it's too late now, but I think it would have looked better with the stairs on the inside (maybe some ladders?) and a few strips of red wool every few sandstone blocks.

yeah a lighthouse with stairs on the outside is mad weird
i think a ladder is basically required by international lighthouse laws. they're so the seals cant storm the tower and take over the light beacon, historically.

guest1321

mcrae said:
yeah a lighthouse with stairs on the outside is mad weird
i think a ladder is basically required by international lighthouse laws. they're so the seals cant storm the tower and take over the light beacon, historically.
Is that so?

Forkball

Played around on Ark's server tonight. Haven't played Minecraft in months (rain, wtf). I found a pretty big natural cave, but it is infested with mobs. Not quite sure how I'm going to get rid of them, I had four creepers, six zombies, and three skeletons staring up at me. Plus I could hear a few spiders as well. It's funny to hit bedrock and find nothing but coal, but then find a massive cave system a few blocks away.

Grinchy

Banned
Man I really need to get back on here soon. Been kinda busy and my gaming time has gone to terraria. Can't wait to see how much stuff has been built since I last logged in. I still need to finish my bootybay house.

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Yes I get it. But it's not a problem because I never ever play in windowed mode.
Yeah, it's no problem. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I'm on OS X. I have noticed though that I run slightly slower when fullscreen. :-/

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Yeah, it's no problem. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I'm on OS X. I have noticed though that I run slightly slower when fullscreen. :-/

Personally on Windows my fps get completely killed if I expand the window instead of pressing F11. I drop from 160fps to 30fps!

Mik2121 said:

Yeah it's not stairs, just the blocks I did use while building it. It's pretty finished now. There's a viewpoint inside the Lighthouse and a small cantina outside. I didn't make make red stripes. Could possibly done later but I didn't really want stripes.

Forkball said:
Played around on Ark's server tonight. Haven't played Minecraft in months (rain, wtf). I found a pretty big natural cave, but it is infested with mobs. Not quite sure how I'm going to get rid of them, I had four creepers, six zombies, and three skeletons staring up at me. Plus I could hear a few spiders as well. It's funny to hit bedrock and find nothing but coal, but then find a massive cave system a few blocks away.

You can't go down there without torches and arrows. It's the best way to get rid of all mobs. (arrows).

:)

Grinchy

Banned
Hmmm..that's pretty sweet in the sense that lots of land can be generated above the clouds, but I think he's right about it being a little ugly. At first it just looks like missing chunks moreso than a floating body of land.

Twig

Banned
xelios said:
Just looks like a glitch, not really digging it. Maybe he can clean it up.
I feel the same way. It looks kind of boring and not right. I think giving the sky a different texture, or finding some way to render your main world far below the islands would go far. I kind of doubt that's possible with his engine, but I can dream.

Another thing that might help is if the islands all had sort of winding pathways connecting them.

EDIT: Just read the "did not go well" tweet. I'm glad he agrees. I am now more optimistic. :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
NotTarts said:
Anyway, if it were to exist, I wouldn't really want it as a 'dimension'.

Oh I don't know, it would be a cool opposite to the nether. Build an obsidian portal to take you to the nether, build a sandstone portal to take you to the Aerial, or whatever you would want to call it. And with no bottom or bedrock, if you fall you die. Mining would take a whole new twist, be careful of what is beneath you because you could fall to your doom. I kind of like it actually.

strata8

Mengy said:
Oh I don't know, it would be a cool opposite to the nether. Build an obsidian portal to take you to the nether, build a sandstone portal to take you to the Aerial, or whatever you would want to call it. And with no bottom or bedrock, if you fall you die. Mining would take a whole new twist, be careful of what is beneath you because you could fall to your doom. I kind of like it actually.
Yeah, but it would still be nicer if you were walking along in the normal world and came across a giant chasm with uprooted continents floating above it. I could see how that would also be annoying, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I certainly haven't "migrated" to Terraria, but you'd better believe I'm playing the hell out of it. :D

I finished my house more or less. I'm sorry if it's too high! I was unwisely using Wyzdom's as a reference point, but its height is illusory due to a big hill. I could make an artificial hill under mine to raise the ground up if it's too extreme. Ran into my first invisible mob, too... freaky stuff.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Can anyone help me figure out why my house/bed is not "sealed"? I've tried 9 times and I keep getting hit by a mob when I try to sleep. What's wrong with my place? :(

Ranger X

Hawkian said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Can anyone help me figure out why my house/bed is not "sealed"? I've tried 9 times and I keep getting hit by a mob when I try to sleep. What's wrong with my place? :(

Is it placed on a corner or on an exterior wall? Is your place shut/closed? Enough light?

Facism

just popping in to say that i read this thread daily, despite only playing minecraft at my bro's. Love the work you guys do and it acts as a good advertisement for your community and the game itself.

Toki1776

The server maintenance is almost complete, another 10 minutes or so. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Edit: The server is back online. I will be rendering new maps shortly.

bengraven said:
So I was looking at the map:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/neocraft/map.html

And to the right of Boooootay Bay there's a little cove with a high cliff. If we put a waterfall up on the top of that cliff that would make a really great little place for us to extend the building instead of behind the town.

That's actually a great idea - I'll start building a harbour heading in that direction when the server goes back. Also, we could build a community fort (a wood & stone keep with a wooden palisade fence) on top of the cliff.

I would like to see the gaps between built upon though, it makes it feel more like a town with the buildings next to each other rather than spread out.

Glasswork

I'd love an Arabic themed city, Arabic architecture is my favorite style.
I'd instantly tear down my sandstone castle and rebuild a house in there.

Ark

Calm Killer said:
A roman City is something we could consider?

I'd love to make a Roman/Greek style city. Certainly makes for more interesting designs thank a dwarven city.

I'll make a Google docs survey on Saturday/Sunday with all the ideas so far and tally the results.

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
That's actually a great idea - I'll start building a harbour heading in that direction when the server goes back. Also, we could build a community fort (a wood & stone keep with a wooden palisade fence) on top of the cliff.

I would like to see the gaps between built upon though, it makes it feel more like a town with the buildings next to each other rather than spread out.

It would be also cool to expand on the opposite side where the beaches continue and goes behind. The part of the beach that is in front will a couple of community buildings (like the bar/café and the Lighthouse) but beyond the light house, when the beach starts to turn and get "behind" booty bay, this could get develloped. Also, there's already a couple of people there that we would link with the town too.

Ranger X

Ark said:
I'd love to make a Roman/Greek style city. Certainly makes for more interesting designs thank a dwarven city.

I'll make a Google docs survey on Saturday/Sunday with all the ideas so far and tally the results.

I personally think we should go for "Underground City" instead of Darven. It's much more open and interesting and it's still straight to the point --- digging a city underground.

Ark

Ranger X said:
I personally think we should go for "Underground City" instead of Darven. It's much more open and interesting and it's still straight to the point --- digging a city underground.

It's the same outcome either way :p

Mengy

webrunner said:
Not that I play SMP, but ever thought about D'ni?

Or an underground city hanging from the roof of a cavern with lava underneath?

WOAH, like Gamilon in Star Blazers!

Okay, I probably just dated myself there, lol. I love the idea of an underground city, but I don't really like the idea of a "dwarven architecture" city per se. I think our next community project should allow a whole hell of a lot of free creativity in its execution. When I said underground city before, I pretty much meant a creatively freestyle city at bedrock level in a huge ass cave.

But the idea of an underground city in a huge cave SUSPENDED ON THE ROOF, over a lake of LAVA, nether style, now THAT sounds like a project I could get into. In fact, even if we don't do that for our next project, I might do something like that on my own. Freakin cool idea.

Grinchy

Banned
OH shit!! 1.6 next week!

I can see people are really liking the Dwarven city idea, but I do believe I'm going to start a Nether colony. Bring sunscreen, and follow me into hell!

Ark

Well if 1.6 is coming out next week, what does everyone say to a community Nether Castle Town?

I had this planned as a community project before, but I guess Notch just decided to bring that one forward.

Just so everyone knows; Multiplay wont have their servers updated instantly. It'll be around 1-2, possibly even 3 weeks at most until the server is running 1.6 (because they update all the mods too IIRC). So if you upgrade your client you'll have to download the 1.5 client (Multiplay will post a download link for it) to play on the server.

Mengy

Grinchy said:
OH shit!! 1.6 next week!

I can see people are really liking the Dwarven city idea, but I do believe I'm going to start a Nether colony. Bring sunscreen, and follow me into hell!

Hmm, the nether colony could be suspended on the roof over a lava lake...

Now that 1.6 will be here next week, that raises a question: you know how creepers can't destroy blocks on our server, will ghasts get the same treatment in the nether? I mean, will we only be using cobble safely in SMP in the nether or will ghasts be prevented from destroying our nether village built of sandstone and glass and wood?

bengraven

I think if we do the Roman style town, it would only be cool if we did it on the "sky nether". A floating Roman city? Like something out of Kid Icarus, Zelda, or Castlevania? I'm up for that!

Otherwise, the idea isn't as exciting to me, since we had just finished a huge Roman city on GAFland before it went down.

Bootaaay said:

We could make Booty Bay huge. In fact, I was thinking we could add channels to get from one bay to the other, so even the landlocked areas of BB would have water. Like Venice.

Ark

Ghasts are actually turned off by auto in the server console. I've no idea why but I can turn them on if people want.

bengraven said:
We could make Booty Bay huge. In fact, I was thinking we could add channels to get from one bay to the other, so even the landlocked areas of BB would have water. Like Venice.

I do hope BootyBay becomes huge. I'd like to build the town hall for sure.

Ranger X

So, Nether and sky land? anything else?

(this is huge to me already).
I hope our current worlds will be compatible and that the chunk will generate some skyland...

Ark said:
Ghasts are actually turned off by auto in the server console. I've no idea why but I can turn them on if people want.

I don't mind normal mobs but Ghasts are even more dangerous than Creepers. I think they should be taken out of the equation. Or maybe they could still stay in if they don't do envirronnement damage or catching stuff in fire.

webrunner

Ranger X said:
So, Nether and sky land? anything else?

(this is huge to me already).
I hope our current worlds will be compatible and that the chunk will generate some skyland...

He called it a' dimension' so i assume it's basically heaven to nether's hell.

(maybe you have to make a gold brick door for it or something)

Ranger X

webrunner said:
He called it a' dimension' so i assume it's basically heaven to nether's hell.

(maybe you have to make a gold brick door for it or something)

I dunno but I would personally prefer it to be connected. This would fulfill 2 dreams: having floating islands + building fucking high.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm hoping he does some serious work on that sky land because the pictures he posted showed that he had a looong way to go to make it look natural. They looked like shit, to put it as nicely as a grinch can put it.

And I am totally fine with waiting for 1.6 on the server. I won't touch single player as long as I can help it, so I would have no need to hastily update.

bengraven

Am I weird for being excited for the sky nether only because we'll get new blocks?

Ark said:
I do hope BootyBay becomes huge. I'd like to build the town hall for sure.

That's what I was thinking. We're gonna make it awesome until we get bored then do something else awesome.

Top Bottom