• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

I've turned off NeoCraft for the moment, so please don't try to access it.

We started to get incredible amounts of lag, then the server crapped out and gave us a bunch of chunk errors, so I figured closing it off would be the safest option for now.

Multiplay support is about to get an angry ticket sent to them.

Ark

For some reason the server lost 5mb of filesize from 6am this morning (BST) to 11:30pm this evening. I'm hoping that any chunk errors that exist, are a long way away from anywhere important.

Otherwise we may end up having to use the 6am backup, meaning we'll have lost 16 hours of Minecrafting..

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:

We started to get incredible amounts of lag, then the server crapped out and gave us a bunch of chunk errors, so I figured closing it off would be the safest option for now.

Yeah, I was trying to tell you in game but the server kept crashing. I encountered this nice little chunk error at -12, -1612 (I think, it was east of spawn and south of Booty Bay):

2011-05-20_182641.png

I have to wonder if me being near it is what was causing the lag and crashes. Sorry guys, but I couldnt' even get away from it at that point. Too much lag and crashing.

Ranger X

Ark said:

You should back up the world file for yourself from time to time ( I don't know if it's those backup you're talking about). This way, if ever something major happens, we still have the world or you can make it available for download for people who wants to visit again someday.
Anyhow, it might be too late now but I hope our world isn't permanently damaged :((

Toki1776

Ranger X said:
You should back up the world file for yourself from time to time ( I don't know if it's those backup you're talking about). This way, if ever something major happens, we still have the world or you can make it available for download for people who wants to visit again someday.
Anyhow, it might be too late now but I hope our world isn't permanently damaged :((

Every time I update map, I have to download a backup. Not only that, but the server does an autobackup daily, and we do other manual backups periodically. We certainly have backups that are not corrupted; at worst, it would be set back to yesterday.
Still sucks, and I'm really wondering what caused it, as it happened quite suddenly, with no changes to the server on our end.

Ranger X

Toki1776 said:
Every time I update map, I have to download a backup. Not only that, but the server does an autobackup daily, and we do other manual backups periodically. We certainly have backups that are not corrupted; at worst, it would be set back to yesterday.
Still sucks, and I'm really wondering what caused it, as it happened quite suddenly, with no changes to the server on our end.

Might be related to the changes about the server. (17 players + more ram)
Those chunk errors are probably memory related somehow.

Ark

Ranger X said:

Both myself & Toki back-up the server quite frequently. There will always be a back-up world save, don't worry.

---------------

screenshot2011-05-20atqqx2.png

This is a map of the world seconds before I turned off the server. We shouldn't need to load up an older save, this *should* be fine. Hopefully.

Mengy

Ark said:
Both myself & Toki back-up the server quite frequently. There will always be a back-up world save, don't worry.

---------------

This is a map of the world seconds before I turned off the server. We shouldn't need to load up an older save, this *should* be fine. Hopefully.

Yep, I was standing right at the base of that pillar the arrow is pointing at when it crashed. From looking at the dropbox map, no one has built anything out that way. The closest thing is a house by Calmkiller. So in my explorations, I uncovered a chunk error. Not exactly what I was looking for...LOL.

Grinchy

Banned
Well at least you guys are so on top of things all the time. I'm sure everyone on the server appreciates it. I guess this was a good time for me to get a little too into terraria :p

Qwomo

Mengy said:
Yeah, I was trying to tell you in game but the server kept crashing. I encountered this nice little chunk error at -12, -1612 (I think, it was east of spawn and south of Booty Bay):

2011-05-20_182641.png

I have to wonder if me being near it is what was causing the lag and crashes. Sorry guys, but I couldnt' even get away from it at that point. Too much lag and crashing.
That's the coolest chunk error I've ever seen.

It's a monolith from the gods.

Mengy

Qwomo said:
That's the coolest chunk error I've ever seen.

It's a monolith from the gods.

When I saw it from a distance I thought someone had made it, so I went to take a look. It wasn't until I got close enough to see the bedrock segments all throughout it that I put two and two together (the lag got worse the closer I got to it).

(queue 2001 anthem music......)

Ark

I think I'll head off to bed now and hope it's all fixed in the morning.

Failing that, I'll wake up to see the rapture tear everything apart anyway. LOL.

Toki1776

Just did a render of that most recent backup... When compared with the night map I made just after putting the map back up, there is another large chunk error/chunks missing from the west side of the map. In fact, I got several errors from the rendering program as it was unable to load chunks.
Any chunk errors that are in the map need to be removed, or we need to load an older backup, I think. Otherwise, we will have giant holes in the map that will lag out the server if anyone goe near them.

I really, really hope this isn't due to me cropping the map. The areas I removed weren't really near the chunk errors, and the server was fine for 15 hours after I put the world back up, so I don't think that was the cause. If it was, I apologize to everyone for your lost work. Actually, regardless of the cause, sorry about this, guys...

strata8

TheBez said:
I'm sure it's not intentional, but that looks like a swastika.
The swastika is an important symbol in many ancient religions. I know where the bad ideas come fron, but as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with it unless it resembles a Nazi flag.

Also, somehow I have Bootaaay's skin.

Ark

Toki1776 said:
Yes. yes it would. Would you like me to try that now? Or do you want to wait to hear from support?

Support wont get back to me for another 6-7 hours now. It's worth a try at least, I've got a copy of the most recent back-ups just incase.

Toki1776

Alright, working on it. Will edit this post with the status.

Edit 1: Chunk errors removed, now testing in SP, and uploading back to the server. Should take around half an hour to upload.

ZZMitch

Grinchy said:
I guess I misunderstood the sky section before. I thought it was just going to randomly generate land masses above the clouds. That would have been ugly as hell. Having to teleport there is awesome. I'm quite excited for that now.

The islands just being above the clouds also wouldn't work great with the current lighting system.

BooJoh

I hope Notch's tall grass isn't as resource-intensive as WildGrass. I tried that once and the game slowed to a crawl on my system.

Grinchy

Banned
Toki1776 said:
Alright, Neocraft is back up. I need to run out for a bit, but I will check back in soon, to see how things are running.
Sweet!

Once I get some more studying out of the way it's time for some minecraft again.

edit: LOL

vkHxk.png

I kept meaning to extend the stairs, but now I guess I'm forced to. I can't afford a court case right now so I'm going to settle.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
That huge chunk error is right where my house used to be. It seems when the crash happened this morning it completely reloaded that whole chunk. That's why my house and mine are now gone. I would be fine with returning to the 6am backup. But since I'm the only one that really seems to have lost anything, I understand if I have to rebuild everything.

bengraven

Grinchy said:
Sweet!

Once I get some more studying out of the way it's time for some minecraft again.

edit: LOL

vkHxk.png

I kept meaning to extend the stairs, but now I guess I'm forced to. I can't afford a court case right now so I'm going to settle.

Ha, I saw that sign last week and it made me lol. So I went up them to see what the issue was and nothing happened. On my way down...fell. So this is now a class-action suit...

No one has commented on the many signs going up from spawn yet. I have to take credit for the "Chance" sign on the other side of "Community Chests" also...

Toki1776

Calm Killer said:
That huge chunk error is right where my house used to be. It seems when the crash happened this morning it completely reloaded that whole chunk. That's why my house and mine are now gone. I would be fine with returning to the 6am backup. But since I'm the only one that really seems to have lost anything, I understand if I have to rebuild everything.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Your place was south of Booty Bay, I assume? I ended up having to remove the areas near the chunk errors with MCEdit. If your house was in one of the bad chunks, there was nothing that could be done. If it was just outside of the area, then it's probably partially my fault for not being careful enough. If you would like, I'm sure we could provide materials, and I would be willing to provide labor to help rebuild.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
bengraven said:
Ha, I saw that sign last week and it made me lol. So I went up them to see what the issue was and nothing happened. On my way down...fell. So this is now a class-action suit...

No one has commented on the many signs going up from spawn yet. I have to take credit for the "Chance" sign on the other side of "Community Chests" also...
Hehe, the sign was my handywork. I meant to put it on the next house with the "watch yo step" sign on it, but I couldnt find any space on those stairs.

I've also left some signs in ranger's house to convince him that it's haunted. I don't think it's working though.

Ranger X

Pankaks said:
Hehe, the sign was my handywork. I meant to put it on the next house with the "watch yo step" sign on it, but I couldnt find any space on those stairs.

I've also left some signs in ranger's house to convince him that it's haunted. I don't think it's working though.

lol, so you're the secret sign writter of Booty Bay? lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ranger X said:
lol, so you're the secret sign writter or Booty Bay? lol
Gotta do something while I switch ISPs lol.

I'm not responsible for all of the funny signs aroun BB, just the ones I mentioned.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Toki1776 said:
I'm really sorry to hear that. Your place was south of Booty Bay, I assume? I ended up having to remove the areas near the chunk errors with MCEdit. If your house was in one of the bad chunks, there was nothing that could be done. If it was just outside of the area, then it's probably partially my fault for not being careful enough. If you would like, I'm sure we could provide materials, and I would be willing to provide labor to help rebuild.

Ark gave me some of the harder to get things i had lost earlier. Diamond and dyed cloth and other things. I lost my whole house, so i haven't even began to think of what i used to build it. and my mine is gone to, i went down the stairs and there is just a well there now.

Calm Killer

I just logged on and now everything I had is gone. Yesterday it was just the house, mine and farm. The road was still there. Now the road and entrance to the mine is gone too which sucks because all the stuff that Ark gave me yesterday was in two Chest I put at the mine entrance, which is now gone too. So the only stuff I have is what is in my inventory. Guess I should move everything to bootybay.

EDIT: Upon further investiagtion, Even my Mario Pipe that I was building in the water was cut in half. Only half of the hole is there and almost all of the Green cloth I had placed is gone.

Ark

I'm really sorry about that :( I truly have absolutely no idea what happened to the map :L

Maybe you could make a new house somewhere else? I'll gladly spawn you the items back when I'm next online.

bengraven

I had a bizarre concept for another town that might turn people off, but I just wanted to say it.

How about a suburb?

Not full of tiny boxes on a hillside, but everyone makes little family homes with "picket" fences, a 7/11 on the corner, etc. Maybe a strip mall.

I don't know, I think it would be cool.

Pancakes

bengraven said:
I had a bizarre concept for another town that might turn people off, but I just wanted to say it.

How about a suburb?

Not full of tiny boxes on a hillside, but everyone makes little family homes with "picket" fences, a 7/11 on the corner, etc. Maybe a strip mall.

Eh, hits a little too close to home for me.

I prefer a fantasy setting as opposed to modern buildings in Minecraft.

Calm Killer

Ark said:
I'm really sorry about that :( I truly have absolutely no idea what happened to the map :L

Maybe you could make a new house somewhere else? I'll gladly spawn you the items back when I'm next online.

I appreciate it. I will have to sit down a figure up just what all I did actually lose. I am going on a cruise next week so I won't be around much so if its a week or so i hope that is okay?

Ark

Calm Killer said:
I appreciate it. I will have to sit down a figure up just what all I did actually lose. I am going on a cruise next week so I won't be around much so if its a week or so i hope that is okay?

That's absolutely fine, whenever you're ready.

Enjoy your cruise though!

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:

How about a suburb?

This is another thing I have kind of wanted to do before but wasn't sure. I'd love to be involved in making a giant walmart or something. Have aisles, cashier stations, maybe even a back room with shelves and possibly a break room for employees, ect...

Calm Killer said:
Ark gave me some of the harder to get things i had lost earlier. Diamond and dyed cloth and other things. I lost my whole house, so i haven't even began to think of what i used to build it. and my mine is gone to, i went down the stairs and there is just a well there now.
In my house in booty bay I have tons of brick, and probably a bunch of other materials that you can take if you'd like. Really not using any of the stuff atm.

bengraven

Grinchy said:
This is another thing I have kind of wanted to do before but wasn't sure. I'd love to be involved in making a giant walmart or something. Have aisles, cashier stations, maybe even a back room with shelves and possibly a break room for employees, ect...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think it would be incredibly cool to explore a neighborhood at least. Maybe a few of us can make one down the road.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn Ranger, I finally got around to checking out the finishing touches on your house at the spawn. You and Ark are really good at decorating interiors. That's always the hardest part for me.

*edit: and i finally got to check out the stone maze in person. That shit is crazy.

I need about 20 stacks of wool for my latest building, what is the best way to get this without cheating?

I'm playing single player, have avoided using any kind of edit program to gift me blocks/tools, I want to keep playing this way.

Is a friendly mob grinder my best option?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nismogrendel said:
I need about 20 stacks of wool for my latest building, what is the best way to get this without cheating?

I'm playing single player, have avoided using any kind of edit program to gift me blocks/tools, I want to keep playing this way.

Is a friendly mob grinder my best option?
spider grinder works too.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
I just started my latest project. But damn, I'm the only player on the server right now... :(

Yeah the server has been really quiet this week...I hope it doesn't stay this way :l

I've still got exams this week & a few other things I need to deal with so that's why I'm not online as much.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah same here. I've been kinda busy lately and my free time has gone to the 2D minecraft rip-off. Plus I need to come up with a new project. I have no idea what to build next.

Ah, goddamn. I haven't been playing much this week because I had a bunch of coursework, but last night my laptop screwed up proper bad and now won't start - so it looks like I'm out until I can fix it, as no other computer in my house is good enough to play Minecraft on :(

Top Bottom