• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

1.6 changelog

+ Added craftable maps
+ Added hatches
+ Added tall grass in some biomes
+ Mushrooms now spreads (very) slowly
+ Added server property view-distance. Sets the radius of terrain updates (in chunks) to send to the players. Range 3-15, default 10.
+ Added Nether support to multiplayer (not on list; info from Notch's twitter feed)

* It’s no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the maps (sorry!)
* Players stuck in walls will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one
* Made booster tracks speedier
* Severely nerfed fire so it spread slower, and doesn’t spread infinitely
* Seeds are now found in tall grass, using a hoe on the ground no longer works
* Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now shows the breaking block particle effect
* Activated dispensers make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer
* Doors make sound for other players in multiplayer
* The record player now supports more than 15 different songs

* Fixed running out of memory corrupting the current level
* Fixed the side textures of grass getting extra dark when mining them
* Fixed anaglyph 3d rendering mode having severe visual bugs
* Fixed the crash screen vanishing immediately
* Fixed not being able to target blocks when at x or z pos 1000
* Fixed the achievements screen messing up the sky color
* Fixed saving while sneaking dropping the player through the ground
* Fixed a system clock change messing up the game speed
* Fixed rain sounds not playing with fast graphics enabled
* Fixed hair and cloaks being rendered in the wrong locations on sneaking players
* Fixed the attack/swing animation not being applied to the armor layer
* Fixed player rotation not being loaded correctly when loading a saved game
* Fixed arrow physics, making them not get stuck midair when you open a door
* Fixed arrows hitting reeds, portals, and other non-solid blocks
* Fixed keybindings not getting saved properly under certain conditions
* Fixed the player not being able to sneak off lowered blocks like cacti
* Fixed a bug where the player could mine without swinging their arm
* Fixed boats placed on snow being placed too far up
* Fixed submerged boats rising very very fast
* Fixed sand dropping onto boats getting stuck in a falling animation
* Fixed a game crash when riding a vehicle or animal into the nether
* Fixed falling while riding not dealing damage to the rider
* Fixed buttons and levers too close to the player being impossible to use
* Fixed dispensers shooting through walls
* Fixed fire hurting through wall corners
* Fixed entities reaching water through wall corners
* Fixed placing doors next to cacti creating half-doors
* Fixed buttons and levers being placeable on leaves in “fast graphics” mode
* Fixed furnaces and dispensers not dropping their contents when destroyed
* Fixed dispensers biasing later slots
* Fixed farmland taking too long to dig
* Fixed tilling below some blocks being possible
* Fixed tilling the underside of blocks somehow working
* Fixed fences and stairs sometimes becoming invisible
* Fixed walking on top of fences not producing step sounds
* Fixed fire sometimes existing mid-air as an invisible block of pain
* Fixed fences and wooden stairs not being flammable
* Fixed fire effect on burning entities sometimes getting rendered in the wrong location
* Fixed fishing rod rendering being a bit lacking
* Fixed fishing rods being stackable
* Fixed mining glass hiding the clouds behind the glass
* Fixed rain falling through liquids
* Fixed items in glass blocks not getting ejected properly
* Fixed water interacting strangely with glass
* Fixed glass not blocking rain sound
* Fixed fences and signs preventing grass from growing
* Fixed rain and snow being incorrectly lit
* Fixed grass staying alive below stair blocks
* Fixed the achievement screen not pausing the game
* Fixed some screens breaking the sky tint color
* Fixed fullscreen mode switching causing mouse issues and screen closes
* Fixed chat messages surviving through game switches
* Fixed ice so it regenerates regardless of whether it’s snowing or not
* Fixed rain falling too slowly
* Fixed levers being placeable on weird locations
* Fixed floor levers sometimes not delivering a signal downwards
* Fixed floor levers sometimes not being removed when the floor is removed
* Fixed rail tiles sometimes not properly connecting to a new neighbor
* Fixed minecarts next to each other causing extreme velocities (sorry!)
* Fixed wolves not following their owner if the name has different caps
* Fixed creepers retaining charge level when they can’t see their target
* Fixed dying in the nether spawning new portals
* “Fixed” beds in the nether
* Fixed inventory acting weird when portaling by making the portal close all screens
* Fixed wooden pressure plates being mined with pickaxes
* Fixed redstone repeaters having the wrong particles
* Fixed saplings being plantable through snow onto non-grass blocks
* Fixed ore density varying per quadrant from the center of the world
* Fixed dispenser graphics being one pixel off. ONE PIXEL!!!
* Fixed mushrooms spawning everywhere during nights
* Fixed animals only spawning near light during the night
* Fixed the multiplayer join screen input field being too short
* Fixed IPv6 addresses being parsed wrongly. To connect to a specific port in IPv6, use the format [1234:567::1]:25565
* Fixed network packets being sent unbuffered, causing huge amounts of packets being sent
* Fixed entity positions going out of synch sometimes. They get re-synched every 20 seconds now.
* Fixed inventory icons not animating after being picked up in multiplayer
* Fixed mushroom soup not leaving a bowl in multiplayer
* Fixed entities above the map height limit becoming invisible
* Fixed healing not flashing the health bar in multiplayer
* Fixed arrows being animated really strangely in multiplayer
* Fixed arrows triggering too many entity move updates in multiplayer
* Fixed the compass not pointing at the spawn location in multiplayer
* Fixed fires being impossible to put out in multiplayer
* Fixed record players spawning client-side fake records in multiplayer
* Fixed records not playing for other players in multiplayer
* Fixed players spawning in the wrong location and quickly lerping to the correct location
* Fixed monsters not being visible for players with their difficulty set to peaceful
* Fixed pigs getting hit by lightning in multiplayer spawning client-side zombie pigmen
* Fixed loads of exploding tnt generating way too many particles, possibly crashing the client
* Fixed bonemeal use in multiplayer sometimes spawning fake client-side trees
* Fixed saplings sometimes spawning trees client-side in multiplayer
* Fixed weather sometimes changing client-side in multiplayer
* Fixed grasscolor.png and foliagecolor.png not being read from texture packs
* Fixed stats getting saved to different files in offline mode if the caps in the player name differ from the true spelling

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5775170768/the-changelist-for-1-6

Vlad

Notch just put out the "changelist so far" for 1.6. Lots of bug fixes and a few new additions. The stuff that stands out:

+ Added craftable maps
+ Added hatches

I'm liking both of these, but I'd much rather have seen pistons than hatches, unless he's changed it so that hatches can now let water through.

+ Added tall grass in some biomes
+ Mushrooms now spreads (very) slowly

He posted a picture of the "tall grass" recently on twitter. Looks VERY similar to the "wildgrass" mod. Anything that makes the terrain look more diverse is fine by me.

+ Added server property view-distance. Sets the radius of terrain updates (in chunks) to send to the players. Range 3-15, default 10.

This one has me interested. Anybody know what the current view distance is in chunks?

* Made booster tracks speedier

A necessary fix. Tried to make an uphill track using powered rails, and it turns out you essentially need a powered rail every other block for it to carry a cart uphill at the moment.

* Fixed creepers retaining charge level when they can’t see their target

Ah, so that wasn't intentional. That wasn't always like that, correct? I seemed to notice it only recently, and it's VERY annoying. Glad that one's dead.

ckohler

Vlad said:
A necessary fix. Tried to make an uphill track using powered rails, and it turns out you essentially need a powered rail every other block for it to carry a cart uphill at the moment.

Just to be certain "speedier" isn't just faster (and not stronger) I've tweeted Notch to find out. I'm pretty sure it's what you describe but how much would it suck if tracks were simply faster and not any stronger?

Articalys

If I'm reading that right it looks like they got rid of boat-vators? That's a shame. I wish there were more forms of rapid vertical transport that you didn't need a mod for.

Vlad

Articalys said:
If I'm reading that right it looks like they got rid of boat-vators? That's a shame. I wish there were more forms of rapid vertical transport that you didn't need a mod for.

Well, you could just make a minecart track that's a tight spiral and ride that up/down.

Also, sad to see no mention of the blackscreen crash when running in Far view distance.

Toki1776

Vlad said:
Well, you could just make a minecart track that's a tight spiral and ride that up/down.

Also, sad to see no mention of the blackscreen crash when running in Far view distance.
If you are using a 64-bit OS, do you have 64-bit java installed? That fixes this issue, at least for most people.

Edit: Just noticed this one:
* Fixed water interacting strangely with glass
Sadly, this will almost certainly break my mob grinder, as it is. I suppose that's what I get for exploiting that glitch. :p

FUCK. This is how i enter my main base, a cart chute that goes straight down. Uninstalled.

ckohler

out0v0rder said:

FUCK. This is how i enter my main base, a cart chute that goes straight down. Uninstalled.

Do carts pass through water brakes? If so, you could try putting a water brake at the bottom.

Ranger X

Oh boy, I gotta check if a drowning tube is still possible to make after this:

Fixed water interacting strangely with glass

:/

And so this was a bug? ....

Fixed animals only spawning near light during the night

??

Vlad

Toki1776 said:
If you are using a 64-bit OS, do you have 64-bit java installed? That fixes this issue, at least for most people.

Nope, 32-bit windows with 32-bit java. Someone suggested uninstalling and reinstalling java, so I'm trying it now.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
out0v0rder said:

Next time don't fuck with Swedish God.

Ranger X

So how do I proceed if I want to keep 2 clients? (one 1.5 and one 1.6) ?

I download another minecraft.exe and duplicate my old folder then call it a day?

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
So how do I proceed if I want to keep 2 clients? (one 1.5 and one 1.6) ?

I download another minecraft.exe and duplicate my old folder then call it a day?
Good question.

I'm just going to not update I think. I don't use single player anyway.

bengraven

Grinchy said:
Damn I didn't realize people would be so strongly against a little suburban town.

No shit. It was more of an art thing. Just wanted to make like a two street town, maybe a little downtown area with one stop light. Never mind if people are going to be hostile.

I'LL TAKE MY LEGOS AND GO HOME THEN. *raspberry*

Jasoco

Banned
LOL at getting mad at bugs being fixed.
KuGsj.gif

Qwomo

Jasoco said:
KuGsj.gif
The vehicular fall damage being implemented is strange. Also booster carts and water elevators being removed will ruin many a contraption.

Jasoco

Banned
Qwomo said:
The vehicular fall damage being implemented is strange. Also booster carts and water elevators being removed will ruin many a contraption.
I know, but they were still known bugs and exploits of said bugs. It was known that eventually they would be fixed and that you shouldn't get used to it. It is a shame they haven't implemented official alternatives though. I'd still love to see official elevators of some kind. And the falling damage from carts falling will make me have to change any 4 block falls at my stations to 3 or less. (As I assume it'll be the same fall height as a person. 4+ is damage. 3- is none.

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
KuGsj.gif
I want to agree with you, but you used that fucking shitty ass goddamn obnoxious piece of fuck smiley, and so I can only rage. Thanks a lot, you jerk. ):

Jasoco

Banned
Twig said:
I want to agree with you, but you used that fucking shitty ass goddamn obnoxious piece of fuck smiley, and so I can only rage. Thanks a lot, you jerk. ):
Hey, I'm just using an extension. It embeds a GIF. I should probably switch to the other way to see smileys, but I don't care enough to. Plus I rarely use it. Don't wanna end up banned or anything like the people who kept posting a hundred of them in one post.

If it were my choice, I wouldn't use that smiley. I hate the blue. I'd use this one...
lol.png
It's not animated but it gets the point across and looks better than just posting "LOL!"

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I like all of the patch features and bug fixes, except for the fire change. I kind of liked the threat of fire taking down an entire forest. But, that's really just a minor point.

So it sounds like we will be able to make mushroom farms in 1.6. So long wheat, it's nothing but bowls of soup for me from now on!

Vlad

Mengy said:
I like all of the patch features and bug fixes, except for the fire change. I kind of liked the threat of fire taking down an entire forest. But, that's really just a minor point.

So it sounds like we will be able to make mushroom farms in 1.6. So long wheat, it's nothing but bowls of soup for me from now on!

Forget that, I'd just like to see cocoa beans become a different farmable item, instead of being dungeon-only. Maybe make the farming a little more intricate.. have different types of crops only growable in different biomes, etc.

Twig

Banned
Jasoco said:
Hey, I'm just using an extension. It embeds a GIF. I should probably switch to the other way to see smileys, but I don't care enough to. Plus I rarely use it. Don't wanna end up banned or anything like the people who kept posting a hundred of them in one post.

If it were my choice, I wouldn't use that smiley. I hate the blue. I'd use this one...
lol.png
It's not animated but it gets the point across and looks better than just posting "LOL!"
Haha, I am just being a crazy mans.

(But you could type "Hah!" instead of "LOL!", and appear far more intelligent.)

Twig

Banned
redhot_ said:
Quick question, when the update hits will I have to redo all my texture packs, server ect...?
Yes.

Although texture packs should work, they just won't display any new items (i.e., maps, hatches, tall grass). Assuming he didn't change the images size, anyway.

If you have any mods on your server, you're fucked until they're updated, as far as I understand. Otherwise, you just need to download the new server, so you can get into the nether, etc.

ConvenientBox said:
hey ARk is it cool for a buddy of mine (not on gaf) to check out the server?
ArtistDude was on the various GAF servers for months before he finally got an account here, so probably! But maybe Ark is a crazy stickler mans. I don't know. U:

redhot_

Twig said:
Yes.

Although texture packs should work, they just won't display any new items (i.e., maps, hatches, tall grass). Assuming he didn't change the images size, anyway.

If you have any mods on your server, you're fucked until they're updated, as far as I understand. Otherwise, you just need to download the new server, so you can get into the nether, etc.

Oh alright, Thanks.

Jasoco

Banned
webrunner said:
Why not go all the way and type "My! That is quite humorous, indeed!"
Twig said:
Now you're just being a pretentious motherfucker. U;
That's it. From now on instead of LOL I'm posting "My! That is quite humorous, indeed!". Now to figure out how to make it a macro...

We'll see how fast it becomes tiresome and bannable.

gutabo

Greetings fellow gaffers,

I have joined you in this madness called minecraft, mostly because of this thread. I have brought some friends with me and I have installed a server I'm "running"(we're talking 7 fellas here at max). Since all my friends live in the same building(and many are roomates) or very close we have almost no lag issues. However I have no idea about how to run a server the way it should be. Any pointers? I keep hearing good stuff about bukkit and many other wonderful things that I have no idea about... like, how do I make myself server admin? I have only "installed" Cartograph G, but it's not that good for us(or we can't use it to its max potential). I can see people rave about textures, care to give me some pointers there too? Like, good texture packs?

Also I have a PC running XP and a newer laptop running 7(actually, it's my wife's laptop). I have no issues with my kinda old but good PC but the laptop has some issues running the game, I have to turn everything down and still it won't be as good as my PC... what gives? I read some stuff about using the "wrong" java version(32 vs 64) but does it improves performance that much or it's not worth the trouble?

Finally, I'll try to get a snapshot of some of the stuff we've built. We have a nice 24-block diameter glass sphere 80% underwater(which was a pain in the butt to make) with a nice man made lava pool under it(protected from the water with glass), it was another pain in the arse to get all the lava look like a pool(removing the "currents", we figured out many ways to remove them after a while), but in the end we're proud of it. Now we're making an underwater rail system to get in and out of it(with a station at the bottom of the sphere, right above the lava "pool"), and we just learned about doors making your life easier underwater so it'll be all easier this time, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Twig

Banned
gutabo said:
Also I have a PC running XP and a newer laptop running 7(actually, it's my wife's laptop). I have no issues with my kinda old but good PC but the laptop has some issues running the game, I have to turn everything down and still it won't be as good as my PC... what gives? I read some stuff about using the "wrong" java version(32 vs 64) but does it improves performance that much or it's not worth the trouble?
If you have a 64-bit processor, install 64-bit Java. It is absolutely superior for Minecraft.

Top Bottom