• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy said:
Yeah same here. I've been kinda busy lately and my free time has gone to the 2D minecraft rip-off. Plus I need to come up with a new project. I have no idea what to build next.

Which one? Wouldn't mind a game like Minecraft. I've been playing Terraria lately but getting kind of tired of that already. Doesn't help that I can't get a server up and running for my friends and I.

Ark

VGChampion said:
Which one? Wouldn't mind a game like Minecraft. I've been playing Terraria lately but getting kind of tired of that already. Doesn't help that I can't get a server up and running for my friends and I.

He's talking about Terraria.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ark said:
Yeah the server has been really quiet this week...I hope it doesn't stay this way :l

I've still got exams this week & a few other things I need to deal with so that's why I'm not online as much.

The Witcher 2 just came out, give it some time :p.

Was slowly tunnelling my way from Booty Bay to the spawn, though I haven't been on much lately. Ran into flizzzipper's mine, which I determined was close enough.

Unfortunately, looks like the start of the tunnel was eaten up by the minecart project (I was above it.)

Oh well. At least I can see the sun again, now.

Somax

Took a peek in the new server, died after getting lost in a mine in the starter town, then I reached Booty Bay by foot. Very nice things to see there!

Glasswork

randomwab said:
Booty Bay seems pretty complete right now. Anyone decided on a new project for the server?
Ark said he was going to put all the ideas suggested a few pages back in a google doc and have everyone vote for one.
Personally, I wanna work on a desert/arab style town.

MedIC86

Guys is Bootybay on the Neocraft server or somewhere else? i tried to connect to Neocraft but it did not work :(, im very curious to see what you guys made.

Ark

MedIC86 said:
Guys is Bootybay on the Neocraft server or somewhere else? i tried to connect to Neocraft but it did not work :(, im very curious to see what you guys made.

BootyBay is in NeoCraft.

bengraven

nismogrendel said:
I need about 20 stacks of wool for my latest building, what is the best way to get this without cheating?

I'm playing single player, have avoided using any kind of edit program to gift me blocks/tools, I want to keep playing this way.

Is a friendly mob grinder my best option?

FYI there's like 20 stacks of wood in the community chests.

Toki1776

MedIC86 said:
Okay, but is the server down or am i doing it wrong ? i took the data from the minecraft forum or is that out dated?

Umm... do you have a link to that? It shouldn't be obtainable except through quoting the post in the OP. Ponycraft is Neocraft.

Wool

Grinchy said:
This is another thing I have kind of wanted to do before but wasn't sure. I'd love to be involved in making a giant walmart or something. Have aisles, cashier stations, maybe even a back room with shelves and possibly a break room for employees, ect...

This guy built a K-Mart that sounds a lot like what you are talking about. He recreated a whole bunch of boring, mundane things from real life. There is a highway, a k-mart with a parking lot, and an industrial neighborhood from Northern England, among other things.

Grinchy

Banned
rdelaney said:
This guy built a K-Mart that sounds a lot like what you are talking about. He recreated a whole bunch of boring, mundane things from real life. There is a highway, a k-mart with a parking lot, and an industrial neighborhood from Northern England, among other things.
Wow awesome! Thanks for the link. That K-mart is exactly what I wanted to do, but now that someone has done it I don't want to lol

BTW the server must have known I needed to study and it went offline.
*edit: nvm its back up, maybe going back down, and it's been acting really weird

Grinchy

Banned
hmm i kinda liked that you could accidentally start a huge forest fire in single player. It made "playing with fire" a dangerous thing.

And wow I can't believe someone stole iron blocks...for shame!

strata8

Ark said:
NeoCraft Community Project #2 Voting!

Click here to be dazzled and amazed!

Ignore sample question two, that was me being too lazy to remove it.
Aw, no love for the basin city idea? :p

Something akin to this already-existing construction on the map, but situated entirely in the ocean, circular/more natural, down to bedrock, and with hills/trees at ground level.
BasinCityIdea.jpg

Ark

NotTarts said:
Aw, no love for the basin city idea? :p

Something akin to this already-existing construction on the map, but situated entirely in the ocean, circular/more natural, down to bedrock, and with hills/trees at ground level.

I'd rather not because I'd have to drain & worldedit the entire area. That picture you linked is my current project, but I still feel somewhat guilty for draining the sea there.

strata8

Ark said:
I'd rather not because I'd have to drain & worldedit the entire area. That picture you linked is my current project, but I still feel somewhat guilty for draining the sea there.
Yeah, that makes sense. Keeping the world legit is important.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I have a question. I like the idea of a floating sky town, where we make floating islands and built on them, I like this idea a lot. But I've never played Bioshock Infinite before, so i don't know what a floating sky town like Bioshock infinite is?

I was thinking more along the lines of a floating sky town, but one where anything goes more or less. Like a Skies of Arcadia town, but one where we don't really have any set building architecture or style to enforce, the only real rule is that we built on floating islands. And that the islands be connected by bridges. Heck the islands wouldn't even have to be all on the same altitude either. Something that would allow us all to get very creative and innovative.

Either that, or build one large floating city, something like Dalaran in WoW. Think a floating castle, with a huge open courtyard where we could build all of our houses, farms, and such, and one central castle keep. That would be cool.

Ranger X

I think it's going to be pretty open like Booty Bay was. We only need very small pointers like the look style. I think it's just an example he gave. (Bioshock)

Anyhow, I personally like themes that don't dictate too much what you're doing. It's like the "dwarven city" choice. It gives the impression we need to go all Medieval and stuff. I like the idea of an Underground City but there's hundreds of ways of doing that, it can be a modern style city, a city with houses carved in the walls, etc

bengraven

rdelaney said:

Okay, that made me really really want to do a suburb.

You don't have to make it "mundane". Build all the houses different (please). Hell, build your own fucking house. It would so awesome!

mcrae

bengraven said:
Okay, that made me really really want to do a suburb.

You don't have to make it "mundane". Build all the houses different (please). Hell, build your own fucking house. It would so awesome!

you just made me decide to do this. i think ill do one block=1 foot. want to do it with me? lets find a likely place on the map

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
I have a question. I like the idea of a floating sky town, where we make floating islands and built on them, I like this idea a lot. But I've never played Bioshock Infinite before, so i don't know what a floating sky town like Bioshock infinite is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Hb93a22Io

Here's a gameplay video. I'm not a huge Bioshock fan or anything, but I really love the sunny and colorful atmosphere they've pulled off. I can just imagine our floating city being something along those lines.

BTW, if we did a sky town, wouldn't we have to wait for the update with the sky realm? If so, I should have voted for Nether City in the Other category :p

Grinchy

Banned
mcrae said:
you just made me decide to do this. i think ill do one block=1 foot. want to do it with me? lets find a likely place on the map
I'm in as well. I would love to do a suburb with neighborhoods and some stores and stuff.

A school will be needed as well.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Hb93a22Io

Here's a gameplay video. I'm not a huge Bioshock fan or anything, but I really love the sunny and colorful atmosphere they've pulled off. I can just imagine our floating city being something along those lines.

BTW, if we did a sky town, wouldn't we have to wait for the update with the sky realm? If so, I should have voted for Nether City in the Other category :p

So that's the new Bioshock game to come? Now that's interesting. Looks great (style).

bengraven

mcrae said:

Grinchy said:
I'm in as well. I would love to do a suburb with neighborhoods and some stores and stuff.

Awesome! We'll have to figure out place on the map that's not TOO far away. Maybe we can even make a classic train depot for the minecarts.

2e2d4156-393b-47d5-a7f6-eedff42efd62.jpg

postcard_hattiesburg_train_depot_train_depot-p239534497500064593qibm_400.jpg

(I CANNOT find a decent pic of a train depot)

Sanic

Are all of the GAF servers in the OP pretty populated? I want to start playing Minecraft again and would prefer to play with others.

Mik2121

Grinchy said:

Jeez.. guys, stop that please :( That sounds like the most boring thing to do, ever. At least keep it hidden and far from spawn. I think we should rather stick to stuff that's plausible in a fantasy world. Not a goddamn supermarket.. :(

Ark

Mik2121 said:
Jeez.. guys, stop that please :( That sounds like the most boring thing to do, ever. At least keep it hidden and far from spawn. I think we should rather stick to stuff that's plausible in a fantasy world. Not a goddamn supermarket.. :(

Yeah, if a suburb is going to be built, make it very far from spawn lol :p

Pandoracell said:
I couldn't connect to the Vanilla server, but PonyCraft seems pretty nice. Does that server have monsters?

PonyCraft has monsters yes. It would be nice if the author of the OP read the thread every so often and actually changed the server name to NeoCraft.

Sanic

Ark said:
PonyCraft has monsters yes. It would be nice if the author of the OP read the thread every so often and actually changed the server name to NeoCraft.

Ah good, thanks. Looks like i'll be hanging out there.

I got a 16x16 five floor grinder built to gather my string. It works ok, I hear lots of loot burning up inside it.

This is the kill setup, I just added the dirt to see if it will keep spiders from jumping on top of the lava.
http://i.imgur.com/j9kiv.png

*edit* Dirt worked, way more output now. If I leave this on when I sleep, will the loot despawn?

Ranger X

nismogrendel said:
I got a 16x16 five floor grinder built to gather my string. It works ok, I hear lots of loot burning up inside it.

This is the kill setup, I just added the dirt to see if it will keep spiders from jumping on top of the lava.
http://i.imgur.com/j9kiv.png

*edit* Dirt worked, way more output now. If I leave this on when I sleep, will the loot despawn?

Yes. The loot stays there only 5 mins. Also, when monsters are dying by the lava, sometimes the loot will touch the lava and you will lose that loot.
I don't know if you're in Neocraft but it you do, go check my Mob Grinder near the spawn. It works by drowning and it's the most effective way you can build such devices.

Top Bottom