• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

People need to stop randomly exploring off into the wilderness please, we've shot up from 150mb to 170mb again.

Don't get me wrong, it's 100% perfectly fine to go exploring, but please don't go on for miles and miles in one direction.

-SD-

Banned
Ark said:
People need to stop randomly exploring off into the wilderness please, we've shot up from 150mb to 170mb again.
Put up a perimeter of checkerboard wall made of bedrock that reaches from top to bottom?

Ark

-SD- said:
Put up a perimeter of checkerboard wall made of bedrock that reaches from top to bottom?

I don't want to turn the map into a prison, it'll grow of it's own accord. But we don't need giant 20mb spikes :l

Chinner

Banned
see id love to buy an xperia play but im waiting for another version to come out with a better screen and tech....or iphone 5 i guess.

Kuran

Banned
That looks super awkward to play without dual analog sticks. I love how the Xperia has convenient holes where two analog sticks would fit perfectly.. just laughing at you for no good reason on an incredibly pricey device.

Did Ericsson ever explain the reason behind the phantom sticks? What a joke.

Looking forward to seeing it on iPad and NGP.

While waiting for the next project I thought it would be fun to build inside a mountain, way too much mining though...oh well, some pics(work in progress):

Main entrance by day

Iz2yG.jpg

And by night

a4aYy.jpg

Failed lake building (got to ask Ark to save me ^^)

13XMd.jpg

Inside, some of the floors got really big tbh, not sure what do do with them

VLjmo.jpg

And to top it off this mountain was a monsterinfested shithole. Way too much stuff dropping from holes I forgot to fix, had a spawner too. *sigh*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kuran said:
That looks super awkward to play without dual analog sticks. I love how the Xperia has convenient holes where two analog sticks would fit perfectly.. just laughing at you for no good reason on an incredibly pricey device.

Did Ericsson ever explain the reason behind the phantom sticks? What a joke.

Looking forward to seeing it on iPad and NGP.
Is... that a joke? They're touchpads that replicate the function of dual analog sticks without adding thickness/weight/moving parts.

Hanmik said:
Seriously man like 12 posts up.

bengraven

Hm, first time a patch was coming out and I'm not on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive.

Native support for wild grass is going to be great (never installed the mod before) and SMP Nether of course.

Salaadin

Portable minecraft is cool but Id probably never play it. I kinda feel like they should put all their efforts towards improving the PC version though I guess I cant complain too much since 1.6 is fixing A LOT of things.

bengraven

Salaadin said:
Portable minecraft is cool but Id probably never play it. I kinda feel like they should put all their efforts towards improving the PC version though I guess I cant complain too much since 1.6 is fixing A LOT of things.

I think Notch feels the game is almost done after 2-3 years of alpha/beta testing. He's just putting in a few extra things to complete it.

garath

I'm hoping for some sort of cloud support. Playable in a browser is pretty neat. I can play the game on my laptop and on my home PC. I find myself trying to shift the save back and forth though. It gets tiring.

Wichu

Argh, the Twitter comments on that post (Minecraft Portable) are almost as bad as YouTube comments. Unfortunately, I don't have any sort of smartphone, so no portable Minecraft fix for me yet...

Ranger X

bengraven said:
I think Notch feels the game is almost done after 2-3 years of alpha/beta testing. He's just putting in a few extra things to complete it.

Actually there could be alot of things added still. Notch said he planned the updates up until next November, wich is the month where the game will pass from "beta" to "final". He even said that there is more for the game and that it will continue to be updated after that. The date is just... to have a date. Also, they have to decide to quit the "beta" phase one day.

Vlad

Ranger X said:
Actually there could be alot of things added still. Notch said he planned the updates up until next November, wich is the month where the game will pass from "beta" to "final". He even said that there is more for the game and that it will continue to be updated after that. The date is just... to have a date. Also, they have to decide to quit the "beta" phase one day.

I made a post about it a few pages back, but just to say it again: the game could really use more "late game" content. Once you've got a couple dozen stacks of redstone, it'd be nice to have something really interesting to make with it. Right now there's a HUGE gap in complexity between a redstone-wired double-door and some insanely huge redstone computer. There just aren't enough things that use redstone at the moment that really let you get super-creative with your contraptions.

I've been messing around with some SP mods lately, and a lot of people there have some rather interesting ideas. Stuff like Buildcraft (pipes that can carry/sort items, automatic quarries, auto-crafting tables that can be used to make automated factories, etc) really allows for some useful, yet not instanely complicated, things to build.

There's also plenty of room for more variety in stuff to see. He's going the right direction with the upcoming tall grass that only grows in certain biomes, so hopefully there's more to come now that he's been on a bug-fixing spree.

bengraven

Ranger X said:

There's a lot of stuff he's mentioned wanting to put in that he still hasn't and I would LOVE to see. But I don't know if he'll do it by November. The NPC villages are #1 on my list.

ElRenoRaven

So you guys seem knowledgeable about his Minecraft doohicky gamerthingy mcbobber.

I've played the PC gamer demo. It was fun. However I don't care for buying it through the site. I hear rumors say it's going to be on Steam. Any truth to this?

bengraven

PsychoRaven said:
So you guys seem knowledgeable about his Minecraft doohicky gamerthingy mcbobber.

I've played the PC gamer demo. It was fun. However I don't care for buying it through the site. I hear rumors say it's going to be on Steam. Any truth to this?

If it is, it will be on November 11.

What's the issue with the site, just out of curiousity?

Ark

PsychoRaven said:

None.

Minecraft wont go onto Steam, if it does it wont be until it's 'officially' finished. This rumour has been around since Alpha now :l

bengraven

Steam won't let beta games be on the site. I believe Notch once said that other than trying to buy him out, Valve also tried to talk him into finishing it early to get it on Steam.

After 11-11-11 I could see MC on steam.

Salaadin

As simple as it sounds, adding recipes for all sorts of furniture would be HUGE for me...especially if it can be made with a variety of items. I also want other simple things like Sandstone stairs (slabs dont cut it).

ElRenoRaven

Ark said:
None.

Minecraft wont go onto Steam, if it does it wont be until it's 'officially' finished. This rumour has been around since Alpha now :l

Well yea. I couldn't see putting a game in beta on Steam either. I was talking about finished Minecraft. lol

bengraven

Salaadin said:
As simple as it sounds, adding recipes for all sorts of furniture would be HUGE for me...especially if it can be made with a variety of items. I also want other simple things like Sandstone stairs (slabs dont cut it).

This is another thing that NEEDS to get added.

But Notch says he doesn't really want to add furniture since it's not that kind of game.

Though he thinks it's okay to add beds and paintings, which are something you would find a mine, but not a chair.

Qwomo

bengraven said:
This is another thing that NEEDS to get added.

But Notch says he doesn't really want to add furniture since it's not that kind of game.

Though he thinks it's okay to add beds and paintings, which are something you would find a mine, but not a chair.
Stairs have always made excellent chairs, I think.

Ranger X

I too would want some receipes to be more universal.
Slabs receipe and stairs receipe? It should work with all materials. This logic should be kept from everything it can apply to. Also, besides everything Notch already want to add (wich is awesome stuff) I would like them to devellop fauna and flora a little more. I would like at least 10-15 animal kinds and way many more plants and flowers. They don't even need to all drop something or be used in receipes, it would be there mostly for immersion until they might be used in a receipe someday.

Kuran

Banned
Hawkian said:
Is... that a joke? They're touchpads that replicate the function of dual analog sticks without adding thickness/weight/moving parts.

Wha..? Really? First I heard about it.. how do those tiny touchpads work then?

Vlad

Kuran said:
Wha..? Really? First I heard about it.. how do those tiny touchpads work then?

From what I understand, they're basically round touch sensors. Further out you touch from the center dot is the equivalent to holding an analog stick further in that direction.

fresquito

Ranger X said:
I too would want some receipes to be more universal.
Slabs receipe and stairs receipe? It should work with all materials. This logic should be kept from everything it can apply to. Also, besides everything Notch already want to add (wich is awesome stuff) I would like them to devellop fauna and flora a little more. I would like at least 10-15 animal kinds and way many more plants and flowers. They don't even need to all drop something or be used in receipes, it would be there mostly for immersion until they might be used in a receipe someday.
Yeah, different animals for different biomes would be ace. I mean, pigs in the middle of the desert?

Jasoco

Banned
I want to be able to make stairs and slabs out of anything including wool if only for use on roofs so I'm not restricted to wood or stone. I'd even take Netherrack stairs.

And I want to be able to get anything back that I place down. Currently you can't reclaim pressure plates and I think wood half steps.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
And I want to be able to get anything back that I place down. Currently you can't reclaim pressure plates and I think wood half steps.

Use pickaxes on both to get them back.

The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that's completely unrecoverable are the stair blocks and boats. Still, you get some resources back from either, so it's not a total loss.

Twig

Banned
Ark said:
None.

Notch wants it on Steam.

bengraven said:
Oh, man, there is so much that could be added to make Minecraft a more exciting and complete game.

Fantastical underground mushroom forests! NPC towns (he already confirmed he wants this in the game)! Super-dense jungles that you have to hack your way through to explore, with all new rewards and dangers! Biome-specific creatures and monsters! Improved dungeons to make them fun to not only discover, but to explore!

I don't know how touchy people are in here on the subject - sometimes fanboys is cray-zay - but I think Minecraft could learn a lot from Terraria. While Terraria fails miserably in the creative aspect, it far surpasses Minecraft when it comes to exploring the world. I certainly don't want Minecraft to become combat-focused and action-oriented, but I was bored of exploring underground ages ago. It's always the same goddamn thing, no matter how deep you go. Even the lakes of lava are tiny, and enclosed by rock. I know there's the nether world, of course, but you have to specifically build the portal to get there, so it's not as if you're actually discovering something neat. You just know it's there and work toward it.

Ranger X

Twig said:
Oh, man, there is so much that could be added to make Minecraft a more exciting and complete game.

Fantastical underground mushroom forests! NPC towns (he already confirmed he wants this in the game)! Super-dense jungles that you have to hack your way through to explore, with all new rewards and dangers! Biome-specific creatures and monsters! Improved dungeons to make them fun to not only discover, but to explore!

I don't know how touchy people are in here on the subject - sometimes fanboys is cray-zay - but I think Minecraft could learn a lot from Terraria. While Terraria fails miserably in the creative aspect, it far surpasses Minecraft when it comes to exploring the world. I certainly don't want Minecraft to become combat-focused and action-oriented, but I was bored of exploring underground ages ago. It's always the same goddamn thing, no matter how deep you go. Even the lakes of lava are tiny, and enclosed by rock. I know there's the nether world, of course, but you have to specifically build the portal to get there, so it's not as if you're actually discovering something neat. You just know it's there and work toward it.

If one truly understand that Minecraft is a pure sandbox game (therefore quite unique and new as a game genre), pretty much ANYTHING can be added to it. Theorically, this game can improve infinetely until it is someday "real life 2". Because real life is in fact a huge sandbox.

So yeah, basically, any system and behaviors they want to add to the game, it's good. As long as it stays a sandbox game (aka you put systems and behaviors in place, not goals).

Twig

Banned
Ranger X said:
If one truly understand that Minecraft is a pure sandbox game (therefore quite unique and new as a game genre), pretty much ANYTHING can be added to it. Theorically, this game can improve infinetely until it is someday "real life 2". Because real life is in fact a huge sandbox.

So yeah, basically, any system and behaviors they want to add to the game, it's good. As long as it stays a sandbox game (aka you put systems and behaviors in place, not goals).
Completely agreed. :D

Vlad

Ranger X said:

That's why I like the idea of the piston mod so much. It's such a simple concept, but there's a LOT that can be done with it.

Even something like simple pulley and gears systems would be a very welcome addition, and a forge to melt down iron ingots to turn into mechanical parts. I just want more stuff to craft, because at the moment I end up building huge structures and then going "now what?" because there's just nothing to fill it with other than bookshelves, benches, beds, fountains, gardens and other forms of ornamentation that I've included in my structures dozens of times now. Give me new stuff to fire the imagination please.

Top Bottom