• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Vlad

Bootaaay said:
Even something like simple pulley and gears systems would be a very welcome addition, and a forge to melt down iron ingots to turn into mechanical parts. I just want more stuff to craft, because at the moment I end up building huge structures and then going "now what?" because there's just nothing to fill it with other than bookshelves, benches, beds, fountains, gardens and other forms of ornamentation that I've included in my structures dozens of times now. Give me new stuff to fire the imagination please.

Exactly.

I've had the same problem. I make a huge structure and find there's nothing I feel like putting IN it. On the map I've been messing with Buildcraft on I ended up making a factory of sorts for the stuff I find annoying to make, so I can stick some logs into a chest and convert them to ladders, combine mass sand into sandstone, etc.

Grinchy

Banned
Good point about decorative items. We really need some new stuff to craft. I've seen some creative uses of what's already here, but tables and things like that would go a long way.

PsychoRaven said:
However I don't care for buying it through the site. I hear rumors say it's going to be on Steam. Any truth to this?

It's a really painless process. I think I used paypal, so it's not even like you are giving anyone else your financial information. Over 2 million people have had smooth transactions.

Twig

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Even something like simple pulley and gears systems would be a very welcome addition, and a forge to melt down iron ingots to turn into mechanical parts. I just want more stuff to craft, because at the moment I end up building huge structures and then going "now what?" because there's just nothing to fill it with other than bookshelves, benches, beds, fountains, gardens and other forms of ornamentation that I've included in my structures dozens of times now. Give me new stuff to fire the imagination please.
I would actually like more items like the saddle. Stuff you have to go exploring to find, but does neat little things.

OKAY WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY HERE IS I WANT A HOOKSHOT

Jasoco

Banned
Now that the big bug fix is about to come out, I think 1.7 needs to be adding as much small things as possible. Even if they take 2-3 months to do it. Just throw everything in there. I want tables and chairs to go with the beds. More paintings. More block types that are mainly for appearances. (So we're not always building houses out of sandstone, cobblestone, brick and wood.) More types of wood objects. Also, side note, please make wooden fences use a new texture than the standard boards texture. It doesn't look right. It needs a solid wood texture look with no seams. And make it so we can make different looking wood from the different tree types then different wood objects from that wood. Actual chairs would be nice that don't require a stair and two signs.

Make a second type of workbench meant just for crafting furniture that has its own set of recipes. Make it so you can sit on the chairs by right-clicking. Make it so you can place soup bowls and food and other stuff (Like torches) on tables.

Basically throw everything you can into the stew. It wouldn't clutter things up since it's all optional, but it would make the people looking for the ability to decorate their world with actual decorations.

Also, has Notch or anyone said if tall grass will grow on its own, or if it will only grow once and in new chunks? I am hoping it will grow on any grass block that has grass and is in enough light. If not right away, over time. And if you cut it, it will grow back after a set amount of time.

Glasswork

My project, started out on my own but Stabichan and Spiut joined me later.
It's an Arabian themed town, I know Ark has it as an option in the community project poll but I just couldn't wait and I really wanted to do it :x

Anyway, I present to you Medinat Al-Shams (City of the Sun in Arabic, name unofficial :T)

Side view
2011-05-26_014414.png

Small masjid
2011-05-26_014434.png

Gate
2011-05-26_014504.png

Storage room
2011-05-26_014512.png

Alley between two houses
2011-05-26_014523.png

Carpeted house
2011-05-26_014531.png

View from the center, looking at a future construction spot
2011-05-26_014536.png

Shrine to the Pre-islamic Arabic goddess of love, Wadd :>
2011-05-26_014554.png

Empty, flat desert for future expansion
2011-05-26_014601.png

Twig

Banned
Does there exist a nice in-depth tutorial on how to make the perfect monster farm?

I'm talking diagrams, grids, the works. These YouTube videos I keep finding are not what I want. ):

BooJoh

http://youtu.be/jO-y5wzmK4E

To be completely honest, this looks painfully slow. He seems to be building at about the speed someone might build on PC.. but the video is playing in high speed, so he's actually building at probably about half that speed.

I also wonder if the portable version is going to be Creative only like MC Classic, or if it just looks that way because it's such an early version.

I don't even own a smartphone so I won't be playing it either way, but I'm just a little concerned they might be spreading themselves a bit thin with the MC team.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Glasswork said:
My project, started out on my own but Stabichan and Spiut joined me later.
It's an Arabian themed town, I know Ark has it as an option in the community project poll but I just couldn't wait and I really wanted to do it :x

Anyway, I present to you Medinat Al-Shams (City of the Sun in Arabic, name unofficial :T)

Side view
2011-05-26_014414.png

Small masjid
2011-05-26_014434.png

Gate
2011-05-26_014504.png

Storage room
2011-05-26_014512.png

Alley between two houses
2011-05-26_014523.png

Carpeted house
2011-05-26_014531.png

View from the center, looking at a future construction spot
2011-05-26_014536.png

Shrine to the Pre-islamic Arabic goddess of love, Wadd :>
2011-05-26_014554.png

Empty, flat desert for future expansion
2011-05-26_014601.png

I love how your stills capture my inane prattle :D

Ark

That ship really is awesome, I can't wait to see the finished town your doing.

Who build the underwater glass square at BootyBay? It needs to be removed, it doesn't even scratch the theme of the area..

In other news; I've finally finished Neotopia...Not anywhere near how I had it imagined in my head, but I lost interest half-way through. I'll wait for the new project results to come in this weekend first, at the moment though, it's actually looking pretty close.

Coverly

Logged in today to the MC server i'm playing in and there is this large random land mass in the middle of one of our structures! It completely destroyed and overwrote anything that was there. And it wasn't a player, you can see coal blocks there. Is this random land mass generation common? We're playing vanilla MC, no mods.

Ark

Coverly said:
Logged in today to the MC server i'm playing in and there is this large random land mass in the middle of one of our structures! It completely destroyed and overwrote anything that was there. And it wasn't a player, you can see coal blocks there. Is this random land mass generation common? We're playing vanilla MC, no mods.

It's a chunk error. Is the server hosted on someone's PC? If so, did their PC crash whilst hosting the server?

We had this happen on our old server before we had it hosted by a company. We removed the chunk error manually the first time (mined it out) but when we all logged back in, it had reappeared. The section of your map is corrupt and broken, I can't remember how to fix it though.

Coverly

Ranger X said:
Are we talking of Neocraft here?

no it's not neocraft, it's a small hosted server that a few friends and I play in.
I loaded up yesterday's backup but that land was still there.

i'll mine it and see if it comes back or not, thanks for the help ark.

Twig

Banned
BooJoh said:
I don't even own a smartphone so I won't be playing it either way, but I'm just a little concerned they might be spreading themselves a bit thin with the MC team.
They're not, because they hired someone specifically to make the portable version.

BooJoh

Twig said:
They're not, because they hired someone specifically to make the portable version.
But then Jens stopped working on MC to work on MC Portable.

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/73324440871649280

As far as I can tell, Notch is the only one actively working on MC, possibly one other coder. And "actively" has plenty of room for debate.

I don't know, I hate to be negative about it, and generally just go with the flow, but things have just slowed down so significantly since Mojang was formed and have never really gotten back to where they were, and you'd think more people would = faster and/or more significant updates. Notch is pretty open about his development process, so it's not hard to see just from his twitter account that when he does sit down and work on MC, he gets a lot done in a day. So it's not hard to deduce that Minecraft is getting very short bursts of fast development, rather than the steady attention it should be getting until it hits Release.

Especially in contrast to how much content Terraria had right from the get-go, including some features that were expected to be in Minecraft ages ago. (Seriously, I hate myself for comparing Minecraft to Terraria, but it's hard not to at this point.)

</negative nancy>

I'm currently on a break from Minecraft, but I really just hope we at least see some NPCs and stuff by Release version, which is just over 5 months away.

Twig

Banned
BooJoh said:
But then Jens stopped working on MC to work on MC Portable.
I'm pretty sure he was never intended to be fulltime on Minecraft proper, although I could be mistaken.
And "actively" has plenty of room for debate.
Now you just sound like a whiner. Did you not see the enormous list of bugfixes in the next update? In case you don't realize this, implementing stuff is ridiculously easy. It's making sure it doesn't break that requires hard work. Fixing bugs? Probably takes up more development time than anything else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Vlad said:
Use pickaxes on both to get them back.

The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that's completely unrecoverable are the stair blocks and boats. Still, you get some resources back from either, so it's not a total loss.

Glass?

Glasswork, if you press F2 you can remove the GUI and chat display and such for screenshots- you may know this already but just in case.

BooJoh

Twig said:
Now you just sound like a whiner. Did you not see the enormous list of bugfixes in the next update? In case you don't realize this, implementing stuff is ridiculously easy. It's making sure it doesn't break that requires hard work. Fixing bugs? Probably takes up more development time than anything else.
108 bugfixes in 1.6

He did 34 of those in one day.

I'm not saying all bugs can be fixed as easily, but I'd bet the 108 bugfixes probably took a week or two of dev time at most. Notch seems to have a very off-and-on development cycle going on, and that's his prerogative. I totally respect what he's doing, as I've dabbled in programming and could never achieve what he has. I'm merely comparing the post-Mojang development speed to the pre-Mojang development speed. I'm wondering if Notch is still flying solo for most of this, because I think most people assumed the extra help would speed things along faster, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ranger X

I made a community farm in Booty Bay. (reeds, wheat and cactus)
It's near the other community buildings (furnace, workshop, mine) but a little bit more towards my house. It's more for the looks that I made it but who knows, someone might need it too. In any cases, if you take something, please replant immediately.

Enco

I'm with Boo on this.

Minecraft needs a LOT of work before it can be classed as complete.

1. There are hardly any sound effects. Walking around a silent world doesn't help with the immersion
2. There are very few monster types/animals
3. There are no NPCs
4. There's very little loot (I.e. Zero reason to explore)
5. There are very few environments
6. There are no decorative items. This seems like a very small thing but tables and chairs would help buildings feel far more complete instead of huge empty rooms

Minecraft has one of, if not the most stagnant and frozen game world of any game. The game has so much potential but it's nowhere close to reaching it.

Unless if you wanna build a lot of stuff all the time, you'll get bored pretty quickly.

Jasoco

Banned
Agreed. Terraria is already trying to make a play for Minecraft's spot by being what Minecraft is supposed to be. (Except not in 3D, personally I prefer MC.)

The only loot is what you find in dungeons. But I'd love to stumble upon random chests occasionally with really rare items in them out in the open.

And I've been wanting more ambience forever. Birds chirping, crickets chirping. All we have is cows, pigs and chickens making sounds. And wolves. And enemies. There's no wind sound. No leaves rustling. And the only time you hear water is when it's falling.

I also want to hear the sound of my minecart rolling along. And if I'm not in it and one goes by, I want to hear it pass me.

The world is so huge, but it's silent. Even lava makes no sound. Caves are silent. There should be distant dripping of water. Maybe the sound of bats. Hell, put some bats in the game too that will rush out of a cave on the surface when you find one. Or when they're spooked. Or when a torch is placed in a previously dark area of the entrance.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
And I've been wanting more ambience forever. Birds chirping, crickets chirping. All we have is cows, pigs and chickens making sounds. And wolves. And enemies. There's no wind sound. No leaves rustling. And the only time you hear water is when it's falling.

I also want to hear the sound of my minecart rolling along. And if I'm not in it and one goes by, I want to hear it pass me.

The world is so huge, but it's silent. Even lava makes no sound. Caves are silent. There should be distant dripping of water. Maybe the sound of bats. Hell, put some bats in the game too that will rush out of a cave on the surface when you find one. Or when they're spooked. Or when a torch is placed in a previously dark area of the entrance.

+100

Really wish Notch could read this post.

Twig

Banned
BooJoh said:
108 bugfixes in 1.6

He did 34 of those in one day.

I'm not saying all bugs can be fixed as easily, but I'd bet the 108 bugfixes probably took a week or two of dev time at most. Notch seems to have a very off-and-on development cycle going on, and that's his prerogative. I totally respect what he's doing, as I've dabbled in programming and could never achieve what he has. I'm merely comparing the post-Mojang development speed to the pre-Mojang development speed. I'm wondering if Notch is still flying solo for most of this, because I think most people assumed the extra help would speed things along faster, and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Nether in multiplayer?

I'm going to stop talking about this with you because I don't want to offend you, and I know I will. You're seriously underestimating the difficulty of developing software of any kind, let alone a game.

I will, however, point to my previous post, where I, too, am asking for tons of new content. :D http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28058407&postcount=4564

Also, because no one answered...!

Twig said:
Does there exist a nice in-depth tutorial on how to make the perfect monster farm?

I'm talking diagrams, grids, the works. These YouTube videos I keep finding are not what I want. ):

Mik2121

1.6 is out!

So yeah, Ark, update the server! I wanna make some mapz :p (it would be so nice if we could place them on walls like the paintings)

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
Downloaded. No tall grass in already existing areas. Boooo. Will it grow in?
Maybe after some rain?.. It also says tall grass in _some_ biomes. Maybe only the lush ones with the darker green grass and tree leaves? Dunno really..

Jasoco

Banned
Already looked. It's obviously going to have to grow in if they made it so it grows back. Would suck to have it not grow back. Even if really slowly. Of course then it gets as tedious as having to weed your Animal Crossing town every day.

BooJoh

Twig said:
You're seriously underestimating the difficulty of developing software of any kind, let alone a game.
Honestly, I'm really not. You seem to be making assumptions that I'm: 1) naive about game/software development, and 2) angry and/or whining. Neither is true at all.

You really missed my original point, but I'm fine with dropping the subject because we're clearly not on the same page and I have no interest in getting on anyone's bad side over semantics.

Jasoco said:
Already looked. It's obviously going to have to grow in if they made it so it grows back. Would suck to have it not grow back. Even if really slowly. Of course then it gets as tedious as having to weed your Animal Crossing town every day.
Apparently seeds come from tall grass now, so it would be a bit of a shame if it doesn't grow on existing areas.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think I'll stay on 1.5 until Ark updates the server. I haven't played single player in weeks now, I have no intention of starting now, lol!

BooJoh

I think tall grass only grows on chunk generation, and can't be replanted or regrown. I don't see any way to make maps with different zoom levels or rename maps. Booster rails seem like they've been given a nice boost though.

So far the map seems like a good replacement for the compass once you move to a bed spawn, but doesn't seem terribly useful beyond that.

Ark

Minecraft 1.6, and how it affects NeoCraft

Right now, if you want to play on the server. You'll have to not update your client, because the server is still running 1.5. I can't even load the server on to Vanilla 1.6 yet because Multiplay have yet to configure everything since the update only came out a few hours ago.

What usually happens, is Multiplay waits for the 1.6.x updates that stabilise all the bugs that come along with 1.6, as well as providing a download for the 1.5 client. Multiplay haven't made a statement or anything on their forums yet, so I fully expect one in the coming hours.

Hopefully we'll be on 1.6 with the essential mods updated within a week, possibly two weeks at a push.

-------------

Has anyone had any lagg issues recently?

We seem to have fixed the lagg issue, both with the corrupted plugin fixed and the server upgrade. I'd just like to make sure no one else is suffering lagg too.

Crap, my new laptop wont arrive until later today or tomorrow - does anyone have a link for the 1.5 client and how to stop it from updating? I'm jonesing for some Minecraft action, can't wait to check out all the progress that's been made on the server :)

Ark

Bootaaay said:
Crap, my new laptop wont arrive until later today or tomorrow - does anyone have a link for the 1.5 client and how to stop it from updating? I'm jonesing for some Minecraft action, can't wait to check out all the progress that's been made on the server :)

I'll try and upload mine! Although it is the Mac client, I'm not so sure it'll work on PC but it's worth a try.

strata8

Ark said:
I'll try and upload mine! Although it is the Mac client, I'm not so sure it'll work on PC but it's worth a try.

EDIT:

Try this, hopefully it works.
Uh, that's the launcher, not the client :p. The client is a .jar file, and distributing it is actually violating the EULA.

Use MCNostalgia. It's a cross-platform Python program that uses binary patches to 'downgrade' Minecraft. It even has patches all the way down to the original release of InfDev.

Ark

NotTarts said:
Uh, that's the launcher, not the client :p. The client is a .jar file, and distributing it is actually violating the EULA.

Use MCNostalgia. It's a cross-platform Python program that uses binary patches to 'downgrade' Minecraft. It even has patches all the way down to the original release of InfDev.

Well, nevermind then.

Toki1776

Regarding staying on 1.5:
The launcher will ask you if you want to update, tell it no to stay on 1.5. If you've already updated, it's not too hard to go back. In the .minecraft\bin folder, it stores a backup of each update's minecraft.jar. All you have to do is rename minecraft-1.5_01.jar to minecraft.jar. It might be a good idea to make a copy of the minecraft-1.5_01.jar file and put it in a safe place, just in case.

Hope this is clear enough...

Mikor

Hey Civil Wars players watching thread,

Like Ark's server, we too are still on 1.5. We also use CraftBukkit as our core mod API, and as a result our hands are tied until, at a minimum, Bukkit has been updated and our core plugins have updated to that new build of Bukkit.

If you already have a backed up copy of 1.5 like we've been recommending on our community site and MOTD, great - just overwrite your minecraft.jar with that, and decline updates for the time being.

We should also note that we are abandoning our idea for all-in-one integrated accounts. The job has proven too time consuming for us to handle on top of real life, and so therefore with our server's 1.6 update we will be reverting to the original Wiki format.

I strongly suggest all players, veteran and newcomer alike, read over the wiki once again when we have updated, as our 1.6 update is bringing a total overhaul of the entire factions system and the inclusion of Battlegrounds.

Just want to give a quick thanks to all of our supporters here on NeoGAF - Exano and I are GAFfers before all else for a reason!

Ranger X

Twig said:
How to farm monsters

I think I answered you earlier but you didn't see me. There are Youtubes out there but they might not answer your questions directly. I however know how to make the most effective mob grinders so I suggest you ask your questions. I will help you.

Ranger X

Ark said:
Has anyone had any lagg issues recently?

We seem to have fixed the lagg issue, both with the corrupted plugin fixed and the server upgrade. I'd just like to make sure no one else is suffering lagg too.

I still have lag. More than ever since ~ a week. I get NPCs foxing with the ground (lag in updating their position) and I still have enough lag so I can only kill monsters safely with arrows.

Also, I have a question about the update. I want 2 clients at the same time. Is that possible? I previously downloaded another Minecraft.exe and duplicated my other one's folder elsewhere as a backup. Now, if I execute another minecraft.exe, will it go overwrite something into my other Minecraft data or it will simply create another "install" ?

Top Bottom