• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

Ranger X said:
I still have lag. More than ever since ~ a week. I get NPCs foxing with the ground (lag in updating their position) and I still have enough lag so I can only kill monsters safely with arrows.

Also, I have a question about the update. I want 2 clients at the same time. Is that possible? I previously downloaded another Minecraft.exe and duplicated my other one's folder elsewhere as a backup. Now, if I execute another minecraft.exe, will it go overwrite something into my other Minecraft data or it will simply create another "install" ?

Your save data and such should all stay the same. You're just using the 1.5 client instead of the 1.6 client.

And I have no idea about the lag, mine is almost zilch :l

Eh, tried the patcher (both Python and the .exe versions) and it crashes Minecraft before it gets to the main menu - however, I managed to find the 1.51 minecraft.jar online, but apparently that's not enough as when I use it to launch Minecraft it lets me log into the server, but crashes the minute the game loads :/

Anyone got any suggestions?

*edit, nevermind - I found a 1.5.jar that didn't crash Minecraft :)

Ranger X

YESSS. Drowning tubes are still working!!

But for the rest of the update... :(

- My FPS got divided almost by 2
- There are new FPS hiccups like when the game is generating chunks except it's all the time now.
- Tall grass causes me tearing

And as always... the chunks that are already generated aren't updated with the changes. This means you're fucked when you're like me and you explored your seed quite alot. I have to walk infinitely far if I want seeds now per example.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ranger X said:

- There are new FPS hiccups like when the game is generating chunks except it's all the time now.

And as always... the chunks that are already generated aren't updated with the changes. This means you're fucked when you're like me and you explored your seed quite alot. I have to walk infinitely far if I want seeds now per example.

Well, I'm glad I'm not updating then. If that's how 1.6 performs, then Ark feel free to keep Neocraft on 1.5 for as long as you want!

Ark

Mengy said:
Well, I'm glad I'm not updating then. If that's how 1.6 performs, then Ark feel free to keep Neocraft on 1.5 for as long as you want!

We'll have to update eventually haha. Notch will no doubt fix the bugs as they come, which is why Multiplay don't upgrade immediately ;)

Ranger X

My loss of FPS must be majorly due to the OpenGL option being blocked and turned off right now.

And shit man, it doesn't work to have 2 clients. I need to duplicate some data except the saves. God bless me backing up my version 1.5 ...

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
My loss of FPS must be majorly due to the OpenGL option being blocked and turned off right now.
I got the same thing. I wonder if it was conflicting with something else they did in 1.6, because otherwise it's a shame they disabled it, as there are obviously people out there (myself included) for whom the OpenGL option was a very welcome performance boost with only slight bugginess (like seeing through land for a split second when jumping up a hill for example.)

Also I really would hope long grass could grow since it would open tons of landscaping options, and in a world as dynamic as Minecraft I just hate the idea that there's things I can change that can't be undone as easily as they should. Just as an example, let's say I build a house, and in the process clean out the long grass in an area. If I then decide I built the house in the wrong spot, I have the option to move it, but that long grass will never grow back, leaving an unnatural bare spot.

I also just really don't want to ditch the world I have dozens of hours of work put into just so I can have long grass, but I really do like the aesthetic.

bengraven

Ranger X said:

Oh great, so for someone like me who's using a former multiplayer world that's fucking massive as his single player, I'm screwed.

Mengy

BooJoh said:
Also I really would hope long grass could grow since it would open tons of landscaping options, and in a world as dynamic as Minecraft I just hate the idea that there's things I can change that can't be undone as easily as they should. Just as an example, let's say I build a house, and in the process clean out the long grass in an area. If I then decide I built the house in the wrong spot, I have the option to move it, but that long grass will never grow back, leaving an unnatural bare spot.

Wait, so the grass is like flowers, static and generated at world generation, and once it is gone it is gone? Well that sucks. Is it possible to plant new grass in any way?

I wish Notch would make flowers growable, it would help so much with dyes and flower gardens, especially on SMP servers.

BooJoh

Mengy said:
Wait, so the grass is like flowers, static and generated at world generation, and once it is gone it is gone? Well that sucks. Is it possible to plant new grass in any way?
As far as I can tell, no. Long grass is scattered liberally over grass tiles when you generate a new world (and presumably new chunks of an old world.) When you destroy tall grass, it has a chance to drop seeds. Those seeds can be used to plant only in tilled soil to grow... wheat? Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me at all.

And unless the growth rate is just really, really, really slow, then I don't think it'll grow naturally on existing chunks, because I wandered around my world for a while and didn't see a single occurrence of long grass, but when I created a new world it was everywhere.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history

A lot of new bugs seem to have popped up too, so for those of you playing multiplayer it's probably a good idea to hold off on 1.6 until things get smoothed out again.

Salaadin

New bug "Dropping any tool with "q" or when dying then picking it again and using it causes the tool to disappear."

Is that common? That seems pretty crazy.
I updated everything this morning before work. I knew I should have waited. Damnit.

bengraven

YES! I love the secret additions that don't make it into the official patch notes!

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Dead_Shrubs#Dead_Shrubs - shrubs! FINALLY!

Living Shrubs:
2011-05-26_11.40.08.png

Dead shrubs:

DeadShrubs.png

barnone

I know I am a bit late to this, but how do I earn myself a whitelist to the Civil War server?
Game name is barnone.

Edit: I'm in :>

Mengy

Hawkian said:
UM. How is it i'm just seeing slimes for the first time? Madness.

When I was digging out the initial public mine under Booty Bay the place was infested with slimes. Huge ones too. Haven't seen too many down there since though.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
YES! I love the secret additions that don't make it into the official patch notes!

Dead shrubs:

DeadShrubs.png

They are in the patch notes :p
As for your world that is already explored (like mine), you are fucked. It's like this with every update that adds something. A chunk that is already generated with NEVER get generated again. Let's say you generated some chunks in 1.5, they will forever and only contain what was available in Minecraft 1.5. Nothing will ever regenerate again until Notch would rework how his updates and generation engine is coded. (aka - will not happen)

I really think he needs to change tall grass into something that grows on grass. It baffles me that it doesn't work like that. I also think wheat should grow naturally, and that's where you get wheat seeds or whatever. It just makes way more sense.

Also, I've been watching cool Piston Mod videos all day. I really hope that the pistons Notch adds work the same way, because you can make some amazing stuff. My favorite is self-building, regenerating buildings. Mindblowingly awesome.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Ranger X said:
They are in the patch notes :p
As for your world that is already explored (like mine), you are fucked. It's like this with every update that adds something. A chunk that is already generated with NEVER get generated again. Let's say you generated some chunks in 1.5, they will forever and only contain what was available in Minecraft 1.5. Nothing will ever regenerate again until Notch would rework how his updates and generation engine is coded. (aka - will not happen)

Does that mean restarting existing servers? Or mass migrations to new areas within said servers?

I want to see tall grass :(

Mengy

AtlusAram said:
Does that mean restarting existing servers? Or mass migrations to new areas within said servers?

I think it means we won't be seeing tall grass on Neocraft until we explore and expand into new areas (generate new chunks). It also means that newcomers won't be able to start wheat farms without seed donations from players who have stockpiles of extra seeds. I think I'll start harvesting my wheat regularly just to start stocking up on seeds.

Ark

AtlusAram said:

There's plenty of room for exploring on NeoCraft, plus we can 'trim' the areas that aren't being used, so that they can re-generate.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
I think it means we won't be seeing tall grass on Neocraft until we explore and expand into new areas (generate new chunks). It also means that newcomers won't be able to start wheat farms without seed donations from players who have stockpiles of extra seeds. I think I'll start harvesting my wheat regularly just to start stocking up on seeds.

Exactly. And seeds are especially a bitch because you never get a seed back, only wheat. Bread will become some of the rarest curing item in Neocraft lol.
Champignons can now be harvested though since they now spread. I am curious to add to my community farm. Champignon soup could become the new bread.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
Exactly. And seeds are especially a bitch because you never get a seed back, only wheat. Bread will become some of the rarest curing item in Neocraft lol.
Champignons can now be harvested though since they now spread. I am curious to add to my community farm. Champignon soup could become the new bread.

WAIT, are you saying that even harvested wheat from farms won't give seeds back in 1.6? Surely I am misunderstanding that, right???

Ark

With Minecraft version 1.6.4 been released we're about to make Vanilla available as a swappable Mod.

There are a number of issues with Minecraft 1.6 so we DO NOT recommend using this at all, however if you would like to test the new features heres how, but it is at your own risk

We do not recommend swapping to 1.6 at this time, due to the following issues:

• High CPU when swapping between Nether and Normal World(s)
  • High chance of being stuck in a 'void' and never seeing your world when connecting, a reconnect sometimes fixes this
  • Getting stuck in a void when changing between your normal world and nether
    - Due to this we've currently set allow-nether=false by default, this can be changed in your profile if you wish.
  • You can't name your nether world
  • Can't load in your existing nether world in to the new system
  • Item pickups are broken (dropping an item & repicking it up, destroy in one use)

Straight from Multiplay themselves.

Grinchy

Banned
Ark said:
There's plenty of room for exploring on NeoCraft, plus we can 'trim' the areas that aren't being used, so that they can re-generate.
I wasn't sure if that was possible, but it sounds like a pretty nice option to have. There have been people who have just gone on very long walks, not to build, but just to walk lol. Those areas could be re-generated for sure.

Also wow it sounds like 1.6 kinda sucks so far. Worse performance and new bugs? New "features" that just make things more of a pain in the ass? I guess I have no problem waiting weeks for that.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I wasn't sure if that was possible, but it sounds like a pretty nice option to have. There have been people who have just gone on very long walks, not to build, but just to walk lol. Those areas could be re-generated for sure.

Also wow it sounds like 1.6 kinda sucks so far. Worse performance and new bugs? New "features" that just make things more of a pain in the ass? I guess I have no problem waiting weeks for that.

It happens with every update, but not usually this badly iirc.

And yeah, Toki has already trimmed down the map when we had those three giant 'tails' that went off into no where on the map.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I've seen complaints about an update before, but these sound awful to me. This is actually the first time I haven't updated immediately and have no intention to.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ckohler said:
This is why I prefer single-player. Multiplayer has been, and continues to be, too buggy.

To play devil's advocate, the is technically still in beta.

I haven't updated myself so I can't comment on how good/bad it might be.

Jasoco

Banned
Dead shrubs? Damn, I wish we could plant live ones in grassy areas. That's all I want. Bushes. Can the shrubs be claimed? What do they give you when you dig them up?

Sciz

Mengy said:
WAIT, are you saying that even harvested wheat from farms won't give seeds back in 1.6? Surely I am misunderstanding that, right???
Just tried this (among other things), and wheat still drops seeds like normal.

Toki1776

callmedave said:
I didn't know this was possible. What program do you use?

I use MCEdit, which can be found here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/13807-mcedit-minecraft-world-editor-beta-15-01-compatible/

Also, for a new page, and for those who didn't see it:
Toki1776 said:
Regarding staying on 1.5:
The launcher will ask you if you want to update, tell it no to stay on 1.5. If you've already updated, it's not too hard to go back. In the .minecraft\bin folder, it stores a backup of each update's minecraft.jar. All you have to do is rename minecraft-1.5_01.jar to minecraft.jar. It might be a good idea to make a copy of the minecraft-1.5_01.jar file and put it in a safe place, just in case.

Hope this is clear enough...

Atomski

Figured I'd try out the patch.. seems more broken than before. Any reason for it being choppy now?

Oh well back to Terraria :p.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ark said:
Can you do that?

Can I do that in my single player world, so I can keep all my constructions and regenerate everything else?

That would be baller. Please elaborate.

Ark

drizzle said:
Can you do that?

Can I do that in my single player world, so I can keep all my constructions and regenerate everything else?

That would be baller. Please elaborate.

You can use MCEdit to cut out sections of the map you don't want, when you go back to these sections, the game generates those chunks again, completely fresh and new.

ToyBroker

Banned
New patch sucks big time.

Game runs 3X worse on my MBP than it did before. There's no way optimine gave that much of a boost either.

Seeds only from tall grass sucks too. If you've explored a shit-ton of your map, you're not gonna find any.

ToyBroker

Banned
Don't drop anything in the new update BTW guys or it'll be gone forever.

I found the bug the hard way when I dropped my brand new diamond pickaxe, only to pick it up again and have it disappear after destroying one block.

Same goes for armor and everything else.

Kuran

Banned
I notice there has already been some patches to 1.6.. should I still wait? I've been waiting to jump in again and start a fresh seed.

Ark

elrechazao said:
Oh, I just launched minecraft and it autoupdated. Will the server update or should i do something about my version?

The server most likely wont be updated for around 1-2 weeks.

You can downgrade your client yourself. If you go into the Minecraft bin folder, you'll see a minecraft1.5_01.jar or something along those lines. Just rename that to 'minecraft.jar' without the quotations and start it up.

Just remember that when it asks you to update, you click 'Not Now'.

Kuran said:
I notice there has already been some patches to 1.6.. should I still wait? I've been waiting to jump in again and start a fresh seed.

It's still super buggy from what I'm hearing.

elrechazao said:
Oh, I just launched minecraft and it autoupdated. Will the server update or should i do something about my version?

Someone posted a tool on the previous page that downloads and patches Minecraft to an older version. Give that a go, but if it doesn't work you'll have to try and find a 1.5-1 copy of the minecraft.jar on the net to get it to work.

ToyBroker

Banned
Kuran said:

Wait.

Lotta bugs.

Wish I would have waited. The maps are also nothing special. Pretty much useless.

BooJoh

Kuran said:
Seems like a lot of new game-breaking bugs made it through this time. If you want to try a new seed you might not have too many issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's another patch by tomorrow.

Top Bottom