• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Twig

Banned
Ark said:
You can use MCEdit to cut out sections of the map you don't want, when you go back to these sections, the game generates those chunks again, completely fresh and new.
Are they still the same, though, as if you hadn't built there? It still uses the same seed, right?

bengraven

After almost a year of MC, I've learned one thing you need to accept is that when you play MP, you have to wait longer than everyone else to enjoy the patch.

Jasoco

Banned
No, it should generte the exact same chunk that was there when you first created it. That's how the seeds work. Using the same seed will generate the same world.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My computer is just crashing left and right with the new update.

It might be my videocard tho, as I believe there's a leaking capacitor on it. Oh well, my GTX570 should be arriving anytime soon.

I think it's 60% chance of being minecraft's fault tho.

Toki1776

Ark said:
It generates an entirely new chunk of map, so I'm afraid not.

Actually, it does generate pretty much exactly as it was originally, although things like ore distribution may be a bit different.

Twig

Banned
Toki1776 said:
Actually, it does generate pretty much exactly as it was originally, although things like ore distribution may be a bit different.
That's what I thought, since it uses the same seed.

Hummm. Do I want to do this for that enormous desert I found a few days ago. SHRUBS.

Ranger X said:
I think I answered you earlier but you didn't see me. There are Youtubes out there but they might not answer your questions directly. I however know how to make the most effective mob grinders so I suggest you ask your questions. I will help you.
Ah, must have missed it. My bad.

I know there are a ton of videos, but it's difficult for me to grasp it when someone's just running around talking. I wish someone would make a grid-like drawing, showing exactly how to do it on each level. X:

Basically, I don't know how deep, or if I need to go deep, or how big. I can probably figure the channeling out on my own. Probably.

I think I'm finally getting tired of the shitty art. Those "shrubs" are hideous as are the birch and pine saplings, the map, pretty much every new texture gets uglier and uglier. The charm of the graphics is slowly disappearing for me. I used to be able to use the default textures but I don't know anymore.

I know junkboy is working on Scrolls but surely he has some time to design the new textures.

Amneisac

I'm trying to host a server and this is what keeps happening:

xEaPt.png

My friends and I can all connect, but the world is obviously messed up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled java, and deleted and reinstalled the server.

Anyone have any ideas? Does it just take a while to actually populate the world or something? I've waited a few minutes, but it's still the same.

I guess it just takes >10 minutes to set the world up? Maybe I was just being impatient? I played for about 30 seconds and the screen went black. Hmm.. I'll keep messing I guess!

BooJoh

Amneisac said:
I'm trying to host a server and this is what keeps happening:

http://i.imgur.com/xEaPt.png[IMG]

My friends and I can all connect, but the world is obviously messed up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled java, and deleted and reinstalled the server.

Anyone have any ideas? Does it just take a while to actually populate the world or something? I've waited a few minutes, but it's still the same.

I guess it just takes >10 minutes to set the world up? Maybe I was just being impatient? I played for about 30 seconds and the screen went black. Hmm.. I'll keep messing I guess![/QUOTE]
Pretty sure your problem is Minecraft 1.6.x

[url]http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history[/url]

If you look down that list, most of the bugs listed next to 1.6 through 1.6.4 are still there. This patch seems to have wreaked havoc on multiplayer servers.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
WAIT, are you saying that even harvested wheat from farms won't give seeds back in 1.6? Surely I am misunderstanding that, right???

You're making me doubt. When we cut wheat, does it give both seeds and wheat? I remember only getting wheat. Anyhow, if it does give seeds it's not like it's supposed to stop now. I meant that seeds will be rarer because it's only tall grass that will give them away now as opposed to "any grass".

Ranger X

ToyBroker said:
Don't drop anything in the new update BTW guys or it'll be gone forever.

I found the bug the hard way when I dropped my brand new diamond pickaxe, only to pick it up again and have it disappear after destroying one block.

Same goes for armor and everything else.

Wow, this is one very fucking bad bug. :/

strata8

I'm looking at the bug list here, and I can't help but feel that Minecraft just needs a complete rewrite :/ A bit extreme, but it's just a complete mess if stuff like this is going to happen every update.

NotTarts said:
I'm looking at the bug list here, and I can't help but feel that Minecraft just needs a complete rewrite :/ A bit extreme, but it's just a complete mess if stuff like this is going to happen every update.
Yeah I'm starting to agree more and more with this sentiment after every update. Seems like it's getting worse and worse, and I'm assuming a lot of these bugs are because the code is getting more and more convoluted.

Ranger X

NotTarts said:

Well, I am looking at the list and it's not bugs that are hard to find. It probably just goes to show that Mojang doesn't test their stuff enough and would need a couple of QA guys doing just that. If they have some already, looks like they need more or them.

Jasoco

Banned
NotTarts said:
I still think he needs to rewrite it in a language better suited for big 3D games. Minecraft may look simple, but it is a lot of polygons and is very complex. They should rewrite it in C++ or something else cross-platform. Java just isn't suited for this kind of performance.

strata8

Ranger X said:
Well, I am looking at the list and it's not bugs that are hard to find. It probably just goes to show that Mojang doesn't test their stuff enough and would need a couple of QA guys doing just that. If they have some already, looks like they need more or them.
The problem is that every time he adds a new feature/fixes something, another completely unrelated element of the game breaks. I mean, the stuff about cobwebs acting like solid blocks now - how does that even happen?

Shambles

Jasoco said:
I still think he needs to rewrite it in a language better suited for big 3D games. Minecraft may look simple, but it is a lot of polygons and is very complex. They should rewrite it in C++ or something else cross-platform. Java just isn't suited for this kind of performance.

Oh god this. I have nothing but loathing for java and wish it would forever be scrubbed from this planet. Minecraft built on a proper language would be so much more efficient and stable.

Ranger X

NotTarts said:
The problem is that every time he adds a new feature/fixes something, another completely unrelated element of the game breaks. I mean, the stuff about cobwebs acting like solid blocks now - how does that even happen?

Yes, but this is normal in software devellopment. If you'd be playing a videogame while it's being made and still in alpha/beta, this happens alot. If he's fixing more bugs than he is introducing, it will be fine in the end. What scares me is that the game is supposed to receive new stuff and system for at least until next November when it's "released". If he's having a hard time debugging his stuff now, it will be crazy debugging it next fall. He WILL need to hire people to test his stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ark said:
Minecraft has been ready as a full game since long into Alpha tbh.

Ark, please bear in mind that I really love Minecraft, have enormous respect for Notch and Mojang and the incredible community including you and Toki and everyone else involved with running NeoCraft. And when I say "really love," I mean I'm seriously. I think I just cleared the 100-hour mark of total playing time and I haven't even completed a third of what I'd like to do in my SP world alone.

But can you really stand behind this?

Putting aside the philosophical debate over whether or not Minecraft is a "game" at all, let alone a full game, and also looking past the low-resolution default graphics, the pre-existing bugs and psuedo-features Notch still wants to correct, the wiki-requiring learning curve, the performance and optimization issues, and the general lack of "gamelike" features so far...

This is not what a 1.x patch deployment looks like for a full, released game. This kind of widespread chaos, the introduction of new bugs and performance problems, especially considering the relatively light set of new singleplayer features included, would cause an absolute ragestorm if this had been a patch automatically pushed to a retail game on Steam. The prevailing "just wait to update" attitude in here right now is not the kind of thing that is tolerated by people who have paid the price for a finished product.

It's all excusable because Minecraft is still a Beta with a capital B. None of this is surprising or frustrating from my perspective because there's a nice big "Beta" slapped across my GUI every time I play it. I knew what I was getting into when I paid for it, and what I paid for was not a finished game, ready-for-release. I don't see how you could argue that it has in fact been ready to release since Alpha, or why you would even want to.

A lot can change between now and November and I have complete faith in the team to put in the work to get it ready if that's what they want to do. But right now there is a long way to go.

Most of the things I feel about Minecraft are captured very well in Yahtzee's excellent Zero Punctuation review. He touches on the ways in which Minecraft is not exactly a game, the Beta-ness of it all, and above all else, the things it does right and the undeniable fun that comes with then.

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Yes, but this is normal in software devellopment. If you'd be playing a videogame while it's being made and still in alpha/beta, this happens alot. If he's fixing more bugs than he is introducing, it will be fine in the end. What scares me is that the game is supposed to receive new stuff and system for at least until next November when it's "released". If he's having a hard time debugging his stuff now, it will be crazy debugging it next fall. He WILL need to hire people to test his stuff.
Java can be good for developing a small indie game, but Minecraft has become bigger than just an Indie game, and even at its earliest iterations it was pushing the limits of Java. It's time to move onto a more professional and portable language. Something that can be compiled to pretty much any platform it needs to be on.

Twig

Banned
Treefingers said:
I think I'm finally getting tired of the shitty art. Those "shrubs" are hideous as are the birch and pine saplings, the map, pretty much every new texture gets uglier and uglier. The charm of the graphics is slowly disappearing for me. I used to be able to use the default textures but I don't know anymore.

I know junkboy is working on Scrolls but surely he has some time to design the new textures.
I know how you feel. I use Jolicraft because I've hated the default skin for a long time. Obviously everyone has their preferences, but I've yet to see anyone here using Jolicraft, so I'll just share it. U:

http://www.jolicraft.com/

It's whimsical, but not cartoony, if that makes sense. I love it!

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Java can be good for developing a small indie game, but Minecraft has become bigger than just an Indie game, and even at its earliest iterations it was pushing the limits of Java. It's time to move onto a more professional and portable language. Something that can be compiled to pretty much any platform it needs to be on.

This I agree with, obviously. However, it wouldn't be a promise for a less buggy game in my opinion. It is 100% related to how Notch works and his organised and not the language he uses. But yeah, Minecraft could be much much more in C++.

Hawkian said:
Most of the things I feel about Minecraft are captured very well in Yahtzee's excellent Zero Punctuation review. He touches on the ways in which Minecraft is not exactly a game, the Beta-ness of it all, and above all else, the things it does right and the undeniable fun that comes with then.

LOL, I just saw this for the first time ;)
Minecraft however is 100% a game if you feel like talking about that though. It's not a complete game either but more because if its nature than anything else imo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone using a 3rd party server host for a personal server? I'm looking to move the LAN server I'm running on my mac mini and the costs for external hosting look tolerable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ranger X said:
Minecraft however is 100% a game if you feel like talking about that though. It's not a complete game either but more because if its nature than anything else imo.

Sure, let's have at it. :p For starters, what's your case that it's not only a game but 100% a game? Surely you believe there's a toy/creation tool/funtime musicbox in there, somewhere?

Ark

Hawkian said:
But can you really stand behind this?

Stand behind what? Beta patches that bring more bugs than they fix? Of course I can. Have you ever been in a beta before? I can tell you that I've been in many beta's before, and this Minecraft 'beta' is probably the most well handled beta I've ever participated in.

Hawkian said:
This is not what a 1.x patch deployment looks like for a full, released game. This kind of widespread chaos, the introduction of new bugs and performance problems, especially considering the relatively light set of new singleplayer features included, would cause an absolute ragestorm if this had been a patch automatically pushed to a retail game on Steam. The prevailing "just wait to update" attitude in here right now is not the kind of thing that is tolerated by people who have paid the price for a finished product.

No it isn't, but then Minecraft is still in it's beta stages. If you were expecting a patch that would work straight from the get-go during a beta, then I'm afraid you are very misinformed.

Hawkian said:
This kind of widespread chaos, the introduction of new bugs and performance problems, especially considering the relatively light set of new singleplayer features included, would cause an absolute ragestorm if this had been a patch automatically pushed to a retail game on Steam.

Were you expecting new single player features? Notch said himself when he announced the Beta stage for Minecraft that he wouldn't be adding the same amount of content as he did in the Alpha, and we've all had plenty of 'warning' that patch 1.6 was going to be about Nether in SMP & a lot of bugfixes.

hawkian said:
The prevailing "just wait to update" attitude in here right now is not the kind of thing that is tolerated by people who have paid the price for a finished product.

Once again, Minecraft is not even in release-candidate stage yet. So this is irrelevant. None of us have paid the full price for a finished product, many of us bought the game in Alpha, fully expecting each patch to come with it's bugs.

Hawkian said:
Sure, let's have at it. :p For starters, what's your case that it's not only a game but 100% a game? Surely you believe there's a toy/creation tool/funtime musicbox in there, somewhere?

How is Minecraft not considered a game? It's essentially virtual Lego :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, so I totally misunderstood your original quote =o
Ark said:
Minecraft has been ready as a full game since long into Alpha tbh.
What did you mean?

Also, I think you misinterpreted the tone of my post dramatically. I've been in plenty of betas and one of the points I made is that this is exactly what I expect!

Almost everything you quoted in response to me is totally null if I misread or misunderstood that post above about Minecraft being "ready as a full game" and I apologize.

Your last line, though:

Ark said:
How is Minecraft not considered a game? It's essentially virtual Lego :)
See... I read this post as a question being asked and then answered. And I agree with the answer.

Ark

Yeah I figured you'd misunderstood my post, but I decided to go ahead and reply just for the sake of debate :p

In other news; the Community Project #2 results will go up in around 10 hours!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ark, it is a bit of a PITA considering this is a fairly significant bug fix release though. You'd think they'd test a *bit* more.

And the literal use of the term beta is a bit misleading really. Too many companies are hiding behind the 'beta' banner as an excuse for bugs and flaky updates. If you're charging for it, there is a minimum quality level I would expect to be offered. Maybe not all final features in, but I'd expect it to work well, and I'd expect each release to work well with no obvious and major impact to end users.

we aren't really beta testers, we're still customers.

Ark

mrklaw said:
Ark, it is a bit of a PITA considering this is a fairly significant bug fix release though. You'd think they'd test a *bit* more.

And the literal use of the term beta is a bit misleading really. Too many companies are hiding behind the 'beta' banner as an excuse for bugs and flaky updates. If you're charging for it, there is a minimum quality level I would expect to be offered. Maybe not all final features in, but I'd expect it to work well, and I'd expect each release to work well with no obvious and major impact to end users.

we aren't really beta testers, we're still customers.

We are customers who have pre-ordered Minecraft and have all been given the privilege of playing every stage of development that Notch has been through so far. I saw that phrase used before, I it's how I would describe it too.

You have to remember that it is only Notch working on Minecraft now, Jens is working on another Mojang project.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
Have you ever been in a beta before? I can tell you that I've been in many beta's before, and this Minecraft 'beta' is probably the most well handled beta I've ever participated in.

Man, I remember the beta for the first Starfleet Command. Every other patch broke the game to the point of being unplayable. After some time the beta patches smoothed out, but it took quite awhile. Minecraft in it's development stage has been more of a finished game than a lot of games I've bought in retail stores, lol.

As far as I'm concerned, Notch could call it finished tomorrow and I'd still be happy with my purchase. I've more than got my money's worth out of it already, and even though there are lots of things I'd like to see added and implemented into the game, as it is now the game is fun to me. Like Ark said, it's virtual Lego mixed with survival horror and spelunking, and I find it fun just the way it is. Anything he adds or fixes from now on is just gravy to me, and I'll be more than patient to wait for him to fix anything he breaks along the way while in beta. Because that's what I signed up for when I paid my money.

Now, once the game is "released" and we are out of beta, then I'll expect a different level of quality from the patches. At that point I'll be bothered when a new patch makes the game unplayable or broken. Until then, I'm enjoying the ride, even when the ride has to stop or slow down for a bit.

Looking forward to seeing what the next community project will be on Neocraft...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ark said:
We are customers who have pre-ordered Minecraft and have all been given the privilege of playing every stage of development that Notch has been through so far. I saw that phrase used before, I it's how I would describe it too.

You have to remember that it is only Notch working on Minecraft now, Jens is working on another Mojang project.

I almost agree with you, just that with the number of people that have bought into it, and the size of the mod/plugin community, it would be nice if they were a little more careful with their releases and what they break.

and never mind who is or isn't working on it, you'd think with the money they've made they could farm the mobile dev out to someone else, or hire someone in. Fuck, bet SE are paying them handsomely for it anyway, separate to core Minecraft revenue.

bengraven

I've put in 300+ hours into this. I've had fun, building shit, killing people, exploring, getting lost, getting blown up, swimming, crafting.

I don't know, people who say it's not an actual "game" yet are out of their fucking minds.

If it's not a Game, then I've wasted the last year of my life on a limited Second Life clone apparenlty.

Twig

Banned
Ark said:
Stand behind what? Beta patches that bring more bugs than they fix? Of course I can. Have you ever been in a beta before? I can tell you that I've been in many beta's before, and this Minecraft 'beta' is probably the most well handled beta I've ever participated in.
This patch brought more bugs than it fixed?

News to me. Been playing 1.6 since it was released and have only had marginal issues. x:

Grinchy

Banned
Minecraft is my favorite game so far during this generation. If it's not a "game" yet then that says a lot about the rest of the stuff I've played for the last 4 years.

mcrae

i consider it a game because i paid 75% of the full price for the priviledge to play in the open beta

or, i expect better support/less bugs because i paid 75% of the full price to play in the open "beta"

your choice. shrug.

Kalnos

Banned
bengraven said:
I've put in 300+ hours into this. I've had fun, building shit, killing people, exploring, getting lost, getting blown up, swimming, crafting.

I don't know, people who say it's not an actual "game" yet are out of their fucking minds.

People use that argument for two reasons:

1. There's no real objective (sandbox).
2. Lack of content.

I agree with them on the second point somewhat. Re-Logic pumped out Terraria fairly quickly with plenty more 'to do' outside of just making random buildings with no functionality.

Minecraft is a game that draws all of it's 'content' by how creative the person is that's playing it and how much they feel like grinding for ore. Ultimately though, after creating a building what do you do? Well, you gather more ore and create more empty buildings. I'm not saying that Minecraft should change its style, it needs to stay a sandbox building game, but Notch really needs to add some content to spice the game up. I realize that is what Notch is doing, but he's doing it rather lazily, and I'm probably a lazier programmer than he is. I would imagine having a pile of money is a rather big distraction, though.
KuGsj.gif

Glasswork

Kalnos said:
People use that argument for two reasons:

1. There's no real objective (sandbox).
2. Lack of content.

I agree with them on the second point somewhat. Re-Logic pumped out Terraria fairly quickly with plenty more 'to do' outside of just making random buildings with no functionality.

Minecraft is a game that draws all of it's 'content' by how creative the person is that's playing it and how much they feel like grinding for ore. Ultimately though, after creating a building what do you do? Well, you gather more ore and create more empty buildings. I'm not saying that Minecraft should change its style, it needs to stay a sandbox building game, but Notch really needs to add some content to spice the game up. I realize that is what Notch is doing, but he's doing it rather lazily, and I'm probably a lazier programmer than he is. I would imagine having a pile of money is a rather big distraction, though.
KuGsj.gif

I think a system like terraria would be good, where an empty house would attract an NPC and you can get special NPCs from far away lands who'd sell you some rare items :eek:

Ranger X

Hawkian said:

The first thing to understand imo is that Minecraft is not a genre of game people are used to play. It's a "new" genre, it's a real "sandbox game". Now, a sandbox game is just as much of a game as shooter or any other kind.
When you make a game, you have a concept, then you make systems and behaviors from that system and then you plan goals for the player, you tell them what the goal is. A sandbox game is also following the game creation's general logic I just described. There are concepts, behaviors and systems are made but then the goal is actually up to the player to find. Theorically, Minecraft is having a goal: It is for the player to find/create his own. Nothing wrong with that. The only difference that makes it a sandbox is that the game doesn't tell you what your goals are. The point of the game is letting the player free into his creativity and to create their fun.

So yeah, I can totally understand the reflex someone will have to say "well, this isn't a game" but if you think about Minecraft more than 2 mins, you realise it's a new type of game (a revolutionnary one at that imo) and that "finding a goal for yourself" still is in fact "a goal".

Top Bottom