• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

POLL RESULTS ARE IN!

1st: Dwarven City
2nd: Floating Sky City
3rd: Arabian City
4th: Underwater City
5th: Rome/Greek City
6th: Other Stuff

Just to let you know, I wont be selecting a place for the Dwarven city. That is up to the community again! (Although I would suggest building the entrance into a mountain and then building down, like huge stairs).

However, since Glasswork and a couple of guys already started an Arabian style city, we'll be running two community projects at once, consider it some sort of experiment if you will.

We've already got a warp set to Al-Medina. Remember that if you're going to build in Al-Medina that you'll need to stick to the ground rules once again, which are essentially that you build with sandstone, sand, wood, etc. There are already a few houses up so they give a good idea of what's acceptable.

When we've got an area selected for the Dwarven city, we can law down some ground rules for that too. Although I don't really know what ground rules could exist :p

Ranger X

Can I suggest we put up some rules that are clearer and maybe covering more things so the mishaps of Booty Bay doesn't repeat? Not that there was big problems with Booty Bay but you know, just for the search of improving.

Also, will the Nether City starts as soon as the server is updated or we delay it later anyways since there are 2 projects going on now?

Glasswork

cliffs.png

Spiut suggested this area for the the dwarven city, he can't post right now because of some problems with his account, so I'm posting for him
What do you guys think?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Glasswork said:
Spiut suggested this area for the the dwarven city, he can't post right now because of some problems with his account, so I'm posting for him
What do you guys think?

Yeah, I like that spot too. Now we just need to agree on how to start. I say a huge tunnel opening into a grand hall in the side of that mountain, more or less at ground level, and then build a grand, and I mean GRAND, staircase down to level 12 (lava lake level). Or maybe down to bedrock.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
I would leave some 10-15 levels below the city. If only for someone to build a basement.

Exactly, but if we make "ground" level at level 12 then we can easily have lava lakes, because that is the natural lava surface level. Food for thought...

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Exactly, but if we make "ground" level at level 12 then we can easily have lava lakes, because that is the natural lava surface level. Food for thought...

Exact. But don't worry, there are lava lakes everywhere (although more frequent on level 12). Anyhow, I think we are on the same page.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Gosh darn it, I had the older launcher on my home PC and it auto-updated to 1.6.4. Do they offer older versions for download on minecraft.net and/or anywhere?

strata8

Ranger X said:
Exact. But don't worry, there are lava lakes everywhere (although more frequent on level 12). Anyhow, I think we are on the same page.
The surface of the lava lakes is always at level 12, though.

AtlusAram said:
Gosh darn it, I had the older launcher on my home PC and it auto-updated to 1.6.4. Do they offer older versions for download on minecraft.net and/or anywhere?
Here. :)

Mik2121

So.. when are we starting with the project? I wanna start building soon!

I'd say we get ourselves lots of TNT and start making a big cave, after making the stairs for it.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
So.. when are we starting with the project? I wanna start building soon!

I'd say we get ourselves lots of TNT and start making a big cave, after making the stairs for it.

Well, the Arabian City is already started at least. I have 60 TNTs ready for when I'll jump in the underground project. :p

Venfayth

I wouldn't call my programmer in any way shape or form. I've taken a few classes and I know some basic concepts, but not much beyond the very simple rudimentary things. I've heard quite a few complaints (not just from gaf) saying that Minecraft consistently has way more bugs per patch than Terraria. Isn't that kind of a given based on the fundamental dimensional differences of the game? (3 dimensional physics vs 2 dimensional physics)

In essentially writing your own engine (if you could call Minecraft an engine) seems like there are a lot more intricacies than there would be in a game like Terraria.

Then again Minecraft/Notch/Mojang probably has way more resources now than ever to hire more programmers to work on these issues. I don't really know, I guess. I've always just been content with Minecraft as it is, and there are some other pretty fundamental design differences between Terraria and Minecraft that makes some of the argument I mentioned less valid.

Not trying to start or add to an argument, just trying to understand a little more of what people think about Mojang and their effort on the game comparatively.

Mengy

Okay, I briefly scouted out the area where the underground city was proposed, here is a shot of the cliffs facing the ocean:

2011-05-28_001809.png

My initial idea after seeing the area, maybe make the entrance right in the middle of this cliff under the waterfall? Like a huge stone arch opening that leads into a modest hall and at the end will be a large staircase going down to the city. Any opinions?

strata8

Ranger X said:
What do you mean? There are lava lakes everywhere. I've seen many on the ground, water level.
The lava lakes at level 12 are at a constant level, just like the ocean/lakes on the surface (at level 0). The pools at the surface are just placed there randomly by the terrain generator.

Acullis said:
I wouldn't call my programmer in any way shape or form. I've taken a few classes and I know some basic concepts, but not much beyond the very simple rudimentary things. I've heard quite a few complaints (not just from gaf) saying that Minecraft consistently has way more bugs per patch than Terraria. Isn't that kind of a given based on the fundamental dimensional differences of the game? (3 dimensional physics vs 2 dimensional physics)

In essentially writing your own engine (if you could call Minecraft an engine) seems like there are a lot more intricacies than there would be in a game like Terraria.
Both games are pretty rudimentary in the way of physics, IMO. Minecraft is probably a bit more complex in general, but that's more due to things like the infinite world gen and redstone circuitry, rather than 3D vs. 2D.

As a programmer, there have been quite a few bugs that just don't seem like they should happen in a well-designed product. I think Notch is under some pressure from the community to release updates as soon as possible, and I can give Minecraft a pass on that since it's a beta and Terraria is not, but I agree with the sentiment that Mojang could be doing a better job on that front.

Kalnos

Banned
rohlfinator said:
Minecraft a pass on that since it's a beta and Terraria is not

Terraria essentially skipped a alpha/beta stage and just called it release. There really isn't any difference and Notch can call Minecraft a beta, but it really seems more of a Google-like beta where it's just a convenient excuse that allows you to define any status you want on the software (Ex: Gmail being in beta 2004-2009). Notch could of just as easily 'released' the game and continued to apply this stuff as content patches.

Adding a Z-axis shouldn't be too problematic in Minecraft because it's a tile based game with tile collisions, he simply added a Z coordinate to his map array. The only area where that becomes a real problem is performance, and I'm not sure if that's a design/programming issue or a Java issue for Mojang.

Twig

Banned
Kalnos said:
Adding a Z-axis shouldn't be too problematic in Minecraft because it's a tile based game with tile collisions, he simply added a Z coordinate to his map array. The only area where that becomes a real problem is performance, and I'm not sure if that's a design/programming issue or a Java issue for Mojang.
Could be both. I've never actually looked at the code, but I've heard it's not... the most well-written.

Kalnos said:
Terraria essentially skipped a alpha/beta stage and just called it release. There really isn't any difference and Notch can call Minecraft a beta, but it really seems more of a Google-like beta where it's just a convenient excuse that allows you to define any status you want on the software (Ex: Gmail being in beta 2004-2009). Notch could of just as easily 'released' the game and continued to apply this stuff as content patches.
Terraria had a closed beta, I think, but the game was developed so quickly that it must have been pretty brief.

I agree with you that Minecraft seems more like a Google-like beta, but I still make the distinction from Terraria because 1) it's very clearly labeled as a beta product, so people should understand what they're getting into, and 2) it's being sold at a discount. Yeah, he could release it at any time, and I'll hold him to a higher standard when he does, but he hasn't yet.

Mengy

After scouting out the area for the underground city some more, I've discovered that this mountain range is freaking awesome. I also discovered that Godzilla is building a base in the valley north of the cliff I showed above:

2011-05-28_003727.png

You can just barely make out the wood of his base on the Neocraft map. Godzilla took me around the area a bit, it is very scenic. If we build the entrance where I pictured above, in the cliff face, and then tunnel down and north, we could even build staircase towers up to scenic vistas throughout the mountain ranges from our underground city. It really is a beautiful area. Almost a shame to build a city under it all and hidden away, lol. But that's also kind of awesome in itself.

Twig

Banned
We went into the nether on my server and traveled really far and built a new portal and pretty much killed the server. Chunk errors beyond imagination. U:

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Okay, I briefly scouted out the area where the underground city was proposed, here is a shot of the cliffs facing the ocean:

2011-05-28_001809.png

My initial idea after seeing the area, maybe make the entrance right in the middle of this cliff under the waterfall? Like a huge stone arch opening that leads into a modest hall and at the end will be a large staircase going down to the city. Any opinions?

I fucking LOVE this!!
A huge entrance there incorporating the waterfall would be a real boss.

NotTarts said:
The lava lakes at level 12 are at a constant level, just like the ocean/lakes on the surface (at level 0). The pools at the surface are just placed there randomly by the terrain generator.

Ah ok I see what you mean. Yes indeed.

Ark

Mengy said:
After scouting out the area for the underground city some more, I've discovered that this mountain range is freaking awesome. I also discovered that Godzilla is building a base in the valley north of the cliff I showed above:

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/Mengy/Minecraft%20NeoCraft%20SMP/2011-05-28_003727.png[IMG]

You can just barely make out the wood of his base on the Neocraft map. Godzilla took me around the area a bit, it is very scenic. If we build the entrance where I pictured above, in the cliff face, and then tunnel down and north, we could even build staircase towers up to scenic vistas throughout the mountain ranges from our underground city. It really is a beautiful area. Almost a shame to build a city under it all and hidden away, lol. But that's also kind of awesome in itself.[/QUOTE]

I'm loving this. I'd think the entrance to be something along the scale of size of the Ironforge entrance in WoW:

[img]http://www.worldofwconline.com/gallery/albums/wallpapers/ironforge_wallpaper_1024x.sized.jpg

Mengy

Ark said:
I'm loving this. I'd think the entrance to be something along the scale of size of the Ironforge entrance in WoW:

Very cool. I like this. We can make the towers lookout points to the south, and the waterfall can come down and split into two falls on the inside edges of the towers.

We are going to need a warp point out there though Ark, it is quite a hike from the closest warp point now (the Pyramid).

bengraven

Jasoco said:
"Well, isn't that special?"

Or

"Could it be, hmm.... SATAN?!"

Probably the first.

For the record, it was the first.

Ark said:

ironforge_wallpaper_1024x.sized.jpg

Exactly what I came in to post.

Ark

Mengy said:
We are going to need a warp point out there though Ark, it is quite a hike from the closest warp point now (the Pyramid).

Well of course! I've already made a warp to the Arab city, I'll make a warp to the Dwarven city area when I next get online today.

hey I'm new to this but me and some friends spent hour in this yesterday building crazy stuff. Is this Neocraft server open to anyone on here, and if so what's the IP?

Blizzard

Banned
Notch's Twitter:

If Terraria is our competition, I'm damned proud to compete against it. It's one seriously awesome game. *takes notes of things to copy*
I get the feeling that Terraria provides a less sandbox-y experience than Minecraft, if that's the right word, i.e. specific monsters and map regions and settings remind me somewhat of Nethack from what little I've seen. Some people may prefer an emphasis on battle over construction, and others may prefer pure 3D construction. Of course, I haven't actually played Terraria.

Regardless, and even though I agree that it's unfortunate Minecraft has so many bugs, I think Notch's attitude towards games like Terraria is cool. :)

Twig

Banned
Terraria is not less sandboxy, but it is more actiony.

Minecraft fucking sucks at action, though. It's impossible to tell how far you need to be from an enemy to attack and avoid being attacked. Even when you think you've got it down, lag or whatever will ruin it for you.

But if he can take stuff like the grappling hook, the double jump, the lucky horseshoe... basically, everything that promotes exploration... And dumping more rewards in the game for exploration... It would go far to make the game more fun for everybody.

Grinchy

Banned
Jasoco said:
The more Terraria features get put in Minecraft, the better.
When I go between the two, my most missed item is the grapple hook from Terraria. I'm not necessarily saying it should be put into Minecraft, but I wouldn't be upset if it were.

Jasoco

Banned
ckohler said:
Here's a video about two major updates I've made to my legit, single-player world. One is a new way to quickly climb up I call a "cart ladder" and the other is my new mob trap (based on BioFactory 3) which is just insane. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdudjhSU17U
Forget the cart ladder, that's the coolest mob trap I've ever seen. Such a neat idea. I am going to have to build one. But I don't know what I would use the items for.

Though for some reason the game is running really slow for me now. In single player.

Mengy said:
It's up. You didn't update to 1.6, did you?
Yeah I got it. I'm having weird issues with the client. I did update, downgraded back down, and played for hours today before having some issues. I'll work it out, just a weird error on login I'd never seen before.

Jasoco

Banned
I assume that trap goes all the way to the top of the world. How many levels do you have at the top and how far between them? i.e. How far do the enemies need to fall in order to die on impact? And can we see a closeup of the lava thingy that makes sure enemies are dead without destroying the items?

Top Bottom