• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

ckohler said:
Here's a video about two major updates I've made to my legit, single-player world. One is a new way to quickly climb up I call a "cart ladder" and the other is my new mob trap (based on BioFactory 3) which is just insane. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdudjhSU17U

That trap is awesome, shows me how pathetic and slow mine is (16x16 spawning floor repeated 5 times flushing to 4 grinders on the first floor). I built it to collect string, got maybe 30-40 string total in a few hours.

ckohler

Jasoco said:
I assume that trap goes all the way to the top of the world. How many levels do you have at the top and how far between them? i.e. How far do the enemies need to fall in order to die on impact? And can we see a closeup of the lava thingy that makes sure enemies are dead without destroying the items?
Yes, the top of the trap is on the top level. As the video says, there are 12 spawn floors with two blocks of air between them.

I believe mobs have to fall a minimum of 23 meters (blocks) to die. Mobs can sometimes survive the fall if they bounce off each others heads on the way down, though.

Jasoco

Banned
Qwomo said:
Where can I find more information about this/a download link?
Google for it. It's the first hit for "minecraft earth map".

It's not very usable though. Since it was generated by a program and has hardly any post processing it doesn't feel like a current world.

Snow capped mountains are covered in snow blocks and not dirt or stone with snow. They're also not snow biomes so the weather would never be right up there.

Trees all look the same instead of like they do in MC.

Oceans drop all the way down and don't seem to be the same depth type as the real world. At the bottom of the ocean, which you can't reach because it's too deep, is lava. Which you can see from the surface, but not once you dive under.

Since it's a scaled down world, there are no rivers. So I couldn't recreate my hometown or something because there's no Delaware river. The map is 3GB uncompressed and it's scaled down a lot. Since in this map the scale is that 1 block = 1 mile, it means that going by MC's 1 block = 3 meters thing the map would need to be a LOT bigger (Possibly 50-100GB) in order to be to scale. Think about how long it would take to walk across country.

You get two spawnpoints to choose from. LA and the Sahara. So I'm trying to walk from California to NJ and it's taking a whole day to walk. Imagine if it were 1:1. (They should release one with a Nether-based warp zone to take you to each major region.)

I found a few pumpkins. And flowers are scattered. But it doesn't have everything you'd find in a real MC world.

No caves at all. Sad face.

By the time I reached the East coast, I discovered it was in the middle of a snow biome and the water was icing over. But it was past sundown and I started walking at sunrise. When the sun comes up again I'm going to figure out what state I'm in. Edit: Turns out it's Virginia.

Still sad there's no rivers. I'd kill for a full scale server-based MC server to join. I'd find a nice place in Hawaii and build a home.

Atomski

Grinchy said:
When I go between the two, my most missed item is the grapple hook from Terraria. I'm not necessarily saying it should be put into Minecraft, but I wouldn't be upset if it were.
I want a damned magic mirror so I can port back home when I get super lost. Its so nice in Terraria.

Jasoco

Banned
There are cacti all over New Jersey. lolwut? And the ocean is freezing off the East coast.

Such a shame this isn't 1:1. Even if it was just the US. The lack of rivers and correct mountains is a shame.

Ark

georgc said:
Wow at that mob trap....Ark can i build one in your server?

We don't need anymore mob traps, we already have a reasonably sized one at spawn.

We've already had to shrink the cactus farm because it was causing lag when players were in the chunk.

I can't seem to set netherrack on fire in the 'normal' world on my SMP server. Trying to right-click on it with flint and steel. Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

Ranger X

NihonTiger90 said:
Can't connect to the server this morning either. And I just updated.

The server is not updated but you are. Therefore there's a version mismatch and you can't connect because of that.

bengraven

The Earth map would be awesome in multiplayer, but the admin would need to let us use flyer.jar.

Also, would probably need to edit in some rivers and lakes.

Vlad

Twig said:
YES.

I want this updated (and implemented into Minecraft proper).

I'd rather have a grappling hook similar to this one, myself. Being able to hang off the side of a wall and mine or build would be extremely useful, and it could still be used similar to the other one, too.

Ranger X

Vlad said:
I'd rather have a grappling hook similar to this one, myself. Being able to hang off the side of a wall and mine or build would be extremely useful, and it could still be used similar to the other one, too.

Interesting. I slightly prefer this one too.

Vespene

I built an ironforge type of entrance on my single player world, so if you guys need help with this I'm down to help out. Are you building legit or with bukkit?

Twig

Banned
Vlad said:
That one looks pretty similar, except for the ability to hang. Which looks really, really awkward.

I agree, though. That's what I want. Have you played Terraria? I've only mentioned Terraria's grappling hook fifty times now. It would be perfect, even in 3D.

fresquito

Today it's been my first time in the Nether. It's an interesting place, but I expected something different. Except for Ghasts (or whatever it's spelled), there's nothing hard about it. There're dozens of pig men, but what gives? They are totally peacefull.

Notch should rethink The Nether. I want a place where there's high value and high risk.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, the nether is incredibly easy. I feel safer there than I do in the "real" world at night. Or even during the day, what with creepers not despawning or dying from sunlight.

Ranger X

elrechazao said:
It's 10 dollars, and 7.50 in a 4 pack.

True. Bad memory :p
Still too much a risk for me. Probably a bad XBLA habit of having demos.

... fuck that, every publication on steam should have a demo too. I wish XBLA woud have helped this standard to happen.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:
... fuck that, every publication on steam should have a demo too. I wish XBLA woud have helped this standard to happen.

It would be counterproductive to Valve's rules of giving developers free reign on what they publish.

In my opinion, that could actually kill off some opportunities for indies to have their games published, since they would have to spend some resources in making demos.

Ranger X

Juan29.zapata said:
It would be counterproductive to Valve's rules of giving developers free reign on what they publish.

In my opinion, that could actually kill off some opportunities for indies to have their games published, since they would have to spend some resources in making demos.

I understand this but I don't mind this type of things. Having a mandatory demo would just be another variable that natural selection would play with. A demo would increase the risks a little and at worse would encourage and push people into making better games. As with many things, constraints are often a good thing and pushes people's creativity. Liberty can produce crap and encourage lazyness.
A renting system for digital goods could be smart. But they aren't doing it because they fear it would kill they "full sales" ---- just like with physical goods... where renting doesn't kill them sales. Anyhow, the subject is complex... and off topic :)

BooJoh

Some tidbits from Notch on twitter:
I'm feeling very motivated. Minecraft Beta 1.7 wil be the Adventure Update (or similar). The rumors of Minecraft: Source are false.
http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/74910025411330048
1.7 will take a while, though. First 1.6.6 this week to fix a few more things, then I'm going to E3. Then there are summer vacations..
http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/74910560235429888
But I'll bring my MacBook Air along everwhere and squeeze in coding all over the place. I'll post news and screenshots. =)
http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/74910723964276737

Sounds like 1.7 could be quite a way off, but I like the sound of an "Adventure Update." I'm guessing Terraria may have inspired him in that regard, seeing as the Mojang team has been tweeting about Terraria for a few days now. If he's adding NPCs and events and stuff, this is definitely an update I can get behind.

guest1321

Does anyone know what he means by an adventure update? It sounds like a great idea but I would hope it does not implement goals to achieve, and more so just a benefit to exploring. Either way, the fact that he is talking about getting out 1.7 so soon after 1.6 is very exciting!

Jasoco

Banned
Thats how I see it. Good for them. Competition drives progress, and without the popularity of Minecraft, Terraria probably wouldn't exist so... Let them feed off each other. MC is the 3D game. Terraria the 2D one. Both similar but different.

I wish there were a world generation mode that would just generate a whole world based on your parameters and create all the chunks right then and there that you could then work with. Like how Sim City does it. I'd love to be able to input parameters. Like ocean on 1, 2, 3 or 4 sides. Use some tools to create mountains and beaches. Press a button to populate it with trees and plants. Place a snow biome at the top. Or a volcano instead. Or neither. Then have it so when you venture out past your set world it would then start generating the rest of the world around it.

I'd love a mode where I could just tell it to create an ocean with different sized islands. Each with beaches around the edges and various sized mountains in the middle. And they'd be big. Not tiny, but actually big like maybe 500 blocks wide on the biggest.

I just want an island surrounded by a vast ocean. It sucks that it's all random right now. I think instead of procedurally generating chunks, it should generate large areas and islands all at once. I'm sad I can't replicate an island volcano fortress or the kingdom from Tangled. (With the castle on top of the mountain on the island surrounded by houses all the way up and an awesome bridge from the mainland.)

mcrae

lol you said you want a mountain on an island in the ocean 3 different ways in 3 different paragraphs

anyways cant you make one with mcedit?

Ranger X

guest1321 said:
Does anyone know what he means by an adventure update? It sounds like a great idea but I would hope it does not implement goals to achieve, and more so just a benefit to exploring. Either way, the fact that he is talking about getting out 1.7 so soon after 1.6 is very exciting!

It probably mean the NPC villages he was talking about before, amongst other things.

Hm, good to hear that the adventure stuff is still in the works. I was starting to think that they were going to lock down the major gameplay stuff and just iron out bugs until the release date this fall, and then do some of the more ambitious stuff as expansions later on.

Jasoco said:
I wish there were a world generation mode that would just generate a whole world based on your parameters and create all the chunks right then and there that you could then work with. Like how Sim City does it. I'd love to be able to input parameters. Like ocean on 1, 2, 3 or 4 sides. Use some tools to create mountains and beaches. Press a button to populate it with trees and plants. Place a snow biome at the top. Or a volcano instead. Or neither. Then have it so when you venture out past your set world it would then start generating the rest of the world around it.
That would be awesome, and it doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to do. Just open up some of the parameters to the terrain algorithm to be user-adjustable. Maybe there's more to it than that, but I think some of the mods do that kind of thing already.

guest1321 said:
Can someone explain what exactly the NPC villages are? Or what we are expecting them to be lol
From what I remember, he talked about having monster villages spawn randomly, which would then spawn monsters that would attack your base. Then you could track them back to find the village, and destroy it to stop them from spawning and get some loot. I can't remember if there were going to be friendly NPC villages also, or if that was something else (a mod, maybe?).

I messed around with the MCEdit program and ran into a problem. I selected parts of the map I no longer wanted so they could regenerate and deleted the chunks. When I went into Minecraft they were empty chunks that wouldn't regenerate. I kept a backup of course. Anyone know what I did wrong?

Jasoco

Banned
callmedave said:
I messed around with the MCEdit program and ran into a problem. I selected parts of the map I no longer wanted so they could regenerate and deleted the chunks. When I went into Minecraft they were empty chunks that wouldn't regenerate. I kept a backup of course. Anyone know what I did wrong?
MCEdit doesn't delete chunks. It just blanks them out. So the game won't regenerate them because as far as it's concerned, you dug all that out yourself.

MCEdit sucks for me. I can't make head nor tails of it and it's slower than moles asses in winter. It doesn't let you fine tune close enough and has a horribly clunky UI.

I would love to create an ocean world then build an island using SimCity style raise/lower tools. Then press a button that would automatically add trees, vegetation and caves and other environmental elements like minerals to my template.

Mojang should release an official world editor that works well and offers Sim City style editing features like that. Even if these custom worlds are a secondary ocean world mode that doesn't offer infinite generation and instead ends at the edges, but is big enough to be a vast enough ocean. That Earth world proved that MC can handle a huge world. The ones I'd want to make wouldn't be anywhere near that big. As long as we can also chose where each biome should fall too. So I can have snow on mountain tops only and desert only if I need it.

Vespene

Well for the Adventure update he always said he'd add quests and "troll" settlements where you can get the quests from. This is definitely a welcome update since Minecraft can feel so desolate. I just hope the towns are few and far between.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Jasoco said:
MCEdit doesn't delete chunks. It just blanks them out. So the game won't regenerate them because as far as it's concerned, you dug all that out yourself.

Selecting and deleting (by pressing del) will just remove the chunks.

To actually make the game re-generate those chucks, the process is a little different.
Instead of selecting what you DON'T want anymore in the map, select what you want to stay there (like, the area that has your constructions) and press the rightmost button, chunk proprieties or something. One of the options will be "Purge the World", meaning that only the parts you selected will remain, and everything else will be purged from the save.

Minecraft will, then, repopulate these areas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
georgc said:
Where is the mob grinder at on arks server? Also anywhere to get health without needing to hunt and fish?

There's a highly rated seafood restaurant near the entrance to the mine in Booty Bay. Try the gumbo.

GT Vespene said:
Well for the Adventure update he always said he'd add quests and "troll" settlements where you can get the quests from. This is definitely a welcome update since Minecraft can feel so desolate. I just hope the towns are few and far between.

Honestly, a quest mode would be mind blowing... like, people ask you to build things for them, even. And of course, the current mode would remain intact.

Mirk

Well tonight we got most the dwarven city dug out :D

2z8rrf8.jpg

2mrguhz.jpg

looks awesome. is there any way i can get back on 1.5 cause i've gone and updated thinking that the server would be upgraded and i really wanna take part in this one!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mirk said:
Well tonight we got most the dwarven city dug out :D

Man, you guys got a lot done since I was on last. I was just down there, and there are slimes all over the place. And a few monsters too, they are falling from unit blocks in the ceiling. I'm going to start cleaning the ceiling up and making it safe so our town doesn't get monsters dropping on it from above, lol.

I think we need to call the town Slime Haven or something like that. And have a community shrine to slimes, with a chest where we can put all of the slime balls into...

Top Bottom