• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

georgc said:
Where is the mob grinder at on arks server? Also anywhere to get health without needing to hunt and fish?

From spawn, there's a wooden station before you. On the other side of that station, spot a tall building with sandstone collumns on your left.

Salaadin

Just downloaded the newest minecraft_server.exe and get this error on startup:

[SEVERE] Unexpected exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at dn.c(SourceFile:81)
at dh.a(SourceFile:1848)
at hf.d(SourceFile:471)
at hb.c(SourceFile:75)
at hb.b(SourceFile:96)
at dh.c(SourceFile:329)
at dh.a(SourceFile:286)
at dh.e(SourceFile:290)
at dh.a(SourceFile:227)
at ok.a(SourceFile:51)
at dh.c(SourceFile:202)
at dh.<init>(SourceFile:179)
at dn.<init>(SourceFile:34)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(SourceFile:201)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.c(SourceFile:162)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:284)
at bo.run(SourceFile:422)
Any ideas?

Mirk

randomwab said:
Why didn't you post a picture of the sign. Ahahaha

Cuz Juju is an ass :p

guest1321

Hey so I know it is a little late to suggest community projects (or early depending on how you see it), but I recently watched a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End. The intro seen has a bunch of little hut like buildings sitting on stilts above the water. It would be cool to maybe do something like that eventually as a community project. Food for thought

bengraven

Who loves cock? :p

Man, seeing Adventure Mode added in makes me happy. But please, please let us have villages in regular Survival mode too. :(

Jasoco

Banned
guest1321 said:
Hey so I know it is a little late to suggest community projects (or early depending on how you see it), but I recently watched a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End. The intro seen has a bunch of little hut like buildings sitting on stilts above the water. It would be cool to maybe do something like that eventually as a community project. Food for thought
Another reason I'd want an ocean world with small and large islands. Instead of the current random static method of generating a sort of splotchy "random cloud" world then adding little ponds and stuff afterwards, just create a neat ocean with the water from 48 to 64 block depth then place islands in it. And as you expand just create islands.

Dear Notch and crew: Please give us Ocean Generation Mode so we can create island paradises. Thanks.

Ranger X

guest1321 said:

What you describe there is similar to Booty Bay. You should take a look and maybe build a settlement there :)

bengraven

Booty Bay having "sister" cities would be cool.

But ONLY if we got some decent boats in the game. Or at least boats that don't break into 3 planks and some sticks when you want to put them back in your inventory.

guest1321

Ranger X said:
What you describe there is similar to Booty Bay. You should take a look and maybe build a settlement there :)
I had a little segment written up about how it might be too similar to booty bay, but then I decided to delete it from the post and let people take it and run.

I actually do have a settlement in BootyBay (Chrismeier02 in game)

Where my idea for a village would differ from booty bay would be that the community would be entirely on stilts and more of an ocean community, rather than a seaside village. Keep in mind that given that we have two projects going right now, Moria and Al-Jazira (hopefully i didn't botch that one), which will be followed by a Nether project and possibly a sky city, it would be quite a while before this would even get started. So given the time period it may be enough time that it would not feel like a continuation of Booty Bay, or boring because we feel restricted to a wooden theme.

animlboogy said:
So now that Notch has made it clear he's pretty inspired by Terraria, hopefully we'll see more content in that vein? More "game-y" stuff?

I wonder if I'll end up preferring Survival to Adventure in the end. That's the thing that worries me. In Terraria it works, but something I can't exactly describe tells me that it might not be as smooth to apply similar features in Minecraft.
I agree with you on that one. I think it would be really interesting to see what would happen in a Minecraft adventure mode, but at the same time I really feel that the sandbox aspect is it's strongest and most unique quality. If it is muddied by different styles do you think that will take away from it being so unique?

Now I'm confused about the adventure stuff.

Is it going to be more content (like NPC villages or a basic quest system) added on to the current survival mode?

Or is it going to be a separate mode entirely, like the speculated one where you could construct adventure maps for other players to play through?

guest1321

animlboogy said:
Either way, I'd rather have Minecraft fail with an optional mode than to stop moving forward. I'm very excited to see the Mojang take on adventuring even if I go back to standard survival.

Same boat. I am really looking forward to it. I have my concerns; however, that doesn't stop me from being optimistic. A step forward isn't always a step in the right direction, but I would take learning from a mistake than not knowing at all.

guest1321

Ark said:
What happened to everyone? :(

We went from having like 10 people on all the time to having like 5 people on :(

First week of summer for 1/2 of american college students, finals for the others... and I don't currently have a mouse?... *uses slow speech as if surprised*

Grinchy

Banned
I recently got a new videocard and I've been playing a lot of TF2, CSS, The Witcher, ect...

Everytime I see this thread bumped I wonder why I've forgotten to play the game lol. In June, I have a week or 2 off before summer quarter begins in school though. The underground area is looking very awesome already. I hope I can get in there in time to help carve it out.

Ranger X

animlboogy said:
I guess the thing I'm fearing the most is that the Adventure content will end up being too MMO-lite. More KILL TEN GNOMES than something that goes along with the open, evolving feel of playing Survival as we know it.

Also, when I imagine something like the goblin invasions from Terraria happening in Minecraft, I imagine them being more annoying than epic. Terraria is simplistic, but the battling feels very tight. In Minecraft, everything is far too loose and unpolished for something like that to be fun.

Either way, I'd rather have Minecraft fail with an optional mode than to stop moving forward. I'm very excited to see the Mojang take on adventuring even if I go back to standard survival.

Only thing I'd fear is Minecraft to quit Sandbox genre into something more traditionnal. I really hope Notch doesn't do it under peers or fans pressure. That really would be stupid of him. So yeah, he can add anything imo, as long as it's in a sandbox way --- wich so far he could keep.

rohlfinator said:

Is it going to be more content (like NPC villages or a basic quest system) added on to the current survival mode?

Or is it going to be a separate mode entirely, like the speculated one where you could construct adventure maps for other players to play through?

Nobody knows. He just made a tweet saying it was what he wanted the theme of 1.7 to be. Could be a standalone zeldacraft mode, could add MMO features, or it could just be random objects/locations akin to the current monster spawners that occur in survival mode.

Ark

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The server for me wasnt working. Tells me it's outdated or something.

Yeah the server is still running 1.5, we can't update to 1.6 until Multiplay & Bukkit update all the mods.

By the way guys, don't build on the centre platform. The idea is to build in the walls on the outer circle.

Sorry if this keeps getting asked, but where do you find the address for the NeoCraft server? It's not in the OP. Think I'm about ready to jump back into Minecraft for a change.

Toki1776

Neocraft is in the OP under Ponycraft, for some reason. Anyway, here's the address:
(quote to view)
And remember, we're still running 1.5, so if you've updated, you'll need to roll back your client to connect!

bengraven

rohlfinator said:

He's going to make it very RPGish:

Randomized towns.
Potions.
Dragons.

Unfortunately you won't be able to build/destroy blocks in this mode.

guest1321

I just started building my place and I already have a couple of neighbors! This server never ceases to amaze me! I didn't get on enough to be a significant contributor to mining out Moria, but thank you to those who did! It looks spectacular and is only going to become more wild as time goes on!

Ranger X

bengraven said:

Randomized towns.
Potions.
Dragons.

However, if it's really the adventure MODE, and not "adding adventure elements" this could really get interesting. I would be all for a new mode of play. In that adventure mode we were supposed to create maps and quests and then exchange them. You cannot edit another people's world but that's what makes it interesting.

Toki1776 said:
Neocraft is in the OP under Ponycraft, for some reason. Anyway, here's the address:
(quote to view)
And remember, we're still running 1.5, so if you've updated, you'll need to roll back your client to connect!
Yeah that's why. Might want someone to change the OP then. Thanks though

mcrae

bengraven said:

Randomized towns.
Potions.
Dragons.

wbbwhahawhw whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Ark

Bradlums said:
How did y'all get the cave dug out so quickly? TNT?

Lots and lots and LOTS of TNT.

Ranger X said:
So we build on the outer ring? There's enough place there? the lava lake looks huuuuuuge in those screens ;)

Basically. I'm not actually sure there'll be enough space, but we'll see I guess.

bengraven

Port is dope. ^^^^

Ranger X said:
Inform yourself my dear friend.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Adventure

And bookmark Minepedia man, all the info is there and it's always uploaded the second it happens.

You know, if he just added the dungeons and and RPG mobs/NPCs - basically everything RPGish to Survival mode, it would be my favorite game ever. Like, ever.

Like as in, I could sell my Steam account and play only Minecraft for the rest of my life.

2Crisis

mcrae said:
wbbwhahawhw whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

So it sounds like he is just making a copy of the Adventurer mode from Dwarf Fortress, instead of making it like Terraria.

Could be cool, but still disappointing.

BooJoh

bengraven said:

Randomized towns.
Potions.
Dragons.

If it's like that, and not just more options in Survival, then I'm not sure how much I'd like it. At least not with the current save system. If I could play through an adventure level and then bring the stuff I find back to my Survival world then it would be awesome, but I'm not sure I'm interested in Minecraft as a straight-up FPS, which is basically what it would be without the building/digging.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Port is dope. ^^^^

You know, if he just added the dungeons and and RPG mobs/NPCs - basically everything RPGish to Survival mode, it would be my favorite game ever. Like, ever.

Like as in, I could sell my Steam account and play only Minecraft for the rest of my life.

haha niice :)
But having different modes is cool to me. A more linear adventure mode and whatnot on the side of an ever improving sandbox mode = endless erection.

Vespene

Well... having official support for NPCs coupled with a flexible quest string system would make this the greatest RPG creator of all time. Of course, something has to be done about how horrid combat mechanics are in the game, but I don't think Minecraft is about fighting. Maybe the quests should be abound building, digging and discovering rather than killing. It should be built around the game's strengths.

Example: NPCs say "find my missing amulet, its somewhere below the sand from the tallest cactus in the desert near us."

mcrae

i read a bit about the different modes and how notch described his vision as seeing people make things in creative/survival mode and then publish them as challenges for people to complete/enjoy in adventure mode... seems cool

bengraven

Ranger X said:
haha niice :)
But having different modes is cool to me. A more linear adventure mode and whatnot on the side of an ever improving sandbox mode = endless erection.

I really really hope Notch wasn't fucking with us when he said long ago that all the "DLC" and "Expansion packs" that he ever releases will be free to those who bought the game.

And in fact, keeps updating the game, even to the point where it's reached oversaturation and he puts it in the public domain (something else he's said he wants to do).

This game can never be perfect: you can keep adding anything and it would get better.

BooJoh said:
If it's like that, and not just more options in Survival, then I'm not sure how much I'd like it. At least not with the current save system. If I could play through an adventure level and then bring the stuff I find back to my Survival world then it would be awesome, but I'm not sure I'm interested in Minecraft as a straight-up FPS, which is basically what it would be without the building/digging.

There are already people doing stuff like this, creating adventure maps with loot and such. This is one of the things I'm excited about as well: sharing adventure maps.

Ark said:
What happened to everyone? :(

We went from having like 10 people on all the time to having like 5 people on :(

Post-patch lag.

Also, my friend has AIDS and has moved in with us for the time being until he can get financial assistance. I haven't been able to game much at all (Hello $50 copy of Witcher 2 I bought 6 months ago and put only 30 minutes into).

Ranger X

bengraven said:
This game can never be perfect: you can keep adding anything and it would get better.

Exactly. As I always say, real life is in theory a huge sandbox. A sandbox game can theorically evolve forever!

Top Bottom