• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Toki1776

Great fun and many deaths (for me) in the underground city tonight. We wanted to spice up the entrance, so we made a lava arch:

YFs9y.jpg

However, Mirk and I kept adding on to it, and eventually molded it into some sort of skull-like shape:

GGgRc.png

Twig

Banned
bengraven said:
He's going to make it very RPGish:

Randomized towns.
Potions.
Dragons.

Unfortunately you won't be able to build/destroy blocks in this mode.
Hopefully he reneges on the last bit.

Actually, I'd rather he just dump more "adventure" stuff into the core game. Maybe there could be a separate mode, too, for people to share their own designed adventures. That'd be swell, of course. But I want the core game beefed up, too, with all kinds of cool items and NPCs and whatnot.

I am clearly a broken record a this point, though. O:

ckohler

I don't mind if they add Adventure tasks into the core game as long as purely creative players like me aren't required to do them.

Ark

Ranger X said:
Ark, can you repost your donation button pls?

EDIT:

You know what I would love for Moria to have? If we made a long hall and called it the 'Hall of Kings'. We could put a bunch of tombs and stuff in there. Although I'm not so sure where we would build that now that most of the outer ring is filled with houses.

BooJoh

1.6.6:

+ Added a new use for bonemeal
* Changed the material of glowstone from “glass” to “stone”. This means you need a pickaxe to get resources from it
* Made glowstone drop more loot
* Made the recipe sizes for creating cloth blocks and glowstone blocks smaller (2x2 instead of 3x3)
* Re-introduced unlimited FPS, renamed the option again
* Fixed beds not working very well at all in SMP
* Fixed destroying a boat spawning the player too low, causing them to sometimes fall through the ground
* Boats float up to the surface quicker
* Boats falling down into water lose their vertical momentum very fast
* Removed Herobrine
I'm pleasantly surprised at the glowstone changes. Should make the stuff far more useful.

I wonder what the bonemeal use is... I kind of hope it has to do with growing bushes, but who knows.

rezuth

BooJoh said:
I'm pleasantly surprised at the glowstone changes. Should make the stuff far more useful.

I wonder what the bonemeal use is... I kind of hope it has to do with growing bushes, but who knows.
Hahaha "Removed Herobrine"

BooJoh

Oh wow, just tested... 1 bonemeal used on the ground grows an entire patch of bushes and flowers. Really happy about that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
BooJoh said:

Those glowstone changes are sweet indeed. And yeah, I wonder what the new bonemeal use is? I can't look at the official minecraft forums here at work, so if anyone finds out the new use please post it here.

And on another note, the underground city in Neocraft really progressed super fast this weekend. Spuit and I started the surface gateway Friday night, and in just one weekend the huge cavern is dug out, a lava moat is in place, bridges are built, and homes are being constructed. Sometimes it still amazes me how fast projects like this progress on a multiplayer server. I thought this would take longer than it did, lol.

Mengy

BooJoh said:
Oh wow, just tested... 1 bonemeal used on the ground grows an entire patch of bushes and flowers. Really happy about that.

WAIT, it grows bushes and flowers? Really? We don't have to go hunting across miles and miles of countryside just to collect yellow and red flowers for dyes anymore?

God bless you Notch. God bless you. I may cry....

Ranger X

Ark said:
EDIT:

You know what I would love for Moria to have? If we made a long hall and called it the 'Hall of Kings'. We could put a bunch of tombs and stuff in there. Although I'm not so sure where we would build that now that most of the outer ring is filled with houses.

Actually we could have a ladder from the middle of the lake that would lead to a tomb in the ceiling!
( I sent another 5$ CAN your way)

webrunner

Mengy said:
WAIT, it grows bushes and flowers? Really? We don't have to go hunting across miles and miles of countryside just to collect yellow and red flowers for dyes anymore?

So, to recap:
Skeletons -> bones -> bone meal -> flowers -> red
Skeletons -> bones -> bone meal -> flowers -> yellow
cactus -> green
skeletons -> bones -> bone meal -> white

red+yellow->orange
red+white->pink
green+white->lime

are replenishable

lapis lazuil -> blue
cocoa beans -> brown

are spawned on generation and therefore aren't replenishable

And i heard that squids don't respawn, right? So
squid->ink sack->black is also not replenishable

green+blue->cyan
red+blue->purple
white+black->grey
blue+white->light blue
purple+pink->magenta
white+grey->light grey
use non-replenishable stuff so it's also not replenishable.

Ark

Ranger X said:
Actually we could have a ladder from the middle of the lake that would lead to a tomb in the ceiling!
( I sent another 5$ CAN your way)

A 5$ CAN? We need money! Not cans! :p The server thanks you for the donation :)

A ladder?! These are great dwarves! I was thinking we could make the tunnel to the hall on the opposite side of the current entrance, where all the chests are in the cavern, by the stairs.

bengraven

Mengy said:

Oh Jesus, you know how long I've been farming red flowers on the server? :(

Ranger X

webrunner said:
So, to recap:
cactus -> green

red+yellow->orange
red+white->pink
green+white->lime

are replenishable

lapis lazuil -> blue
cocoa beans -> brown

green+blue->cyan
red+blue->purple
white+black->grey
blue+white->light blue
purple+pink->magenta
white+grey->light grey

Simple reference:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Mengy

Ark said:

I think a great hall is a fantastic idea. However, having a ladder in the center ring up to a Great Hall that is out of the way and that no one needs to ever go to is kind of underwhelming. What we need is a Great Hall that leads INTO the main ring. If we are going to build a great hall then it needs to go in between the main staircase and the lava ring, IMHO.

Of course, this would take some redesign, but nothing too hard. In order to give the hall some length we would need to redo the main stairs so that instead of spiralling straight down they extend south from the first stair landing and away from the ring. Maybe even create a leveled out (flat) minor hall about halfway down from the surface just to extend south a bit before staircasing down again, but this time into a great hall that would then lead right to the living ring and main bridge over the lava moat.

Just an idea.

Ark

Mengy said:
I think a great hall is a fantastic idea. However, having a ladder in the center ring up to a Great Hall that is out of the way and that no one needs to ever go to is kind of underwhelming. What we need is a Great Hall that leads INTO the main ring. If we are going to build a great hall then it needs to go in between the main staircase and the lava ring, IMHO.

Of course, this would take some redesign, but nothing too hard. In order to give the hall some length we would need to redo the main stairs so that instead of spiralling straight down they extend south from the first stair landing and away from the ring. Maybe even create a leveled out (flat) minor hall about halfway down from the surface just to extend south a bit before staircasing down again, but this time into a great hall that would then lead right to the living ring and main bridge over the lava moat.

Just an idea.

I did have this idea the other day, the only problem, is that you're house is where I had envisioned building the corridor to the great hall haha.

EDIT: Re-designing the stairs sounds fine actually, it would make them far more interesting than they are now. We need a length for the hall though, something in my head is saying 64 blocks, but I'm not sure that's long enough. But who knows.

Concept17

Soooo I've been playing Terraria and loving it, but I know I'll likely run out of content before too long, or before any major updates, so I was thinking about jumping into this.

Do most of you play the normal survivor mode or are you guys making all this stuff out of the free creative version? Also, does it work well with 4 or more players in survivor?

Vlad

Concept17 said:
Soooo I've been playing Terraria and loving it, but I know I'll likely run out of content before too long, or before any major updates, so I was thinking about jumping into this.

I haven't played Terraria at all, but to answer your questions:

Do most of you play the normal survivor mode or are you guys making all this stuff out of the free creative version?

I don't think anybody in this thread's playing on the free version. At this point, they're almost entirely different games.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that different servers are going to handle resources differently. Some servers will require players to harvest every resource for themselves, while the admins on others will spawn whatever the players need.

Also, does it work well with 4 or more players in survivor?

If anything, it works better with more players. The worlds in Minecraft are nearly infinite in size, so if you end up hanging out even a little bit in the boonies, it's very likely that you'll never even see another player.

Mengy

webrunner said:
So, to recap:
cactus -> green

red+yellow->orange
red+white->pink
green+white->lime

are replenishable

lapis lazuil -> blue
cocoa beans -> brown

green+blue->cyan
red+blue->purple
white+black->grey
blue+white->light blue
purple+pink->magenta
white+grey->light grey

That's the gist of it, except for the fact that black, gray, and light gray are all also found on sheep. Pink too, but it's so rare that we can effectively not count it. So the sheep wools are replenishable with a bit of sheep slaughter, but not easy to collect quickly.

And lapis is not too hard to get with any amount of branch mining or deep spelunking.

Brown is far and away the hardest to get. FAR and away. There really needs to be another or better way to get brown dye. It would be fantastic if cocoa beans could be farmed. That would make getting the initial seed a challenge, but once you had one you could grow it into as much as you needed. Anything other than a random dungeon item for one lousy bean.

webrunner

Mengy said:
That's the gist of it, except for the fact that black, gray, and light gray are all also found on sheep. Pink too, but it's so rare that we can effectively not count it. So the sheep wools are replenishable with a bit of sheep slaughter, but not easy to collect quickly.

And lapis is not too hard to get with any amount of branch mining or deep spelunking.

Brown is far and away the hardest to get. FAR and away. There really needs to be another or better way to get brown dye. It would be fantastic if cocoa beans could be farmed. That would make getting the initial seed a challenge, but once you had one you could grow it into as much as you needed. Anything other than a random dungeon item for one lousy bean.

Lapis is a lot harder to get in an existing world, though. The point is that eventually you have to travel for it.

And black/white/grey/, you can't get the dye BACk, so if you need to use it for a different color mix, you need the actual dye.

Ranger X

Mengy said:

Just an idea.

The entrance hall of Moria looks like a tomb already. There's even a dead person there already. lol

Why not transform this into our "Great Hall" as you call it?

Concept17

Vlad said:
I haven't played Terraria at all, but to answer your questions:

I don't think anybody in this thread's playing on the free version. At this point, they're almost entirely different games.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that different servers are going to handle resources differently. Some servers will require players to harvest every resource for themselves, while the admins on others will spawn whatever the players need.

If anything, it works better with more players. The worlds in Minecraft are nearly infinite in size, so if you end up hanging out even a little bit in the boonies, it's very likely that you'll never even see another player.

Thanks. As for more players - is it worthwhile to have everyone working and mining together in the same place or is it better to just have everyone doing their own thing?

Ark

Ranger X said:
The entrance hall of Moria looks like a tomb already. There's even a dead person there already. lol

Why not transform this into our "Great Hall" as you call it?

We can't do that, that's the entrance...

The Great Hall is supposed to lead on to the huge circular room.

Mengy

Ark said:
We can't do that, that's the entrance...

The Great Hall is supposed to lead on to the huge circular room.

Also, when Spuit and I started digging it out, we learned that the back of the entrance hall is already real close to the other side of the mountain. If we go much farther back we will break out right under Godzilla's hanging wood base in the valley back there.

Vlad

Concept17 said:
Thanks. As for more players - is it worthwhile to have everyone working and mining together in the same place or is it better to just have everyone doing their own thing?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. The materials are scattered so randomly about (certain materials are only found at certain depth ranges, though), and as far as building goes, it's pretty much what you'd expect. You'll get large projects done a lot faster with a bunch of people collaborating, but if everybody's doing their own thing, there's going to be smaller constructions springing up faster.

Toki1776

webrunner said:
So, to recap:
cactus -> green

red+yellow->orange
red+white->pink
green+white->lime

are replenishable

lapis lazuil -> blue
cocoa beans -> brown

green+blue->cyan
red+blue->purple
white+black->grey
blue+white->light blue
purple+pink->magenta
white+grey->light grey

I am quite positive that squids respawn, so ink is a renewable resource.

So, I'm trying to find a new texture pack. I've gone through a few, but none that really stick, because they always make 2/3 of the blocks look good/alright, but then a few of them I just hate.

I think basically what I'm looking for is one that's really similar to the default texture, but with a few changes. Most important would be less headache inducing cobble, and glass that I can actually see through with less annoying specks in them. Anyone have any good suggestions?

2Crisis

EskimoJoe said:
So, I'm trying to find a new texture pack. I've gone through a few, but none that really stick, because they always make 2/3 of the blocks look good/alright, but then a few of them I just hate.

I think basically what I'm looking for is one that's really similar to the default texture, but with a few changes. Most important would be less headache inducing cobble, and glass that I can actually see through with less annoying specks in them. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Try painterly pack, see if you like it.

http://painterlypack.net/

Jasoco

Banned
I love Painterly. It looks nice and is completely customizable with multiple versions of most tiles to choose from and is updated a lot.

I just wish it had a 32px version. But the 16px looks great.

Cobblestone as castle bricks looks so much nicer. And it has multiple biome color types for grass and trees to choose from. The colors I use currently give many areas a more autumn-y look.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EskimoJoe said:

Minecraft4kids 4ever

Twig

Banned
EskimoJoe said:

Jolicraft is the best. :3

http://www.jolicraft.com/

Although, to be honest, the glass is worse than the default glass if you just want to see through it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Bukkit updated to 1.6.6 today.

Toki1776

Sweet! Well, once Ark sees this, Neocraft will be running 1.6, finally.
Actually, that's pretty quick turnaround for Bukkit.

Crap I lost the server IP checking out another server. I don't think it's in the OP so can someone post me it (where I have to quote to view it obviously).

Edit: Nevermind I found it.

Mengy

Ark said:
The server is updated!

Rejoice!

Sweet! Does that mean the Nether Village is our next project? Man, I'm not even done with my house in the underground city. And I haven't even started anything at Al-Medina yet. And it's not like I'm done at Booty Bay either. Clearly I need to fit more playing time into my schedule...

Whoever is first into the nether, post pics please. It will be curious to see how our nether looks.

Top Bottom