• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Angry Fork

I'm interested about getting into this game but is there a way to play this without having to get your own resources/supplies etc. in game? How exactly do you get that anyway? It seems like the allure to this game is that it's like lego's but the fun of lego's is that you have all the blocks and you're able to pick what you want, but if you had to work to get more lego's that would kind of suck. I want to build without worrying about dying or my building going down or something, just build freely with infinite blocks/resources. For example I always cheated on the Sims and did the infinite money code because I loved building the house to whatever you wanted but I didn't want to live the life and earn money so slowly.

Vlad

Angry Fork said:
I'm interested about getting into this game but is there a way to play this without having to get your own resources/supplies etc. in game? How exactly do you get that anyway? It seems like the allure to this game is that it's like lego's but the fun of lego's is that you have all the blocks and you're able to pick what you want, but if you had to work to get more lego's that would kind of suck. I want to build without worrying about dying or my building going down or something, just build freely with infinite blocks/resources. For example I always cheated on the Sims and did the infinite money code because I loved building the house to whatever you wanted but I didn't want to live the life and earn money so slowly.

Without modifying the game, there isn't any way to just get unlimited resources easily. There is, however, a modification called TooManyItems that you can install to add whatever you want into your inventory.

That said, though, having to scrounge for the materials yourself is, in my opinion, half the fun. It's all the more satisfying to see your finished project when you know that you've gathered all the materials by hand.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Angry Fork said:
I'm interested about getting into this game but is there a way to play this without having to get your own resources/supplies etc. in game? How exactly do you get that anyway? It seems like the allure to this game is that it's like lego's but the fun of lego's is that you have all the blocks and you're able to pick what you want, but if you had to work to get more lego's that would kind of suck. I want to build without worrying about dying or my building going down or something, just build freely with infinite blocks/resources.

You can use cheats to give yourself whatever you want to build with, and lots of people play the game that way. In my opinion, most of the fun of Minecraft is in getting the materials legitly. That sandstone sphinx looks so much better when you've made several quarries and mined the stone yourself, and used dirt blocks to build scaffolding to make it 40 blocks high. And fallen to your death a few times as creepers spawned above you and knocked you off your scaffolding. To me, the fun in Minecraft is the journey in building stuff, not only the building process itself.

But yeah, with a few other mods and programs you can play that way.

Ark

Mengy said:
Sweet! Does that mean the Nether Village is our next project? Man, I'm not even done with my house in the underground city. And I haven't even started anything at Al-Medina yet. And it's not like I'm done at Booty Bay either. Clearly I need to fit more playing time into my schedule...

Whoever is first into the nether, post pics please. It will be curious to see how our nether looks.

A nether town wont be an official project for some time.

I have a very interesting idea for community project #4. For now, Moria & Al-Medina are our current projects. Moria still need a shit tonne of work, especially if we're going to add the Great Hall.

Ark

Just a heads up to everyone on NeoCraft:

I reloaded the plugins from in-game, and it seems to have deleted everyones /sethome locations. So make sure you re-set your /home /sethome before heading out into the Nether and such.

I'm also linking the dynamic server map so people still know it exists. It gets updated regularly by Toki. On that note; I should really work out how to do it myself.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Ark said:

I reloaded the plugins from in-game, and it seems to have deleted everyones /sethome locations. So make sure you re-set your /home /sethome before heading out into the Nether and such.

I'm also linking the dynamic server map so people still know it exists. It gets updated regularly by Toki. On that note; I should really work out how to do it myself.

Yay, I can play from home again!

Sai-kun

Banned
Hey Ark, I don't know how much trouble it would be, but do you think we could make a warp point for my slightly-abandoned skyland home?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So finally after reading about this game for months I bought it..

Uhhh, it's barely even playable on my Macbook Pro.

2gigs RAM
256mb x1600
2.33ghz c2d
osx 10.5

I should be getting more than 10 frames a second, right?
Gonna boot into my windows partition and try it there, but I'm extremely concerned with the performance I got.

Jasoco

Banned
Well, it's not the processor. Probably not the video card. So it's either the OS (Why you still on Leopard? Snow Leopard is the easiest upgrade ever and costs $30. And the RAM is so low. Upgrade that shit! RAM is cheap too!

It may also just be the update, but I don't get 10FPS. I have a MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and Snow Leopard and an SSD. The SSD helps with loading and saving of chunk data. The RAM helps with resources.

Ark said:

I can see my tower on there, sweet! Thanks for the heads up about /sethome.

Sanic

Jtwo said:

2gigs RAM
256mb x1600
2.33ghz c2d
osx 10.5

Gonna boot into my windows partition and try it there, but I'm extremely concerned with the performance I got.

10 fps sounds a bit extreme, but based on my experience I wouldn't be surprised if you had an inconsistent framerate somewhere in the 30fps ballpark with that build. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Xun

Jtwo said:

2gigs RAM
256mb x1600
2.33ghz c2d
osx 10.5

The OSX version is messed up.

On my 8 core Mac Pro it's not as good as you'd think.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its not much better under windows7, its kinda smooth for like 3 seconds but it hiccups every couple seconds. Nearly everytime I move the mouse.

This is outrageous, I played portal2 on this same computer and it was awesome.
What do I do? I've already played around with every setting available. Its completely unplayable in its current state.

To be clear, I've moved onto windows now. Any performance tweaks for that version? They didn't even offer a demo to make sure it ran well. The classic version ran fine in the browser so I bought. I'm really angry, I've never had this happen before.

bengraven

Portal map is helpful since the portals are seemingly random.

I entered my portal @ -253, 0, -717

I entered the nether, looked around, carved a bit. Then re-entered the way I came.

I appeared south of spawn @ -674, 0, -241

Ranger X

Angry Fork said:

You see, that's what happen for many people when they look at Minecraft from outside. They see people build stuff and talk about it, they think it's a building game. It's not really a building game. It's much more than that. The point of Minecraft is discovery, exploration and then expression. At first you're thrown into a world, you must experiment with everything and get to know it. When you survive and master the different aspects and things you can do in the world (exploring, mining, crafting, farming, spelunking,building,etc) you can then express yourself more. Well, not that it have to happen like that but for most people it's like that. 'cause after all, Minecraft is a pure sandbox game therefore a game where your goal is to create yourself goals.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so under Windows7 the *framerate* is fine, but it hiccups every other second. It's like playing an online game with terrible lag. Do I just need to let it sit and load for 15 minutes? I notice that things are still popping in even after playing around for a few minutes.

This is awful. I expected it to be kinda janky since it's technically still in beta and all that, but I can't even play it. It was like 22bucks, too.

Should I download a different version? Where can I do that at?

Trasher

Anyone knowledgeable with setting up a multiplayer server? Me and my roommate were able to get one running fine back a number of patches ago, but ever since about a month or two ago we haven't been able to get me to connect to it. He runs the server on his computer, and we both use the same wireless router to connect to the internet. The server obviously runs fine for him, but for whatever reason I can't connect. Any thoughts?

Sanic

Jtwo said:
Ok, so under Windows7 the *framerate* is fine, but it hiccups every other second. It's like playing an online game with terrible lag. Do I just need to let it sit and load for 15 minutes? I notice that things are still popping in even after playing around for a few minutes.

This is awful. I expected it to be kinda janky since it's technically still in beta and all that, but I can't even play it. It was like 22bucks, too.

I'm not sure if you just have a lower tolerance level than I do, but it really shouldn't be that bad. I played the game for almost a month on a machine with 512MB of ram. But to answer your question, no, there isn't a different version you can get from the website. You can probably find the files for older versions online and throw them into your MC directory, however.

Trasher said:
Anyone knowledgeable with setting up a multiplayer server? Me and my roommate were able to get one running fine back a number of patches ago, but ever since about a month or two ago we haven't been able to get me to connect to it. He runs the server on his computer, and we both use the same wireless router to connect to the internet. The server obviously runs fine for him, but for whatever reason I can't connect. Any thoughts?

If you aren't already doing any of this:

1.) make sure the IP in server.properties is set to the correct external IP.
2.) make sure you forward whatever port you're using.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pandoracell said:
I'm not sure if you just have a lower tolerance level than I do, but it really shouldn't be that bad. I played the game for almost a month on a machine with 512MB of ram. But to answer your question, no, there isn't a different version you can get from the website. You can probably find the files for older versions online and throw them into your MC directory, however.
I don't know, I'm gonna play around with it some more but it's really actually pretty bad. I think of myself has having high tolerance to jank just from the fact I have an old computer. It's just the stutteriness of it. I can handle just about anything as long as its smooth.

So does everyone play windowed? I f11ed into fullscreen when I was running at 1440x900 and it actually seemed smoother than when it was windowed. So naturally I dropped the res of my computer in windows since there isn't the option in the game... only now f11ing into fullscreen just crashes the game... :|

Trasher

Pandoracell said:
If you aren't already doing any of this:

1.) make sure the IP in server.properties is set to the correct external IP.
2.) make sure you forward whatever port you're using.
Yeah, we've done all that jazz. We use the IP address from the ipconfig, and we have it forwarded on our router. I dunno what we are missing/doing wrong. Like I said, it used to work fine, but ever since we downloaded a new patch a while ago it stopped letting me connect.

Linksys E1000 wireless router btw.

I get these two errors when trying to connect:

java.net.SocketException: Host is down
java.net.SocketException: No route to host

Ranger X

Jtwo said:

Make sure you expand the window you're playing in with the F11 key and not the little button on the top right corner. Expanding with F11 you gain 300-400% performance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:
Make sure you expand the window you're playing in with the F11 key and not the little button on the top right corner. Expanding with F11 you gain 300-400% performance.
I've already tried that and you're right there is a noticeable jump in performance. However it's not quite still as smooth as I'd like. I want to run this game at 1280 or something.. how do I do that? Does the game have a console or something? My first instinct was just to drop the display res through windows and then maximize with f11 but the game crashes out when I do that.

Sanic

Trasher said:
Yeah, we've done all that jazz. We use the IP address from the ipconfig, and we have it forwarded on our router. I dunno what we are missing/doing wrong. Like I said, it used to work fine, but ever since we downloaded a new patch a while ago it stopped letting me connect.

Linksys E1000 wireless router btw.

I get these two errors when trying to connect:

java.net.SocketException: Host is down
java.net.SocketException: No route to host

I haven't seen those errors before, so i'm unable to really comment further. You are using the latest server, right? And have you tried with a fresh server installation?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, well here is a question about the actual game.

The wiki says to create an axe it requires two sticks and three wooden planks.

I put those in the craft slot and it won't make an axe! I notice on the wiki though the crafting slot allows for nine spaces while mine only allows for four. Whats up with that?

Trasher

Pandoracell said:
I haven't seen those errors before, so i'm unable to really comment further. You are using the latest server, right? And have you tried with a fresh server installation?
Yup. Everything is up to date.

Sanic

Jtwo said:
Alright, well here is a question about the actual game.

The wiki says to create an axe it requires two sticks and three wooden planks.

I put those in the craft slot and it won't make an axe! I notice on the wiki though the crafting slot allows for nine spaces while mine only allows for four. Whats up with that?

You need to build a workbench first, which is made by putting four wood planks into those four spaces. Then place the workbench and right click on it to craft items that require 5-9 spaces, like the axe.

Trasher said:
Yup. Everything is up to date.

Hopefully you get things working soon. I remember I had a lot of issues when I first ventured into MP.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Neocraft just kicked me out and I can't get back on. Is the server down?

Ranger X

Now, when you use a bonemeal on grass, it grows a patch of tall herbs and flowers. It's fucking awesome.

To all:

- I Bonemealed the entrance of Moria.

- Bonemealed Booty Bay.

- Will Bonemeal parts of Middleland.

I tried not to put flowers and grass in people's courtyards and tried to make the cities look better and more 1.6.
However, feel free to add or remove grass and flowers I just did put. It might happen that the place where I put it doesn't fit with your settlement / decoration or something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So here is what I think happened: I think i have a slowass mobile 5400rpm hdd and it was taking like 20 minutes to stream the world in. After I let it sit forever the performance seems alright.

..though I have spent most of that time underground so there isn't the draw distance. Tried to play without a wiki, but it's basically hopeless. Reading up on torches etc. now.

Oh what the fuck, i can build a furnace and smelt ore with it.

lives up to the hype

Ranger X

Jtwo said:
So here is what I think happened: I think i have a slowass mobile 5400rpm hdd and it was taking like 20 minutes to stream the world in. After I let it sit forever the performance seems alright.

..though I have spent most of that time underground so there isn't the draw distance. Tried to play without a wiki, but it's basically hopeless. Reading up on torches etc. now.

Oh what the fuck, i can build a furnace and smelt ore with it.

lives up to the hype

I am happy that you like. ;)

okno

Downloaded this two days ago, game is worth every drop of praise it gets. I didn't think I would like it, because I'm generally awful at building games, but christ... I can't stop thinking up new ideas! I just found redstone dust, so I'm going to start working on making a cart coaster/transport! I've already built an elaborate, underground house that connects to three islands, so now I'm going to connect the underground to the sky and make a castle in the sky!

Love. This. Game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
You can burn wood to make charcoal if you're having trouble finding coal in the early stages, too
I restarted my world a few times, and after about 6 it started me out in the best fucking place ever. After, a few tries of deserted tundra it gave me this crazy cliff world with tons of resources. I looked out and saw the little black dots and was like "ORRRREEEEEEE" and ran off to mine it. It's a really fun game, its a bit overwhelming though. Focusing on making a nice sword right now. Sword and a torch and then later I'll build a shack.

okno

Jtwo said:
I restarted my world a few times, and after about 6 it started me out in the best fucking place ever. After, a few tries of deserted tundra it gave me this crazy cliff world with tons of resources. I looked out and saw the little black dots and was like "ORRRREEEEEEE" and ran off to mine it. It's a really fun game, its a bit overwhelming though. Focusing on making a nice sword right now. Sword and a torch and then later I'll build a shack.

I'd build a shack first, if I were you!

mcrae

just updated to 1.6, and now i get black screen after the login/mojang logo. i used to get it once a day or so, this sucks cause i cant play. off to google :/

guest1321

mcrae said:
just updated to 1.6, and now i get black screen after the login/mojang logo. i used to get it once a day or so, this sucks cause i cant play. off to google :/
I think I saw you online tonight so I'm assuming you fixed it. But if that wasn't you then my question is: did you at one point use MCpatcher?

I used it on 1.5_01 and when it autoupdated to 1.6.x it gave me some errors. I just deleted all the minecraft stuff, restarted minecraft and let it do a fresh download. Considering how lightweight the game is it seems like this is the quickest/least-painless method for errors.

Vespene

Replace the Nether with orbital space, where you have to build a rocket to get to, then do EVA's from the rocket to mine asteroids then come back with super rare minerals.

fresquito

jaundicejuice said:
So does the Nether have a point? I've gone there and gathered some netherrack, soul sand and the glowing rock stuff while dodging ghast spam
It's supposed to be for hyperdimensional trips. Each block in tyhe Nether represents ten blocks in the common world. So, if you open a portal 100 blocks away from the other in the Nether, it will be 1000 blocks away in the common world.

Other than that, it's good for nothing. Ghasts should have a lower shooting rate, or shoot from nearer, or move slower, because it's really hard to reach to them and they can destroy the whole place before you can kill them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I read that it was possible maybe to make glass tunnels in the Nether that can let you travel great distances in the overworld?

edit: note, because Ghasts don't see through glass, or something.

Ah, okay, so if I go rather far from my current location in the common world, i could build another gate and use that to travel to the other gate with relative ease. Okay. It's better than trying to cover that distance with mine track.

mcrae

guest1321 said:
I think I saw you online tonight so I'm assuming you fixed it. But if that wasn't you then my question is: did you at one point use MCpatcher?

I used it on 1.5_01 and when it autoupdated to 1.6.x it gave me some errors. I just deleted all the minecraft stuff, restarted minecraft and let it do a fresh download. Considering how lightweight the game is it seems like this is the quickest/least-painless method for errors.

i did get on. i deleted the minecraft .bin file a couple times, didnt work. so i just deleted the entire .minecraft folder, then it worked.

started work on a 'treehouse' type house. i use quotation marks because im building it out of half dirt/half wood and planting trees all over. inspired by the one near spawn.

Top Bottom