• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Re: Skirmish level games.. can't go past Infinity imho. Such amazing minis and I love the ruleset.

Yes, Infinity is one of the best mini games I've played. Just sadly is not very popular in the US and a bit of a pain to acquire since only a handful of stores stock it.

RK if you like the theme should be good, as its still a skirmish level game which is very low risk either way. Stuff like 40k, war machine, etc require much more money and time investments.

The 'Dark Vengeance' 40K starter set is up for pre-order now!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/w...hopBlogEN+(What's+New+Today+@+Games+Workshop)

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG70lTjCZZA

m2540226a_60010199006_DVChaosLord_873x627.jpg

m2540236a_60010199006_DVChosenUnit_873x627.jpg

m2540261a_60010199006_DVHelbrute01_873x627.jpg

*drools*

Looking great!

Do you have a camera with a macro setting? I'd love to see some close-up pictures.

I'll get some close ups tomorrow. I finished basing them as well. Finished the Menoth, too; but not as pleased with how they came out. Need to learn proper shading instead of the dip method for guys that are mostly white. Oh well, lesson learned on an army that nobody is going to be playing in our family anyway.

Yes, Infinity is one of the best mini games I've played. Just sadly is not very popular in the US and a bit of a pain to acquire since only a handful of stores stock it.

RK if you like the theme should be good, as its still a skirmish level game which is very low risk either way. Stuff like 40k, war machine, etc require much more money and time investments.

I dunno man. I mean, you've been doing this longer than me, for sure, but value proposition wise, getting started in Warmachine is the same price, if not cheaper, really. The $100 option on RK gets you two factions of 9 units each and the book. For that, you can get the WM 2p Batlebox, which basically has the same amount of units for two factions and buy the book, even though the rules in the box are enough to play with.

But you're right, if he's attracted to the theme more than Warmahordes, then that's a perfectly valid reason.

Relic Knights and Inifinity are the two that I find attractive on a visual level. I do like the Circle of Orboros in Hordes too. We'll see.

Any sites you'd suggest to get a better feel for these three options?

EDIT: checking out this YT playlist for Infinity currently.

Checking out this one too on Infinity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5trRR7hAIwU&sns

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Is it only available for pre-order through GW? I'd like to get the standard 20-25% off from other shops.

No, I've seen it on element games among others. I think that perhaps the limited edition box may be GW exclusive, though. That only includes one extra model and is more expensive anyway, if I recall.

Actually the limited edition is also available elsewhere.

The standard edition is under £50 on element games, nice.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So I've progressed to painting my 3rd DnD boardgame.. I'm slowly getting better.

I've got a better handle on why and how to dilute my paints to the consistency of 2% milk.

My question is about the thickness of the paint in the pots..can you not thin out the pot itself so you don't have to dilute so much on your palette? And what if you can should you use?

Or will that ruin the paint and cause the pot to dry out quicker?

So I've progressed to painting my 3rd DnD boardgame.. I'm slowly getting better.

I've got a better handle on why and how to dilute my paints to the consistency of 2% milk.

My question is about the thickness of the paint in the pots..can you not thin out the pot itself so you don't have to dilute so much on your palette? And what if you can should you use?

Or will that ruin the paint and cause the pot to dry out quicker?

I dilute as I go, always have. I don't know what sort of consequence, if any, would result in pre-watering them down. It's worth an experiment I guess. Let me know how it goes :)

Speaking of paint: My score last week was 8 fl. oz. bottles of Americana paint on sale for $1.99 each. I am going to be doing a lot of Blood Angels, so I picked up Black, 3 shades of red (no mixing!), and white.

FADA2E55-AB74-41CE-90F0-C188E3264E84-10883-0000122EB9B35E6D.jpg

I also picked up around 20 of misc. paints and some random supplies (brushes, empty flip top bottles, snow/ice effects, and triple thick glaze) all on sale. The entire haul was only 40$!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I dilute as I go, always have. I don't know what sort of consequence, if any, would result in pre-watering them down. It's worth an experiment I guess. Let me know how it goes :)

Speaking of paint: My score last week was 8 fl. oz. bottles of Americana paint on sale for $1.99 each. I am going to be doing a lot of Blood Angels, so I picked up Black, 3 shades of red (no mixing!), and white.

I also picked up around 20 of misc. paints and some random supplies (brushes, empty flip top bottles, snow/ice effects, and triple thick glaze) all on sale. The entire haul was only 40$!

I always wondered how general hobby acrylic compares to brands made for mini's like reaper or citadel..do you find they're comparable just lacking color blends?
For that much cheaper you really could save alot of money

Those Chaos SM look stunning. First time I've ever wanted to paint and collect Chaos.

However, my fave style of Chaos is Nurgle. I'm wondering how I'd go about nurgling these up a bit.

Anyway, pre-ordered from Gifts for Geeks for £52.60 for the limited edition :)

I always wondered how general hobby acrylic compares to brands made for mini's like reaper or citadel..do you find they're comparable just lacking color blends?
For that much cheaper you really could save alot of money

I actually find them overall to have better coverage because the paint itself starts out thicker. Unless compared to Citadel Base Colors which are great on black. No matter what pain I use, I water it down anyway. The dirt cheap hobby paints just need more water! There are actually considerably more color blends in the cheap hobby paints vs GW or Vallejo, especially in reds/blues/purples/greens/browns. Hell, I have 7 shades of orange alone, lol. Only Reaper paints gets crazy with hundreds and hundreds of blends, but again you only get tiny little bottles so I don't think it's worth it.

Everyone has pretty strong opinions in this hobby about paint. It can get as bad as PS3 vs 360! Find what works for you and go nuts. I happen to love the cheap cost, variety, and application of hobby store paints like Folklore, Americana, Creamcoat, ect. Some colors go on much better over a white or gray undercoat than a black one though. You just kind of have to find the strengths and weaknesses of a particular line of paint products and work to it's strengths.

Those Chaos SM look stunning. First time I've ever wanted to paint and collect Chaos.

However, my fave style of Chaos is Nurgle. I'm wondering how I'd go about nurgling these up a bit.

Anyway, pre-ordered from Gifts for Geeks for £52.60 for the limited edition :)

Wow, we are the same. I think just breaking some horns, turning claws into tentacles, and painting them appropriately would work fine. There seems to be a strong bone and generic demonic theme going on with the mins that would be easy to work with. One marine already has a single spike in the middle of his helmet. That Helbrute is simply begging to be Nurglified!

Indeed it is! I'm thinking of using the tips in last month's White Dwarf where they nurgled up a Chaos Engine. Liberal use of liquid green stuff. I should get some of those Plaguebearers too, I bet they'd have some good spares for conversions on them!

I dunno man. I mean, you've been doing this longer than me, for sure, but value proposition wise, getting started in Warmachine is the same price, if not cheaper, really. The $100 option on RK gets you two factions of 9 units each and the book. For that, you can get the WM 2p Batlebox, which basically has the same amount of units for two factions and buy the book, even though the rules in the box are enough to play with.

But you're right, if he's attracted to the theme more than Warmahordes, then that's a perfectly valid reason.

Warmachine and hordes starter is well priced, but that is just entry fee. You WILL be building much larger forces and spending a lot more money. Army sizes of warmahordes long ago left the realm of skirmish level games. Relic Knights is meant to be true skirmish level with forces generally being the size of the starter set and not expanding much. That's what I was talking about investment and such. My Infinity army has been far cheaper than everything I've spent on Hordes stuff, nor do I ever feel the need to expand more to stay competitive.

hayguyz

Banned
Just a heads-up, only 29 or so hours left on the Reapers Kickstart.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

$100 gets you 200+ minis and counting - at the rate it's climbing it wouldn't surprise me if it hits 300 minis.

We're already at less that fifty cents each, and there's a TON of fantastic sculpts. Check it out!

After much thought, I decided not to go with this.

As amazing as the deal is, it will just give me hundreds of minis that will just collect dust.

So the Reaper Miniatures Bones Kickstarter ended at $3,429,235 pledged, 11,430% funded, 3rd biggest funded project on Kickstarter - wow!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So the Reaper Miniatures Bones Kickstarter ended at $3,429,235 pledged, 11,430% funded, 3rd biggest funded project on Kickstarter - wow!

ya very pleased with how it turned out..end up getting 240 mini's for the 100 dollar vampire pledge level.
and we unlocked a bloody huge Cthulhu as a 10dollar option at the end.
actually the options are spectacular and where I spent too much money.

Vhalyar

The Chaos models look pretty amazing, unfortunately the back of the Helbrute seems a bit disappointing compared to the super busy front. Still a wonderful model though.

After much thought, I decided not to go with this.

As amazing as the deal is, it will just give me hundreds of minis that will just collect dust.

Same here. I have tons of "generic" minis to paint for various board games. It is a great deal and the minis are nice, but I already have too much to paint as it stands.

I did decide to paint up 100 zombie dogs from Zombies!!! 4: The End.... I split them up roughly and primed/painted them in groups of brown, black, gray, and white. Each group will get a different quickshade (3 different) and I have 3 different eye colors planned (red, green, blue). On top of that they will be based differently. The final step is applying blood, my favorite part of course. By the time it is all over there should be a good amount of variety among the 100 zombie dogs and they will look pretty good both separate and as a group.

Has any Mantic game actually been good? Their big draw has been cheap warhammer proxies for the most part but haven't heard much about their "boardgame" releases. Their mini wargame rule sets have been pretty lackluster and uninteresting so far.

Has any Mantic game actually been good? Their big draw has been cheap warhammer proxies for the most part but haven't heard much about their "boardgame" releases. Their mini wargame rule sets have been pretty lackluster and uninteresting so far.

Personally I'm not interested in playing wargames, but I get the impression that Kings of War isn't too bad (as it has had a fair bit of work put in), but Warpath is still pretty rough and needs a lot of work.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Has anyone tried Reapers Warlord 2nd Ed. or Savage North?
Curious of thoughts on it.I'm looking at using Reaper Kickstarter to build a bunch of Skirmish Armies..
Black Orcs of Kargir and Frost Giants of Icingstead are the two obvious ones.

Kings of War is actually pretty good. A much more manoeuvre based game, which will appeal to 7th ed. fans of WHF. I liked it, good for a change or a shorter game with the army you use for WHF.

Leunam

The 'Dark Vengeance' 40K starter set is up for pre-order now!

These particular models aren't limited right? I'd really like those cultists for Necromunda but I'm not sure if I want to buy everything else with it.

Not as cool looking as the 40k starter set, but Battlefront has just previewed their new 2 player starter as well, with the first all plastic models they have ever done. The highlight is the new infantry which have at 15mm always been lacking in detail. The new figs look fantastic.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3438

Sweet merciful crap the infantry look great. What am I to do with my ugly little US Rifle Company (1500 pts) now? :(

My Dark Vengeance pre-order shipped today (to my local GW store) apparently, but I still don't see a release date...

EDIT: My bad, it's releasing September 1st, w00t!

Vhalyar

These particular models aren't limited right? I'd really like those cultists for Necromunda but I'm not sure if I want to buy everything else with it.

Possibly. For example, Deffkopters were in the previous starter box but they were never released as a standalone plastic kit. Wait another month and you'll find out; the Chaos codex will be out and with it will come the new boxes.

Has anyone tried Reapers Warlord 2nd Ed. or Savage North?
Curious of thoughts on it.I'm looking at using Reaper Kickstarter to build a bunch of Skirmish Armies..
Black Orcs of Kargir and Frost Giants of Icingstead are the two obvious ones.

Warlord is a nice little game made for use of generic figures, such as Reapers stuff. Easy to play and lets you use pretty much any fantasy figs you can find. It's not the most well known or played games of couse, but nice for something to play that you can just pull out random fantasy figs and throw down.

Kings of War is actually pretty good. A much more manoeuvre based game, which will appeal to 7th ed. fans of WHF. I liked it, good for a change or a shorter game with the army you use for WHF.

I don't know if the rules changed much in 2nd edition, but I wasn't a fan of Kings of War, the rules just felt overly generic and a big issue with the game to me was that it felt like it had no flavor at all. Everything streamlined so much and the armies themselves had little to no individuality. Just felt like a highly gutted version of WHF *shrug*

Risible

Not as cool looking as the 40k starter set, but Battlefront has just previewed their new 2 player starter as well, with the first all plastic models they have ever done. The highlight is the new infantry which have at 15mm always been lacking in detail. The new figs look fantastic.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3438

That set looks cool, but how hard is it to paint 15 mm figs? My tired old eyes have enough problems with 28mm figs, I can't imagine what it's like to paint something that size.

That set looks cool, but how hard is it to paint 15 mm figs? My tired old eyes have enough problems with 28mm figs, I can't imagine what it's like to paint something that size.

Found it easier, as usually you aren't going to be so picky about the minor details. Infantry are the hardest part but because they are so small and on the tabletop, you don't need to be super detailed to look good. Some folks are going to be more picky about their details though of course but often such small scale figs, you can be a bit more abstract... you don't need to put on any facial details on folks for example really, just little skin tone and maybe a drop of inking or whatever for a little detail. Vehicles can be pretty easy depending on nationality and theater of war you choose to model after.

Takuan

I've always admired the work people are able to accomplish on these tiny, tiny figurines. I've never actually played the table-top game and wouldn't mind having a starter army of my own, so I'm very interested in the Dark Vengeance set.

Can any Canadians chime in on sources besides Games Workshop to purchase one of these? Limited Edition would be great, but if the savings are significant, I'm perfectly fine with the standard release.

That Reaper Kickstarter looked like an incredible deal. I remember perusing their library many years back when I was really into miniatures and was impressed with a lot of their sculpts.

Risible

I actually find them overall to have better coverage because the paint itself starts out thicker. Unless compared to Citadel Base Colors which are great on black. No matter what pain I use, I water it down anyway. The dirt cheap hobby paints just need more water! There are actually considerably more color blends in the cheap hobby paints vs GW or Vallejo, especially in reds/blues/purples/greens/browns. Hell, I have 7 shades of orange alone, lol. Only Reaper paints gets crazy with hundreds and hundreds of blends, but again you only get tiny little bottles so I don't think it's worth it.

Everyone has pretty strong opinions in this hobby about paint. It can get as bad as PS3 vs 360! Find what works for you and go nuts. I happen to love the cheap cost, variety, and application of hobby store paints like Folklore, Americana, Creamcoatr
, ect. Some colors go on much better over a white or gray undercoat than a black one though. You just kind of have to find the strengths and weaknesses of a particular line of paint products and work to it's strengths.

Do you have any close up photos of minis you painted using the hobby store acrylics? I've always heard that the pigments were too large to use them for minis, but of course maybe that's just bullshit being spouted by minis companies to keep you buying their paints :). I'd love to see some examples...

I've always admired the work people are able to accomplish on these tiny, tiny figurines. I've never actually played the table-top game and wouldn't mind having a starter army of my own, so I'm very interested in the Dark Vengeance set.

Can any Canadians chime in on sources besides Games Workshop to purchase one of these? Limited Edition would be great, but if the savings are significant, I'm perfectly fine with the standard release.

That Reaper Kickstarter looked like an incredible deal. I remember perusing their library many years back when I was really into miniatures and was impressed with a lot of their sculpts.

I'm not in Canada, but you could try miniwargaming.com, they're Canadian. And I think the ltd edition is only a very minimal price increase over the regular edition.

Do you have any close up photos of minis you painted using the hobby store acrylics? I've always heard that the pigments were too large to use them for minis, but of course maybe that's just bullshit being spouted by minis companies to keep you buying their paints :). I'd love to see some examples...

I use hobby store acrylics with no problem. Some of the more expensive enthusiast paints have more pigment so they go on smoother with less need of multiple coats but mileague varies by color really and what your painting. I gladly buy my 99 cent big pots of acrylics over those overpriced Citadel and Privateer Press paints. I only buy those for very specific special colors

Takuan

I'm not in Canada, but you could try miniwargaming.com, they're Canadian. And I think the ltd edition is only a very minimal price increase over the regular edition.

Thanks for the recommendation. I can see that the difference between LE and regular isn't even $10, which is great - but unfortunately, they're sold out of the former! I'll try tracking down an LE if possible. Going to try and find info on international sources and potential taxes involved.

Crap, seems like GWS is similar to Wizards of the Coast in that they don't allow retailers to ship products out of their region. I wonder if they're as draconian about it as Wizards? I know for a fact my friend has ordered from UK stores in the past, but ElementGames won't ship to me. It's a shame, since their price is something like $30 cheaper than retail before shipping.

Found a local store selling the regular edition for ~$90 Canadian! But, ugh, the Chaplain bonus figure looks so good... I dunno about $30+ good, but still...

daedalius

Wait, this exists on Gaf?

Subscribed.

Going to play a 4 player 40k game tonight, 1500 a piece, local tourney is in a few weeks.

Won(best general) the last one ;)

Wait, this exists on Gaf?

Subscribed.

Going to play a 4 player 40k game tonight, 1500 a piece, local tourney is in a few weeks.

Won(best general) the last one ;)

Yep, we exist ^o^

Awesome work. I find games of 4+ players take aaaages even with only 500 points a piece. At least the last one I played at my local GW took about 5 hours. Although it didn't help that two players joined in turn 4 with full armies, with the rest of us already in tatters. :p

Risible

Has anyone found a place in the US to preorder the limited edition Dark Vengeance set? I hate paying the GW price knowing that most other places give at least a 20% discount.

daedalius

Yep, we exist ^o^

Awesome work. I find games of 4+ players take aaaages even with only 500 points a piece. At least the last one I played at my local GW took about 5 hours. Although it didn't help that two players joined in turn 4 with full armies, with the rest of us already in tatters. :p

Wow, I guess we are pretty fast now.

We can get through a regular 5-7 turn game in about 3 hours with 1500pts apiece.

daedalius

Also, I'll likely be doing some (art) work for FFG, (maybe) Warmachine, Paizo, DP9, Malifaux, more soon.

Meeting with all of their Art Directors at Gencon was a great time :)

I'm a giant 40k nerd, got into it from Dawn of War on PC when it came out, been playing TT ever since. I've played the 40k RPG Dark Heresy a bit, mostly with my wife, but I'm more of a wargamer. But hey if I'm doing art for it, I'll probably play it more ;)

Takuan

Has anyone found a place in the US to preorder the limited edition Dark Vengeance set? I hate paying the GW price knowing that most other places give at least a 20% discount.
The War Store (www.thewarstore.com) is taking pre-orders, but cannot guarantee them. I was quoted $90 + $35 shipping to Canada. Even after taxes, I'd be paying less than GWS Canadian retail. :lol

Frigging ridiculous. I'm trying to decide whether the one figure (which I probably will never end up painting, by the way) is worth the additional $25 or so. Common sense says no, but I hate missing out on exclusives.

Also, I'll likely be doing some (art) work for FFG, (maybe) Warmachine, Paizo, DP9, more soon.

Meeting with all of their Art Directors at Gencon was a great time :)

I'm a giant 40k nerd, got into it from Dawn of War on PC when it came out, been playing TT ever since. I've played the 40k RPG Dark Heresy a bit, mostly with my wife, but I'm more of a wargamer. But hey if I'm doing art for it, I'll probably play it more ;)
That's awesome. I realize you probably have NDA agreements for licensed stuff, but I would love to see any of your work.

Well, I'm at work so here is some Descent 1.0 minis from last year painted for gameplay from my PhotoBucket account. I've posted these before either in here or the board games thread, but herre they are again! (The wizard's OSL has since been improved!)

Gameplay card references:

I've really been meaning to get back to the Descent miniatures. I have another 40-50 heroes to go and all of the monsters as well! Every one of these is a mini experiment from technique to basing. I tried to give them all a mini diorama and make them feel unique. I just stare at the unpainted, plastic figures and look over at what materials I have and give it a go when I get inspired. The actual figures are smaller than 28mm and the quality is lacking (being especially kind). I really enjoyed the way each one turned out though, they were great fun!

Top Bottom