• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Ydahs

I've been seeing this thread for years but today was the first time I've actually entered it.

So you all paint these little figurines? Mighty impressive. My brother used to do the same 6-7 years ago. Had these little LotR figurines he'd spend hours painting. Amazing patience for someone who was never artistically driven.

I won't be getting involved myself, but I've subscribed to appreciate the art :)

Finally gathered all our haul of stuff from Gencon and Star Wars Celebration conventions and played a full 100 point X-Wing game. Great game, can't wait for more figs and stuff to get released already. Will likely do a full write up review soon for the game.

7907423850_24bf7899fb_b.jpg

Yea I need to get a space play mat hehe

Karak

One question for those that have played.Should i start with the 1.5 rules?and which 2 starter kits would you recommend for newbie playability?

checking out the malifaux homepage i just found the Terraclips....Holy Mother of God those are goddamn cool. It seems to be more RPG geared in theme tho it sounds like it can be used for setting up Malifaux tables as well.

I think when I was a kid if i saw these walking into a store..I would have passed out.

tcpromo1.jpg

tcpromo3.jpg

tcpromo2.jpg

In replacement of making and painting my own stuff I would go with this in a second. I don't like how they sell them separate but I see why they may do that.
Some crazy stuff.

The terraclips stuff is quite impressive quality. You can get cheap paper/cardboard terrain, but it never looks as good in person and is a bit of a pain in the ass to play on because it's so light and constantly moves. Terraclips are very well done, thick cardboard also that makes them pretty sturdy, course you got to pay for the quality, but it's worth it for a darn impressive set up. Originally made for Malifaux in mind, but it really works for many settings. New dungeon set is more generic fantasy and they have said they plan on expanding to other settings/genres in the future.

Picked up a Rat Ogre box today. Got them primed on their 2 sprues and will start working on them later tonight. Them and my "An Ork A Day Project". (is the only way I'll finish those fuckers)

I'd get into infinity but I only know a few people who even play 40K right now :p

If anyone in Leicester, UK wants to play it with me though I'd be up for it :) Or even 40K or Malifaux. :p

Also, my unboxing vid is up ^_^ Yays.

I'd get into infinity but I only know a few people who even play 40K right now :p

If anyone in Leicester, UK wants to play it with me though I'd be up for it :) Or even 40K or Malifaux. :p

Also, my unboxing vid is up ^_^ Yays.

Thank you for posting the vid! That is a lot of stuff in that box!

daedalius

In replacement of making and painting my own stuff I would go with this in a second. I don't like how they sell them separate but I see why they may do that.
Some crazy stuff.

Wow, I can't wait to work with the Malifaux guys if they are making crazy awesome stuff like this.

Got a bunch of paints the other day to fix up some of my models and make them look better. Doing a mini-40k tourney with my friends on Wednesday before the tourney on Sat.

Also here's some nerdy 40k art:

Infinity seems really great, would love some more granularity (D20) in wargames as opposed to D6.

The terraclips stuff is quite impressive quality. You can get cheap paper/cardboard terrain, but it never looks as good in person and is a bit of a pain in the ass to play on because it's so light and constantly moves. Terraclips are very well done, thick cardboard also that makes them pretty sturdy, course you got to pay for the quality, but it's worth it for a darn impressive set up. Originally made for Malifaux in mind, but it really works for many settings. New dungeon set is more generic fantasy and they have said they plan on expanding to other settings/genres in the future.

I actually picked some up on Friday. Had a busy weekend, put managed to put together and play a little bit

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

It helps with scale so much. This was one box of Streets and one box of Buildings and a box of clips for each. Playing Warmachine on it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I actually picked some up on Friday. Had a busy weekend, put managed to put together and play a little bit

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

It helps with scale so much. This was one box of Streets and one box of Buildings and a box of clips for each. Playing Warmachine on it.

Ya... see, thats what I thought...just looks so damn Awesome.
I was wondering if it wouldn't blend into a Green terrain board well, mix and match as you go to create some really interesting scenario's..that look fantastic.

Man I'm gonna blow so much money on this stuff, I can see it now

And extra sets people have made some really impressive set ups with especially since you can mix and match them. Also good to have extra clips so you can use them to close up any extra gaps you might have such as on roofs and such to make it even cleaner looking.

Leunam

Good stuff guys. Still waiting for my local shop to get X-Wing in stock so I can give the game a go. And man, those buildings look great. The colors don't look particularly vibrant, but that may just be because of the pictures.

Good stuff guys. Still waiting for my local shop to get X-Wing in stock so I can give the game a go. And man, those buildings look great. The colors don't look particularly vibrant, but that may just be because of the pictures.

Saw a Gencon video of the X-Wing game and I was impressed. I like the movement phase.

Quick newbie poll:

Ok, so I bought a couple synthetic brushes (a 0 and a 10/0 Golden Taklon) for my basic setup.

If I were to grab one good Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky, which size do you all find the most indispensable? Or are a few in order?

dickblick.com has some excellent pricing.

Saw a Gencon video of the X-Wing game and I was impressed. I like the movement phase.

Quick newbie poll:

Ok, so I bought a couple synthetic brushes (a 0 and a 10/0 Golden Taklon) for my basic setup.

If I were to grab one good Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky, which size do you all find the most indispensable? Or are a few in order?

I have sizes 1, 0, 00, and 000. Of those, I use 1 and 0 the most by far, and if I got just one, it would be the size 1.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Quick newbie poll:

I'm not sure how the sizes compare But I bought The Army Painter Brush's
1. Regiment is great for base coating.
2. Character is great for highlighting and most detail
3. Insane detail for things like eyes and very small precision stuff.
4. small dry brush for well drybushing

Overall I've been pretty happy with them, and they're pretty economical.
Image097.jpg

Finally got myself to the 2/3's mark complete with my Orks. Of course, getting sidelined with painting up Rat Ogre's doesn't help either.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Anyone Here use a wet pallette? I'm having a hard time with paints drying really fast(and the fact I paint real slow).
I was wondering which works better...wax paper or Parchment paper.

OH and as well Anyone know of a good Online seller In Canada for Mini stuff?

I'm not sure how the sizes compare But I bought The Army Painter Brush's
1. Regiment is great for base coating.
2. Character is great for highlighting and most detail
3. Insane detail for things like eyes and very small precision stuff.
4. small dry brush for well drybushing

Overall I've been pretty happy with them, and they're pretty economical.
Image097.jpg

Definitely why I asked and thanks. Just about everyone I've asked elsewhere tells me that the more expensive Red Sable brushes end up more economical over time if you take good care of them as they last far longer than the synthetics. Dickblick.com has them for around $8 which is a steal, especially confiding I spent $4.5 for my cheapie synthetics.

Check em out and let me know if you use them. They definitely ship to Canada.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-miniature-brushes/

LOL at the plain base with nothing on it for Ant Man. Cheeky.

Yeah, it's pretty amusing. They've done it once before with Shrinking Violet (The Legend of the Shrinking Violet... !) It was a surprise "bonus" to the Legion of Super Heroes Starter.

On the upside, they are great ways to do your own custom sculpts, through the Shrinking Violet base is much cheaper. The Ant Man / Giant Man costs around $60-80 on the second hand market now.

Yeah, it's pretty amusing. They've done it once before with Shrinking Violet (The Legend of the Shrinking Violet... !) It was a surprise "bonus" to the Legion of Super Heroes Starter.

On the upside, they are great ways to do your own custom sculpts, through the Shrinking Violet base is much cheaper. The Ant Man / Giant Man costs around $60-80 on the second hand market now.

Good to see another clixer. I got a Martian Manhunter at GenCon and he has since been sold to pay for the trip. I started a Heroclix thread a while back, but it got buried. I may resurrect it when the Batman No Man's Land organized play event starts up.

Never was a fan of heroclix but it's the most successful clix game no doubt. It really built itself a huge fanbase from the comic book crowd, many of which don't play other mini games sadly, but hey it's all good. I just never cared for the game so much.... was really into Mechwarrior Clix for a while though till they kept ruining the game with awful rule design choices.

Had a blast with the game, it just needs more content as with only 4 ship types, it feels limited so far. Hopefully wave 2 is out sooner than later as the bigger ships look amazing in person. Custome scenarios will be a lot of fun with the game.

As for the Terraclips pics, I think part of it is because of the camera (was flash used?), as my sets seem much more vibrant in their coloring than those which look muted in comparison.

Never was a fan of heroclix but it's the most successful clix game no doubt. It really built itself a huge fanbase from the comic book crowd, many of which don't play other mini games sadly, but hey it's all good. I just never cared for the game so much.... was really into Mechwarrior Clix for a while though till they kept ruining the game with awful rule design choices.

Had a blast with the game, it just needs more content as with only 4 ship types, it feels limited so far. Hopefully wave 2 is out sooner than later as the bigger ships look amazing in person. Custome scenarios will be a lot of fun with the game.

As for the Terraclips pics, I think part of it is because of the camera (was flash used?), as my sets seem much more vibrant in their coloring than those which look muted in comparison.

No flash, but the lighting in the room is terrible. They are a bit more colorful in person for sure.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Adventures in painting continues this weekend and finished up a few more Ashardalon Models.
Tried to use some layering on the bears before dry brushing the final highlights ..not sure fur is the best idea to try this on but it turned out ok.

pic1410441_lg.jpg

Next I finished the snakes, which I was trying to go with somewhat realistic tones.
I did try layering two of the snakes bellies and left one plain to compare. Its gonna take allot of practice. I think i need to dilute the layer's more so they're more translucent and do more passes..

pic1410568_lg.jpg

Risible

Adventures in painting continues this weekend and finished up a few more Ashardalon Models.
Tried to use some layering on the bears before dry brushing the final highlights ..not sure fur is the best idea to try this on but it turned out ok.

pic1410441_lg.jpg

Next I finished the snakes, which I was trying to go with somewhat realistic tones.
I did try layering two of the snakes bellies and left one plain to compare. Its gonna take allot of practice. I think i need to dilute the layer's more so they're more translucent and do more passes..

pic1410568_lg.jpg

They look awesome. Lots of great painters here.

What would be the best way to get rid of Warhammer 40k Miniatures? I have the Tyranid Battle force, Tyranid Carnifex, Battle for Macragge Set, The Tyranid Codex and 4 or so "metal" Space Marine pieces. Some of the miniatures have been assembled and some painted (badly). What are my options? Just throwing them out seems wrong as I paid quite a lot for them. I was trying to give them to the gamesworkshop place I bought them as they teach newcomers there but they didn't want them either. I'd love to make some money back from them, but in all reality I just want them gone.

What would be the best way to get rid of Warhammer 40k Miniatures? I have the Tyranid Battle force, Tyranid Carnifex, Battle for Macragge Set, The Tyranid Codex and 4 or so "metal" Space Marine pieces. Some of the miniatures have been assembled and some painted (badly). What are my options? Just throwing them out seems wrong as I paid quite a lot for them. I was trying to give them to the gamesworkshop place I bought them as they teach newcomers there but they didn't want them either. I'd love to make some money back from them, but in all reality I just want them gone.

It looks like Ebay may be your best bet.

daedalius

Where are you located? I might have a friend that would be interested.

New Review: Star Wars: X-Wing

7938445074_e4159fcf02.jpg

What is it?
- Fantasy Flight Games first real original miniature game comes to us in the form of one of their first Star Wars licensed products. All previous mini games put out by FFG have been made by other studios and FFG has simply done the work of publisher. So how did their first real miniature creation turn out? Pretty darn good. Game is still not widely availabe yet but will be out very soon. While much of it feels like it is copying a game they used to publish, Wings of War, the game does make quite a few tweaks to make it fairly different. X-Wing focuses on space combat on a dog fighting level using a simple and functional game system.

The rules
- First thing you do is of course build up a force by using cards. The cards contain all the ship stats and represent the pilot of the ship. You can have cheap rookie pilot X-Wing, an elite piloted one, or even a unique character such as Luke Skywalker. Certain pilots will have on them unique abilities also that set them apart. Stat wise, ships are all standardized, so all X-Wings no matter who pilots them has the same stats, but the difference lies in pilot skill level and access to unique abilities. Like most miniature games, pilots have point values which you use to build up to a specific army build level. Along with pilot cards the game also has the nice feature of having smaller upgrade cards that can be used to further customize your ships. Add proton torpedoes to a ship will cost you some more points, while some ace pilots also have access to being able to purchase for points some extra ability cards.

Game breaks down in a pretty simple structure. Each ship has it's own dial which on that unique dial has all the speed and manuever combinations that ship is capable of. All players take all their dials at once and selects a manuever they plan on doing this turn. Once that is done, playing in Pilot skill order, the ships are moved one at a time by revealing the dial of that ship and the chosen manuever. mauevers are performed instead of measuring, but using templates that the core game comes with. The templates attach to guides on the base of the figures so a person can easily determine where a ship goes with no need for careful measuring. Templates come in variety of moves as well as speed options. manuevers are done in ascending order till all ships are moved. After a ship is moved, you get the option of performing an action, actions basically are what the pilot is doing while moving around, so you can choose to be evading which gives you a bonus against being hit. Other actions include stuff such as locking onto a nearby ship, doing a barrel roll, focusing on combat, and many other abilities. Doing this in ascending order represents how higher skilled pilots get to see the manuevers of lower skilled pilots and hence get to make a better choice on actions to choose.

After all ships move, combat is conducted one ship at a time again by skill level of the pilot, but in descending order to represent higher skilled pilots having iniative on combat. Combat in X-Wing is performed with dice instead of cards like Wings of War, using custom dice you get in the games starter. Range does impact your chances so maneuvering your ship well is very important and not just about firing arcs. Get in close, and you get an extra attack dice. Attacker rolls the calculated attack dice, while defender gets to roll the defense dice which is determined by how agile the ship is. Tie Fighters for example being more manuevarable tend to have higher agility than Rebel fighters so they are harder to hit. To deal damage, the attacker must roll more hits than the defender has rolled evade results. The number of hits over the amount of evades rolled, determine how many hits are done to the target ship. Some results on the hit dice also represent critical hits. Damage is represented using damage cards that come from a single damage deck shared by both players. If a ship has as many damage cards as it has hull points, it is destroyed. Some hit results on dice cause critical hits, when this happens you simply flip a damage card faceup where it has a random critical effect that applies to a ship. An example of a critical hit is engine damage, which makes it harder for a ship to do specific manuevers on later turns. Players continue performing attackins in the skill order and once done, a new round is done till the mission is completed, or all of one sides ships are dust.

7938444782_600b1afb14.jpg

Further Notes:
- Pretty simple sounding? It really is and it feels quite nice and elegant really. Some might be disappointed in the smaller scale of the game perhaps as obviously many like the concept of huge space battles in Star Wars, but players can of course make up their own mega battles. While the product design visually and some of it's concepts take from Wings of War, it does come off as pretty different game. Combat feels lot less random and in general theirs alot more you can do with your craft than in Wings of War. The customization options do make things quite interesting and future expansions are sure to just further expand on what a persn can do. The core game box set only comes with 3 figs, but it works as a cheaper intro set, and it comes with everything a player needs to play X-Wing. The game also comes with 3 scenarios that are nice and really show how the game will benefit from player creativity. Already online many fans are coming up with recreations of famouse battles from the movies and books. At Gencon and Star Wars Celebration Cons FFG has previewed the next wave of ships to be added which are to include the first "medium" sized ships, being the Millenium Falcon and Slave-1. From the rulebook it sounds like we are going to get ships even larger than this as well so what the future holds for the game is up in the air, but they obviously have lot of options. Base game is based on Space Combat, but atmospheric combat is surely in the careds for a distant expansion for stuff like airspeeders (battle of hoth anyone?).

The figures are prepainted miniatures which sets some players off, but these are excellent quality and really blow away those pieces of crap Wizards of the Coast put out for their space battles game. The plastic used is sturdy and not cheap rubbery stuff that will warp. Players will have to be careful with the handling of these ships as the minor details like the X-Wing cannons are fragile as heck. The paint quality and detail is very good though, up there with some of the best when it comes to prepaints. Production quality over all fits with FFG's normal high levels with alot of nice design choices that make for easy streamlined play. Ship bases for example all have the full ship data printed on them using cardboard overlays you can swap out depending on who the pilot is. So most relevant battle info is right there on the board for all players to see. Gameplay while quick doesn't mean the game plays super fast per say. The recommended play level is 100 points which can take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. For many miniature gamers though, that won't seem like alot. 100 points depending on your force build will likely be around 3 to 5 ships per side.

7938445706_dae3af20ba.jpg

Pros:
+ Very simple and fun rule set. Not fiddly at all and quick to teach.
+ Excellent quality prepainted figures
+ Lots of potential to expand especially with EU material and different Eras such as the Clone Wars.
+ Everything to play in the core box

Cons:
- Individual ships are a bit pricey at $15 retail each fighter. You do get cards and a bunch of tokens to go with that ship though.
- Game is bit on the small scale while each ship added will increase play time.
- As of writing this, the game only has 4 different ships available, so play options are limited.
- Ship expansions come with a variety of cards, many of which can be used by other ships. So if you want a specific card for another ship, you are kinda forced to buy the other ship expansions to get all the cards. The Y-Wing for example has a R5 droid which X-Wings can use and many will want.

7938445524_424f5bf88e.jpg

Again it's really early, so how the game will flesh out is tough to say truly, the next 4 ships in wave 2 of the games release schedule is supposed to be out before December. We don't have dates yet, just know which ships are coming. Game has a strong core start that feels very solid, so we have to see what gets added to it in the future, but what they have does offer lot of potential for growth in various directions. They could easily just put out card packs that add new pilots, abilities, and ship equipment!

Check out the full rules out for yourself at the games official site: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=174

REALLY great review there. My interest is growing especially after seeing a Gencon play though vid of it.

I have to blame you for my ever growing infatuation with the Infinity Universe. Haven't bought any figs yet, but it's not a matter of time. This vid gives me titty hardons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShBdvAQYkw

Tomorrow night I'm hitting the shop to watch my first game of Malifaux. Should be cool.

Leunam

Thanks for the review BattleMonkey! What is the recommended table size, 4'x4'? I might go with something like that. Can't believe I didn't think of the surface of the Death Star as a potential terrain choice, I was just going to use my space mat.

And Continuity, those are some fantastic DE. Really like your power weapons on he Incubi. Great color combination as well.

Thanks for the review BattleMonkey! What is the recommended table size, 4'x4'? I might go with something like that. Can't believe I didn't think of the surface of the Death Star as a potential terrain choice, I was just going to use my space mat.

And Continuity, those are some fantastic DE. Really like your power weapons on he Incubi. Great color combination as well.

Rules recommend playing on a 3x3 space for 100 points, though a 4x4 which is more common works fine as well. Yea the first wave of ships and cards seem to be focused on the Battle of Yavin, so Death Star tables they used at the demos for the cons was a good idea. Creating a trench run scenario on a table like this would be awesome. At megacon up in Orlando they have a huge trench run game that used micro machines and little pegs that pinned to the trench. It would be perfect to play X-Wing on.

*edit this was the table my gf took a pic of at the con. Yes it was hanging on it's side like that, to save floor space. The detail inside the actual trench was amazing

7943832390_bd494ab862_b.jpg

Top Bottom