• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Make sure you get right sized sleeves that fit the game cards snug, cause otherwise the cards shift around in the sleeve and make the book keeping a pain. And the delicious smell of dry erase.... errr yea

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Make sure you get right sized sleeves that fit the game cards snug, cause otherwise the cards shift around in the sleeve and make the book keeping a pain. And the delicious smell of dry erase.... errr yea

Decided to stop by BlackKnightgames and check out the Hordes battlebox...

There was a ton going on at the store today..They were having a Hordes Colossus Event this weekend as well an X-wing demo and a Bloodbowl league games were going on, probably about 25 people there.
One of the staff said they got at least 10 regular WarmaHordes players so I caved and started putting things aside..200dollars later I've joined the Hordes side of things..I love monsters :)
hordes+small.jpg

They didn't have a Orboros HeavyWarbeast kit so will have to pick that up next week.
Is there a specific brand of sleeve that is fits right? or a set size I should look for?
I'll have to grab sleeves and markers when I get the Oboros Heavy.

Hordes is good, I far prefer it over Warmachine. The simple changes to the whole warcaster/warlock and the way it plays with the warbeasts/machines in Hordes is far superior imo. I prefer the Warmachine style with the steam powered mechs, but I really found Hordes to be the better version of the game because of those core rule differences. After playing Hordes, Warmachine armies feel so much more limited and constrained.

Standard US style CCG sleeves should be fine (kind used for Magic, not Yugioh)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So this is probably the intent of the Battle box, but I started going thru the themes in the War Room app and on http://www.forwardkommander.com/ and it would appear that they've included the "Wrong" Warlock with the units in the Legion set..(haven't gone thru Orboros yet)

For legion the default units don't give any theme bonus's and add up to 27points..
Man these games just feed into a min-maxing OCD mindset.

It seems based on the available themes that
Thagrosh,Prophet of Everblight with the Army of Annihilation makes the most sense. tho of coarse this requires further investment

So here are few builds which I admit are totally ignorant, zero experience builds that maximize tiers..I'm assuming thats worthy pursuit.
So Legion of Everblight

for 15 points. goes to 3rd Tier bonus's

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight(need warlock)
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 2 Grunts)
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 2 Grunts)(need one more Warspear or proxy..maybe a warmonger )
Spawning Vessel (Leader and 3 Grunts) (need unit set)
Warmonger War Chief(need unit)

Then for 25 points
add in a Carnivean -minus 1 shredder or use Ravagor/Scythean no other changes still gets to 3rd Tier

For 35 points which brings to 4th Tier
add in a second Heavy ravagor/Scythean

Anyone backing DreadBall? I'm not huge on Mantics stuff but it seems like it could be fun and I really got an itch for a game like this after football this past Sunday. Just seems kinda expensive... well because I would want all the teams lol

$150 for the game with 4 full teams and bunch of extras..... and then extra teams will be $25 each from what I can tell? Not sure I find it hard to understand how they hanle the extra teams since it says you only get 8 figs but then mentions buy one get one free with another price of $25 or $20? Huh? Also I really love the look of that modular acrylic game board but that's another $80.....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-the-futuristic-sports-game

Or my other option is to just head to GW and buy up a bunch of the blood bowl teams I never got lol

So this is probably the intent of the Battle box, but I started going thru the themes in the War Room app and on http://www.forwardkommander.com/ and it would appear that they've included the "Wrong" Warlock with the units in the Legion set..(haven't gone thru Orboros yet)

Yea starter sets are just the dealer giving a free sample to us junkies. Most warlock/casters have optimal builds and unit combinations that are no brainers. When you use a different caster with certain units, some hardcore players will just look at you funny it feels.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yea starter sets are just the dealer giving a free sample to us junkies. Most warlock/casters have optimal builds and unit combinations that are no brainers. When you use a different caster with certain units, some hardcore players will just look at you funny it feels.

Those sneaky marketing buggers.
Orboros is the same thing.
With the units in the Battlebox Kaya the Moonhunter makes more sense.

15 of 15 point with Tier 2 bonus's
Kaya the Moonhunter & Laris
Warpwolf Stalker
Warpborn Skinwalkers (Leader and 4 Grunts)

25points with Tier 3
Argus
Feral Warpwolf
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts)

35 Points with Teir 4
Winter Argus
Feral Warpwolf
Pureblood Warpwolf
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Shifting Stones

oh well looks like I might have to work some overtime to pick up the missing units. LOL

Leunam

Got a few games of X-Wing in this weekend. This is what the play area looked like between games as we set up our squadrons:

CfrIhl.jpg

No battle report but I can give some impressions.

-Rules are easy to understand and pick up.
-You get three attack and three agility dice. You may actually need four or more of each.
-Rebels are well armed and armored, but they are quite slow. Imperials are really nimble but lack shields (TIE Advanced has shields, though).
-The Y-Wing is a freaking tank. Three shield points and five hull points. Complete all around firing mode for its Ion Cannon as well. But man is it slow.
-The individual characters are pretty unique from one another. I'll probably take Wedge Antilles nearly every time when putting together a Rebel force.
-Miniatures are great. They're basically plastic that gets dipped in black ink/wash with some details painted on. I have three X-Wings now so I may paint the red squadron markings blue just to add some individuality to it.
-There are quite a few tokens to keep track of (lock-on, stress, damage, shields, focus, etc.). We found it easier to keep some of the tokens next to the pilot cards rather than near the bases.

Very fun game. I'll be grabbing more ships as soon as I can.

Yea the Y-Wing is a beast and the Ion Cannon turret I find almost broken. While slow makes it easier to take damage, if you put the droid in the ship that regens shields... yeowch. I really think the range on the Ion turret to be shorter. The Imperials I find at a disadvantage IMO due to their firepower being so low currently since both the Tie and Advanced only do 2 attack. I really expect things to change quite a bit when the Tie/I comes out with it's attack of 3. Because right now taking down Y-Wings really requires a group effort. Imps have to make use of all their team abilities from their leaders and stuff like swarm card.

Great game though, really can't wait for next wave of ships. Also saw ton of copies of X-Wing at Target this weekend already.

Leunam

Swarm tactics are a huge deal. I need to take another look at the cards again to figure out where I can find more synergies for the squad.

Swarm tactics are a huge deal. I need to take another look at the cards again to figure out where I can find more synergies for the squad.

Theres the one Imp pilot thats real good also that lets others share stats or such, forgot how it exactly is worded but yea it's nice.

Wedge is awesome indeed, I had major luck with him too, he was able to take out a Tie in one shot due to amazing rolls. Had him slap around Vader too which was funny.

Was also thinking of getting some more fighters to repaint like to add the green markings on the X-Wing to create Corran Horn's fighter.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yea the Y-Wing is a beast and the Ion Cannon turret I find almost broken. While slow makes it easier to take damage, if you put the droid in the ship that regens shields... yeowch. I really think the range on the Ion turret to be shorter. The Imperials I find at a disadvantage IMO due to their firepower being so low currently since both the Tie and Advanced only do 2 attack. I really expect things to change quite a bit when the Tie/I comes out with it's attack of 3. Because right now taking down Y-Wings really requires a group effort. Imps have to make use of all their team abilities from their leaders and stuff like swarm card.

Great game though, really can't wait for next wave of ships. Also saw ton of copies of X-Wing at Target this weekend already.

Same. I was half intrigued, but I have nobody to play this with. As such, I frowned and walked by.

Ohnonono

Cross posted from Boardgame GAF but I had a Marvel VS. Capcom TE Fightstick sitting around that was barely used and I took it up to my FLGS to donate to their game room they are building for people to play stuff with. The owner, who is a super nice guy insisted on trading me some games for it. So now I have X-Wing, one of each expansion ship and an extra TIE expansion. Game seems very fun and easy enough to teach no non-war game types. (AKA. It should be easier to get people to play this than my Lock N' Load games.) Hopefully Sat. night I should have 3 or 4 people to teach it to and play with!

Cross posted from Boardgame GAF but I had a Marvel VS. Capcom TE Fightstick sitting around that was barely used and I took it up to my FLGS to donate to their game room they are building for people to play stuff with. The owner, who is a super nice guy insisted on trading me some games for it. So now I have X-Wing, one of each expansion ship and an extra TIE expansion. Game seems very fun and easy enough to teach no non-war game types. (AKA. It should be easier to get people to play this than my Lock N' Load games.) Hopefully Sat. night I should have 3 or 4 people to teach it to and play with!

Yea I think it works great as an intro mini game, while it still having lots of depth potential. Mixing Star Wars and Wings of War was brilliant. Have gotten bunch of friends to buy into it already.

I hope it gets a lot of support. They could do simple quick expansions by just releasing card packs too. Wings of War did that with some of their ace pilot sets and such.

Ohnonono

Yea I think it works great as an intro mini game, while it still having lots of depth potential. Mixing Star Wars and Wings of War was brilliant. Have gotten bunch of friends to buy into it already.

I hope it gets a lot of support. They could do simple quick expansions by just releasing card packs too. Wings of War did that with some of their ace pilot sets and such.

Millennium Falcon, Slave 1, Tie Interceptor, and A-Wing are all announced and should be out by Christmas at least. MF and Slave 1 are both medium sized ships and are actually to scale with the ships released so far. So the base and the ships are a bit bigger. Slave 1 also comes with a new scenario. You are right about card expansions too though. Cheap way to give new options to people. In the rulebook it also has a sorta called out section where it says to expect HUGE things to come. I'm not sure how/if they will keep it to scale but I would love some Star Destroyers and Mon Cals!

Also if they don't eventually give me Rogue Squadron EU cards I will scream!

Fou-Lu

I wish it wasn't so hard to convince Warhammer players to try other games. I don't want to have to rebuy into 40k to play with my friends! So many other games I find more enjoyable, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity, etc.

Millennium Falcon, Slave 1, Tie Interceptor, and A-Wing are all announced and should be out by Christmas at least. MF and Slave 1 are both medium sized ships and are actually to scale with the ships released so far. So the base and the ships are a bit bigger. Slave 1 also comes with a new scenario. You are right about card expansions too though. Cheap way to give new options to people. In the rulebook it also has a sorta called out section where it says to expect HUGE things to come. I'm not sure how/if they will keep it to scale but I would love some Star Destroyers and Mon Cals!

Also if they don't eventually give me Rogue Squadron EU cards I will scream!

Yea we covered those earlier ;)

Was at SW Celebration and saw the new ships in person, they look fantastic.

Doubt we will see any ships bigger than Corvettes as a isd to scale would be the size of a kitchen table. Unless they decide to break scale.

I wish it wasn't so hard to convince Warhammer players to try other games. I don't want to have to rebuy into 40k to play with my friends! So many other games I find more enjoyable, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity, etc.

Yea, some gamers are real hostile about it too at some stores. They feel threatened to lose table space to other games.

Yea we covered those earlier ;)

Was at SW Celebration and saw the new ships in person, they look fantastic.

Doubt we will see any ships bigger than Corvettes as a isd to scale would be the size of a kitchen table. Unless they decide to break scale.
Maybe the ISD could be printed on a map, and exist as part of an attacker/defender scenario.

I'd be pretty turned off if they broke scale.

Leunam

One thing I would like in X-Wing is a 'tailing' mechanic. In Aeronautica Imperialis, if you have an enemy in your front firing arc and within one range band, you can tail them. What this means is that after movement cards are revealed, you can do a pilot skill check and change your movement card to whatever your opponent chose, provided it's a legal maneuver for your tailing vehicle. I may try and house rule this next time we play.

My suggestion would be to teach them Necromunda. It takes place in the 40k universe, so they can proxy some models. The real, sinister purpose is to get them hooked on skirmish level games. From there you can get them into Infinity or Malifaux.

Maybe the ISD could be printed on a map, and exist as part of an attacker/defender scenario.

I'd be pretty turned off if they broke scale.

Yea I want them to keep scale and printing it in some form could be an idea. I could see them doing a death star trench run table mat or something too.

These are my UCS Lego star destroyers for some scale consideration:
7997821494_65f4b31fc5_z.jpg

Almost 3 foot long the ISD is and as you can see from the Corvette fig for comparison, fighters would be tiny in lego form. Now to be in scale with X-Wing minis, it would probably need to be about 9-10 feet long

I'm thinking about getting into painting either Warhammer 40k or Warmachine. What should I buy if I am just getting into this? I'm not looking for model recommendations, but the supplies I would need.

Also, whats a trustworthy website that I can buy models cheap or reasonably priced?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So I've got the majority of the battlebox assembled and glued together except the Large warbeasts.
I'm waiting the LFGS to get some 1/8th magnets in stock to magnetize them.

Anyone have experience magnetizing them?
For the Warpwolf and Carnivean I'm assuming 1/8th by 1/16th magnets are the best sizes?
As well both bases don't Have slots so I'm assuming its necessary to pin the big ones to/thru the large plastic base?

I've just been using a hobby knife to scrape and cut the excess mold lines clean.
I haven't attached the spears yet to the warspears units,since most are bent..how exactly do you straighten them out?
I tried running under hot water then cold but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyways thanks for any tips.

Looking forward to getting them to at least a fully based and primed state so we can start playing.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm thinking about getting into painting either Warhammer 40k or Warmachine. What should I buy if I am just getting into this? I'm not looking for model recommendations, but the supplies I would need.

Also, whats a trustworthy website that I can buy models cheap or reasonably priced?

I think these two articles on Reapers are pretty good place to start.
http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/32
http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/37

On a personal note I've just been painting Boardgame mini's for the last few months.
I've been happy with The Army Painter brand of brush's and tools, Colored primer and Dip.
If your new to painting in general I'd recommend giving their products a look..if your an experienced artist in general..your skills are probably past that level

in the states it sounds like miniaturemarket.com is a pretty good online retailer

So I've got the majority of the battlebox assembled and glued together except the Large warbeasts.
I'm waiting the LFGS to get some 1/8th magnets in stock to magnetize them.

Anyone have experience magnetizing them?
For the Warpwolf and Carnivean I'm assuming 1/8th by 1/16th magnets are the best sizes?
As well both bases don't Have slots so I'm assuming its necessary to pin the big ones to/thru the large plastic base?

I've just been using a hobby knife to scrape and cut the excess mold lines clean.
I haven't attached the spears yet to the warspears units,since most are bent..how exactly do you straighten them out?
I tried running under hot water then cold but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyways thanks for any tips.

Looking forward to getting them to at least a fully based and primed state so we can start playing.

For plastic figs like in the 2 player starter, you shouldn't have to worry about sizes of magnets or having to pit anything. Pinning really is only needed for pewter or heavy resin parts. Plastic figs just are very light and a good super glue will hold them perfectly tight. And rare earth magnets if you use those are quite powerful so with plastic arm swaps and such it's pretty easy and just use whatever size works best for what your trying to connect. For attaching big figs through base, usually slowly drill a hole through a base with a drill or just use a hobby knife slowly in a circular motion till the peg slides in yet remains tight.

Yea usually heating up plastic to remold bent parts then putting under cold should help. If hot water is not working, perhaps try a hot hair blow dryer to heat up the part carefully to reshape, careful not to melt it.

I really not a big fan of Privateer Press plastics, as it's not as strong as GW's and it's more of a resin mixture it seems.

If you are new to it, I always recommend a person buy some cheap figs such as generic reaper fantasy figures at a local game store. They make good cheap practice figs and you can get cheap acrylic paints at most hobby shops like Micheals or Joanns that are much cheaper than the high end model paints sold at specialty stores. Stay away from overly cheap brush kits with plastic looking bristles, find nice soft brush sets that you can also find in any art supply store. Practice painting some of the cheap stuff and then consider upgrading your figs and supplies to your preference.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member

For legion the default units don't give any theme bonus's and add up to 27points..
Man these games just feed into a min-maxing OCD mindset.

Man it is nice to see some Warma/Hordes talk here on GAF as a player who recently got sucked back into the game I'll share some insight. Bear in mind that I'm a mainly Warmachine player so things are a little different on my side of the fence. As far as the Hordes v. Warmachine debate I think the biggest difference is do you want to play giant beasts or awesome infantry. Warmachine infantry is amazing and their warcasters are generally a lot stronger than Hordes. However Horde Heavies are awesome and warmachine can only dream of take 3-5 jacks in a list.

So advice, First don't get drawn into the themes, at least not yet. I started the same way as you looking at theme lists for my favorite casters and planning out what I wanted to buy. The problem I have with most theme forces is that they require 2 units of something, Some are easier to hit than others, ( absylonia for Legion). In general I would personally rather have one of every unit or beast before I start buying/assembling/painting a second group of 5-10 models. Also a lot of the themes tend to skew your list really heavy into one area, and keep in mind that not all theme lists are created equal the game isn't balanced that way (if you need an examble look at Retribution's theme lists they are largely unplayable). The game is generally agreed to be balanced once you hit the 50 point level. I usually play 35 pts but you can get some impossible matchups at that level.

The best thing I can say for a new player is to listen to some of the awesome podcast's out there. There are some great faction overview episodes from sites like Muse on Mini's and Gut's and Gears just to name a couple. These are great for giving you a feel for the faction and will help you decide where you want to go with your purchases. I recently switched to a new faction and did this before I purchased anything and I was able to buy the units I needed for two solid lists and this way I don't have a lot of extra crap gathering dust.

As far as things you need to buy. I think the faction book is a better first purchase in most cases before the card deck, they usually have all the same info but also have some great painting tips for each faction and lots of cool fluff. Also with war room out you can spend $7 to get every card released for your chosen faction and all future releases too.

The only time I've wished I had the cards was when I was proxying but now with war room out I don't see much need for the cards since each model comes with it's own cards for you to use.

If your new to mini's in general I would highly suggest you get some kind of carrying case, I am so happy I bit the bullet and bought mine, it makes my life so much easier.

Ok so I think I am done rambling if you have anymore questions I'll throw out my input welcome to the game it's a ton of fun.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
For plastic figs like in the 2 player starter, you shouldn't have to worry about sizes of magnets or having to pit anything. Pinning really is only needed for pewter or heavy resin parts. Plastic figs just are very light and a good super glue will hold them perfectly tight. And rare earth magnets if you use those are quite powerful so with plastic arm swaps and such it's pretty easy and just use whatever size works best for what your trying to connect. For attaching big figs through base, usually slowly drill a hole through a base with a drill or just use a hobby knife slowly in a circular motion till the peg slides in yet remains tight.

Ok thats good to know I'll try just superglueing the Carnivean and Feral Warpwolf's to their bases.

Yea usually heating up plastic to remold bent parts then putting under cold should help. If hot water is not working, perhaps try a hot hair blow dryer to heat up the part carefully to reshape, careful not to melt it.

I think I'll try adding some boiling hot to a large bowl of Hot tapwater(ours isn't very hot)
and a few icecubes to a bowl of cold water and see if I can't get them to straighten out.

Thx for input

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Man it is nice to see some Warma/Hordes talk here on GAF as a player who recently got sucked back into the game I'll share some insight. do you want to play giant beasts or awesome infantry.
Awesome the more insight from experienced players the better, right now I'm like a drug addict with a Gold Card.
Oh and definitely Monsters..if there was a popular mini's game that revolved around Gothic Horror, Lovecraftian etc I'd not be able to stop buying.
Someone really needs to make a Monster Hunter International Game.

So advice, First don't get drawn into the themes, at least not yet. I started the same way as you looking at theme lists for my favorite casters and planning out what I wanted to buy. The problem I have with most theme forces is that they require 2 units of something, Some are easier to hit than others, ( absylonia for Legion). In general I would personally rather have one of every unit or beast before I start buying/assembling/painting a second group of 5-10 models. Also a lot of the themes tend to skew your list really heavy into one area, and keep in mind that not all theme lists are created equal the game isn't balanced that way (if you need an examble look at Retribution's theme lists they are largely unplayable). The game is generally agreed to be balanced once you hit the 50 point level. I usually play 35 pts but you can get some impossible matchups at that level.
Good to know :) ...probably shouldn't have ordered all those extra mini's right off the hop..but I'm sure they'll look pretty :) Between the Battlebox and the additional I've ordered, I was trying to get complimentary figures to max 1 theme for each faction.(eKaya and pThagrosh).

The best thing I can say for a new player is to listen to some of the awesome podcast's out there. There are some great faction overview episodes from sites like Muse on Mini's and Gut's and Gears just to name a couple.

As far as things you need to buy. I think the faction book is a better first purchase in most cases before the card deck, they usually have all the same info but also have some great painting tips for each faction and lots of cool fluff. Also with war room out you can spend $7 to get every card released for your chosen faction and all future releases too.

The only time I've wished I had the cards was when I was proxying but now with war room out I don't see much need for the cards since each model comes with it's own cards for you to use.

I'll look into the two faction books for the ones I got and podcasts sound like a great Idea to hear some discussions on how to play them better.
and ya I ended up bying the War room app for each faction..seemed to be a better way to go then the cards

If your new to mini's in general I would highly suggest you get some kind of carrying case, I am so happy I bit the bullet and bought mine, it makes my life so much easier.

Ok so I think I am done rambling if you have anymore questions I'll throw out my input welcome to the game it's a ton of fun.

I have 2 caring cases ordered with the Reaper Kickstarter.
For 25bucks each it seems a no brainier, I figure I can mod a couple of the foam pieces to fit larger figures and they should be good for caring around 2 armies/factions for any skirmish/medium size games I get into.

Thx for all the advice.

Reaper cases are ok priced, though don't know if they got any better than what I've had, because the quality on their foam trays were never really good. Had many break on me with the backing coming off from their foam. But again that was years ago so don't know if their newer cases and foam are better quality.

You can also for a cheap alternative to cases just often buy the foam trays alone for a few bucks. I have so many different games and figs that I've just bought tons of trays of foam and have em stacked in a closet. When I go to game I then pull the tray of figs for the game I'm gonna play and put it in the one or two bags I have. Otherwise I would have like 20 bags for all my game collections lol. Sabol trays are usually pretty cheap to get and come in many different sizes.

Also a good cheap alternative is to get the econo boxes from Warstore: http://www.thewarstore.com/EconoBoxFigureStorage.html

Leunam

Sabol trays are what I use. Multiple thicknesses and you cut out every notch to fit each figure so most figures will fit nice and snug.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
hmm ok that sounds interesting.
I've already commited the money...but
Think I should just get one of the reaper cases instead of two and use the extra 25 bucks to get the giant Undead Dragon?

I do like the idea of just having stacks of foam in storage and swapping in out the ones I want to take with me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Think I should just get one of the reaper cases instead of two and use the extra 25 bucks to get the giant Undead Dragon?

I do like the idea of just having stacks of foam in storage and swapping in out the ones I want to take with me.

If you're creative enough, you can get foam sheets from a hobby store and cut them yourself. That's what I did when I needed extra.

And if you are into painting and such, the Undead Dragon will be a cool mini for that price.

Well the 25 for a case is pretty good price either way. They aren't horrible trays, they will be functional.

Not sure how well they would work for tray swaps. I always liked just getting the Sabol army transport bags and their foam because of the easy swapping.

If you are new to it, I always recommend a person buy some cheap figs such as generic reaper fantasy figures at a local game store. They make good cheap practice figs and you can get cheap acrylic paints at most hobby shops like Micheals or Joanns that are much cheaper than the high end model paints sold at specialty stores. Stay away from overly cheap brush kits with plastic looking bristles, find nice soft brush sets that you can also find in any art supply store. Practice painting some of the cheap stuff and then consider upgrading your figs and supplies to your preference.

The Reaper figs cost more than warhammer 40k figs at my local store, not sure why.

I've thought about what army would be fun to paint and im stuck between Tau and Eldar.

Can I get some decent websites to order from?

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
I hate to point out another mini game when you just dropped a ton on Hordes but have you seen Malifaux? I don't think they have any Cthulu style stuff yet but lots of sick looking monsters. A ton of people in my meta just picked it up or straight up switched to that game. Looks pretty cool also you use a deck of cards instead of dice to play which is kinda neat.

I don't know how much you committed to Reaper but you shouldn't have to much trouble spending that cash from the carry cases, I backed them too and there is so much good stuff to pick up. Also I don't think they are going to be sending anything out till like March which isn't exactly around the corner.

If you like the idea of swapping out trays and storage you should look into KR Multicase I picked up one of their backpacks and love it. It's super sturdy and I can fit a ton of stuff into it. But the best thing is their box systems. Whenever you order a carry case you get a super nice cardboard case that holds the foam and you just slide the box into whatever case you have. I have 2 boxes, one for my retribution army and one for my menoth. My backpack only carries on case so I just slide in whichever army I plan on using then hope on my Vespa and go. The biggest downside to KR that I've found is the boxes don't really fit any of the warma/hordes figure on huge bases ( colossals/Gargantuans/Battle Engines). They are awesome for everything else though, there are some good video reviews on youtube if you want to see how they work.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I hate to point out another mini game when you just dropped a ton on Hordes but have you seen Malifaux? I don't think they have any Cthulu style stuff yet but lots of sick looking monsters. A ton of people in my meta just picked it up or straight up switched to that game. Looks pretty cool also you use a deck of cards instead of dice to play which is kinda neat.
I considered Malifaux and Infinity, but looking at my LFGS WarmaHordes is much more active(last weekends Colossus Event was packed) and after I Paint them and besides casual play with friends I'm hoping to try playing there.
They seem to have monthly tourneys and 1 or 2 days a week that are warmahordes focused.
If it works out that they have an active Malifaux community I'll probabably look at Malifaux around Christmas

I wish Dystopian Wars took off around here. No one seems to play and the friend who bought into it with me a year ago hasn't even taken his figs out of the box

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I wish Dystopian Wars took off around here. No one seems to play and the friend who bought into it with me a year ago hasn't even taken his figs out of the box

I admit that one looks really interesting but it wasn't on there monthly event calender till Oct so wasn't sure if its popular enough for someone like me to come into so late in the game..

BKG currently has a "Call to Arms" for Dropzone Commander as well which looks all kinds of awesome. just depends if it takes off or not.

Well someone put up a pdf set of tiles to print out to create your own Trench Run table for Star Wars X-Wing: http://skeletonkeygames.rpgnow.com/product/106202/Warscapes:-Star-Base-Trench-Run

I admit that one looks really interesting but it wasn't on there monthly event calender till Oct so wasn't sure if its popular enough for someone like me to come into so late in the game..

BKG currently has a "Call to Arms" for Dropzone Commander as well which looks all kinds of awesome. just depends if it takes off or not.

Yea Dropzone is the new hotness, mainly as usual because of the kick ass looking figures. I'm tempted but keep having issues with buying into games with friends who don't keep up and just give up. I got stacks of figs of games no one is playing.

Friend who has done it to me so many times is suddenly like, hey I bought a starter for MERCS, you should get in on this!...... fucker

Thanks, but why does games workshop have a stupid rule about buying things online. Ugh... it makes it so difficult to buy anything war hammer related for me.

Yea but most places you can just call and order anything you want, they will take care of it. For the warstore I've ordered stuff before and then in the comments tell them to just add gw product codes to your order and they will get back to you with the add on or just charge the extra to your cc.

It's one of many reasons GW has built lot of ill will with the community, such stupid practices

Yea but most places you can just call and order anything you want, they will take care of it. For the warstore I've ordered stuff before and then in the comments tell them to just add gw product codes to your order and they will get back to you with the add on or just charge the extra to your cc.

It's one of many reasons GW has built lot of ill will with the community, such stupid practices

I have to agree with the community. Its dumb to not allow places to show prices or pictures. I found a set on amazon for around 25, a tau fire warrior set I think I'm gonna start with. I like the look of the tau army.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I found a wonderful 2 brush blending tutorial and link to discussion that shows progression from start to finish. Its like a lightbulb went off I have to try this technique for my highlighting.

Its possible this link was posted before and I missed it but if not I figure it would help.
The main thing thats easy to miss is that throught out the videos the painter is using 2 brushes.
One that applies the paint then another with just water thats moist but not sopping wet.

So if you watch and see she/he applies some paint to shade or highlight then uses water brush to drag along the edge of the paint and this creates a capillary effect out that creates a nice blend.
Very exciting I have to practice this this weekend.
Heres link to discussion
http://studiomcvey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/120-a-modest-sedition-wars-project-log/
and heres link to first video tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=cw6QjE2a7A0

Leunam

So rather than work up from darker tones to light you blend into the shade. Interesting. This probably works the other way around, too. I picked up a Reaper mini the other day with a lot of skin showing so I'll definitely give it a try this weekend if I have time.

Top Bottom