• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Will finally be painting a little bit for only the 2nd time this month due to how much I've spent with the girlfriend. So, its going to be a nice nd relaxing time (albeit lonely) evening for me. lol

oktarb

I wonder how 3d printing will effect the world of miniatures. I'm fairly excited about DIY models.

It will have impact but you still need artists that can design. I sure as hell couldn't make this in a 3D app and then try to print it.

m1970136a_Blog120911_11.jpg

Mostly I think it will be great for modding.

oktarb

Will finally be painting a little bit for only the 2nd time this month due to how much I've spent with the girlfriend. So, its going to be a nice nd relaxing time (albeit lonely) evening for me. lol

We should get another paint off going. I've finally carved some time out for feb and set my table back up.

Jube3

What kind of art do you usually do (I'm assuming you're a professional artist)?

I'm a graphic designer so mostly just digital. I got into model building last year as a hobby (gunpla and model cars) and started painting miniatures this month.

When they can improve the smaller detail quality, I'm sure it will be big. Right now to me only larger vehicle models look acceptable, but infantry models lose ton of detail. I'm sure GW especially is shitting themselves at the prospects for the future as 3D printing gets better and cheaper.

It would be interesting to see them embrace it, like a PLA line from gamesworkshop, a site where they sold models or a GW branded 3D printer.

It will have impact but you still need artists that can design. I sure as hell couldn't make this in a 3D app and then try to print it.

m1970136a_Blog120911_11.jpg

Mostly I think it will be great for modding.

There are sites like www.thingiverse.com where people upload 3D models for others to print. I could see that taking off or a site where people design models and sell them for a few bucks. That mammoth looks awesome, what is it called?

Im very excited at the idea of getting into 40k. Frankly the only downside is finding other players in my area(Ft Myers FL). Any suggestions for a newbie? I can't make up my mind on which army to pick.

oktarb

Im very excited at the idea of getting into 40k. Frankly the only downside is finding other players in my area(Ft Myers FL). Any suggestions for a newbie? I can't make up my mind on which army to pick.

If you're like me my friend base is very hard to get interested in playing. they love the world and the concept but the investment of painting and buying drives them away faster than a fart in a car. Coupled with the ease and access of video gaming, table top gaming is a hard sell.

If you do try to temp current friends but the starter box set and paint them yourself using a speed paint guide. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod830852

If your friends are a no go try a local game shop. It can be tough depending on the personality types that go there. Some web-sites try to hook up players but I've had zero success with those. I end up painting more for joy than gaming :p

Well first off, which army looks coolest to you?

Space wolves and Dark Angels, I really love reading 40k novels. IG seem badass but my buddy mentioned they have few viable builds.

If you're like me my friend base is very hard to get interested in playing. they love the world and the concept but the investment of painting and buying drives them away faster than a fart in a car. Coupled with the ease and access of video gaming, table top gaming is a hard sell.

If you do try to temp current friends but the starter box set and paint them yourself using a speed paint guide. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod830852

If your friends are a no go try a local game shop. It can be tough depending on the personality types that go there. Some web-sites try to hook up players but I've had zero success with those. I end up painting more for joy than gaming :p

Thanks I'll check it out :D

Space wolves and Dark Angels, I really love reading 40k novels. IG seem badass but my buddy mentioned they have few viable builds.
Both Space Wolves and Dark Angels are strong armies. Note, though, that the new Dark Angels codex's strength isn't in Deathwing or Ravenwing, but the other stuff. Vanilla Marines will get a lot of the same benefits (cheaper, more customizable) when they get an update.

IG are badass and I don't know what this talk is about only having a few viable builds. AV 14 tanks are crazy good right now, they have great air, infantry, etc. I think you'll find IG infantry to be the #1 thing people use allies for.

You should absolutely get the army you like the best thematically/visually, because you'll spend more time working on them than using them, at least for a while.

If it helps, the strongest rumors for the next several months point to Daemons, Tau, then Eldar for upcoming codices. Tau and Eldar are unlikely to become as easy to use as marines and guard are for newbies, and I think the whole "win big or lose big" dynamic of Daemons needs to change in the next codex before I would recommend them.

Leunam

All great choices with great range of models. Any particular style you're going for? Lots of troops, lots of vehicles? Really shooty or lots of close combat? Fast or defensive?

All great choices with great range of models. Any particular style you're going for? Lots of troops, lots of vehicles? Really shooty or lots of close combat? Fast or defensive?

I'm looking for a fast army, mostly for maneuvering. Mind you my exposure to 40k consists of books and pc games. I loved deep striking with terminators.

Dark Angels is also now the current rage with its new book and models.

Do you not have any local stores that play near Fort Myers?

Sadly I have not found any. I'll probably order minis and paint from amazon or GWs main site

Leunam

I'm looking for a fast army, mostly for maneuvering. Mind you my exposure to 40k consists of books and pc games. I loved deep striking with terminators.

Haven't reviewed the new Dark Angels Codex enough to give an informed answer, but if DoubleWing (Deathwing and Ravenwing combined) is still viable that may be something you could look into.

Sadly I have not found any. I'll probably order minis and paint from amazon or GWs main site

Eldar seem your style, or Blood Angels. Do not order anything from GW. Plenty of sites give 20+% off of GW products. I'm on my phone so cannot link. Someone else tag in and help save this dude some cash!

Weird. IG must be one of the most powerful armies at the moment, and there are loads of builds. Armoured company, masses of troops, air cav, or a mix of all of them, it's all good. I'd have thought the Elysian Drop Troops might be somewhat appealing to you.

The general rule of thumb is that the more your army relies on maneuvering, the more the skill you'll need to use that army effectively. There's nothing wrong with starting out that way, it will make you a better player, but you'll just need to expect a steeper learning curve to winning.

Dark Eldar are a good fast army right now, a solid list if you focus on mass firepower (you'll find a need for shooting power over assault with pretty much any army right now). My understanding of the current state of affairs for regular Eldar is that their foot lists are good, but take a lot of skill to make work. Their best units (Warwalkers, jetbikes, Farseers/warlocks) can be allied into another force. Dark Eldar with allied Eldar is fairly popular.

You can take flyers, drop-pods, and bikes with marines and get right in peoples' faces too. For ground transports though, stick with Land Raiders for survivability.

You should absolutely get the army you like the best thematically/visually, because you'll spend more time working on them than using them, at least for a while.

This. I wouldn't worry too much about what people say about army builds, definitely don't let it put you off playing the army you really like the look of. Some people play certain armies better than others. Books are re-written and added to over time, the tournament meta changes, 'net lists' change. Building an army is a personal thing and quite a time investment, better to pick the one that appeals to you the most, get a few minis together, and learn how to play with it rather than chasing whatever the currently most powerful army list is (which can be expensive, and you won't necessarily get the intricacies of the lists well enough to be successful with them).

So I noticed there are 40k DnD style books published. Is it common to use tabletop units as minis for these games? I've been dying to DM a campaign again.

Leunam

MND9Ma3.png

Decided I'm going to go with this color scheme for my Necrons. I'm not liking the metallic joints so I'm going to go with a dark grey instead. This guy isn't finished yet - still needs some highlights - but it's given me a chance to test out the new theme.

MND9Ma3.png

Decided I'm going to go with this color scheme for my Necrons. I'm not liking the metallic joints so I'm going to go with a dark grey instead. This guy isn't finished yet - still needs some highlights - but it's given me a chance to test out the new theme.

It looks fantastic.

Keasar

UPS dropped by just now with a really big (and holy shit heavy) box at work.

Now I just gotta order some glue, file and cutting tools so I can put these togheter, maybe when i get a little more brave also some paint.

Risible

Keasar

Some special reason? Cause I have had these small doubts about that I perhaps jumped the gun a bit with this game. :p

Just forgot I bought it and I got way to many figs in my backlog. Game sounded promising and figs look ok, but I was likely going to shelve it for some time along with the ton of other figs I got collecting dust.

Keasar

Just forgot I bought it and I got way to many figs in my backlog. Game sounded promising and figs look ok, but I was likely going to shelve it for some time along with the ton of other figs I got collecting dust.

Right. A little worried the same might happen with it. Gonna read the rules and see what I think about it and if it might be worthwhile to keep.

oktarb

Just bought the Warhammer 40K Dark Vengeance box set. Now to wrangle a friend or two to play. Speed painting here I come.

Just bought the Warhammer 40K Dark Vengeance box set. Now to wrangle a friend or two to play. Speed painting here I come.

I just bought this today as well. Holy shit, what a great box set. I am super impressed by the price and quality. Too bad GW pricing is not this consistant for the entire hobby because I would jump in with both feet. As it stands now, I may keep an eye out for deals on other copies of this set. I got mine for 75$ and I would buy at least one more at that price for the minis alone. I cannot say enough good things about the minis.

Jube3

That looks like a pretty awesome set, are there any similar quality sets you would recommend for other factions/races?

That looks like a pretty awesome set, are there any similar quality sets you would recommend for other factions/races?

Just any of the old starter sets would be good if you can find em anymore. But they only have one starter set like that out at a time. Older box sets often go up in value with time too.

oktarb

Ya I'd have to say this is the best starter set from them by miles. The models are detailed and the simple rule books and tutorial booklet are full color. First time in a long time where I felt I got my monies worth from Games Workshop.

They should really keep doing these but with like an expansion feel.

Ya I'd have to say this is the best starter set from them by miles. The models are detailed and the simple rule books and tutorial booklet are full color. First time in a long time where I felt I got my monies worth from Games Workshop.

They should really keep doing these but with like an expansion feel.

It's a shame that the actual chaos release is not nearly as good as the dark vengeance models.

Maybe you're referring to something I missed. i thought these new fantasy Chaos figs were pretty nice.

I was referring to the chaos marine release, dishonorable mention goes to Mutilators, Dark Apostle, and Helldrake

The WoC release however, are solid overall aside from the chariots. I personally love the vortex beast and the lords.

oktarb

I was referring to the chaos marine release, dishonorable mention goes to Mutilators, Dark Apostle, and Helldrake

The WoC release however, are solid overall aside from the chariots. I personally love the vortex beast and the lords.

Ya that Helldrake looks like it was sculpted by somebody that went to stain-glass school for 10 years...and failed.

Holy fucking balls.

I am going to have so many valk minis.

Good way to get some unseen minis in scale for BT but dayum

Yea that's what I was thinking, I can see ton of people picking them up and rebasing them possibly for btech unseen.

I don't have faith in the rules for the game simply due to all the other Robotech products so far from them having been awful, but heck yea for minis!

And be cool if they expand to the different eras of Robotech for more variety.

I recently started playing D&D and need some help. I'm looking for a miniature that would fit with the Dragonborn race, but i can't find one that I like. any suggestions? is there a mini from a game other than D&D that i could use? i'm a barbarian type, so I can't use wizard robes, staffs, or magic stuff.

I recently started playing D&D and need some help. I'm looking for a miniature that would fit with the Dragonborn race, but i can't find one that I like. any suggestions? is there a mini from a game other than D&D that i could use? i'm a barbarian type, so I can't use wizard robes, staffs, or magic stuff.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dragon/latest/03513

Reaper has a lot of fantasy variety for RPG use, search through them.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
do a search for reptus on reapermini.com
its their dragonmen race for Warlords ..lots of different sculpts that might appeal
heres one for example

14099_1af.jpg

Top Bottom