• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Not pre-painted, but Reaper might have something you can use.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dragon/latest/03513

Reaper has a lot of fantasy variety for RPG use, search through them.

do a search for reptus on reapermini.com
its their dragonmen race for Warlords ..lots of different sculpts that might appeal
heres one for example

14099_1af.jpg

thanks a ton! checking em out now :)

oktarb

That was my first airbrush too (same compressor as well I think), I just recently upgraded but I still use it for base coats and larger pieces.

Ya I kinda figured I would start here, figure shit out and then upgrade. I just can't plop down 300+ bucks until I play some. The idea of priming this way really attracts me. Spray cans just go too heavy sometimes. Also doing some cheap source lighting during the base cot phase seems like a good way to get through an army quicker.

After a 2nd night of being away from the g/f and being at my place, I finally was able to sit down and do some painting. Finished my 3rd Space Wolf Wolfguard Terminator and primed & base coated an old metal Space Wolf Standard Bearer (still need to find a good banner to go with it since it's one of the ones without a banner included). Even had some time to work on an Ork Chariot with Boars & Rider.

Jube3

Picked up the Dark Vengeance starter set thanks to you guys, such an awesome looking set I can't wait to start painting tomorrow. I put them all together and drill the holes out of the gun as well as some light sanding. I think I am going to start off with the hellbrute first.

Two questions for you guys.
Is there a guide online that lists what colors to paint certain models?
Does it affect (or is it against the rules) if the scenery on a stock base is wider than normal?

Leunam

Color guide might have been in a White Dwarf, but I couldn't tell you what issue it was.

As for bases, you're supposed to use the base a model comes with or a larger base. I don't think it's a problem if there is some element that sticks out a little further, like a piece of slate for example.

EDIT: I looked at some of the models you painted on here. Great work, and bases like that shouldn't present a problem at all.

oktarb

Picked up the Dark Vengeance starter set thanks to you guys, such an awesome looking set I can't wait to start painting tomorrow. I put them all together and drill the holes out of the gun as well as some light sanding. I think I am going to start off with the hellbrute first.

Two questions for you guys.
Is there a guide online that lists what colors to paint certain models?
Does it affect (or is it against the rules) if the scenery on a stock base is wider than normal?

The January 2013 issue covers Dark Angels. That might help really if you want the definative guide to color scheme get the Space marine Codex. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NH1W8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or you can look at this map http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-07-1000-chapters.shtml

Half the fun to me is making your own Chapter and color scheme.

Jube3

The January 2013 issue covers Dark Angels. That might help really if you want the definative guide to color scheme get the Space marine Codex. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NH1W8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or you can look at this map http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-07-1000-chapters.shtml

Half the fun to me is making your own Chapter and color scheme.

Thanks for the info guys!

Here's my WIP on the hellbrute, the eyes need to be redone badly and I have to touch up a ton of areas where my paint didnt go on clean. Also have to add highlights to the gold and clean up some of the wash on the red armor pieces that went on too thick. The water/mud in the base was still drying when I snapped pic but it should look close to the Maulerfiend once its dry. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow:
8460481935_2cb34bbf30_z.jpg

oktarb

Thanks for the info guys!

Here's my WIP on the hellbrute, the eyes need to be redone badly and I have to touch up a ton of areas where my paint didnt go on clean. Also have to add highlights to the gold and clean up some of the wash on the red armor pieces that went on too thick. The water/mud in the base was still drying when I snapped pic but it should look close to the Maulerfiend once its dry. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow:
8460481935_2cb34bbf30_z.jpg

Nice job! Chaos needs to be a little dirty so no need to shine that gold up too much. I actually like the dark eyeless eyes on the head. The blue eyes look a little flat so maybe some small highlight focus spot there :D

I jealous. I have the same Dark Vengeance set and I haven't even finished my first terminator yet. Truing a dark blue color scheme and it's giving me trouble. I find dark color far harder.

Jube3

Nice job! Chaos needs to be a little dirty so no need to shine that gold up too much. I actually like the dark eyeless eyes on the head. The blue eyes look a little flat so maybe some small highlight focus spot there :D

I jealous. I have the same Dark Vengeance set and I haven't even finished my first terminator yet. Truing a dark blue color scheme and it's giving me trouble. I find dark color far harder.

Thanks man, yea it wont be too bright but I want it to look a bit cleaner. I have Vallejo Liquid gold set coming in tomorrow so I'm excited to try that out and see what it looks like. I think I might do the terminators next but not sure what color to paint them, I do like how they look on the box art.

I finished the Ravenwing bike squad from Dark Vengeance tonight, I learned a lot about hand brushing so its not perfect but Im happy with it. I'll probably revisit this when I get a little better at smooth coats with a brush or get a better air brush.

8472335093_20da26c150_b.jpg

I saw a tutorial today on youtube from a guy named SchnauzerFaceMinis for the base so I decided to give that a try, it uses cork bark from a pet store cut up to make the terrain. Cost me about 3 bucks for a small piece, have enough for probably 3-4 other bases from that piece.

oktarb

I'm going to test out my new airbrush for the first time. Anyone have any experience with these? Do they stink up the house? I'm worried about particles and smell getting every where. I have a porch but you know its cold out there.

I'm going to test out my new airbrush for the first time. Anyone have any experience with these? Do they stink up the house? I'm worried about particles and smell getting every where. I have a porch but you know its cold out there.

They can be messy, especially while learning. I highly suggest wearing surgical gloves. I built a box so I can spray at my desk which is basically a box on it's side that I can stick my hands in comfortably and still see what I am doing. Generally in this hobby we are not dealing with large volumes of paint, so the box works fine for me. Just make sure you get light in there to see what you're doing. You should not be painting in cold weather anyway, so keep it indoors!

Smell is not an issue, assuming it's water based paint. I wear a mask just to prevent inhaling fine paint particles.

I mainly suggest you practice spraying different colors on a paper plate for awhile. Swap out colors once or twice and get familiar with the correct paint consistancy as well as getting to know the brush itself and it's components. You should be able to break it down and clean it in just a few minutes once you are comfortable with it. Btw, be super super careful with the needle. It's fucking deadly!

Good luck and post results!

Jube3

You'll want to do it a well ventilated area if possible. As for the smell It depends on the type of paint you use, I don't use the lacquer stuff like Mr Hobby or some of the model master stuff indoors since they have a really strong smell (especially that Mr. Hobby stuff) and I don't have a spray booth yet. I spray Tamiya and vallejo game/air color at what is now my hobby desk (which looks like this atm). When I airbrush I lay some paper towels on top of my cutting mat and spray on top of that. I also wear a mask as I don't want to breathe in any of it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Not sure if anyones into the Steampunk Gothic genre but if you are
Empire of the Dead has started up a kickstarter yesterday thats off to a good start.

Empire of the Dead: REQUIEM

For me I love Gaslight and Victorian Gothic Horror so its an easy buy.
It looks pretty cool and for me alot of the figures seem like they'll work great as proxies in other games like Maulifaux,Western games like Blackwater Gultch or just RPGs.

edit: heres a good summary about the system on youtube
Empire of the Dead - Overview

Jube3

Not sure if anyones into the Steampunk Gothic genre but if you are
Empire of the Dead has started up a kickstarter yesterday thats off to a good start.

Empire of the Dead: REQUIEM

For me I love Gaslight and Victorian Gothic Horror so its an easy buy.
It looks pretty cool and for me alot of the figures seem like they'll work great as proxies in other games like Maulifaux,Western games like Blackwater Gultch or just RPGs.

edit: heres a good summary about the system on youtube
Empire of the Dead - Overview

I like the style, painting those Victorian machines could be a lot of fun. Tempted to put down for the Requiem 23+5. I always hesitate on these and end up regretting it, I'm still kicking myself for not jumping in on the Reaper Bones kickstarter.

I just picked up some Vallejo Liquid gold paints (gold, old gold, white gold, red gold and copper) and was really impressed with the gold quality. The best looking gold I've used so far (out of Tamiya golds, vallejo game & air color, citadel golds and some model master I think). Sorry for the quality, I just took a quick phone shot. I'll replace these with a better shot later.

8480735494_28246d231c_n.jpg
8480730876_d403ee4d6c_m.jpg

oktarb

I like the style, painting those Victorian machines could be a lot of fun. Tempted to put down for the Requiem 23+5. I always hesitate on these and end up regretting it, I'm still kicking myself for not jumping in on the Reaper Bones kickstarter.

I just picked up some Vallejo Liquid gold paints (gold, old gold, white gold, red gold and copper) and was really impressed with the gold quality. The best looking gold I've used so far (out of Tamiya golds, vallejo game & air color, citadel golds and some model master I think). Sorry for the quality, I just took a quick phone shot. I'll replace these with a better shot later.

Pretty smooth Gold. I'm always pondering whether or not to continue to use metallics or try the painting style that simulates metals through technique.

This is all I was able to get done over the three day weekend :p the wife wanted some family time. The lack of subtle brush strokes really show when zoomed in.

helbruteface3.jpg

Yeah, I had a niece dropped off with short notice and that pretty much blew any time I had for painting as well. It's also too cold outside right now to prime, so it's all good.

Wave 2 of the Star Wars X-Wing ships are supposed to be hitting stores around Feb 28th now. Can't wait. Getting 3 of the A-Wing and Tie/I, and one of the Falcon and Slave 1.

Leunam

Exactly what my purchase is going to be. Sucks that it got delayed, I have less time to play it now than I did back in December or so.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
abaddon-lokanp3.jpg

Loken Vs Abbadon from forge-world. Looks really nice, I wish they would hurry up with the other Primarchs though.

BattleMonkey said:
Wave 2 of the Star Wars X-Wing ships are supposed to be hitting stores around Feb 28th now. Can't wait. Getting 3 of the A-Wing and Tie/I, and one of the Falcon and Slave 1.

Is it still this Thursday in the UK?

Vhalyar

Once you go Liquid Gold, can can't go back to the simpler stuff. The only sad part is if you apply some washes, you lose most of that brilliant sheen the paint has.

Jube3

Once you go Liquid Gold, can can't go back to the simpler stuff. The only sad part is if you apply some washes, you lose most of that brilliant sheen the paint has.

Yea, I don't think I will ever go back to Tamiya or any of the other golds after this (save maybe the Alclad line). Old gold and the rest of the line look so good, very happy I picked some up. Almost finished my set of Chaos marines from the dark vengeance set, will hopefully be done this weekend with most of the box.

Pretty smooth Gold. I'm always pondering whether or not to continue to use metallics or try the painting style that simulates metals through technique.

This is all I was able to get done over the three day weekend :p the wife wanted some family time. The lack of subtle brush strokes really show when zoomed in.
Look great so far oktarb, can't wait to see the finished version. If you're up for trying a new line of gold I can't recommend the liquid gold line enough.

I know we have quite a few Chaos Players here. The Deamons update has been revealed! Like the Plague Drones and Tzeentch Chariot. Need to see the others in person before I make further judgement.

Does anyone know any good gaming clubs in the Seattle area? Last one broke up...

Mindwipe

Ooh, interesting. Looking forward to the pictures. Anyone got any examples of it post wash?

Repgnar

After taking a break from 40k for a year or two while finishing up college i'm starting back up with some Tau I had just started to collect before the break. Decided on a red and tan color scheme and all most finished up my first crisis suit. Testing the scheme out on this guy because he has a pretty static pose which I regret now. If the weather clears up tomorrow i'll put a coat on then wash it and seal it up.

http://i.imgur.com/cZAd0EM.jpg

Ra\/en

some of you guys are great painters! I have not done any warhammer stuff for about 8-9 years. I don't have the time to get back into it though :(. I have a bunch of painted stuff from back in the day which i'm tempted to post here just for fun. Some of it is from the late 90s !

Jube3

After taking a break from 40k for a year or two while finishing up college i'm starting back up with some Tau I had just started to collect before the break. Decided on a red and tan color scheme and all most finished up my first crisis suit. Testing the scheme out on this guy because he has a pretty static pose which I regret now. If the weather clears up tomorrow i'll put a coat on then wash it and seal it up.

http://i.imgur.com/cZAd0EM.jpg

That looks great man, I really like the bases too.

Ooh, interesting. Looking forward to the pictures. Anyone got any examples of it post wash?

Yea, the model below is from buypainted.

Vallejo Liquid Gold Old Gold
Video walk through here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKJwItMPRI

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/liquid-gold/family/11

is this what you guys are using with your golds?

if so, I know what im painting my space marines with

also, viewing this thread really makes me hate painting, as I know ill never be as good as some of you guys ;-;

Yea thats the paint, keep in mind you can't thin it with water or it will rust. You need to use isopropyl alcohol.

Got my X-Wing Wave 2 figs, awesome stuff, already hoping for previews for wave 3 soon. Wonder if we will even see wave 3 ship before gencon?

Think it's a lock that B-Wing and Tie Bombers will be in that set, but other than that they are running out of OT ships they can use for the game. Assume the Imperial shuttle could make an appearance as another medium class ship, but other than that, all other options for the OT are larger ships unless they start dipping into the EU. That will probably eventually happen though, the cards for the game are already full of EU references.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I wonder if they won't add in some Atmosphere ships like the Cloud Car Dual Pod ship, and the snowspeeder.
Not sure if the empire ever had any planetary ships that weren't land based tho(besides the tie bomber)..Cant recall

Mutant Chronicles is coming back! http://warzonegame.com/

Was my first true miniature game decades ago, apparently the RPG will also be coming back but this is a kick starter for the new skirmish level mini game.

I wonder if they won't add in some Atmosphere ships like the Cloud Car Dual Pod ship, and the snowspeeder.
Not sure if the empire ever had any planetary ships that weren't land based tho(besides the tie bomber)..Cant recall

In the movies no. They could do a ton with the prequel/clone wars era, but they should focus on the current era.

Jube3

Decided to take a break from the Dark Vengeance Box set and picked up the Ork Battleforce starter set. Always been a big fan of Orks so decided to start picking up some pieces.

WIP Ork Trukk: I still need to finish the ork driver and gunner, wash it, add some water slides and detail the paint weathering a bit more (as well as adding dirt to the tires).
8526714199_d9f00d60a9_b.jpg

Orks are my only remaining 40k army, always loved them and found them fun to paint since you can be a bit sloppy too and it looks fine lol. I got to be lazy with some of it since painting hundreds for the horde got annoying and boring.

How did you find the assembly of the Ork Trukk? I had immense difficulty working out where all the bits went even with the instructions! XS

Jube3

Orks are my only remaining 40k army, always loved them and found them fun to paint since you can be a bit sloppy too and it looks fine lol. I got to be lazy with some of it since painting hundreds for the horde got annoying and boring.

Yea I've always dug em, they have a great flavor about them. Makes me really miss the warhammer Online MMO. Once I finish the nobz and the bikers I am going to pick up some Ork bombers, I don't know how effective an army this will make since I've yet to play a full game haha but they look really awesome and I will enjoy having them on a shelf.

How did you find the assembly of the Ork Trukk? I had immense difficulty working out where all the bits went even with the instructions! XS

Yea not the greatest set of instructions, its went okay though. The Hood/engine ornament, the muffler and the headlight were iffy for me in terms of placement. I still find it weird how little text is included in the warhammer instructions. I'm probably gonna modify the chain later with one that will give it a bit of movement, I don't like how stiff it is.

I should be able to sit down and paint a bit on Tuesday. Will see how it goes and the fiance is a massively fun distraction from the hobby. heh

Jube3

Well you can usually screw up with ork builds and it will still look fine. It's orky

Yea learned this over the weekend, dropped an Ork I was painting into a bit of silver paint by accident and it worked out just fine haha.

So update on this, when I did my test fit it worked out okay but putting it all together was a complete pain, had to cut a piece from the backseat to get it all to sit properly but that made it so the tubing that goes from the front of the truck to the back of the cab did not sit flush. Took some work but I got it all cemented in.

Hope everyone got their X-Wing wave 2 figs, almost everywhere sold out of the fighters. Miniature market sold out of 300 of the new fighters in like two days. They got in some more today but are selling them almost at retail. The larger ships are available readily though, most don't buy multiples of those.

Leunam

Didn't manage to. Saw a few copies of the Slave 1 and Millenium Falcon but didn't see the fighters when I went by my local shop.

Didn't manage to. Saw a few copies of the Slave 1 and Millenium Falcon but didn't see the fighters when I went by my local shop.

Yea the fighters are dang sexy too. The Falcon though I saw it before at a con, still suprised me with it's massive size. Folks worried about it's scale too. Can't wait for news on next wave of ships, it's obvious this game is selling a ton with them just recently replenshing the starter box too.

Also if anyone else saw, Wizkids has licensed the exact game system from FFG to make a Star Trek version of the game: http://heroclix.com/announcements/n...ttack-wing-heroclix-board-game/#axzz2NEbdSLTC

Not exactly sure how to feel about that since the system is clearly designed around fighter combat and not naval type of ships.

I hadn't realized this game was descended from Wings of War, which I liked but found too simplistic. I'd been on the verge of getting some but finding that out tipped me over the edge.

I agree I don't think it'll work too well for battleship combat, but perhaps they've tweaked it.

Shadowof

Neo Member
Always been a fan of minitures just never had the time to get into it, not to mention the feeling of being totally lost with where to start and what I want. Im familiar with 40k from friends, might go and buy something at the shop in town. Anyone have suggestions for some space marines to start off my first set?

Top Bottom