• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

octobot

Backed at early bird level. It's closing in on $400k and it's only been an hour and a half. It's going to be an interesting 25 days!

Update: Took less than three hours to break half a million. I hope the stretch goals can keep up with this pace!

Reaper gonna have to dig deep into their catalog of minis to cover all these Bones kickstarters. Hope we start seeing much more original figs added than just reprints of old and oop minis.

I'm not a fan of the quality of some of the bones figs, some from the first were really bad because of the crappy presin like material, so skinny parts were bendy. But still for the price the value is crazy and you get so much.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
its off to a huge success so far. its broke 750k only a half day in
Heres pics of all the figures from the 100dollar pledge so far and options
pretty crazy this is only after about 8hrs

sucks that us canadians are gonna have to pay shipping and duty this time out
might have to get it sent to buffalo and pick it up myself

butu11e.jpg

and options so far
nQY1CE6.jpg

Not a fan at all of the Core Expansion idea they are doing. Rather that stuff be done as add ons or tossed into the core set. And are the stretch goals for the expansion taking up space of normal stretch goals?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya i'm not sure how that ones working..seems like a cable package lineup
"heres 4 channels you really want and we'll throw in 4 you hate for the price of 6" kind of thing

Meh, almost 300k worth of pledges period now and nothing new is being given to pledges, all stuff to buy extra.

There's a lot of time and undoubtedly an assload of extras to come, I hope it's just a momentary kickstarter design thing. It's already a pretty good value, and we've got almost a month left.

As an unrelated aside, how did Dropzone Commander work for you? I saw you picked it up like a page ago. I like the aesthetic but haven't bit, yet.

I got the starter in, but haven't dug into it. No idea when I'll get to really look into it, so many hobbies and not enough time for them all lol. And I wanted to cut back on number of miniature games I'm invested in....

I got the starter in, but haven't dug into it. No idea when I'll get to really look into it, so many hobbies and not enough time for them all lol. And I wanted to cut back on number of miniature games I'm invested in....

I feel that, man.

Moments of lucidity momentarily rendering themselves as "wait, why am I buying this?" before being drowned in "oh right, because it's awesome".

I also want to get into Dust, but I fear that might be a wallet trap; I'd also have to convince others to do the same.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Anyone know how the size of these miniatures compare to the Descent board game miniatures?

not sure exactly but I have flames of war,x-wing,hordes circle and legion faction,the dnd boardgames and the bones 1 kickstarter figures If you want I'll post a couple pics giving size comparions.

what type of figures are you curious to see the scale of?

octobot

not sure exactly but I have flames of war,x-wing,hordes circle and legion faction,the dnd boardgames and the bones 1 kickstarter figures If you want I'll post a couple pics giving size comparions.

what type of figures are you curious to see the scale of?

I can cover scale pictures for descent and descent 2 if needed

yamo

Thanks for the offers guys! But not really needed if they don't scale with the Descent minis... I was thinking about using them for custom adventures or replacing lieutenant tokens etc.

and I still got a load of minis to paint so I suppose it's all for the best! ><

octobot

Thanks for the offers guys! But not really needed if they don't scale with the Descent minis... I was thinking about using them for custom adventures or replacing lieutenant tokens etc.

and I still got a load of minis to paint so I suppose it's all for the best! ><

Do you have descent 1 or 2? They might work for 2. And for some lieutenants they could work even if they were a bit larger depending on the character

Leunam

Captain Cato Sicarius, for my Ultramarines 2nd Company:

kquX04s.png

Loved this mini since it came out years ago, but I never cared for the banner that he normally carries on his back. I lopped it off, but I may paint it eventually and stick it back on. For now, it's going into storage.

Priming with the Macragge Blue spray can makes this a lot quicker to paint, but it can really exaggerate places where I didn't paint, like on the sides of the skull emblem on the shoulder pad.

Regardless, I'm happy with how he turned out despite some clean up that is still required. Questions or comments welcome, as always.

Nice work.

And damn Bones 2 hit a huge traffic jam after such a huge opening. Think the large gaps in the stretch goals has hurt the momentum especially when they are putting such big gaps to unlock more stuff for us to pay extra for.

yamo

Do you have descent 1 or 2? They might work for 2. And for some lieutenants they could work even if they were a bit larger depending on the character

I have descent 2. But think i'm gonna pass if i'm not 100% sure they have the exact scale.. Yeah i'm picky. :p

Also just read that FFG will start selling the lieutenant figures, seem to be a rip-off price though... they are like $15 a piece here in Sweden. -_-

Well you could replace all the games figures with your own >:)

Yea the Lt figs are kinda not needed, but then they toss in a bunch of cards giving new options for the game in general that are exclusive to the packs :(

Ledsen

So yesterday I went to the local gaming club for the first time.

As soon as I got home I ordered 6 Rosemary & Co brushes and a Warhammer 40K Paint Set. Currently scouring local auction sites for 40K models.

Wish me luck.

embalm

Can someone start up a Reaper Bones KS thread? We've gotta get some new eyes on it and I think it plainly falls into the new news, new thread category.

@Gamble -
I am a terrible painter too, after a few practice minis and a few shortcuts(like dipping) you can turn out some pretty good looking stuff easily.

Gamble

Can someone start up a Reaper Bones KS thread? We've gotta get some new eyes on it and I think it plainly falls into the new news, new thread category.

@Gamble -
I am a terrible painter too, after a few practice minis and a few shortcuts(like dipping) you can turn out some pretty good looking stuff easily.

Dipping? I assume you mean like sipping the entire figure in a primer coat of sorts?

@Gamble -

Bones will have a big surge on it's last day, possibly almost as big as the first day's numbers. They just had such a huge first day and then the larger stretch goal gaps have slowed things down considerably.

Ah ok that is pretty damn cool

The results are simple and quite dramatic. A fully hand painted mini by a pro will show it's worth in comparision, but no one can argue with results fron dipping.

An airbrush can produce equally dramatic results with significantly less effort than hand painting, especially on vehicles.

Gamble

The results are simple and quite dramatic. A fully hand painted mini by a pro will show it's worth in comparision, but no one can argue with results fron dipping.

An airbrush can produce equally dramatic results with significantly less effort than hand painting, especially on vehicles.

this is slowly pushing the temptation meter in my mind is slowly tipping to "BUY SHIT!!" Mode

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I sort of want to get the Dragon and the Kraken just to practice my airbrushing on larger figures. Daaamn...

Anyone ever airbrush smaller figures? I've never tried.

embalm

I've been thinking of picking up an airbrush. Does anyone have recommendations of what to look for or brands they prefer?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've been thinking of picking up an airbrush. Does anyone have recommendations of what to look for or brands they prefer?

I love my Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.

You want three things:
  1. Gravity feed
  2. Dual-action
  3. Quality construction and reputation
Also, you'll need a decent compressor. I use a GREX silent compressor. It's amazing, super quiet, but you pay for it (I think I spent $200 on mine). They have great customer service, too. They sent me a replacement moisture tap free of charge when I accidentally broke the plastic seal.

With compressors, it just depends on where you're going to do most of your airbrushing. If noise isn't an issue, you can go cheaper cost for louder unit. If silence is golden, it creeps up in price pretty quick. Just do NOT get a shitty makeup/culinary compressor.

I sort of want to get the Dragon and the Kraken just to practice my airbrushing on larger figures. Daaamn...

Anyone ever airbrush smaller figures? I've never tried.

I find it hard to do, but use it for doing camo on small vehicles like 15mm WWII stuff, best way to get the soft edges on camo patterns. But for small figs I rather mainly paint by hand, so much easier. Airbrushes are nice for getting a very clean looking basecoat on.

I have never airbrushed before either, but I'm considering getting one for at least some larger applications.

I'd need to look up some good tutorials for it though, I'm a complete novice with them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have never airbrushed before either, but I'm considering getting one for at least some larger applications.

I'd need to look up some good tutorials for it though, I'm a complete novice with them.

Super super easy to learn. And it's seriously one of the most fun ways to paint ever - I love the smooth coats you can get.

Easiest way to learn is to paint plastic spoons!

I....that is a fucking FANTASTIC idea.

And yeah, I just bought myself an interesting garage kit that basically demands an airbrush for the base coats, and considering the one-off nature of the kit, I'm really interested to learn and not screw it up.

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to have to look into brands and info outside of just the compressor stuff above though, since I'm not entirely certain where to start.

Thanks!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2270008a

10 sisters of battle for only $80. What a great deal!

Or get these 59 miniatures and 3 vehicles for a mere $701.25. Why, that's enough for a 1,500pt army right there!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1190001a&prodId=prod2270004a

GW pricing. <3

I....that is a fucking FANTASTIC idea.

And yeah, I just bought myself an interesting garage kit that basically demands an airbrush for the base coats, and considering the one-off nature of the kit, I'm really interested to learn and not screw it up.

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to have to look into brands and info outside of just the compressor stuff above though, since I'm not entirely certain where to start.

Thanks!

Sure thing - it was eye opening when I first discovered it! I've done the model car and Gunpla thing, so when I was looking at videos online of "how to get started" with those, I noticed that people did color tests on spoons. Turns out, it's an incredibly cheap and smart way to do it! Not to mention, it's SUPER cheap, ha.

E: Also, if you have questions of sorts, feel free to ask. I spent a LOT of time researching brushes and compressors before settling on what I did. On top of that, I feel like I've gotten pretty good at airbrushing models! I just need to learn how to do smaller figures. :p

Liljagare

Good job!

I have slowly (over a 2 year period) been getting back into 40k, painted a whopping 7 minis over that time.. :p

Just wanted to say, wish they'd bring back Epic and Space Hulk with proper support.. :\ Basically practicing to paint my new Space Hulk 2008 ED.. :D

Good job!

I have slowly (over a 2 year period) been getting back into 40k, painted a whopping 7 minis over that time.. :p

Just wanted to say, wish they'd bring back Epic and Space Hulk with proper support.. : Basically practicing to paint my new Space Hulk 2008 ED.. :D

Let me know when you want to paint your Space Hulk. I'm down for a buddy project to light a fire under my butt to get that set painted.

Top Bottom