• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

I just think they're competing amongst themselves, I just see this being somewhat popular (it still is Star wars), but no where near x wing in popularity. I mean other than Home One ... what other iconic ship could they reasonably do.

I agree. Also, the price point is what allowed Xwing to take off. The $100 on this is absurd and will cause it to have a much lower adoption rate.

However, if I had Xwing I would also have this and Imperial Assualt for some amazing linked campaigns.

I just think they're competing amongst themselves, I just see this being somewhat popular (it still is Star wars), but no where near x wing in popularity. I mean other than Home One ... what other iconic ship could they reasonably do.

The complexity of the game itself is going to set it apart to being more for the wargaming crowd compared to X-Wing, which was a massive hit due to it being more casual.

Its not a complex game, but it is more so than X-Wing and that alone is going to keep it from reaching same level as X-Wing. This is more hardcore game.

They still got to do Imperial Star Destroyers, as they only released Victory Class ships so far, and also the Super Star Destroyer. First wave of ships already has EU stuff in it so they got lot of stuff to play around with.

Draxal

The complexity of the game itself is going to set it apart to being more for the wargaming crowd compared to X-Wing, which was a massive hit due to it being more casual.

Its not a complex game, but it is more so than X-Wing and that alone is going to keep it from reaching same level as X-Wing. This is more hardcore game.

They still got to do Imperial Star Destroyers, as they only released Victory Class ships so far, and also the Super Star Destroyer. First wave of ships already has EU stuff in it so they got lot of stuff to play around with.

Super Star Destroyer isn't really doable even if you try to nerf the scale of it like they did with the corvette in Xwing.

Victory is 900m and 40 bucks msrp.
Imperial is 1600m
Home One is 1300m
Super Star Destroyer is 19,000 m

And they have stuff to play around with ... but none of this is iconic, and the the Home One/Imperial Star Destroyers are going to cost a ton. Part of the reason X wing is so successful, is that a non miniature player will buy a falcon or an xwing/tie fighter at a Barnes and Noble/LGS because those ships are iconic, once that price points gets too prohibitive for the iconic ships they won't do it.

The scale in Armada is already not correct, rulebook points this out that the game is not following a scale and will do ships to make them fit as best as possible.

X-Wing greatly nerfed scale when they went with the big ships expansions, I'm certain they will fudge the scale alot for Armada

Heh love the game, my fiance also loves the reaper mini mouslings, and many of them fit perfectly in mice and mystics. We've replaced the plastic figs in M&M with the nicer reaper figs that she painted.

Draxal

The scale in Armada is already not correct, rulebook points this out that the game is not following a scale and will do ships to make them fit as best as possible.

X-Wing greatly nerfed scale when they went with the big ships expansions, I'm certain they will fudge the scale alot for Armada

Just bumping this since the announced wave 2.

armada-wave2-title-image.jpg

No listed priced for the Imperial Destroyer. I still don't see how they can add an SSD.

Adding Wave 1's announcement pic for reference here.

armada-wave1-title-image.jpg

That imperial is going to cost so much and it does look like the Imperial and Victory try to be in scale with each other (the big scale breakers are the fighters obviously).

I can see the SSD being essentially around the size of the Corvette in X-Wing, and keeping at the $99 mini ceiling. They aren't gonna keep scale, the fighters and freighters are already out of scale now. Would be about twice the size maybe bit more than the ISD.

Though the game is designed around 300 point fleets, so a SSD really would not fit in the game, so I can see it being a special set with unique rules like the X-Wing large ships. Wizards previous ship fleet Star Wars game also completely ignored scale for the game, SSD was like 3x the size of a ISD only.

The game so far after getting into it seems solid and has promise, I would say that it's a bummer that Star Trek went with the X-Wing system, as really Armada's gameplay is far more suited to the naval type battles that should be seen from Trek. I doubt they would switch gears or put out another Trek mini game though.

Draxal

I can see the SSD being essentially around the size of the Corvette in X-Wing, and keeping at the $99 mini ceiling. They aren't gonna keep scale, the fighters and freighters are already out of scale now. Would be about twice the size maybe bit more than the ISD.

Though the game is designed around 300 point fleets, so a SSD really would not fit in the game, so I can see it being a special set with unique rules like the X-Wing large ships. Wizards previous ship fleet Star Wars game also completely ignored scale for the game, SSD was like 3x the size of a ISD only.

The game so far after getting into it seems solid and has promise, I would say that it's a bummer that Star Trek went with the X-Wing system, as really Armada's gameplay is far more suited to the naval type battles that should be seen from Trek. I doubt they would switch gears or put out another Trek mini game though.

Imperials much cheaper than I thought it was going to be at $49.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/ffg-han-solo-boba-fett-more-revealed-for-armada.html

So I guess it's doable.

And I like how that belloflost souls reveal occurred before that discussion we had ....

Leunam

Ugh those capital ships look so damn cool. Too bad I already blew my entire bonus.

How is Mice and Mystics by the way. The aesthetic really got my interest but I have no clue if it's any good at all.

Draxal

Ugh those capital ships look so damn cool. Too bad I already blew my entire bonus.

How is Mice and Mystics by the way. The aesthetic really got my interest but I have no clue if it's any good at all.

Imperial has me tempted in buying it even I don't get the game ...

Anyone try the new Mutant Chronicles Warzone game? Was big into the game back in the day, preferred it to 40k and such, but now that it's back I'm tempted. Just not a fan of the prices, and with few retailers in US supporting it..... eh. Same company who did the new AVP game, too expensive

Good game, very simple dungeon crawler, but the production values are top of the line, and real elegant system. Just don't expect much depth.

Draxal

Anyone try the new Mutant Chronicles Warzone game? Was big into the game back in the day, preferred it to 40k and such, but now that it's back I'm tempted. Just not a fan of the prices, and with few retailers in US supporting it..... eh. Same company who did the new AVP game, too expensive

Models look great, it's just the name doesn't mean anything anymore. My primary gaming store, they support GW (but alot of people have stopped buying recently) WM/Hordes (which i see played all the time), and Xwing. There's just too many games made right now and they're having trouble supporting all of htem.

Models look great, it's just the name doesn't mean anything anymore. My primary gaming store, they support GW (but alot of people have stopped buying recently) WM/Hordes (which i see played all the time), and Xwing. There's just too many games made right now and they're having trouble supporting all of htem.

Problem with alot of these kickstarted mini games. They are successful, but biggest problem is they get no in game store support, which is what miniature games need. Unlike board games which people play at home, mini games usually are bigger and for full enjoyment players need to get out there and play with others or the games get stale. Unless you got two people willing to keep making new armies or builds on a regular basis or a pool of friends all buying into the game, it's hard to get into any new mini game thats not popular.

16995785940_fa3d5dfbb2_o.jpg

K-Wings and Tie Punishers announced for X-Wing at Celebration. Scum and Villains get the other 2 ships from the next wave then, one being the Hounds Tooth.

Houndi101

Been seriously eyeing Infninity by Corvus Belli, fewer miniatures to by and store around the house.

E I do have a army of Blood Angels (Jump pack spam era), Chaos Warriors for FB and Warmachine Retribution full selection and some Cygnar

Leunam

Infinity is a wonderful game with fantastic miniatures. Very different from other games and is great about keeping both sides involved during all stages of the game.

I'm expecting my Arena Rex miniatures to arrive any day now. Been a long wait.

Houndi101

Infinity is a wonderful game with fantastic miniatures. Very different from other games and is great about keeping both sides involved during all stages of the game.

Good to hear, it seems promising because the biggest problem at the moment is figuring out which Faction to start. Combined Army and Haqqislam are the top contenders but Ariadna, Yu Jing, Nomads and PanOceania have cool stuff too.

Been playing 'Saga' of late. Though it seems to be going the way of most of my non-GW mini games, where I pick it up with a few friends, we play it a few times and then don't bother again.

Still, is a fun little game and cheap if you get the Gripping Beast plastics.

Leunam

Been playing 'Saga' of late. Though it seems to be going the way of most of my non-GW mini games, where I pick it up with a few friends, we play it a few times and then don't bother again.

Still, is a fun little game and cheap if you get the Gripping Beast plastics.

I've really been wanting to get into Saga, the miniatures, the setting, and the scale all work for me.

But my Arena Rex miniatures literally just arrived, and now I'm going to dive right into that since it's been such a long wait.

I've really been wanting to get into Saga, the miniatures, the setting, and the scale all work for me.

But my Arena Rex miniatures literally just arrived, and now I'm going to dive right into that since it's been such a long wait.

It's great, deceptively simple is a cliche but very true. Love it. Check out Battle Bunker's how to videos and you pretty much have the rules down.

Don't get the Gripping Beast metals if you can help it though. I got Normans and my God their warlord is static.

Leunam

Seen the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar photos from White Dwarf floating around on the net?

It looks very 40K...

Everything is on round bases too.

They look very 40k, I agree. Actually when I first saw them I thought they were because of the round bases. Even skirmishers in Fantasy had square bases.

I'll need to see them up close with better pics, but I think they look pretty good. Round bases are throwing me off.

I kind if wish it was a skirmish offshoot. If it's a total replacement for Warhammer Fantasy, I would be pissedifI had all the books, armies, ect.

Leunam

All you need is one more friend and you can still play the old editions. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there playing 2nd edition 40k.

I would love to get into armada, but I'm too broke. I had an addiction with Star Wars Miniatures, and I don't know if I want to start a new one.

I'll need to see them up close with better pics, but I think they look pretty good. Round bases are throwing me off.

I kind if wish it was a skirmish offshoot. If it's a total replacement for Warhammer Fantasy, I would be pissedifI had all the books, armies, ect.

Rumors supposed to be that old minis would be compatible with new rules, square bases and all, with unit cards for old units etc

Seen the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar photos from White Dwarf floating around on the net?

It looks very 40K...

Everything is on round bases too.

It appeals to me more than "regular' WHFB, to be honest. If the armies can be smaller and the ruleset allows for quicker games with less investment then I'm in. Will definitely be picking up the starter set.

Official info from the GW App

19085711350_0f6a553fd6_o.jpg

So yea, old models are compatible with the game, the one issue that everyone is freaking about is the 4 page rules. You can fit alot in 4 pages sure, but have to really wonder if they aren't making too simple of a game. Alot of rules I imagine are going to be on individual unit cards, but still....

There's been some leaks of the 4 page rules.

Some key points:

-No unit points values.
-All units get a "warscroll" - scenarios likely dictate the number/type of warscrolls an army can use.
-Simplified To Hit/Wound/Save system.
-Free model on this Saturday's White Dwarf!
-Base shape irrelevant, measurements are model-to-model not base-to-base. Scenic bases are okay.
-Roll off to see who goes first in each full game turn.
-Combat results are "Battleshock". D6 + dead models compared to Bravery stat, lose another model for each point over your Bravery stat.
-There's a "Hero Phase" which is for your commander skills, magic etc.

Mindwipe

"GW will support this release for years!"

Yeah, I'm sure if it fails it won't be quietly buried and they won't try to go back to WHFB pretty quickly...

Stuff like movement and such is pretty simply to describe for most skirmish games. Most rule sets are overly bloated often due to having tons of extra text just to appease people who never played a mini game before.

Technically, a person could dilute the rules of 40k into 4 pages probably pretty easy if you focus on just the rules and not tons of extra fluff content. And with most abilities and special abilities on the cards instead, you save tons of space.

Yeah, I've got the Warmachine Prime Mk2 rulebook and it's so bloated with explanations. I just want a few sentences saying "Do this for this, do that for that" rather than an essay on the finer points of throwing someone across the battlefield.

Rules should be simple and clear. These rules look to do that. I'm excited.

Brakke

Banned
I love Warmachine and once you grok it it's pretty easy... but that rulebook is a disaster. So many rules around single- and double-handed throws, headbutts, arm/headlocks, etc etc etc when I've only done a headbutt once and never seen a -lock. So many complicated line-of-sight diagrams when it's really very straight forward.

I guess they printed some quickstart rules or something in these All In One army boxes? Really like, if they just explain ranged attacks, charges, tramples, and unit activations, they'd pretty much have 95% of any given game covered.

It's like how huge the rules for Flames of War are with so many extra phases and exceptions. Just close combat assaulting is it's own section of rules that almost feels like a different game system. Rest of the move/shooting parts of the wargame can be diluted to one page probably.

Icefire1424

Official info from the GW App

So yea, old models are compatible with the game, the one issue that everyone is freaking about is the 4 page rules. You can fit alot in 4 pages sure, but have to really wonder if they aren't making too simple of a game. Alot of rules I imagine are going to be on individual unit cards, but still....

Admittedly, I'm coming into this late, and haven't played a GW in years, but I find myself intrigued. And very confused.

Is this in the Warhammer Fantasy Universe, or 40K, or something else entirely?

Edit: Ooops, just caught the bit about "all models from Warhammer Fantasy army books", so looks like Fantasy it is. That actually has me a bit more excited. Loved Warhammer when I was younger, this might be a good point to jump back in.

Admittedly, I'm coming into this late, and haven't played a GW in years, but I find myself intrigued. And very confused.

Is this in the Warhammer Fantasy Universe, or 40K, or something else entirely?

Edit: Ooops, just caught the bit about "all models from Warhammer Fantasy army books", so looks like Fantasy it is. That actually has me a bit more excited. Loved Warhammer when I was younger, this might be a good point to jump back in.

Basically Warhammer Fantasy's world has an apocalypse like event, world ended and this takes place some time after that, with the survivors in a new world setting. New factions and lore, etc

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
4 page rules, no points values, no model limits?

Welp...

It is a starter set!

This is the introductory boxset, obviously it is going to be low barrier to entry.

Fantasy communities on the internet are so ridiculously knee jerk and cynical that it makes them unreadable.

The models look great (though those leaked early shots didn't look as good as the wd leaks) and a game that is more playable at lower points is very, very welcome.

Yea imagine this is all about a single boxed game, not the full line of product yet. Will we be seeing a bigger rulebook and army books coming along eventually to pad this out?

There's no indication of a large rulebook, it's just wishful thinking. It would be really stupid to lead with an incomplete version of your game, especially if you don't tell it's the incomplete version.

It'd like a really crap version of bait & switch.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There's no indication of a large rulebook, it's just wishful thinking. It would be really stupid to lead with an incomplete version of your game, especially if you don't tell it's the incomplete version.

It'd like a really crap version of bait & switch.

No, it is exactly like how you get a quickplay rules set with Privateer press starter sets...

The rules in AoS don't feature army selection or missions. Obviously there will be more.

Top Bottom