• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Leunam

I've only ever done washes, but I've seen dips achieve good effects quickly. Can't remember the name of the product they used but they can in what looked like cans of varnish. And I think they were specially made for miniature painting.

Army painter dips. It works, the paint job is not amazing since you can't fully control how it flows and goes on, but for table top play, you can really upgrade the appearance and quickly shade an entire army.

One big tip, no matter how much you shake off the dip as they suggest, you might want to use a brush or some paper towel and go around the mini soaking up any areas where excess dip accumulates because it really is not exact in how it applies. So after dipping I like to always go over them and try to clean up any areas that get too much dip on them.

Also i've never seen a case where the strong dark dip is needed. the medium tone they sell is pretty much perfect, with the light stain being only good for really light colored minis.

I've only ever done washes, but I've seen dips achieve good effects quickly. Can't remember the name of the product they used but they can in what looked like cans of varnish. And I think they were specially made for miniature painting.

Army Painter is the name.

You can accomplish some great effects quickly with dips. It also adds one heck of a hard coat. You can apply the dips with a brush to make its effects a bit more subtle. It is also worth noting that painting over the dip has some difficulties, so stick to smaller highlights instead of painting over large flat areas. I would also encourage a white undercoat if you're going to dip. Your base colors will need the extra pop prior to dip application.

The only real con to me is that dipped armies tend to look "samey". I have a similar opinion about airbrushed armies as well. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Army painter dips. It works, the paint job is not amazing since you can't fully control how it flows and goes on, but for table top play, you can really upgrade the appearance and quickly shade an entire army.

One big tip, no matter how much you shake off the dip as they suggest, you might want to use a brush or some paper towel and go around the mini soaking up any areas where excess dip accumulates because it really is not exact in how it applies. So after dipping I like to always go over them and try to clean up any areas that get too much dip on them.

Also i've never seen a case where the strong dark dip is needed. the medium tone they sell is pretty much perfect, with the light stain being only good for really light colored minis.

That's good advice. Thanks.

The only real con to me is that dipped armies tend to look "samey". I have a similar opinion about airbrushed armies as well. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I think this might be the same con for me. Since I plan on using it for Saga, and I don't think my vikings should look uniform, but maybe the different colored pants would be good enough lol

Different colors will have your units look different, the whole samey look thing with dips and some paint styles is simply often due to assembly line like painting when doing multiple figures. Dark stains can also dull the coloring down pushing all your paint jobs to have a similar shade from a distance. Also after you dip, its a good idea to do some extra detail/highlights on them to give them some pop.

I picked up the Age of Sigmar starter box after really enjoying putting together WQ The Silver Tower. Can't wait to get this stuff together and play a bit. In all of my miniature gaming playing a solo game never seemed desirable at all, but AOS is so story and fluff focused that I am looking forward to just setting up crazy scenarios and playing them out from both sides.

That is an interesting way to approach the game. While I've seen lots of people play through the campaign against each other I never really realizied that you could also d it solo due to the setup. Which force are you more interested in? And if you are interested in the Tzeentch stuff from the Silver Tower it is heavily rumored that more will be coming later alongside an Undeath themed expansion to Silver Tower.

Edit: Yeah those Start Collecting Boxes are great. The Skitarii one got me to start an army. It is curious that they added in the Dominus though given that its a Cult Mechanicus unit and thus its special rules don't interact with Skitarii models. Hopefully a portent of the armies uniting.

I would be interested in a Blood Angels start collecting box for sure. I mean, I have five years' worth of backlog already, but who doesn't need more plastic crack?

So the last battle I had came down to two dreadnoughts (one blood angels las/missile dread, one wolves venerable dread with axe and shield) fighting my Morkanaut on the only objective. The Morkanaut scraped through with one remaining wound, tabling my opponent and winning the game for me by the skin of my teeth.

Today Space Wolf, Blood Angel and Grey Knight dreadnoughts got errata'd to have two more attacks. They would've won it handily lol

So the last battle I had came down to two dreadnoughts (one blood angels las/missile dread, one wolves venerable dread with axe and shield) fighting my Morkanaut on the only objective. The Morkanaut scraped through with one remaining wound, tabling my opponent and winning the game for me by the skin of my teeth.

Today Space Wolf, Blood Angel and Grey Knight dreadnoughts got errata'd to have two more attacks. They would've won it handily lol

Nice. I can imagine the die rolling on that one.

We had some crazy times on our last game including, but not limited to

- Chaos demon player lost his Lord of Change by turn two after some very bad rolls on the Chaos fun times table, before it even got to fight anything.

- My Knight was dueling another player's renegade Knight and they got both destroyed by a wandering Wortex of DOOM

- Three cultists killed my Chaplain in close combat

Ohnonono

That is an interesting way to approach the game. While I've seen lots of people play through the campaign against each other I never really realizied that you could also d it solo due to the setup. Which force are you more interested in? And if you are interested in the Tzeentch stuff from the Silver Tower it is heavily rumored that more will be coming later alongside an Undeath themed expansion to Silver Tower.

Edit: Yeah those Start Collecting Boxes are great. The Skitarii one got me to start an army. It is curious that they added in the Dominus though given that its a Cult Mechanicus unit and thus its special rules don't interact with Skitarii models. Hopefully a portent of the armies uniting.

I play lots of wargames/ board games solo so it is nothing new to me. You set up a cool situation and have at it. So far I have 3 factions for AOS started. The starter box Khorne Bloodbound, Stormcast Eternals starter plus another unit of Paladins, and LOTS of Flesh Eater stuff. I love the fluff for the Flesh Eater Courts. I have the King's Ghoulish host box, another unit of 20 ghouls, and a box to make one of the 2 courtiers and either 2 more Crypt Horrors or Flayers.

My regular opponent and I are looking to start a tiny army each specifically for small 500 point games when we don't have time to break out our main armies.

I've gone for Tau and have a list written up which I think I'll enjoy, but I'm absolutely stumped about where to start writing a Necron list for my opponent.

Ledsen

My regular opponent and I are looking to start a tiny army each specifically for small 500 point games when we don't have time to break out our main armies.

I've gone for Tau and have a list written up which I think I'll enjoy, but I'm absolutely stumped about where to start writing a Necron list for my opponent.

Warriors, jetbikes and wraiths is a good start.

By the way, Blood angels, Grey Knights and Space Wolves players everywhere can rejoice:

13458727_1635011190152847_4104911159854085936_o.jpg

Warriors, jetbikes and wraiths is a good start.

Thanks, that's really helpful (God is there a way of typing that without it sounding sarcastic?), I've put together a small list and will run through it with him and see what he thinks.

Stock Lord
10 x Warriors
10 x Warriors
3 x Tomb Blades
Then a choice between either:
3 x Wraiths if he wants to get up close
or
Triarch Stalker if he wants to buff some units

With everything stock that comes to 484-489 points, or he could drop ten of the warriors and replace them with 5 x immortals to free up some more points. I think he'll like that.

By the way, Blood angels, Grey Knights and Space Wolves players everywhere can rejoice:

13458727_1635011190152847_4104911159854085936_o.jpg

Yeah, I mentioned above that I would've lost my last battle if that rule had come into play a week sooner lol. I'm really glad, two attacks is feeble for a giant robot of death. Murderfang is straight up insane now though, if you can get him into combat.

Edit: Murderfang is now 6 attacks base, +1 for two weapons, +2 if he charges, +D3 if outnumbered, with two master-crafted rerolls to hit and gets to reroll failed wounds. That's disgusting... again IF he can survive long enough to get into combat. I might have to look into drop pods for him and two venerable shield dreads for some of my bigger games.

I play lots of wargames/ board games solo so it is nothing new to me. You set up a cool situation and have at it. So far I have 3 factions for AOS started. The starter box Khorne Bloodbound, Stormcast Eternals starter plus another unit of Paladins, and LOTS of Flesh Eater stuff. I love the fluff for the Flesh Eater Courts. I have the King's Ghoulish host box, another unit of 20 ghouls, and a box to make one of the 2 courtiers and either 2 more Crypt Horrors or Flayers.

Ah I'm interested in the Flesh Courts as well. I really like their fluff and hope that it is a portend of the future. How is the army itself though? From looking at the rules it seems like a very intricate balancing act between the courtiers and the regular troops.

Yeah, I mentioned above that I would've lost my last battle if that rule had come into play a week sooner lol. I'm really glad, two attacks is feeble for a giant robot of death. Murderfang is straight up insane now though, if you can get him into combat.

Edit: Murderfang is now 6 attacks base, +1 for two weapons, +2 if he charges, +D3 if outnumbered, with two master-crafted rerolls to hit and gets to reroll failed wounds. That's disgusting... again IF he can survive long enough to get into combat. I might have to look into drop pods for him and two venerable shield dreads for some of my bigger games.

You know what's disgusting now? Cassor the Damned. 5 attacks base, +1 for two weapons, +2 on charge for 8 total, then you have rerolls to wound, and on top of that the thing has walk through cover and none can stay my wrath so you can basically launch it right out of a Storm Raven into the face of your enemy without a thought. And it also has a Meltagun.

Yep, Murderfang gets to ignore shaken and stunned results too. Considering the two armies most likely to be fighting each other in my local group are Space Wolves and Blood Angels, I can see plenty of dreadnoughts making it back into our lists lol

Ohnonono

Ah I'm interested in the Flesh Courts as well. I really like their fluff and hope that it is a portend of the future. How is the army itself though? From looking at the rules it seems like a very intricate balancing act between the courtiers and the regular troops.

You need to keep the courtiers safe (keeping important models safe seems to be a big thing in most AOS armies.) is a big deal so they can keep summoning more dudes. That said the courtiers are amazing units and hit like trucks so I tend to want them to hit things too. My view so far is Crypt Horrors > Crypt Flayers. Crypt Flayers breath attack is pretty bad. That said they are good for summoning in because they are fast and can get in the fight. Right now I have a King on Terrorgheist, 39 Ghouls and 1 Ghoul courtier, 3 Flayers, 8 Horrors, 1 Horror courtier and the Vargulf. It is a pretty fun swarmy army. Nice counterpoint to the Stormcast stuff. Should make for some fun scenarios.

Risible

My first project was painting a Space Hulk set. I basically threw myself in the deep end :). Now I'm working on the Warhammer Dark Vengeance box set. I did a group of five Space Marines I posted here earlier, and here's the next five. It's so calming and relaxing painting. :) I keep trying to progress and get better, so many good painters here and on Youtube, tons of inspiration.

My first project was painting a Space Hulk set. I basically threw myself in the deep end :). Now I'm working on the Warhammer Dark Vengeance box set. I did a group of five Space Marines I posted here earlier, and here's the next five. It's so calming and relaxing painting. :) I keep trying to progress and get better, so many good painters here and on Youtube, tons of inspiration.

Looking great!

May I suggest a small purchase? Get a miniature drill (I have Army Painter brand myself, and it works well) and start drilling those gun barrels. It makes a huge difference! And you can use the drill also for making magnet holes if/when you get to them, and also if you want to pin some of the models (like I did when I wanted my assault marines to look a bit more floaty).

Ohnonono

Generals Handbook leaks for Age of Sigmar look pretty damn good. Sounds like there is a bit in there for every type of gamer. Has me hobbying every night! It had such a bad reception but I really feel like AoS is turning around with the community.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Generals Handbook leaks for Age of Sigmar look pretty damn good. Sounds like there is a bit in there for every type of gamer. Has me hobbying every night! It had such a bad reception but I really feel like AoS is turning around with the community.

Not to mention the new elves look phenomenal!

I'm painting up some Orruks right now and can't wait to get some games in with them.

Risible

Looking great!

May I suggest a small purchase? Get a miniature drill (I have Army Painter brand myself, and it works well) and start drilling those gun barrels. It makes a huge difference! And you can use the drill also for making magnet holes if/when you get to them, and also if you want to pin some of the models (like I did when I wanted my assault marines to look a bit more floaty).

Thanks for the suggestion! Will do.

Here's official pics of all the new Sylvaneth releases from the webstore!

As a long-long-long time Wood Elf/Treefolk fan, nigh-on 20 years in fact, I'm over the moon with these new models. I just wish I had the available cash to pick them all! As it is I'll probably just have to buy the Battletome and try pick up a kit a month or something if I can afford to.

I love the look of those new models. The queen on beetle is inspired stuff. I'm happy to see wood elves get an extremely distinct look.

oktarb

So how does the world of paints hold up these days. Going to start painting again and see the new citadel line but have been tempted to try out P3. I expect mixing and matching is still the best route. Anyone go deep on the new citadel line?

I use mostly citadel paints. The range as a whole is pretty good... but the whites are TRASH. They go clumpy and horrible. Also the citadel paint pots are as bad as ever, the way the paint drips once you open them it stops them from sealing properly at the back. A lot of people buy empty dropper bottles to transfer paints into.

For the most part I find citadel paints more than fine for the job, but I do use vallejo/p3 sometimes.

For those interested in the new Slyvanth models and haven't preordered them you are going to want to be in store when they release. GW posted that many places have run out of stock online and most remaining stock is either instore or being manufactured meaning that it may be some time before more stock arrives.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I use mostly citadel paints. The range as a whole is pretty good... but the whites are TRASH. They go clumpy and horrible. Also the citadel paint pots are as bad as ever, the way the paint drips once you open them it stops them from sealing properly at the back. A lot of people buy empty dropper bottles to transfer paints into.

For the most part I find citadel paints more than fine for the job, but I do use vallejo/p3 sometimes.

Citadel washes and glazes are excellent. Their new metals are great too. I'd recommend using a mixture of paint ranges.

Leunam

Damn, so not only do the new Sylvaneth look incredible, but GW is also releasing Heresy Era Marines, Terminators, and Dreadnoughts, Forge World is working on Blood Bowl, and Corvus Belli is releasing a new dual faction starter for Infinity called Red Veil with Yu Jing and Haqqislam sectorials with gorgeous models as usual.

I might need a week off of work to catch up with all this painting.

Watching Duncan paint Mk4 Marines in Word Bearer colors makes me wish I had the time.

oktarb

I'm back in. Order a metric ton of paints and Celestant-Prime.

Excited to here forge world is booting Bloodbowl up. Had fun with that game for a we bit.

I'm back in. Order a metric ton of paints and Celestant-Prime.

Excited to here forge world is booting Bloodbowl up. Had fun with that game for a we bit.

Awesome stuff, the Prime is a great model. A little bit awkward to assemble but far from the toughest AoS kit :) Bloodbowl should be awesome when it comes back!

Here's my Sylvaneth so far. I picked up my first box of Tree-Revenants today :)

Leunam

Android those look awesome. And are those beetle quivers? How did I not see those before? This is great work.

My only criticism would be that there is a little disconnect between the colors of your models and the flock on the base. But it's a minor complaint, the results are wonderful.

Android those look awesome. And are those beetle quivers? How did I not see those before? This is great work.

My only criticism would be that there is a little disconnect between the colors of your models and the flock on the base. But it's a minor complaint, the results are wonderful.

Yeah, the autumn basing is a little at odds with the minis but I felt it helped create visual interest - my Wood Elf army was so heavy with greens and browns it really needed some orange and red to give it something different. I'm heavily committed to the basing scheme at this point, I'll try do a full army shot shortly if I get a moment :)

Edit: The army so far... the autumn basing has been around for like 5 years since I was getting back into the hobby.

Leunam

If it's about army unity then I definitely can't complain about the basing.

I'd like to give the Sylvaneth a go eventually so I can finally see if my cherry blossom color scheme might work the way I pictured it.

Gorgeous woodies! What paints did you use for the bows?

For the Kurnoth Hunters, it's a basecoat of Celestra Grey, followed by a generous helping of Nihilak Oxide (a technical paint officially used for creating verdigris effects) and a light white drybrush to pick out the detail. :)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
For the Kurnoth Hunters, it's a basecoat of Celestra Grey, followed by a generous helping of Nihilak Oxide (a technical paint officially used for creating verdigris effects) and a light white drybrush to pick out the detail. :)

Thanks! Definitely stealing that one for mine :) . I've only ever used nihilakh for verdigris, never thought to use it for this sort of thing.

Continuing my quest to learn while painting a Warhammer 40K: Dark Vengeance box set. Here's my Hell Brute.

Looking great, the quest is going well! Lot's of exp!

A small follow-up for this quest step if you don't want to start the next step yet: Maybe look into highlighting some of the warts and stuff a bit more to really make it nasty? And maybe make the face a bit more fleshy to differentiate it from the brass trimmings? :)

Top Bottom