• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
That is a really good effort. Better than many I see at the store. Also, better than unpainted. Plus it will look even better with a good basing scheme. Make sure you do something nice because it can really improve the overall look of a model.

Yeah, it's very true. My paint jobs look horrible in pictures or up-close. But most of the time you are playing with them is from like 2-3 feet away on the table. At that distance, you can't really see all the little times I fucked up and they look amazing.

Also, not all schemes look great from a distance. The right scheme painted mediocre can look better than a muddled scheme painted excellently. Paint smart.

Faiz

Going all in. I love it. Don't let the sheer volume of miniatures intimidate you. Just take them either one at a time, or one unit at a time.

Hah, indeed! It can be daunting looking at all that plastic. I plan on starting with the Stormcast Liberators and saving the heroes/leaders for last after I've had some practice on the troops.

Anyone picking up Death Masque? I told myself I'd only get one copy and then went for two because I am weak. I'm going to end up with so many harlequins.

Anyone picking up Death Masque? I told myself I'd only get one copy and then went for two because I am weak. I'm going to end up with so many harlequins.

I really want it, but both my hobby budget and time are stretched to the limit for the next few months. I was going to get the set anyway but it just so happens I had to rearrange my hobby room last night. After moving box after box of unopened 40k stuff, there is no way I can justify adding another to my pile of shame.

Death Masque is a too big investment for me and I have no use for it as a game or for the Eldar models. I am keenly waiting for the rumoured boxed release of the Deathwatch Overkill marines (supposedly will be around $95, which is a great deal for the lot of them).

Finished this badboy last night.

Nicely done, love the sword. Is that the original banner pole? I don't remember it being so massive.

I really want it, but both my hobby budget and time are stretched to the limit for the next few months. I was going to get the set anyway but it just so happens I had to rearrange my hobby room last night. After moving box after box of unopened 40k stuff, there is no way I can justify adding another to my pile of shame.

My solution to such issues is denial. I don't think it'll be a limited release so you should be able to pick one up when if you finally get through your pile.

Death Masque is a too big investment for me and I have no use for it as a game or for the Eldar models. I am keenly waiting for the rumoured boxed release of the Deathwatch Overkill marines (supposedly will be around $95, which is a great deal for the lot of them).

I'm hoping to mitigate the cost by swapping or selling the marines for even more space clowns. Despite having harlequins since 2nd the crazy prices put me off the new stuff. This set should now make them one of the cheapest armies to get.

Nicely done, love the sword. Is that the original banner pole? I don't remember it being so massive.

My solution to such issues is denial. I don't think it'll be a limited release so you should be able to pick one up when if you finally get through your pile.

I'm hoping to mitigate the cost by swapping or selling the marines for even more space clowns. Despite having harlequins since 2nd the crazy prices put me off the new stuff. This set should now make them one of the cheapest armies to get.

Yeah it's the original pole. Gotta love old school. I'll freehand a banner for that and base it in time.

I'd gladly split a box with you, actually. I live in the back end of nowhere though.

Finished this badboy last night.

gallery_60983_8363_29355.jpg

Nice!

PittaGAF

My very second day of painting.
They look like shit on camera, but live and above all at the table they look AMAZING (for my poor skills of course).
I'll never won any competition but really...playing them on the table is fantastic, even my friends were surprised....even at shit level painted minis add a lot on the tiles.
I started with the tiny minis because I have multiple copies of those...discovering normal sized minis are much easier to paint.
Consider due to very limited budget I have just the base GW intro box colors (11) and just one brush (I tried eyes, nails, teeth but too difficult with my brush....I'll try later again), so I had to be creative and mix a lot.
The brimstones were really hard, and the colors are not too bright (due to the black primer and I watered them a lot to mix for the fire effect)....how can I make them brighter?
I'll try to 'highlight' them tomorrow with a pure orange.

Looking forward painting all the others...it is really fun!!!

I'd gladly split a box with you, actually. I live in the back end of nowhere though.

An offer I would gladly take you up on if it wasn't for the fact that there's probably an ocean between us. However, I do believe you were right on the Overkill marines being available soon.

kbIxtG5.jpg

They should be Kill Team Cassius.

Family is growing (last post I promise).
Retouched and added some details here and there plus added a Blue Horror.

Your family sure is... special. :)

And I agree, keep on posting! I love to see everyone's creations, beginner or master level.

Yours look very good for a first patch btw. I want to see what you paint next.

PittaGAF

Thanks guys.

I'm having a TON of fun, never considered this...always drooled at others creations but never had the courage to try.
But I'm glad I discovered the hobby just now...I would never graduated/married/did anything if I discovered this when younger!!!!

I feel my limited budget is hindering me a bit...I like shading but having only Nuln Oil makes everything darker.
And with just 11 colors and one brush obtaining some things is pretty hard.
I also regret having bought the black primer...making things bright is damn hard.

I think I'll continue next with the Grots and the horrors...I learnt a lot and I want to see if I can improve on those now.
I'll keep doing enemies because there are multiple copies of them...then I'll try some heroes when I'll feel confident enough.

Fortunately, and to my great surprise, even if I make mistakes here and there and under scrutiny I can notice a ton of errors or things I'm unable to do properly....when miniatures are on the table and we are playing....everything disappears.
Part because of the 'distance', part because you are mainly focused on the game...the board at a glance even with shitty minis is awesome IMHO.
And monsters really come alive.

I wanted to post in the case others like me are on the fence.
I spent less than 50 euros for a starter kit and a shade, I still draw people with sticks and I never had a brush in my whole life...but if I can do something 'passable', anyone can do it....and the difference playing is pretty big afterwards.

Now I just want my holidays would go on for another month to keep painting...

Thanks guys.

I'm having a TON of fun, never considered this...always drooled at others creations but never had the courage to try.
But I'm glad I discovered the hobby just now...I would never graduated/married/did anything if I discovered this when younger!!!!

I feel my limited budget is hindering me a bit...I like shading but having only Nuln Oil makes everything darker.
I also regret having bought the black primer...making things bright is damn hard.

I think I'll continue next with the Grots and the horrors...I learnt a lot and I want to see if I can improve on those now.
I'll keep doing enemies because there are multiple copies of them...then I'll try some heroes when I'll feel confident enough.

Fortunately, and to my great surprise, even if I make mistakes here and there and under scrutiny I can notice a ton of errors or things I'm unable to do properly....when miniatures are on the table and we are playing....everything disappears.
Part because of the 'distance', part because you are mainly focused on the game...the board at a glance even with shitty minis is awesome IMHO.

I spent less than 50 euros for a starter kit and a shade, I still draw people with sticks and I never had a brush in my whole life...but if I can do something 'passable', anyone can do it....and the difference playing is pretty big afterwards.

Your experience is very similiar to mine. I started last January at the age of 32. Small budget, not enough paints, learning from mistakes and advice from this thread, etc.

Now I have a decent Space Marine army and my skills have already improved I feel. So much fun!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys.

I'm 37 and just about to paint my first miniature. I found some good tutorial vids so I'm just hoping for the best. Should get around to painting this weekend. We will see how it goes.

Experien

I have a very bright Greedo I painted for SW: Imperial Assault. What paints/colors do you recommend to dark washing it?

I am afraid of using my Nuln Oil and ruining his good colors.

Thanks guys.

Glad you're enjoying it! You'll gradually build up a library of colours - I tend to buy a pot or two to fill the gaps in my collection when I have a few coins burning a hole in my pocket! I'd really suggest watching Duncan's painting videos on Warhammer TV if you haven't already checked those out, he makes it look so easy and you'll learn great techniques that you can apply to many different models.

Your Silver Tower stuff is looking great so far, keep up the good work!

Leunam

I have a very bright Greedo I painted for SW: Imperial Assault. What paints/colors do you recommend to dark washing it?

I am afraid of using my Nuln Oil and ruining his good colors.

I really think you can't go wrong with black and brown shades. They go well with pretty much any color if you're looking for depth. Colors like purple, blue, and green wash are nice for distinct metallic tones or even ghostly, spectral subjects, but not always the go to choice for skin. However, if the base is the same color as the ink it might work. Green ink for Greedo, let's say. Even still, I'd do a careful wash of brown. If you have a spare mini it might be worth testing it out on better yet, see if you can find examples online.

Consider due to very limited budget I have just the base GW intro box colors (11) and just one brush (I tried eyes, nails, teeth but too difficult with my brush....I'll try later again), so I had to be creative and mix a lot.

Most people will tell you not to bother with cheap brushes - because they are cheap. But, when you are just starting out, Hobby Lobby (and I assume similar stores) have really cheap (<$10) brush packs to give you more brush options. They're worth giving a try at the beginning until you are ready to spend $10+ per brush.

Plus, cheap brushes are usually pretty good at drybrushing anyway. And you don't feel so bad about beating the crap out of them in the process.

PittaGAF

Yeah, it's very true. My paint jobs look horrible in pictures or up-close. But most of the time you are playing with them is from like 2-3 feet away on the table. At that distance, you can't really see all the little times I fucked up and they look amazing.

So true.
Just completed our 6 trial and my shitty minis looked AMAZING on the board (the few painted....now the rest look so sad, while they were great before).

I've noticed something else that depressed me a bit, but the encouragement from you all pros mitigated it.
So I finish a painting session, all satisfied by the progresses....I immediately take some pics and post them.
Then I read my own post and see the images....I zoom....and....WOW THEY LOOK LIKE SHIT!!!
I can notice errors I've hard time to find holding the mini in my own hands.

So I can only imagine how amazing some minis I saw in pictures (perfect even zoomed in, many from this very thread) must be in person!!!
I guess it's what people call 'boardgame' level painting as opposed to 'amazing skills' level.

Risible

Buy this. It's basically clear acrylic. Mix 1 part Pledge, 4 parts water. This is your wash "stock."

Now you can make your own washes...just add a few drops of paint to some wash and instant wash in the color of your choice.

Faiz

So tonight I spent about two hours just building my first three Liberators. It's possible I'm putting too much effort/being too careful with clipping and sanding down flash, haha. And I haven't even started filling in the pesky seams on top of the shoulder pads. Also, I may be going a little cross eyed...

And Pitta I think your stuff looks great so far. You can always go back and add highlights later on when you have some spare cash for paints! You have a decent technique for being so new to it. I've seen much worse from people with way more time in the hobby.

Pitta:

My goal stages are: 1) good looking on table 2) good looking when picked up. I don't worry about the zoomed in stuff, that's for after years of practice I feel.

Faiz:

I don't think there is such thing as taking too much time to do something with minis. And when it comes to flash and mould lines. Finding a line you thought you removed when you are already painting. It hurts.

Mike:

Looking good and nuln oil will make all that machinery even better I'm sure!

PittaGAF

Completed the Blue Horrors and the Brimstones, added a Grot Scutling (with lance).
Still look like shit on camera/zoom but I got accustomed to it now...they look amazing on the board.
I would be faster but I keep going back retouching old minis...I must stop and go on.
Still learning a lot for every mini done...the bigger they are, the more fun I'm having.
I would like to paint Pink Horrors now but I miss pink....tried to do it but was a mess.

Completed the Blue Horrors and the Brimstones, added a Grot Scutling (with lance).
Still look like shit on camera/zoom but I got accustomed to it now...they look amazing on the board.
I would be faster but I keep going back retouching old minis...I must stop and go on.
Still learning a lot for every mini done...the bigger they are, the more fun I'm having.
I would like to paint Pink Horrors now but I miss pink....tried to do it but was a mess.

Looking great! If you want to do the Pink Horrors easily, get yourself Screamer Pink, Pink Horror and Druchii Violet paints. Basecoat in Screamer, all over wash with Druchii and then a quick highlight with Pink Horror - its fast and looks amazing.

PittaGAF

Thanks.
The idea was to complete everything with the colors of the base set, but it might be impossible.
I'm also on the fence to buy the blue shade for the blue horrors.
And the shade for the skin of the heroes...

It's a deep rabbit hole....

Fortunately, even as they are the minis look gorgeous on the board....so I'm super torn to complete at least monsters a bit faster for the playing sessions....but I don't want to rush too much (also I'm on holidays now...but when I'll be back at work I won't have so much free time).

I hope to complete everything before winter, when the first big expansion of WHQ:ST supposedly will be out (the undead themed one, as rumors say).
I'm looking forward to it even more now!!!

Fou-Lu

I am hopeful that I will soon find people to play with. Planning on visiting the LGS down the street from my new apartment during their gaming nights (for which they have Warhammer, Warmachine and Infinity) and meeting the groups and deciding which direction I want to go based on who I want to play with. I have more Warmachine/Hordes minis so part of me is holding out for that, but I am also very disappointed in MK3 and liking the look of Age of Sigmar since seeing the General's Handbook.

Leunam

Last night after delaying for so long I finally managed to play a real game of Arena Rex.

So first off, the arena itself. I started with a cork bulletins board, 24" x 36" but the actual gaming area is slightly smaller. I cut out walls and fitted them but it made the arena even smaller still, so I omitted them this time around. Everything is sanded and coated with three layers of paint. The stones are cut from two thicknesses of styrofoam and scored using at first a pen and also a rivet wheel. The hazards are my favorite part.

So the story for this arena was that it once served as a place of healing, where the springs cured sickness and mended bone and the vegetation could be made into potions and salves. After being raided by barbarian tribes, the garden no longer had its regular sacrifices to please the gods, so the plants grew poisonous thorns and the springs turned acidic and toxic. Now, animal sacrifices will not suffice, so gladiator blood is required.

For the time being, we didn't use the hazards that way, but I will in the future. I couldn't actually mimic depth, so instead I used very thin plasticard, primed black, spray painted dark green with some black spray for effect, all gloss coated. Put it in place and then added foliage and you have a toxic pool.

The columns were two Roman columns cut in half. The ones at an angle are glued to plasticard bases and sanded. Basecoated and heavy white drybrush. The trees were from woodland scenics with green stuff roots, painted brown and flocked.

As for the game itself, I think it went great. There are no point values. Instead each model is weighed by their 'vitality tracks' which can mean over ten hit points per character. Gladiators have one vitality track and beasts usually have two. Movement ranges from four to seven inches depending on the character. Combat works via opposed rolls, attack versus defense, on average it means six attacks versus two defense rolls, where 4+ is a success, potentially allowing four hits through. All this varies on the character of course. Each character has a unique damage tree, where the successes allow you to travel down a branching path so you can choose the results. Some trees are simply loaded with damage from the top to the bottom, others have a few push attacks, others still allow you to earn favor from the crowd or trigger special abilities. Favor itself, is a resource, and different feats allow you to earn special favor die to boost attacks or defense, since successes on favor die count twice.

Performing actions causes models to gain fatigue. This system allows you to push really hard, but also makes it dangerous if all your models are fatigued and can't act or react until their fatigue level goes down.

As for the characters themselves this go around, we used Micon, Khepros, and Viatrix on one side, and Gaius, Urbicus, and Mago on the other.

So for the first team, Viatrix, the thin but fast character has to be the MVP. She has an ability called Taunt, which means that enemies in her engagement range (1" typically) can only attack her. Top that off with her high defense of three and she made quite the tank. Khepros was her backup, because he was assisting her, so he added a major boost to her already high defense thanks to his ability called Shelter. Micon deals very little damage by comparison, but I love the way he plays. His damage tree is almost entirely one damage pushes, but after a push, you can resolve a free follow up move. Micons follow up is 2" instead of the standard 1" so with a high amount of successes he can manipulate positioning against his enemy and bully him around as he likes. If he maxes out his damage tree, he can finish off with a high damage attack or even pick up his enemy and throw him D3" in the direction of his choosing. Had we been playing with hazards, we would have seen someone tossed into the toxic pools.

For the second team, Urbicus put in a ton of work. His damage tree isn't impressive, but because he can still act even while fatigued, he was able to still be a threat and push against the enemy where others normally wouldn't. Mago unfortunately didn't do much, as he was singled out early on, but his spear and net means that escaping him can be difficult, as moving away from him fatigues the enemy. He ended up being killed when he tried to counterattack. Counterattack work by forgoing your defense roll and instead defending with the attack roll. But attack rolls cannot negate other attack rolls, and whoever is the winner in the face off receives no damage from the other persons counter. Viatrix crushed Mago in a single flurry of blows. Was awesome to see. Gaius didn't fare much better. He's an undead soldier, and after losing all his vitality he came back once more with a single hit point left. Shame he wasn't able to do much. He's slow, movement of 4", but he can hit hard and can potentially heal his allies.

Since me and my friend were learning the game, I decided they should play while I was the adjudicator. The rules were super easy to understand barring some lengthy confusion on a rule or two, but from here on out I think we understood the rules adequately enough. The guy who had Mago on his team was visibly upset upon losing him in such dramatic fashion, so it really soured him on the game that he was enjoying up to that point. He's designing a game of his own and I think he feels that gives him a lot if insight on what makes for great game design. Sad to say, he wouldn't really agree with my justification for why the rules worked a certain way as they were written.

We had a blast playing Arena Rex. I can't wait to play again and continue painting more of these guys. Once I have time and a few more games under my belt I'll do a proper review. The sculpts are amazing, the rules are awesome, and every character feels so distinct thanks to individual stats, vitality, damage trees, and special rules. You guys should take a look at their website and check out the free (complete) rules and maybe try a game with proxies. I'll gladly answer any questions you guys have too.

Leunam

I'm almost 100% sure you introduced me to this by posting the Kickstarter on here. Was my first one and I went in for almost every mini they had at the time. They were at GenCon and showed a couple of new minis. Red Republic Games has a bright future ahead I think.

Leunam

Thanks! The board was a lot of fun to make and took almost no time at all. The board itself was $35, and all the other materials were lying around, so it was very cheap. I used maybe three of the small Tamiya spray cans over the black primer coat. The styrofoam, plasticard, flock, and sand I already had and I still have more to use later. I really wish I could make a larger board, but then the problem becomes fitting it in my car.

I drew a really basic design in AutoCAD for an oversized briefcase that would include storage space and a 30" diameter classic round arena with enough depth to include walls and actual pits. It's probably going to be very heavy but I bet it would look great. For now, this small space ended up working really well for this encounter, and would probably work well for up to five combatants per side.

I'd love to post more pictures but the main camera on my phone is busted. :/

More progress on some Age of Sigmar minis!

Knight-Azyros (Alternative build to Knight-Venator)

Lord Relictor (from AoS starter box set)

Next update probably won't be for awhile since the next item on the painting table is Kroq-Gar on Carnosaur for my Seraphon army. And that thing is massive. If Gordrakk was any barometer, it'll probably take me a couple of weeks to finish.

ScatheZombie, any chance you could post some tips on how you make your bases?

Sure!

The main foundation of any heighten landscape is smooth crafter's foam from Hobby Lobby. I get one of the giant 4ft sheets of it for like $8 and cut out smaller pieces. I've only carved one of the corners out and used that foam for probably 20-something bases already. Glue it all down with just regular Elmer's or some other PVA glue.

On top of that, I fill in any holes and smooth all the edges with spackling from the hardware store. It's like another $4. If you wet it just enough, it becomes very, very malleable and I use some sculpting tools to shape it into the rock formations I want. Warning: It doesn't get very hard. Even fully dry, sealed and painted it's still a little squishy. If you want really hard stuff, try dental cast material. (Side note: To get the perfectly flat surface on the Lord Relictor I used a thick cardstock laid on top of wet spackling and glue. I've also found cardboard works but you really have to seal it good or it will warp over time.)

The smaller rocks are either tiny hobby basing rocks - they are kind of expensive but generally companies that do terrain for model trains have the cheapest brands. Or you can use the terrain builders ultimate secret light dirt weapon - kitty litter. Once everything is roughly how I want it, I seal it with a matte varnish to help hold everything down and give it a good surface to take paint.

I prime and paint everything the color I want (in the case of the Stormcast, it's just a basic grey - in the case of the Orruks, it's brown for the rock formations and I use the Agrellian Earth technical citadel paint to make that cracked mud effect). Wash it with the appropriate shade paint (usually Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade). And then dry brush with a lighter appropriate color (light grey or light brown).

Grass is hobby grass from the same place I get the small rocks. I haven't found a decent way to make this cheaper. I tried making my own flock but it looked pretty meh compared to the store-bought stuff. My best bet for foliage has been Hobby Lobby and their giant plastic plant section. I try to find things that would look good if I clip off a tiny piece. There's a few viney bits and flowers that work - I'll have more to show in that regard when the Carnosaur is done; all of my Seraphon are jungle-based with lots of plants.

Then I just decorate the base with whatever leftover bits I have from my other sets. Gordrakk has a couple of Savage Orc spears that I hacked the hands off and some Ironjawz weapons and armor leftover from an Ardboys box.

Been playing a lot of warhammer total war. It makes me want to try out the table top game. Where do I jump in

Well the warhammer fantasy total war is based off is pretty much a dead product, they have "rebooted" the universe by ending it, and then doing a big time jump to a new time period. Game is now known as Warhammer Age of Sigmar and is more of a skirmish level type of game.

Some people still play old warhammer fantasy, you can still find the old product in stores and it's technically all supported by the new game too.

Been playing a lot of warhammer total war. It makes me want to try out the table top game. Where do I jump in

The Age of Sigmar starter set is $125 and gives decent starting forces for both Stormcast and Khorne. If that's too pricy to just see if you like it, the Storm of Sigmar box is $33 for 5 Stormcast and 8 Khorne models for a quick simple game to feel out model building, painting and game mechanics.

You will also want to pick up a basic painting/building set as well. I think their basic kit comes with paints, a brush, and clippers for $30-something.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
First ever painted mini from Halo Fleet Battles (and from any game). Not super happy with it. Think I had too much primer, base coat was to thin, my wash pooled too much, and I hate the lights. I may go back with the base coat and cover the lights. I like the engines though.

Faiz

Sure!

The main foundation of any heighten landscape is smooth crafter's foam from Hobby Lobby. I get one of the giant 4ft sheets of it for like $8 and cut out smaller pieces. I've only carved one of the corners out and used that foam for probably 20-something bases already. Glue it all down with just regular Elmer's or some other PVA glue.

This is basically what I've been working on for my Stormcast as well. Hope mine turn out as nice.

First ever painted mini from Halo Fleet Battles (and from any game). Not super happy with it. Think I had too much primer, base coat was to thin, my wash pooled too much, and I hate the lights. I may go back with the base coat and cover the lights. I like the engines though.

The engines look great. Overall fig looks fine for table top usage. Maybe just use base coat to try and clean up the lights a bit, or lessen them as they are kinda big looking. Try to make em smaller and remember to look at your figs from a gameplay level, not up close to your face.

Top Bottom