• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shpankey said:
Pitch Speed: two clicks to the left.

A lot of slider people agree on that setting, myself included. I also raise Contact one click to the right. You might also go one click to the right on Timing, though that's up to you.

Hitting is pretty much dead on for me now.

I shall try these out. Any other slider findings?

Lost my first game to the Dodgers as the Yankess (yes, the Yankees!...can't help being from NY) 5-2. Sabathia got lit up early but then I calmed down a bit. Hitting is difficult. I'll have to try some of the sliders ya'll have recomended.

Zanick

blackMamba1187 said:
Lost my first game to the Dodgers as the Yankess (yes, the Yankees!...can't help being from NY) 5-2. Sabathia got lit up early but then I calmed down a bit. Hitting is difficult. I'll have to try some of the sliders ya'll have recomended.

I know the feeling, started out a season as the Yankees and lost 5 straight to the Orioles and Royals. However I've won my last 3 against Tampa, I rarely strike out and even hit two home runs with Jeter in one game. It just takes time to get everything down.

shpankey

not an idiot
Kintaro said:
I shall try these out. Any other slider findings?
I'm at the point on my sliders that I'm going to start fresh. They really interconnect with each other, so adjusting one usually requires adjusting another to keep things in balance.. so I'm hesitant to recommend any yet. I think I was too quick to make adjustments and got my game out of balance by making too many adjustments too fast. I'm going to go slower this time. I *WILL* dial this bitch in to perfection, eventually! :D :)

The ones I listed above are fine if you want to hit better though, no worries. It gives you a split-second more to see the pitch, which will help a lot.

Kintaro

I'll gladly start over my RTTS with some better sliders should they come about. Plus, start of the year rosters...and drafted by a better team...(fkn Orioles). :D

In my first game in the new season, I did jack one out of the park on a hanging slider. Was a thing of BEAUTY.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Ugh, I got addicted last night playing RTTS. Toiling away as a pitcher in the A's organization (they drafted me). I think I pitched 20+ games! So, I'm probably not going to tweak the pitching setup haha. I'm still fine with out of the box stuff really, my only thing has been slowing down my swing. I can read pitches in/out of the zone pretty well now. Some nasty breaking pitches excepted.

Is drafting new to 09? In 08 you pick the team you go to, do spring training, then hopefully get a contract. Is it different now?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
MotorbreathX said:
Is drafting new to 09? In 08 you pick the team you go to, do spring training, then hopefully get a contract. Is it different now?

Yes, you have the choice now.

I'm playing a pitcher so someone else will have to answer about the running.

Musashi Wins! said:
Yes, you have the choice now.

That's awesome. How are the fast forward settings this time? I know that have new options with totally bypassing the fielding or baserunning but I'm curious as to how it works specifically with baserunning. I could never stand it in 08 but is it worth using the "lead runner" option just to get steals? If I can bypass it all together and not sacrifice stats I'd be all over it.

Wickerman

I just had a great comeback against the CPU.

Down 7-2 in the 8th I rallied to tie the game 7-7 with a few walks and doubles by Texiera, Posada, and Matsui.

In the 9th the CPU (Red Sox) got runners on first and second with Ortiz at the plate and 1 out. Mariano induced a 3-6-1 double play to end the inning.

In the bottom of the inning I hit a walk-off with Johnny Damon to end the game with a final score of 8-7. :D

Dice-K was mowing my team down and I didn't think I had any chance of winning that game. A couple of innings before the rally, one of announcers said that tabloids were going to have field day with the way the Yankees performed. After I tied the game he said something like "Who would have thought that the Yankees would be in this position at this point in the game". Little things like that make this game really fun.

Btw, did they have "Bob Sheppard" announcing the batters at Yankee Stadium in MLB '08?

Zero Hero

I finished ST with my 18 y/o with the Astros who drafted me. Now I'm in AA. Damn my guy is weak or something because I can't drive the ball very far and have yet to hit a ball that comes close to hitting the wall even on the ground. Hitting was always the hardest for me in 08 too. :/

Overall, I'm loving 09.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
shpankey said:
I'm at the point on my sliders that I'm going to start fresh. They really interconnect with each other, so adjusting one usually requires adjusting another to keep things in balance.. so I'm hesitant to recommend any yet. I think I was too quick to make adjustments and got my game out of balance by making too many adjustments too fast. I'm going to go slower this time. I *WILL* dial this bitch in to perfection, eventually! :D :)

The ones I listed above are fine if you want to hit better though, no worries. It gives you a split-second more to see the pitch, which will help a lot.

Were you having a problem of swinging too late? I went to the batting practice and discovered I am swining too early.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Looking at the Metacritic scores of this game. Right now its at 88 based on 9 reviews. The highest rated Sports game on Xbox 360 and PS3 is NHL 08 09 (I can't read), it is also at 88, although much more reviews (25 - PS3, 41 - 360). It will be interesting to see which game ends up with the higher review score.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Review averages almost always decrease over time after the early reviews. Any huge fan of the gamerankings leaderboards can attest to this.

Windu said:
Looking at the Metacritic scores of this game. Right now its at 88 based on 9 reviews. The highest rated Sports game on Xbox 360 and PS3 is NHL 08, it is also at 88, although much more reviews (25 - PS3, 41 - 360). It will be interesting to see which game ends up with the higher review score.

Strange, I think NHL 09 is superior to NHL 08. MLB 09 defintiely belongs up there, possibly at the top, as well.

shpankey

not an idiot
dskillzhtown said:
Were you having a problem of swinging too late? I went to the batting practice and discovered I am swining too early.
No, I was swinging way too early; and I know why you're asking me that... b/c logically, the slider adjustment I told you would seem to be for someone swinging too late. But it actually also works for swinging early. I think it's b/c the ball comes so fast, your instincts are such that you don't have much time, so you're kind of jumpy. When I made that adjustment, it allowed me to calm down a bit and take my time, which worked wonders ridding me of my early swings.

shpankey

not an idiot
DoctorWho said:
Strange, I think NHL 09 is superior to NHL 08. MLB 09 defintiely belongs up there, possibly at the top, as well.
NHL 09, absolutely should be at the VERY top. In all honesty, it's (now post patch) probably the most perfect sports game I've ever played (not hyperbole). It really, really is. Even the slider adjustments are minuscule on that game. It's one of the few games where I don't sit there playing it, and in my mind constantly say stuff like: if they would just do this, fix that, add this, change that. I just play and it and enjoy. Nothing is perfect, but NHL 09 is damn close in its current state.

What'd they give it?

Oh, and we all know, most sports games reviewers are fucking morons who don't understand enough about the game to even be critical on the aspects that are so important to most of us. Believe it or not, many times the reviewer doesn't even particularly LIKE sports games all that much.

shpankey

not an idiot
DoctorWho said:

MLB 09 is a bit too buggy in its current state to be ranked over a masterpiece like NHL 09 in my opinion... but a couple patches and yeah, they'd both be right at the top, for sure. Along with FIFA 09. Of course, these three games are just on a whole other level than all other sports games... it's almost ridiculous how far ahead they are. Going back to other sports games now is difficult at best. The bar has just been raised too much now. I can't even pull myself back to this years basketball crop.. which are just in a sad state, by comparison. :( And that's my favorite sports genre. lol

Oh, and to be fair, NHL 09 has had the time now to patch its problems.

Windu

and yet they have average review scores in the 80s. Kinda lame. It seems like sports games get a automatic 10 points off the review score for just being sports games.

shpankey

not an idiot
Yup, it's difficult to read sports game reviews from a lot of sites (especially the big ones)... 4 paragraphs in and they still haven't said a damn thing we can use, just shit we already knew from press releases punctuated by generalizations and hyperbole. Games like these, where the bar is so obviously raised for the genre, need to be recognized and commended much, much more. Instead we get some big jrpg fan who only has a casual interest and is reviewing it b/c nobody else was available and they needed to get something out there to collect hits.

It's so rare to read a review where they really played all aspects of the game and broken it down. Good and bad.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It is really hard to find decent reviews. There are a few dedicated blogs I trust and that's it.

I'm tempted to get NHL and FIFA now and I don't even give a rats ass for hockey or soccer haha.

Windu said:
and yet they have average review scores in the 80s. Kinda lame. It seems like sports games get a automatic 10 points off the review score for just being sports games.

Games that simulate real-life activities always have an uphill road. Sports games in particular suffer because they are compared closely to real games played on TV.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
shpankey said:
No, I was swinging way too early; and I know why you're asking me that... b/c logically, the slider adjustment I told you would seem to be for someone swinging too late. But it actually also works for swinging early. I think it's b/c the ball comes so fast, your instincts are such that you don't have much time, so you're kind of jumpy. When I made that adjustment, it allowed me to calm down a bit and take my time, which worked wonders ridding me of my early swings.

Thanks, we are on the same wavelength, lol.

shpankey

not an idiot
Musashi Wins! said:
It is really hard to find decent reviews. There are a few dedicated blogs I trust and that's it.

I'm tempted to get NHL and FIFA now and I don't even give a rats ass for hockey or soccer haha.
Do it! You will not be disappointed. If you pick-up nhl, hit me up with a msg and we can play online (btw, online play in this really is amazing) and I can break some stuff down for you.

Oh, and playing 6 on 6 hockey, online, all with live people, no lag... CRACK ;) Be a pro mode... CRACK ;)

We need more people on the gaf ps3 team too... it's getting harder and harder to get a game nowadays.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
God damnit that scared me. Put the disc in and loaded disc...but it just sat on a blank black screen... Took disc out and cleaned it and now it plays. I was like FUCCCCKKKK :lol

edit: Now its not starting again...and after a few tries starts. Kinda worrying me lol

Saiyu

Musashi Wins! said:

I'd recommend both, I have no experience of hockey but NHL 08 and 09 were so addicting. FIFA 09s Be A Pro mode felt as close as you can get to playing a position in football, with only a minor problem of the CPU opposition's addiction to crossing.

Corran Horn

Musashi Wins! said:
It should worry you because with the PS3 it's usually not the disc :( Try some others.
killzone 2 loaded...shrug...maybe ps3 is starting to go because sometimes it doesnt want to find a connection to go online now alot

Windu

Holy shit, the custom cheers are fucking awesome. I recorded myself saying "Laarrrryyy" and then I hit play and it sounds like a whole crowd is doing it.

edit: HA! I just said "Here we go Braves here we go" Then I banged my hand against my desk a couple times. It sounded like people were stomping their feet and clapping their hands. this is awesome.

Corran Horn

ARRRGGGG lol was playing online and almost was done then roommate turned on his laptop (which for some reason resets the router) and I got disconnected :(

Oh well back to RttS again :D

Core407

Banned
Windu said:
Holy shit, the custom cheers are fucking awesome. I recorded myself saying "Laarrrryyy" and then I hit play and it sounds like a whole crowd is doing it.

edit: HA! I just said "Here we go Braves here we go" Then I banged my hand against my desk a couple times. It sounded like people were stomping their feet and clapping their hands. this is awesome.

Is it possible to upload chants?

Windu

no. :(

Sucks, but I guess they don't want people sharing a "Fuck You!" chant.

Kingpen

shpankey said:
Do it! You will not be disappointed. If you pick-up nhl, hit me up with a msg and we can play online (btw, online play in this really is amazing) and I can break some stuff down for you.

Oh, and playing 6 on 6 hockey, online, all with live people, no lag... CRACK ;) Be a pro mode... CRACK ;)

We need more people on the gaf ps3 team too... it's getting harder and harder to get a game nowadays.

They are great, but we would be doing him a favor to let him know it is inevitable that they will hit a price drop pretty soon... I mean the new versions are only 6 months away

Saiyu

heh, I noticed something which may explain how hard I'm finding it to hit. After a few rounds of practise it seems like I go on the opposite direction with the left analog then bring it back a split second later. In my head I think I'm pressing X or Square when I've aimed at the ball but quite a few times the plate coverage will have been locked in the opposite direction meaning I swing right through it.

My guess is plate coverage is a lot more important than last year, as I could hit fine in HoF but I'm struggling to get much on All Star this year. Only excuse I can think of is that I've used inverted aiming controls since the days of Goldeneye for shooters and flying. What's annoying is when I aim the opposite side laterally too, then the guy really looks like he's hacking away!

Mrbob

Ok...I wanted to try something different. I wanted to chronicle my franchise game against the Brewers, do highlights a la sportscenter. Tell me if you like this or not and I may try to do it again. If not...I won't waste my time! :lol

Rich Harden made his opening start of the season ice cold. He gave up a double in the inning and then the Brewers go on top 1-0 with a hit down the line by Ryan Braun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9kbPPHa4c

Prince steps up to the plate next and decides he wants to 1up Braun. He takes Hardens fastball and crushes it out of the park to jump out a 3-0 first inning lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0gJeJTQ68

JJ Hardy comes up in the inning and hits Harden hard, yet Bradley ends the inning by making a great diving catch. First inning was rough for Harden but it was over!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDemkfPZKM

The game stabilizes after the first. Manny Parra is taking the Cubs down, holding them to 1 hit through six. Harden settles down and doesn't give up another run and only one more hit through seven innings pitched. Ryan Theriot attempts to start a cubs rally with a single in the top 7th to lead off the inning. DLee comes up next and crushes a ball towards the gap but Billy Hall gets a great jump and robs him of an extra base hit which would have scored a run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iier2B2Iaj8

Manny Parra is tiring though as Ramirez comes up next and hits a single to the right, putting runners at first and third with Bradley coming up and leading to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piaQOmPfo-g

Milton crushes the ball and all of a sudden we have a 3-3 tie in the 7th. The Brewers decide to put Gagne in to start the 8th and walks the lead off hitter. Mike Fontenot steps up to the plate next and slices the ball down the 3rd base line with an excuse me swing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPbz4qvROk

Soriano steps up to the plate next and hits a high, long lazy fly ball to left field which is just deep enough to score the go ahead run to put the lead the cubs back from behind 4 to 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9o1m40_-WM

Now we head to the 9th. Milton isn't satisfied with just hitting a 3 run homer from the right side of the plate, he decides to put a stamp on this game by smashing a solo homer from the left side!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJhiKp4zQtQ

The Brewers wouldn't go down easy. Marmol comes in the 9th for the close and Braun leads off the inning with a double! Prince is up next, and on a 2-2 pitch Marmol challenges the prince with a fastball and here is the result!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztL1SKiz98

One out later, Corey Hart steps up to the plate with two outs and a runner at third. He runs the count ahead 3-0 on marmol, but two fastballs later the count is even at 3-2. Corey does connect with the ball on the 3-2 pitch...can he be a hero and tie the game?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtvY9FRUVGU

Not today! Marmol makes Corey take a protective swing on a 3-2 curve ball preserving a 5-3 win and a Cubs victory against their divison rival!

As an aside, re-watching some of these plays in the replay makes me appreciate all the little touches Sony put into the game with animations from players after big plays. Looks so amazing and realistic.

Captain N

I'm playing RTTS and during Spring Training I was White and now all of a sudden I got moved to the minors and I'm black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9kbPPHa4c

Prince steps up to the plate next and decides he wants to 1up Braun. He takes Hardens fastball and crushes it out of the park to jump out a 3-0 first inning lead.
Prince taking it opposite field down-the-line? I call bullshit.
Captain N said:
I'm playing RTTS and during Spring Training I was White and now all of a sudden I got moved to the minors and I'm black.
Sounds like you were covering up who you really were, dude. They caught you and put you back in the minors. :p

Kintaro

Maybe I'm just having a bad night, but I want to throw my controller through a wall. I was early on fucking EVERYTHING today. Off speed, fastballs, everything. I don't fuckin' get it. I didn't change any sliders either. AERIHFVIEHBVISAHBSVIHG

Drek

Anyone know where to find a good breakdown on how the arbitration/contract renewal system works?

I've simmed through one season and got back around to the draft just now. Playing with the Red Sox and offered Bay and Smoltz both arbitration. They both refused and signed with playoff teams from the year before. I also sat back and waited for the opportunity to just renew my pre-arb guys to one year deals but when it reached the arb. deadline it instead just cut them back into the FA pool. I restarted and just signed them all to extensions.

What really pissed me off is that now that I've reached my next draft I suddenly realize I didn't get any compensation picks for Bay or Smoltz. Atlanta had three first rounders and two sandwich picks, so its working for the CPU teams. What do I have to do in order to get my damn picks?

Windu

There is a help section called Transaction Handbook, its under Roster Moves in Franchise Mode. That should help you out a little bit.

But that is strange. I would think you would get compesation picks if you offered arby. Maybe they forgot to put it in the game.

edit: were they type A or B FAs? probably not.

Drek

Windu said:
There is a help section called Transaction Handbook, its under Roster Moves in Franchise Mode. That should help you out a little bit.

But that is strange. I would think you would get compesation picks if you offered arby. Maybe they forgot to put it in the game.

edit: were they type A or B FAs? probably not.
Thats basically a short definition and doesn't give any actual breakdowns on how to execute an arbitration tag that nets compensation picks.

Jason Bay and John Smoltz were both Type A FAs, both were designated as such at the start of the off-season. I made arbitration offers to both and a few weeks later a message popped up that they each declined. Jason Bay signed with the Yankees day one of FA and Smoltz signed with the D'Backs about a week after.

They obviously included Type A and B compensation because when I ran my most recent draft Atlanta had three picks in the first and two in the sandwich, i.e. they lost two Type A's and didn't sign any Type A's. They got compensation.

I'm wondering if its forcing me to at least put forth a contract offer to them of some kind after they decline. I'll play around with it some tomorrow and I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out (unless its actually broken) but man I really wish they'd fleshed out the manual or transaction handbook a LOT more with how you actually go through and make the nice new features they've added happen instead of me having to run multiple save games and season sims just to get the off-season mechanics squared away.

Just happy I didn't put any actual game playing time into it because now restarting just costs me about 4 hours of my free time instead of the 15+ it would've been if I had been playing games as I went.

bryehn

Why is the World Baseball Classic not in this game? It's a million times better than traditional spring training.

Oh, plus...Go Canada!!!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Ok, can you schedule upcoming events in franchise or what? The auto tutorial thing even complained to me that I had nothing scheduled. I said ok but it didn't take me anywhere and I can't figure out how to do it.

Anyone?

Top Bottom