• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

That was weird.

I just struck out with Wells and as he was walking back to the dugout he was getting upset with the umpire almost as if he didn't agree with the call. It was a clear swing, he obviously struck out.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
DoctorWho said:
Just picked it up!! :D
Lucky Bastard.
Angelus said:
I just remembered something...which game is it that allows you to add your own player music,like player intros and home runs? Is it the Show or 2Ks game? Hopefully its both.
Right away I'd add Gary Cohen's home run calls to the games. I've got plenty of his play calling laying around in mp3 format so it would work out pretty good.
The show does this. Not sure about 2k, but I doubt it.

edit: Btw there is a link in the OP with a bunch of sound files. Its under "Links".

Just saw an obvious error that was scored as a hit.

Shit, I should be recording some of this stuff so you can see it. :p

Windu

Realistic score keeping I see. Especially if it was the home team that made the "error".

jman2050

DoctorWho said:

Anyone who's played RTTS as a pitcher is nodding their head slowly.

I love the highlight package they play at the end of the game. Overall, this is the same game as last year with "the little things" being emphasized this year. I'm a little disappointed that the commentary is mostly the same stuff that we got last year with a few new audio clips thrown into the mix. Of course, after one game, I haven't heard everything there is to hear.

The umps were rough on me in this game too. A couple of questionable check-swing calls made late in the game may have cost me and the guy behind the plate had his strike zone a bit high for my liking. Of course, this is intentionally part of the game now and I appreciate it being there - just wish it didn't work against me here.

DoctorWho said:
I love the highlight package they play at the end of the game. Overall, this is the same game as last year with "the little things" being emphasized this year. I'm a little disappointed that the commentary is mostly the same stuff that we got last year with a few new audio clips thrown into the mix. Of course, after one game, I haven't heard everything there is to hear.

The umps were rough on me in this game too. A couple of questionable check-swing calls made late in the game may have cost me and the guy behind the plate had his strike zone a bit high for my liking. Of course, this is intentionally part of the game now and I appreciate it being there - just wish it didn't work against me here.

i got it, havent played yet stuck at work. but are Snider and Lind in opening day lineup?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So Doc, I haven't been keeping up lately. Has the pitching/batting framerate been fixed in the final version compared to the demo?

Windu

DevelopmentArrested said:
i got it, havent played yet stuck at work. but are Snider and Lind in opening day lineup?
I would assume those two would be at least on the 40 man roster in the game since they have played in the majors before 09. Not sure if they are in the lineup because I don't have the game, but I'm sure if they aren't then they would be by the time the game hits because there is a roster update I believe for the 3rd.

DoctorWho, where did you get it in Toronto?
DevelopmentArrested, I think you're from Toronto too so where did you get it?

I want this game nowww!!

Windu

I hate all of you that have this game. *evil eye*

btw where are you guys getting it? Is it just local stores or big stores like wal-mart? There are no Mom and Pop type stores that sell video games where I am at so I probably won't be able to get it until the 3rd.

Mrbob

Looks like online could be The Show's achilles heel again. :/

I guess more time to play Road to the Show then!

Captain N

I've been watching the trailers on my PS3 and noticed something. When will players on a game actually stand on the field? The pitcher isn't actually standing on the pitching mound.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The online being FUBAR in this year's is absolutely inexcusable. WTF, SONY????

Typical Sony. Exceptional and terrible at the same time. As long as I can play the people I played against online last year, I will be happy but I was really hoping for a league. :(

DMczaf

On the other hand The Show is already seeing lots of mentions regarding lag and choppy gameplay. In 08 there would be times where you would swing and not see the bat swing or the ball even come in, it would just cut to the field where the ball was then in play. Sounds as though instances similar to that one are reoccurring. I’ve seen discussion around lag and disconnects in multiple forums.

2luc4rm.gif

HoTHiTTeR

I keep playing the demo, over and over, and over, and over. lol.

One thing that annoys me, so very minor that I'm putting my flame suit on; They've done such a great job w/ everything else, why the fuck does the catcher walk right through a batter if the game ends on a strike out? lol. I mean, totally though him.

They should fix that :p

DenogginizerOS said:
The online being FUBAR in this year's is absolutely inexcusable. WTF, SONY????

Ive been on TS' history of latency and connection problems as much as anybody, but in my experience anecdotal accounts from a P2P environment are inherently hit and miss. And the game hasn't hit street date yet. I'd give it a little time before freaking out. Emphasis on little. ;)

Windu said:
I hate all of you that have this game. *evil eye*

btw where are you guys getting it? Is it just local stores or big stores like wal-mart? There are no Mom and Pop type stores that sell video games where I am at so I probably won't be able to get it until the 3rd.

Local mom & pop for me.

I've been out all night with friends so I've not been able to play since that one game. Looking forward to playing all day tomorrow though! :D

DevelopmentArrested said:

I'm sure you're home now and yes they are. Also, Millar you will have to create. He isn't with the MLBPA.

Regarding online play. I it will suck for the first few weeks and like magic it will start working perfectly. I played over 100+ games last year online and most of them were great.

WHY IS ONLINE PLAY SO HARD TO NAIL?

WTF...

This is the shit that makes me think they just don't care.

Or put enough time into it.

Third year in a row if this is true. Hope it's not.

Yoboman

I've never played a baseball game before so this is a stupid question. But why the fuck can't I hit the ball? :lol I clearly need a training mode, am I aiming with the analog stick at the ball? What are the different buttons for? I take it square = hard hit, x is regular, o = punt?

Anyway, can't hit shit

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Yoboman said:
I've never played a baseball game before so this is a stupid question. But why the fuck can't I hit the ball? :lol I clearly need a training mode, am I aiming with the analog stick at the ball? What are the different buttons for? I take it square = hard hit, x is regular, o = punt?

Anyway, can't hit shit

Also, click in L3 after your missed swing to get a few clues as to why you didn't hit it.

I can't believe reports are bad about the online again. Incredible.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The game seems amazing on so many fronts, but I'm gonna hold off on the preorder until I hear more about the online experience once the game releases. I gave up playing CPU in sports games years ago and am a much happier gamer for it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jazzy Network said:
I don't play online so I don't really care. Can't wait for this! Hopefully we can get it on the ship date.

Yeah, hate to say it, but same here. Games take quite awhile versus the CPU as it is. Having thought about it, I'm just not game to do the same against another person who could just up and quit in the middle if I was beating them or the connection gets lost.

Anduron

davidjaffe said:
Cool- thank you guys for all the great suggestions! It amazes me that - unless I just missed something- NONE of this stuff is covered in the manual or in the tip screens.

David

The really in-depth manual is in game. In the demo you can get to it through the menu screen while in the middle of a game, not sure where it's located when going through the title screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kintaro said:
Yeah, hate to say it, but same here. Games take quite awhile versus the CPU as it is. Having thought about it, I'm just not game to do the same against another person who could just up and quit in the middle if I was beating them or the connection gets lost.
why we do leagues. seriously to me means a helluva lot more, and is a helluva lot more fun to win a league full of at least other gaffers than to beat up on randoms or the cpu. this is a total dsfdf situation, but just noting why i've never looked back.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
AstroLad said:
why we do leagues. seriously to me means a helluva lot more, and is a helluva lot more fun to win a league full of at least other gaffers than to beat up on randoms or the cpu. this is a total dsfdf situation, but just noting why i've never looked back.

Well, that I can understand.

shpankey

not an idiot
CartridgeBlower said:
WHY IS ONLINE PLAY SO HARD TO NAIL?

WTF...

This is the shit that makes me think they just don't care.

Or put enough time into it.

Third year in a row if this is true. Hope it's not.
it really shouldn't be. High Heat 2000 was virtually flawless online. there literally was ZERO lag. I don't know how, but it did it. still can't believe 9 years later they can't match that.

Mrbob

AstroLad said:

League signups are ongoing for this title in the online forum.

The major difference from this title over other ones is RTTS is so addicting. No other sports game comes close in a similar mode.

Mrbob said:
League signups are ongoing for this title in the online forum.

The major difference from this title over other ones is RTTS is so addicting. No other sports game comes close in a similar mode.

Have you tried NHL 09's "Be a player" mode? That is definitely up there with RTTS 08.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FIFA 09 actually has super-deep single-player modes (not as deep as RTTS likely, but still about as good as you can get for a soccer game), but the depth is hardly an issue for me it's just that I don't enjoy playing the CPU in any sports game anymore.

Brief Impressions from playing 3 exhibition games:

Game 1: NY @ TOR. Burnett vs Halladay. Yanks win 6-4.
Game 2: TOR @ BOS. McGowan vs Lester. Jays win 1-0.
Game 3: TB @ TOR. Price vs Litsch. Rays wins 6-1.

Graphics: Gorgeous. Better than the demo. Blows 2K9 away. Character models are phenomenal. Animations are great. One flaw? After foul balls, the catcher makes a weird animation where he's asking umpire for ball but never gets it. Overall though, amazing.

Gameplay: Playing on Veteran. Feels harder to hit in 09 than 08. Or maybe I'm just rusty. A lot of variety in the hits, catching animations and plays. Batting and pitching are so fine-tuned and fun.

Online: Tried to play one game and it was a lag fest. Well try again later but judging from other impressions, doesn't sound promising.

Overall: Not revolutionary leap up from 08 but still phenomenal. Can't wait to play more tonight.

So is the framerate at 60 fps when batting and pitching, unlike the demo?

Sorry if this has already been confirmed since the game came out. Just making sure.

Mrbob

Game is 60fps. Even in 1080P.

DoctorWho said:
Have you tried NHL 09's "Be a player" mode? That is definitely up there with RTTS 08.

Oh yeah. I actually liked the mode quite a bit. However, I'm a much bigger baseball fan so I guess RTTS just resonates with me more.

Windu

bill abner said:
I'm 3 games into my Reds franchise, sitting at 2-1 thanks to a 9th inning homer given up by Weathers to kill a potential sweep of the Mets.

So I decided to start a new franchise with everything set to CPU, sim out the season and see what shakes out.

So, a few random baseball geek notes:
  • The default roster has a lot of great/solid players setting in the FA Pool (Manny, Abreu, Dunn, Sheets, and so on). These players remained unsigned for the entire year. The CPU basically ignored them. (I have team financials turned on, fwiw)
  • During the off season FA stage, these players did sign with a new team after sitting out all of '09 -- except for Manny...who retired. Good FAs are being signed even though there were some aging players in the 2010 FA pool who could use a team, but no one that jumped out as a star that was languishing in the FA pool. Methinks we'll need a roster update to fix this.
  • I cannot find an easy way to view the league's trades. There is a league transaction page, but it has everything in it (call ups, DL moves) and it's a huge running file. I just want to see the trades. I'm not sure if I can.
  • Yanks over the Cubs in 5.
  • Playoff teams: Reds, Giants, Braves, Cubs, Yanks, Tribe, Angels, Red Sox
  • Some stats: 1 20 game winner (C.C.) and 5 19 game winners, including an aging Smoltz, who retired after the season.
  • 15 SPs with an ERA under 3.00
  • 28 hitters over .300
  • Carl Crawford hit .322, 58 2bs, 16 3b, 21 HR, and stole 63 bases. Jesus.
  • No 50 homer hitters
  • 10 with at least 40
  • 40 with at least 30
  • 2 players with season OPS over 1.0+
  • m stats:
  • worst hitting team: Oakland: .252
  • Best: Twins at .286
  • Best TEAM ERA: The Cubs at 3.15
  • Worst: Baltimore at 4.81 with the team average being around 4.12. This is the stat that jumped out as being a bit on the extreme side. The team ERAs, on the average, in this one test season, were a bit on the low side and a 3.15 TEAM ERA is pretty darn epic. For a team to pitch below 4.00 is very, very good. 3.15 is late 1960s era baseball back when the mound was high and Bob Gibson scared people.
http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/02/show-free-agents-and-test-sim.html

Shit, my copy of MLB 09 the show just crashed back to the XMB right after finishing up an RTTS game. It was about to go into Auto-Save and just completely crashed to the XMB instead. No error message or anything... :(

EDIT: This is kind of shocking. Upon rebooting the game and going back into my RTTS it started me off at the exact moment the game crashed. That is pretty impressive even if it came after a worrying crash.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DoctorWho said:
Shit, my copy of MLB 09 the show just crashed back to the XMB right after finishing up an RTTS game. It was about to go into Auto-Save and just completely crashed to the XMB instead. No error message or anything... :(

EDIT: This is kind of shocking. Upon rebooting the game and going back into my RTTS it started me off at the exact moment the game crashed. That is pretty impressive even if it came after a worrying crash.
Wow what?

Windu

Gamespot said:
Good news arrived on my desk this morning: Retail code for Sony's upcoming baseball game MLB 09: The Show. Having played the demo--and knowing the game's pedigree--I've been looking forward to playing the full game for a while now. I haven't had a ton of time with the game so far, but I'll be playing it over the weekend. If you've got questions you'd like to know about the game, hit me up in the comments below and I'll do my best to get as many as possible answered. Also, if you've got specific screenshot requests, let me know and I'll try and do a bunch of those as well.

Now on to my quick-hit thoughts on the game…

OPTIONS

My first stop each year with Road to the Show mode which is by far my favorite mode in the MLB series. This year's game has some features that serve to speed the game up which, in a mode solely devoted to your created player, is a good thing indeed. After you create your character, you're given a bunch of RTTS game mode options that you can tweak to tune RTTS to your preferences. These include:

Pitch Count: Setting this to "quick" will result in more strikes, fewer foul balls. Setting it to "full" will result in realistic pitch counts.

Umpire Balls and Strikes: Setting this to "variable" will result in umpires calling the game according to their built-in tendencies. Setting it to "standard" all umps call a game the same way. Finally, setting this to "off", the game will be called perfectly.

RTTS Fielding Opportunities: There are three settings here, all of which revolve around the frequency of your character's defensive appearances. "All" means that you play all chances involving your player. "Some" will result in only non-routine chances. "None" means that all your defensive chances are skipped. This is an ideal setting if you only want to focus on your player's batting.

RTTS Base Running Opportunities: Three settings here too, all tied to your base running chances. "All" means you'll play all base-running chances. "Lead runner" means you'll only run when you are the lead runner. "None" means you'll skip base running altogether.

RTTS CPU Teammate Hitting: This setting adjust the length of your teammates at-bats that you'll see as a base runner. "All" will result in the entire at-bat. "Half" will mean that half of the at-bat is skipped. "Quarter" will skip three-quarters of the at bat.

You can also enable or disable player ejections, player walkups and the broadcast presentation to truly streamline the game speed. There's also an interesting option that will toggle a CPU comeback handicap. Enabled, it will give the CPU a small hitting bonus when it is behind in a game, and a penalty when it's winning. That adjustment grows with a wider lead and is disabled when runners on base threaten the lead.

TRAINING

The core of RTTS still works much as in previous years: You'll have goals to accomplish during a game and completing them will earn you points you can put towards training in practically every aspect of your game, depending on your position. A new feature this year is actual training mini-games that will pop up periodically throughout the season (and in spring training). I played the base running minigame, which put my created player at second base and gave me twenty attempts to try and steal third. I really enjoy the base running controls in MLB 09 and this minigame gave me the chance to test them out to their fullest.

For each attempt, I had to keep my eye on the pitcher to try and time my release towards third with the beginning of his pitching motion. The minigame actually times your release and will grade you on how quick you are to start towards the bag, measuring it down to the hundredths of a second. You can also lead off the bag with the R1 button (and even lean forward by holding down the R1 button, which looks to give you a small advantage). Taking one step off the bag is listed as "aggressive"; taking two is "dangerous" and the game keeps track of each of your attempts. Successful steals will go towards your base running and base running aggressiveness attributes. Interestingly, if you happen to fail a steal attempt, you can still gain in your aggressiveness attribute if you have a strong lead-off. If your base-running is too haphazard, you can actually lose points.

SIGNS

During the game you'll get goals from your manager that try to compelte--everything from bringing in a runner in scoring position with a hit to turning a double play in the field. That's nothing new for the series--what is new are signals from your base coaches. During one base-running situation I found myself in, I was taken to a screen showing my third base coach giving a series of signals, like you'd see in a real game. A handy key described what the potential signals meant and that the coach would give the signal three times. Here's the key:

Hold belt = Bunt
Swipe leg = Steal
Top of cap = Hit and run
None of the above = Swing away
With a flurry of signals coming from the coach, some of them not even listed above, I watched as he finally tapped the top of his helmet three times. Hit and run, huh? I kept my eye on the batter and tried to time my lead-off with his bat and--what do you know?--the batter made contact and I was able to pull of a perfect hit and run. It will be interesting to see if the variety of signals given by the coach changes in different situations but my first impression of this feature was pretty positive.

[UPDATE: Sharp-eyed reader Kitty8472 pointed out that this feature was in last year's game and that, in that game, the third base coach would always give you the same sign. So I guess the question now becomes: have the signs changed up or become more varied this year?]

MISCELLANEOUS

It seems like my RTTS player's fielding ability is much worse from the get-go than my shortstop from last year. As a result, I've been blowing a bunch of rudimentary throws to first and I can't attribute them all to my shoddy skills on the controller. I wonder if the developers have intentionally made up-and-coming players play a bit rustier in the field at the beginning? Nonetheless, I've been pouring a lot of training points into fielding to prevent further errors.
Graphically this game is amazing. Not only are the light and shadow effects in the ballpark really nice, but there are some incredible player likenesses to be found. The Hideki Matsui character model, for example, is a spitting image of the Yankee's slugger. The frame rate too, seems to be holding up.
The only graphical nuisance in RTTS mode that I've found so far is the camera. It's mostly excellent but, when looking around before the pitch when fielding or running the bases, it takes a little too long for the camera to return to its original position, which can be frustrating if the pitcher begins his motion earlier than you anticipated.
If you've got questions about MLB 09: The Show or screenshot requestslet me know in the comments below and I'll do my best to answer you.

http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blog...om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;2

DoctorWho said:

That's pretty amazing.

Top Bottom