• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

HoTHiTTeR said:
I'd probably consider trading sexual favors in exchange for getting this game early.

None of the usual haunts in Toronto had this game in today. I would have done the same.

sun-drop

when is this out? i thought next month?

played the demo last night...hoooly smokes, if this is what ps3 focused sports games can look like .... bring back nfl gameday, freaking amazing looking, and thats right after playing killzone2 for the 1st time.

want

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
A buddy of mine who runs a local shop called me up to tell me he got the baseball games in today. I headed down there and unfortunately all he received was 2K9, UGH.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sun-drop said:
when is this out? i thought next month?

played the demo last night...hoooly smokes, if this is what ps3 focused sports games can look like .... bring back nfl gameday, freaking amazing looking, and thats right after playing killzone2 for the 1st time.

want

nba says no! But with this and Killzone PS3 is having a hell of a showcase.

Captain N

Musashi Wins! said:
nba says no! But with this and Killzone PS3 is having a hell of a showcase.

I feel like they could have really went somewhere with NHL. It was getting good! Like I said..I want everyone on the field next year controlled by a different GAFfer!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Yeah, yeah. I'm a fucking idiot. I don't care- I need help and can't find it anywhere else on the net.

Much as I am digging this game, have not played an MLB for years because the simmy aspect bugged me. But I love baseball and wanna play this game. And so I am- been playing all nite. But the manual assumes- far as I can tell- that some of the game mechanics are intuative enough that they don't have to explain much of anything.

So with that said: please help! :)

#1- When you are pitching, what the hell do the arrows coming off the ball mean?
#2- For that matter, what does the globe with the yellow ball in it mean? I assume that is the catcher's glove but am I supposed to put my ball there and then pitch? If so, once again, what are the arrows that come off the ball telling me? Do I put my ball cursor over the catcher glove icon or do I move it where the arrows are aiming...
#3- When batting ow the do I 'aim' the ball. I move the L3 stick up, down, left, right assuming it will affect the direction I 'aim' the ball, but far as I can tell, it's not doing anything.
#4- Why does the controller keep vibrating when I am at the plate? Is that supposed to be my heart rate or something? Or is it a play mechanic I need to be aware of but don't really understand?

Yes these are total noob questions but I love the game and want to get more into it...but I'm totally at a loss.

Thanks ya'll!

David

HoTHiTTeR

davidjaffe said:
Yeah, yeah. I'm a fucking idiot. I don't care- I need help and can't find it anywhere else on the net.

Much as I am digging this game, have not played an MLB for years because the simmy aspect bugged me. But I love baseball and wanna play this game. And so I am- been playing all nite. But the manual assumes- far as I can tell- that some of the game mechanics are intuative enough that they don't have to explain much of anything.

#1- When you are pitching, what the hell do the arrows coming off the ball mean?
#2- For that matter, what does the globe with the yellow ball in it mean? I assume that is the catcher's glove but am I supposed to put my ball there and then pitch? If so, once again, what are the arrows that come off the ball telling me? Do I put my ball cursor over the catcher glove icon or do I move it where the arrows are aiming...
#3- When batting ow the do I 'aim' the ball. I move the L3 stick up, down, left, right assuming it will affect the direction I 'aim' the ball, but far as I can tell, it's not doing anything.
#4- Why does the controller keep vibrating when I am at the plate? Is that supposed to be my heart rate or something? Or is it a play mechanic I need to be aware of but don't really understand?

Yes these are total noob questions but I love the game and want to get more into it...but I'm totally at a loss.

Thanks ya'll!

David

1) The Break of the pitch; what direction it will travel.
2) The glove is where ideally, your catcher wants you to throw a particular pitch to a batter. Probably a weak spot for the hitter you're throwing to.
3) I can't exactly remember in mlb08, but i think it puts emphesis on the where the bat travels. It might just be in my head, but I've always "aimed" my bat when I've swung. Even as far back as World Series BB on the Genesis.
4) Yup, you're nervous. When you're pitching it'll happen too. Also, when you're aiming a pitch, the controller will vibrate when you get to the edge of the strikezone. It's a subtle reminder that you're placing your pitch too far outside.

P.S. Overnight me a copy of the game. Kthx.

davidjaffe said:

Thanks ya'll!

David

1. 2. I assume you are talking about the ball icon that is pre-pitch? Those yellow arrows are the break. So ideally you want the end of the yellow arrows to match where you see the glove icon (the one with the yellow indicator in the middle). So that the ball breaks to that position. I also recommend turning off meter pitching and using classic. I found my pitching improved greatly upon doing this.

You should probably also set pitching so that you are viewing events from behind the pitcher. Like a broadcast. I find this helps me aim a lot easier.

3. and 4. are like Hothitter mentioned above. I also remember something about using the right analog stick to affect where a bunt would land. Be flicking it right before the pitch, your bunt would end up on the right side of the field and vice-versa.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Cool- thank you guys for all the great suggestions! It amazes me that - unless I just missed something- NONE of this stuff is covered in the manual or in the tip screens.

Either way- loving the game and eager to get back with it today and use the new stuff I've learned from you guys.

Thanks!

David

davidjaffe said:
Cool- thank you guys for all the great suggestions! It amazes me that - unless I just missed something- NONE of this stuff is covered in the manual or in the tip screens.

Either way- loving the game and eager to get back with it today and use the new stuff I've learned from you guys.

Thanks!

David

Most manuals for sports games are lacking. You either have to go online to their official website to find detailed information or sift through all the control information in the actual game.

The EA manuals are especially terrible for this.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

New ranger helmets look awful. They need to fire the person that designed them.

adg1034

I need to see my Metrodome rendered in loving HD.

Ooh- next year, we'll have one of the new stadiums. Color me excited.

Windu

adg1034 said:
I need to see my Metrodome rendered in loving HD.

Ooh- next year, we'll have one of the new stadiums. Color me excited.
Yep, a snow covered stadium. Have fun with that.

gray_fox224

Quick question, I believe that these screens were taken without messing with the border configurations in the options. Is it best to keep it like that and not stretch the screen?

New ranger helmets look awful. They need to fire the person that designed them

Further to add, I hated when the league implemented the new style helmets back in 05. At least some teams don't use them.

adg1034

Windu said:
Yep, a snow covered stadium. Have fun with that.

Only in March. And April. And probably part of May. And at the end of October when we win the World Series. You know, the usual.

Windu

I'm sure you can edit the borders out but I'm not sure if there is a option in the xmb for this. I don't have the game yet so your guess is as good as mine. But the images should look fine without the borders.

:Sigh:

I hope that the guys at Sony are still working on the online backend of this game.

Just got done playing an epic Yankee-Red Sox baseball game that I was winning 3-0 after I hit a two run bomb with Big Papi in the top of the 9th.

Not only was the game suffering from annoying latency throughout - affecting batting significantly - but the game disconnected when I only needed three outs to complete my one hitter shut out with Dice K.

I know it's not my internet connection as I have a 6Mbps downstream pipe. As polished as the offline game has been in the Show series over the past few years, the online game appears to continue to lag....

Shawnwhann said:
I know it's not my internet connection as I have a 6Mbps downstream pipe.

If your opponent has a slow connection, your fast one isn't going to make the difference. At least they're finally giving us a ping indicator this year.

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE BLUE JAYS POWDER BLUE JERSEYS?

:(

EDIT: You can only select it for them if they are away? Oh fuck!!! :(

DoctorWho said:
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE BLUE JAYS POWDER BLUE JERSEYS?

:(

EDIT: You can only select it for them if they are away? Oh fuck!!! :(

well technically you should only be able to use them on friday home games but yeah it kinda sucks its away only.

_Angelus_

Banned
I see kids playing baseball at the field I jog at,I hear the ping of those bats when I do another lap,such a sweet sound. Then I hear games on the radio being played by the college near me - the Nat. Champs - The Fresno State Bulldogs. And again today I see new pictures of MLB The Show,Jesus I want baseball to start already,heh.

Edit-oh lord,Windu I could buy you a couple of hot dogs and a cold beer.I love those new shots of Citi Field. I'm gonna try and get the manager to slip me a copy again today. Tried yesterday but he laughed and said he couldn't do that.

I just remembered something...which game is it that allows you to add your own player music,like player intros and home runs? Is it the Show or 2Ks game? Hopefully its both.
Right away I'd add Gary Cohen's home run calls to the games. I've got plenty of his play calling laying around in mp3 format so it would work out pretty good.

Top Bottom