• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

I see you like to think like the BBWA. hearsay and witch hunts. guilt by association.
I don't understand. Are you saying Clemens didn't use? That's no witch hunt, there's plenty of evidence. I already said I disagree with their opinion on Bagwell, he should be in. I disagree with Bagwell's personal opinions though.

Sanjuro

I don't understand. Are you saying Clemens didn't use? That's no witch hunt, there's plenty of evidence. I already said I disagree with their opinion on Bagwell, he should be in. I disagree with Bagwell's personal opinions though.

Of course it's a giant witch hunt.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
A pic of the New York Times sports section:

Rb3iX.jpg

You must have missed the media during the height of Bonds or congressional hearings, etc. etc.

But those werent witch hunts. People didnt just say Bonds got big he must be doping. There were reports, and didnt Bonds' trainer get busted? You have heard the saying "where there is smoke there is fire" before? This is an important issue to people and they have every right to say that we dont want cheaters get any additional recognition if there is real evidence that they cheated. I would vote for Bagwell since he wasnt named in any reports but no fucking way would I ever vote for Sammy, Roger, or Barry.

Sanjuro

But those werent witch hunts. People didnt just say Bonds got big he must be doping. There were reports, and didnt Bonds' trainer get busted? You have heard the saying "where there is smoke there is fire" before? This is an important issue to people and they have every right to say that we dont want cheaters get any additional recognition if there is real evidence that they cheated. I would vote for Bagwell since he wasnt named in any reports but no fucking way would I ever vote for Sammy, Roger, or Barry.

Only fools who want to believe they have some moral high ground over professional athletes consider this an important issue. That description of yourself is pretty much everything wrong with the BBWAA.

Only fools who want to believe they have some moral high ground over professional athletes consider this an important issue. That description of yourself is pretty much everything wrong with the BBWAA.

Clearly we are going nowhere with this but I dont think it is claiming any moral high ground to say that people shouldnt use drugs to give themselves an advantage at sports. This isnt some issue that the BBWAA just made up, it was so big that the government of the United States of America had to get involved. You might not think it matters but the majority of baseball fans do seem to think it matters, or at least the outspoken ones do. I wish there were no cheaters, or rapists, or killers, or racists, or any of that stuff in the HoF. We cant go back and remove people for bad acts but we can prevent any new people from getting in.

Sanjuro

Clearly we are going nowhere with this but I dont think it is claiming any moral high ground to say that people shouldnt use drugs to give themselves an advantage at sports. This isnt some issue that the BBWAA just made up, it was so big that the government of the United States of America had to get involved. You might not think it matters but the majority of baseball fans do seem to think it matters, or at least the outspoken ones do. I wish there were no cheaters, or rapists, or killers, or racists, or any of that stuff in the HoF. We cant go back and remove people for bad acts but we can prevent any new people from getting in.

Clearly we are going nowhere with this.

Ty Cobb was maybe the biggest a-hole the sport has ever seen, yet he received 222 out of a possible 226 Hall of Fame votes in 1936.

That was also a very different time. How much was the media beating the drum for keep Ty out back then, probably not much at all. Today a monster like Cobb wouldnt stand a chance of election.

That was also a very different time. How much was the media beating the drum for keep Ty out back then, probably not much at all. Today a monster like Cobb wouldnt stand a chance of election.

Oh, I agree, totally different time. I don't know when the BBWAA became the morality police, but it's dumb. Hall of Fame status has nothing to do with what a player did off the field, it's all about on the field accomplishments.

Bonds and Clemens were robbed.

Talon

Oh, I agree, totally different time. I don't know when the BBWAA became the morality police, but it's dumb. Hall of Fame status has nothing to do with what a player did off the field, it's all about on the field accomplishments.

Even when that affects how they performed on the field?

Even when that affects how they performed on the field?

When MLB knew about the problem, and did nothing to prevent it, I think the players are mostly absolved from that taint.

I also give less weight to the 'roid factor for Bonds and Clemens, because those guys were likely Hall of Fame talents long before they started poppin' pills. Sosa, on the other hand, may never have amounted to anything without unnatural enhancement.

Early 2000's will be an era that I'll miss. 40 home runs a year? Decent, I guess.

Yet the single season home run record for my KC Royals is still 36, set by the legendary Steve Balboni in 1985. Ugh.

When MLB knew about the problem, and did nothing to prevent it, I think the players are mostly absolved from that taint.

I also give less weight to the 'roid factor for Bonds and Clemens, because those guys were likely Hall of Fame talents long before they started poppin' pills. Sosa, on the other hand, may never have amounted to anything without unnatural enhancement.

I thought that baseball absolutely wanted tougher penalties and stricter testing but the PA fought them on it for a long time?

I thought that baseball absolutely wanted tougher penalties and stricter testing but the PA fought them on it for a long time?

I don't recall what MLB had asked for prior to the whole BALCO thing blowing up, but regardless, you can't lay all the blame on MLBPA. The deal between the two is bargained. If MLB wanted drug testing, they could have pushed harder for it. Secretly, though, they knew that chicks dig the long ball, so they let it slide, in my opinion.

Where did you hear that? That is fantastic news if true. I am really surprised the PA would agree to that.

How is it fantastic? It's non-news. There's no evidence at all that HGH has any effect on performance. None. Anyone who believes that HGH had anything to do with the explosion of offense in the '90s is delusional.

Friggz

How is it fantastic? It's non-news. There's no evidence at all that HGH has any effect on performance. None. Anyone who believes that HGH had anything to do with the explosion of offense in the '90s is delusional.

there is no proof that steroids helps make someone better either. writers still found a way to make people believe otherwise.

Friggz

Steinbrenner confirmed today that the yankees goal of reaching 189million isnt just going to be for next year.

Talk about a slap in the face to the fans. I think they should consider selling the team.

Steinbrenner confirmed today that the yankees goal of reaching 189million isnt just going to be for next year.

Talk about a slap in the face to the fans. I think they should consider selling the team.

Why? They're still talking about winning World Series, just that you don't need to have insane payrolls to do it.

Friggz

Why? They're still talking about winning World Series, just that you don't need to have insane payrolls to do it.

i understand that, but that means pocketing the insane amount of money this team makes and pissing the fans off in the process.

They just opened a new stadium, they will be receiving hundreds of millions of dollars from their YES Network deal with News Corp. and all the extra cash they’ll receive from MLB’s new national broadcast agreements. Not to mention the money they make globally. I can somewhat understand doing it for the 2014 season for the luxury tax. But holding back going foward? I wont fly with this fan base.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
normally id agree 100%.....but half of that is in 4 guys for the foreseeable future.
most teams have shitty contracts that they want to unload. The braves paid 10 million for derek lowe and 5.5 million for jurrjens to pitch in AAA. Then there is Uggla and his sorry ass.

Before that was kenshin kawakami.

Opiate

I'm not sure I agree, and this is coming from a dedicated stats-head who gets in to enormous trouble with Sports-GAF for being too rational.

First, the hall specifically has a "character clause," which states that they induct people with "integrity and character." It's literally written in to their decision making process.

And the response would be, "yes, but that sucks," and I would strongly disagree. These people are entertainers, first and foremost. That is their job. And I most definitely find myself less enthusiastic about rooting for jerks, even if they happen to be on my team of choice.

Top Bottom