• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Friggz

keith law is blasting the trade (rightfully)

hope the yankees farm has a good season so they can package up something for stanton.

andycapps

Posting late, but I'm excited about the Braves outfield. Hoping that Chris Johnson will be at least solid this year. Was great to have Chipper and he won us quite a few games with his bat this last year, but he lost us at least several games because of his fielding.

BTW, watching Ken Burns' Baseball documentary on Netflix lately, and I'm ready for opening day. Yesterday.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
here is that keith law article. (free insider with the windows 8 espn app, but can't copy paste from it....sooo screenshots!)

iq8MTAP6FrH74.png

iHAZ2doSBDOTZ.png

Friggz

They need to get high ceiling guys with those 3 first round draft picks and not use it on Cito Culver types.

its amazing how well the yankees do late in the draft, yet find a way to fuck up their first pick. thankfully they have a few first round picks to get some decent talent even if the draft is weaker than recent years.

i also hate reading about gerrit cole.

rekameohs

Banned
Posting late, but I'm excited about the Braves outfield. Hoping that Chris Johnson will be at least solid this year. Was great to have Chipper and he won us quite a few games with his bat this last year, but he lost us at least several games because of his fielding.

If you didn't like Chipper because of his fielding, then you are going to absolutely love Chris Johnson.

Malo

Banned
its amazing how well the yankees do late in the draft, yet find a way to fuck up their first pick. thankfully they have a few first round picks to get some decent talent even if the draft is weaker than recent years.

i also hate reading about gerrit cole.
The farm system would be a lot better if they did as well with their first round picks as they do with picks later in the draft.

At least we got Heathcott out of it.

:/

andycapps

If you didn't like Chipper because of his fielding, then you are going to absolutely love Chris Johnson.

Great.. Maybe he can be used in another trade. Atlanta has roughly 10 million more to spend, if they want. Or they can hold out for a while. And Chipper was a great defensive 3B, just not for the last few years. He's made great plays but just isn't as sharp as he was, which was understandable at his age. He made up for it with how much he could teach younger players and his bat, and for the fact that he deserved to play until he wanted to retire.

What I've seen from Chip Towers was that they plan to use Johnson in a platoon role at third. I'm assuming with Juan Francisco. Any word on if Francisco has laid off the Taco Bell in the offseason? Seems like a really talented guy that could be great, if he'd just focus on staying in shape and being consistent.

Windu

Great.. Maybe he can be used in another trade. Atlanta has roughly 10 million more to spend, if they want. Or they can hold out for a while.

What I've seen from Chip Towers was that they plan to use Johnson in a platoon role at third. I'm assuming with Juan Francisco. Any word on if Francisco has laid off the Taco Bell in the offseason?
already been hearing the "best shape of his life" reports.

Friggz

The farm system would be a lot better if they did as well with their first round picks as they do with picks later in the draft.

At least we got Heathcott out of it.

:/

i mean, heathcott does have star potential. just needs to stay healthy. just that cole has a lot more trade value. i would have packaged cole up for stanton.

Malo

Banned
i mean, heathcott does have star potential. just needs to stay healthy. just that cole has a lot more trade value. i would have packaged cole up for stanton.
I agree, but Cole would have been great especially since we don't have a high end pitching prospect right now with Banuelos being out for the year, and Depaula, and Hensely not having pitched a full season in the minors yet.

Hey, I like Ian Kennedy
Fuck that trade.

McNei1y

I like that the brothers are playing on the same team. How often does that happen? I mean we had the LaRoche brothers in Pittsburgh, the Alomars in Chicago, the Molinas in Anaheim, the Hairstons in San Deigo... It's cool.

Windu

the braves need to trade for kate upton. wonder what it would take to pry her away from Detroit.

I like that the brothers are playing on the same team. How often does that happen? I mean we had the LaRoche brothers in Pittsburgh, the Alomars in Chicago, the Molinas in Anaheim, the Hairstons in San Deigo... It's cool.

The Giles brothers also played for one season in San Diego. 2007 I think.

rekameohs

Banned
3B Prado
CF Parra
2B Hill
LF Kubel
1B Goldschmidt
C Montero
RF Ross
SS Pennington

C Nieves
IF Chavez
IF Bloomquist
IF McDonald
OF Eaton
OF Hinkse (the fuck was this one about)

SP Kennedy
SP Miley
SP McCarthy
SP Cahill
SP Skaggs / Corbin / Delgado

RP Collmenter
RP Reynolds
RP Ziegler
RP Bell
RP Hernandez
RP Putz

All things considered, that's a very solid lineup up and down. No standouts and all, but there aren't really any weak spots whatsoever. I really like the backup options if someone gets hurt (though Montero would still be brutal). Hopefully a solid overall team can last. Having multiple leadoff options with Prado and Eaton is something I've been dying to see for a long time.

This trade still sucks though.

Friggz

3B Prado
LF Parra
2B Hill
RF Kubel
1B Goldschmidt
C Montero
CF Ross
SS Pennington

C Nieves
IF Chavez
IF Bloomquist
IF McDonald
OF Eaton
OF Hinkse (the fuck was this one about)

SP Kennedy
SP Miley
SP McCarthy
SP Cahill
SP Skaggs / Corbin / Delgado

RP Collmenter
RP Reynolds
RP Ziegler
RP Bell
RP Hernandez
RP Putz

All things considered, that's a very solid lineup and and down. No standouts and all, but there aren't really any weak spots whatsoever. I really like the backup options if someone gets hurt (though Montero would still be brutal). Hopefully a solid overall team can last.

This trade still sucks though.

Goldschmidt splits would scare the hell out of me.

rekameohs

Banned
For me, I'm still excited to see what Goldschmidt's numbers will be next year, because he had an absolutely dreadful April and first half of May. He was in the mid .150's and 1 HR for a really long time. The fact that he finished with .286/20/82 is pretty incredible for a rookie on a .500 team. I don't have month by month splits, but just from casual observing, he started out as a black hole of suck vs. RHP in the start of the year and then improved considerably. I could be wrong.

He's one of my favorite players to watch.

He also has very good clutch numbers, which seem to definitely be J. Upton's biggest problem. If you believe stats like those.

Windu

Justin upton said:
Bittersweet day for me. So happy to get the chance to play with my brother in Atlanta but will miss the city and the fans here in Phoenix.

Top Bottom