• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

kingocfs

Home sick and watching Hot Stove...this is terrible.

"Joe Maddon is definitely the face of the Rays. He tweets...he does everything." - Harold Reynolds

Fatalah

I wanna see the receipts

page2_g_rafbants2_576.jpg

Come on Orioles fan, why can't we all just get along?

Enron

Banned
A-Rod is never stepping on a major league field ever again. At the very least, the Yankees will release him and then fight over the money. Hopefully the Yanks will still have to pony up, though. Because fuck New York.

A-Rod is never stepping on a major league field ever again. At the very least, the Yankees will release him and then fight over the money. Hopefully the Yanks will still have to pony up, though. Because fuck New York.

Unless there is specific language about steroids in his contract (doubtful because A-Rod was never tied to anything in 2007), the Yankees can't get out of it. They tried to void Giambi's contract when the shit about him came out, but their hands were tied.

Enron

Banned
Unless there is specific language about steroids in his contract (doubtful because A-Rod was never tied to anything in 2007), the Yankees can't get out of it. They tried to void Giambi's contract when the shit about him came out, but their hands were tied.

Yeah, it's a long shot that they get out of it, but they will fight as much as they can and perhaps try to reach a settlement. Either way, A-Rod has played his last inning as a major league player.

Wasnt there talk about the Marlins wanting him this offseason? If Arod gets like a 50 games suspension the following season and the Yankees do cut him I could see a team like the Marlins picking him up for cheap. He would still sell some tickets for them.

Sanjuro

You guys are absolutely nuts.

2013 $28M
2014 $25M
2015 $21M
2016 $20M
2017 $20M

Simply, that is going to be paid in some sort of manner.

Wasnt there talk about the Marlins wanting him this offseason? If Arod gets like a 50 games suspension the following season and the Yankees do cut him I could see a team like the Marlins picking him up for cheap. He would still sell some tickets for them.

Lol you don't cut guys making $30 million a year. They will have to work out a buyout or trade him and pick up like 90% of his salary. Hard to see that happen when he's not even healthy right now. He's got the Yankees over a barrel.

Lol you don't cut guys making $30 million a year. They will have to work out a buyout or trade him and pick up like 90% of his salary. Hard to see that happen when he's not even healthy right now. He's got the Yankees over a barrel.

That is true. If they cant get out of his contract, and without seeing the contract and the behavior clauses it is impossible to say if they can or not, but I bet they try to buy him out or pay a lot of it. I was only replying to Enron saying his playing days are over, I dont believe that will be the case at all.

alstein

I'd like to see a rule change where teams are fined the value of the contract if a player is busted for PEDs (basically instead of the team playing the player, the team pays MLB while the player is suspended)

Also, there is precedent for suspensions without testing failures- that's what happened to Jordan Schafer (he sill maintains his innocence, and I have doubts whether he did it, he was only a 40-man guy when he got hit)

Fox318

Maybe they can take him on a plane and push him out over North Korea.

Problem solved.

Malo

Banned
I will be absolutely shocked if they can void Alex's contract. We're stuck with that monster contract.

Thanks Hank!

Malo

Banned
Whose worse Hank or Hal?
There's nothing bad about Hal. Yankees' fans are just bitching about him because of the budget he's imposing for 2014.

Hank on the other hand gave A-rod that ridiculous contract. There's a reason you haven't heard from him or about him since then.

BFIB

Looking pretty good for the Cards. And with so many young power arms there's no need to go overboard on signing Wainwright. I'd still love to keep him but if some team offers him the world then we can let him go.

There's another round of solid arms currently sitting in the lower minors as well.

Looking pretty good for the Cards. And with so many young power arms there's no need to go overboard on signing Wainwright. I'd still love to keep him but if some team offers him the world then we can let him go.
Signing him might allow us to trade a young arm or two to plug up that middle infield and make a run at another title before Holliday and Molina get too old. Hopefully we can extend him before he hits the FA market because Adam will get paid very handsomely if he lands on the open market.

Whether we keep them or trade, it's a good problem to have though. Between Miller/Martinez/Rosenthal/Wacha in the high minors, getting two good MLB starting pitchers out of that group isn't too optimistic, right?

what are you saying no too, that hes not still productive? before felix broke his hand, he was hitting 276 with a .358 on base, know how many third baseman had a higher onbase than arod before he got hurt? 4. obviously his numbers dropped after that, becuase any player coming back from a wrist injury is going to see a loss in numbers becuase they cant drive the ball.

and please tell me, when was jeters last walk off homer? hell, even his last walk off hit. yea, arod compiles numbers here and there, he has a lot more opportunites to do so, but if i need to look back too Byung-Hyun Kim for jeters last walk off homer, than you know im going back a long time. youre only saving grace in this argument is that 42% of jeters homers were of the go ahead variety, while arods sits at 32% of his. but those numbers dont really mean anything.

well it just means something in the eyes of people. Jeter has had more go ahead hits. perception and all that. hard for people to get the taste of 12 strikeouts out of their mind. but I understand what you are saying.
as far as his production going forward, while yes, he was having a decent to god season people want more out of A-Rod based on his past history. of course we won't get that because he is in decline and will decline more going forward.

there isn't going to be a suspension based on allegations.

Sure , there are obviously reports of people getting pelted with batteries at every Philadelphia sporting event.

did you enjoy it?

aFIGurANT

Signing him might allow us to trade a young arm or two to plug up that middle infield and make a run at another title before Holliday and Molina get too old. Hopefully we can extend him before he hits the FA market because Adam will get paid very handsomely if he lands on the open market.

Whether we keep them or trade, it's a good problem to have though. Between Miller/Martinez/Rosenthal/Wacha in the high minors, getting two good MLB starting pitchers out of that group isn't too optimistic, right?

I feel like a trade isn't bad but if you lose two of those guys and then neither of the two you keep pans out over the next five years, you are back to having to pay a proven pitcher like Waino right away, anyway. I mostly lurk over at STL Today but people there will tell you that basically no prospect is worth giving up, for anyone. Probably because they saw Wainwright winning a WS for us after his trade from ATL.

Either way I say you keep all four of those guys and just keep trying to find/create/trade for that defensive SS. Unless you can get Lindor or someone like that for one of em. Mayybe then.

The Padres have avoided arbitration with Chase Headley, agreeing to a 1-year, $8.575 million deal. Clayton Richard is their only pending case remaining.

The Mariners have avoided arbitration with Shawn Kelley, agreeing to a 1-year, $0.935 million deal. Mariners now have no more pending cases and currently have a 2013 payroll of $69,797,500.

Top Bottom