• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

McNei1y

I'm really tempted to get a PS3 and The Show, but with the PS4 being announced soon, I'll just wait for that.

Do it! I'm doing it. Knowing that the PS4 is going to be announced and released within the year is annoying but I think it's totally worth it. My reasoning: I'll finally be able to play a good baseball game all year... I will also have my own blu ray player!

Just learned about he Go Jays Go chants at Leaf games. Leaf fans who are getting pissed off can take a hike. For years we've been hearing Leafs chants everywhere; Jays games, WWE Raw/Smackdown, Conan in Toronto (this was especially pathetic). Fucking everywhere. As soon as they get a taste of their own medicine, they are start whining? LOL

Macattk15

So now the Mariners are writing protection for themselves into Felix's contract due to elbow concerns.

What can they legally write?

If your elbow blows up your contract is null and void?

andycapps

Heh, yeah, one of the best JRPGs to come out in the past few years was on the PS2 (Persona 4) and that came out 2 years AFTER the release of the PS3. A lot of them this gen were very mediocre to just bad. Which the exception of a few, Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles come to mind. Other than that, a bunch of meh.

Portables though, they had a load of great ones.

I'm not an RPG player at all, so it's been a great generation for me. The most RPG'ish game I played this gen was Borderlands. On topic, as much as I love sports and MLB in particular, I hate sports games. MLB the Show and such, while great games, just don't have any appeal for me.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So now the Mariners are writing protection for themselves into Felix's contract due to elbow concerns.

Only a portion of the salary will be guaranteed. The rest will be triggered by milestones such as innings pitched, K's, games started, etc.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just learned about he Go Jays Go chants at Leaf games. Leaf fans who are getting pissed off can take a hike. For years we've been hearing Leafs chants everywhere; Jays games, WWE Raw/Smackdown, Conan in Toronto (this was especially pathetic). Fucking everywhere. As soon as they get a taste of their own medicine, they are start whining? LOL

Well to be fair it's not like this is the first time it's happened.

Idiot Toronto fans love to start chanting whatever team is coming up next when things go bad for whatever team they're watching.

I know I've heard "go jays go" chants before this season.

Rosenthal says the Mets are the front-runners for Michael Bourn with the Mariners and Rangers still in the mix. He also says the Cubs and Indians are still in the discussion. Neither the Cubs or Indians would have to forfeit their 1st round draft pick if they signed Bourn (the Cubs would forfeit their 2nd round pick; the Indians already gave up their 2nd round pick when they signed Nick Swisher).

McNei1y

Does anyone want to start a league in The Show or should we wait to even gather people until we see what the online is like..

Malo

Banned
A PS3 is worth it for the Show.

Come....join us......

Do it! I'm doing it. Knowing that the PS4 is going to be announced and released within the year is annoying but I think it's totally worth it. My reasoning: I'll finally be able to play a good baseball game all year... I will also have my own blu ray player!
I had a PS3 before but I sold it since I barely played it and needed money for books. If I can one for around $200 I'll get one.

The last time it was the year of the snake in the Chinese calendar was 2001. It's the year of the snake in 2013.

:p
That was a great world series up until the 9th inning of game 7.

Fuck you, Luis Gonzalez.

Rosenthal says the Mets are the front-runners for Michael Bourn with the Mariners and Rangers still in the mix. He also says the Cubs and Indians are still in the discussion. Neither the Cubs or Indians would have to forfeit their 1st round draft pick if they signed Bourn (the Cubs would forfeit their 2nd round pick; the Indians already gave up their 2nd round pick when they signed Nick Swisher).
PECOTA has the Mets goin 80-82. Winning record with Bourn confirmed!

McNei1y

I'm already on it.

My first act is to ban no-huddle and all cheese. Also, eznark can't use Braun.

ij4mrwkhsuquiw0u4p.gif

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

x amount of games during your career..

Enron

Banned
Braves cave to pressure, scrap the "Screaming Brave" logo on spring training caps. Instead we get the boring old script A. <insertpoliticalmemehere>

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I went on FG to look up Walden's splits. Ended up on Kimbrel's page. I am still completely blown away by what he did last year.

50.2 K%, 8.29 K:BB, 0.68 SIERA, 21 FIP-

Just so much WAT

Ryan Madson had to shut down his rehab because of elbow soreness. He's expected to now start the season on the DL and he may need another surgery.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
A 12mm AAV is pretty reasonable actually. Only 4 years guaranteed. Indians did OK here, not considering what this means for their roster.

Lol @ Boras

kingocfs

Schattenjäger;47598163 said:
Mets are such a tease

Sounds like Boras didn't want to wait 2-3 weeks to settle the draft issue? I don't get it, Twitter is telling me they were otherwise really close.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giants face challenge designing 2nd championship ring:

Once the Giants swept Detroit in the World Series, they faced a problem that 29 other major-league teams would love to have:

Two years after creating a distinctive, symbolic and aesthetically pleasing World Series ring to celebrate their first championship in their 53 seasons in San Francisco, the Giants had to create another bejeweled masterpiece to mark their second title in three seasons.

Imagine the pope gazing at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and telling Michelangelo, "It's perfect. Now I need you do to another one for my bedroom."

Perhaps that analogy is overstated, but Giants officials and the designers at Tiffany & Co. dived into the design process with a comparable challenge: to create a second ring with the same "wow" factor as the first, celebrating the uniqueness of the 2012 World Series win while simultaneously marking the team's rare achievement of two Series wins in such short order.

"It will definitely be distinctive and different because they are two very incredible accomplishments on their own," said Staci Slaughter, the Giants' senior vice president of communications.

Tom O'Rourke, Tiffany's vice president of business sales, allowed that the 2012 ring will feature "a subtle nod" to the 2010 championship.

The Giants will not mimic the Boston Red Sox, who won World Series in 2004 and 2007. The Red Sox forged a different ring for players who were part of both championships, depicting two World Series trophies instead of one.

Every Giant will get the same ring in a pregame ceremony April 7 during the first home series of the season. All full-time Giants employees get rings, though suit-and-tie workers receive a less expensive and scaled-down version of the player rings, which can retail for $10,000 to $20,000.

The Giants and Tiffany have settled on a design for the new ring, but neither organization would spill any key details.

They were hard-pressed to top the beauty of the 2010 ring, which Tiffany also produced. Cast in white gold, it featured 77 diamonds weighing roughly 1 carat, many of them used to create the interlocking "SF" logo on the top of the ring.

One of its more distinctive elements is a Golden Gate Bridge tower in yellow gold on one side. The other side has the World Series trophy underneath a ribbon that bears the recipient's last name.

O'Rourke offered one clue when a reporter suggested that the new ring has to be yellow gold if the first one was white gold.

"White metal is very fashionable these days," he said. "I think the general feeling in the sports-ring world is that yellow gold is much more traditional and white is more current. It's rare you find anyone saying, 'We did white last time. Let's do yellow this time.' "

Going through the process in 2010 helped the Giants this winter. Though they solicited other designs, they quickly chose Tiffany, which is one of the world's great jewelry makers but not a big player in the championship-ring market.

The Giants also learned from some mistakes.

This year's design process was far more democratic than the last time, when some players and team officials felt slighted because they were not consulted for suggestions for a ring that symbolized eight months of toil and a groundbreaking achievement for a team that had not won a World Series since 1954.

The 2010 ring design was more of a dictum from the ownership suite than a collaborative process.

This year, as many as 10 players were consulted. Giants officials solicited opinions from a variety of groups: tenured players, manager Bruce Bochy and general manager Brian Sabean, and some of the many Latin players who contributed to the championship.

"The baseball people had a significant say in what they wanted to see in the 2012 ring," O'Rourke said. "They took our initial design concepts and got input from around the table. Revised designs then went to specific player reps as well as the manager."

For instance, relief pitcher Jeremy Affeldt suggested the ring memorialize the four-game sweep of the Tigers in the World Series.

"That's not a common thing, and it would be cool to see that on the ring," Affeldt said. It's unclear whether his suggestion was used.

Beyond the ring, team officials have spent much time this offseason debating how to mark the 2012 championship as a feat unto itself while letting the baseball world know, "Hey! We won two in three seasons! Nobody does that anymore!"

Hint: Both World Series trophies are being carried on a tour around the country.

"That is a challenge to, to make sure everything is distinct enough, from what the ring looks like to what plaques we place on the Port Walk to our logo and our video presentations," Slaughter said.

"How do we present ourselves in 2013 differently than we did in 2011?"

What a problem to have.

The Tiffany connection

The name "Tiffany" is associated more with high-end jewelry, crystal and decorative stained-glass lamp shades than sports memorabilia, though the company has delved into the sports business for more than a century.

Tiffany was commissioned to create a trophy for the Belmont Stakes thoroughbred horse race in 1896.

The company has produced the NFL's sterling silver Super Bowl trophy since the game's inception in the 1960s and the World Series trophy since 2000.

It began making championship rings in the late 1980s, when sports mogul Jack Kent Cooke, a loyal Tiffany customer and owner of the Washington Redskins, asked the company to create Super Bowl rings after the NFL team won a championship.

Tiffany is a minor player in the business, whose standard-bearers are Jostens Inc. and American Achievement Corp., which sells rings under the ArtCarved and Balfour names.

Though he lives on the East Coast, Tiffany vice president of business sales Tom O'Rourke admitted he unabashedly rooted for the Giants to win the 2012 World Series after the company won the contract to design their 2010 rings.

"From our perspective, we were happy the Giants had won because you develop relationships with the people you are working with," O'Rourke said. "In our own way, we get to celebrate the championship along with the team."

As Rosenthal said earlier, Indians had nothing to lose. They were entering with a low payroll and they had already lost their 2nd round pick by signing Nick Swisher.

The Rockies have avoided arbitration with Dexter Fowler, agreeing on a 2-year, $11.6 million contract.

The Reds have avoided arbitration with Shin Soo-Choo, agreeing on a 1-year, $7.375 million contract.

rekameohs

Banned
So are there any bizarre intercontinental Opening Days this year? Lord knows I'd still stay up late to watch a game either way. I need it in my veins.

Top Bottom