• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Madtown_

I live out of state, so I think I'm going to finally do the MLB.tv sub.. I can't go to games, and even if I could, it would pay for itself in a couple games.

Same here. I moved out of state, so it'll be a $130 well spent.

I haven't signed up yet, but to those who have, are you able to watch games from last season?

Sanjuro

Bah. They changed the MLB app so I can't listen to the audio broadcasts without subscription. Overall, the app is much more fluid than prior years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yankees sued in order to keep trademark to the phrase Evil Empire. And they won.

A panel of trademark judges in Washington, D.C., earlier this month denied a request from a private entrepreneur, known as Evil Enterprises, Inc., to register the trademark for the phrase "Baseballs Evil Empire."

Evil Enterprises wanted the exclusive right to market merchandise using that phrase, which was coined in regard to the Yankees by Larry Lucchino, the president and chief executive of the Boston Red Sox, back in 2002. Upon learning that the Yankees had signed sought-after Cuban pitcher Jose Contreras, Lucchino was widely reported as saying: "The evil empire extends its tentacles even into Latin America."

Evil Enterprises initially applied for a trademark back in July of 2008.

But the Yankees objected, arguing that they had the rights to the phrase—at least when used in connection with baseball.

Part of the Yankees' argument: a concession that in the baseball world, they are, in fact, the "Evil Empire." In its legal papers, the team referenced a number of articles from the past decade using the term in connection with the Yankees, and conceded that the team has "implicitly embraced" the "Evil Empire" theme by playing music from Star Wars during their home games.

The panel of judges sided with the Yankees, ruling that the Yankees are strongly associated with the phrase. Allowing anyone else to use the phrase exclusively would likely cause confusion, ruled the judges.

"In short, the record shows that there is only one Evil Empire in baseball and it is the New York Yankees," wrote the judges. "Accordingly, we find that [the Yankees] have a protectable trademark right in the term . . . as used in connection with baseball."

Zep

Banned
revere single
revere steal
young gets him over
utley knocks him in
-----------------------

Please let that happen a lot this year.
keep jimmy from leading off

Syrinx

Bah, everyone's talking about the Blue Jays.

I thought Wheeler looked very impressive. Seemed to have some control issues early on (though he was generally keeping the ball close to the strike zone), but after he got Harper, he seemed to settle in. His breaking stuff looks pretty good for a guy at his point, though there were a couple times he missed up with it. Very good fastball, but we knew he had that. Wasn't aware of the sink or movement on it though.

I'm certainly excited to see him up with the Mets later this year, probably around the same time Harvey came up last year.

kingocfs

Bah, everyone's talking about the Blue Jays.

I thought Wheeler looked very impressive. Seemed to have some control issues early on (though he was generally keeping the ball close to the strike zone), but after he got Harper, he seemed to settle in. His breaking stuff looks pretty good for a guy at his point, though there were a couple times he missed up with it. Very good fastball, but we knew he had that. Wasn't aware of the sink or movement on it though.

I'm certainly excited to see him up with the Mets later this year, probably around the same time Harvey came up last year.

Yeah, it has some serious bite. Didn't look like he was using much effort at all and the ball was coming out at 95 consistently. Pretty awesome stuff.

Parch

I think we just witnessed Adam Lind's high point in 2013.
Could be the make it or break it year for Lind. Good players on the bench ready to steal his AB's if he stinks. Platoon DH vs righties might be Lind's only work in a healthy lineup.

Top Bottom