• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Zep

Banned
I never claimed it to be a risk, almost all moves are though regardless. Still, did he not win a World Series? Don't tell me Will Smith got you as well, Zep.

Fair but I'm still giving the majority all of the credit to Sampson and Beinfest.

Sanjuro

Fair but I'm still giving the majority all of the credit to Sampson and Beinfest.

Your point there is certainly valid, but ph33nix and Link would disagree with that as well. If the point is Loria took over and did nothing to that 2003 team, then that would mean Beinfest did nothing as well. In reality, neither is the case.

I just don't like revisionist historians. I'm sure Link just doesn't want to admit to Luis Castillo ever being decent.

Just joined the league this year...looking forward to it...been playing in a couple other leagues for about 15 years...thanks for letting me join (team name is Cuban Jailbait)...

Hardball Times - Greatest three year defensive peaks since 1920 by position:

Code:
Name 		Years 		Pos. 	3 yr Defensive runs/150 	3 Yr Defensive runs
Ivan Rodriguez 	1996-1998 	C 		21.8 				65.0
Albert Pujols 	2006-2008 	1B 		22.0 				66.0
Orlando Hudson 	2003-2005 	2B 		23.1 				62.0
Mark Belanger 	1975-1977 	SS 		27.6 				82.6
Brooks Robinson 1967-1969 	3B 		27.8 				88.3
Barry Bonds 	1989-1991 	LF 		26.9 				83.0
Andruw Jones 	1998-2000 	CF 		29.9 				96.0
Jesse Barfield 	1985-1987 	RF 		21.8 				68.7
A bit late to this but are they using Total Zone Rating for all the years without Defensive Runs Saved data like B-R does for their WAR calculations?

Total Zone Rating is a fielding measure developed by Sean Smith and is used in WAR for all seasons prior to 2003. Total Zone Rating (TZR) is a non-observational fielding system that relies has various forms based on the level of data available ranging from basic fielding and pitching stats to play-by-play including batted ball types and hit location. As much data as is available is used for each season.

When play-by-play is available TZR will use information like ground balls fielded by infielders and outfielders to estimate hits allowed by infielders. Balls fielded by outfielders to estimate their hits allowed. It uses baserunner advancement and out information to determine arm ratings for outfielders, double play acumen by infielders and arm ratings for catchers.
Sounds like a bunch of guessimation based on boxscores for every season prior to 2003 then. Who knows if their old system favors or discredits the old timers compared to the more modern way of evaluating defense?

RBH

If I wanted to split an MLB.tv subscription with a couple other people, would there be any issues in regards to having multiple people signed in at the same time?

rekameohs

Banned
Russel Martin has withdrawn from Team Canada because the Pirates were concerned about him playing shortstop.

He didn't want to play catcher because of the grind it would add on top of the regular season.

Yankees should've tried him at SS. Couldn't have been any worse than Nunez.

McNei1y

You're better off buying a used one for real cheap.

I've been looking around and I can still only find used PS3's for like 200$ at the cheapest. As of now, I'd rather just spend 50$ more and get a PS3 bundle with games and have the system sent to me in a day.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I won't be getting PS4 for at least a year after release. Throwing down a ton of money on a new console would be counter-active to my attempts to finally move out.

I'm in the same situation but I finally caved in and said "fuck it" a month ago. I need to play a good baseball game during baseball season. It's been too fucking long since I have.

I've been looking around and I can still only find used PS3's for like 200$ at the cheapest. As of now, I'd rather just spend 50$ more and get a PS3 bundle with games and have the system sent to me in a day.

I'm in the same situation but I finally caved in and said "fuck it" a month ago. I need to play a good baseball game during baseball season. It's been too fucking long since I have.

Look around the Gaf buy and sell thread.

Seriously, buy one of the old 80 GB backward compatible versions and stick a 500 GB laptop HDD in it. Then you have a machine that can play PSX-PS3 games, that's what I did, only I used a 320 GB HDD.
They still exist, you just have to search very hard on different sites. You may have to search Mom 'n Pop Gaming stores also.

rando14

Also curious about this. Anyone?

Lol if this actually flies I'd be down.

edit: looks like people on slickdeals are splitting costs, but there's also this which is concerning:

FAQ I am trying to access a game and I am getting an error message that I am already logged in on another computer, what should I do?
In rare cases, customers have forgotten to log out of their account on one computer and have tried to log in again on a separate computer. Since sharing of a single username and password is strictly prohibited, you will get an error message

rekameohs

Banned
ClownCatch.gif

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/607338-mlb-13-show-player-ratings-every-team.html

Top Rated Players in MLB 13: The Show.

Interested in MLB 13 The Show player ratings? Our friend chrisjohnson83 (with the only confirmed copy of the game so far) has provided them to us. Below are the top rated players at each position, to see the rest of the player ratings, check out the MLB 13 The Show screenshots page.

Updated rosters will no doubt be released before the March 5th release date, so keep that in mind.

Top Rated Players at Each Position

Top Rated First Basemen
•99 Albert Pujols, Angels
•98 Joey Votto, Reds
•95 Prince Fielder, Tigers
•94 Paul Konerko, White Sox
•93 Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers
•92 Corey Hart, Brewers
•92 Allen Craig, Cardinals
•91 Mark Teixeira, Yankees
•89 Mike Napoli, Boston
•88 Ryan Howard, Phillies

Top Rated Second Basemen
•99 Robinson Cano, Yankees
•98 Dustin Pedroia, Boston
•95 Ian Kinsler, Rangers
•93 Brandon Phillips, Reds
•90 Jose Altuve, Astros
•89 Ben Zobrist, Rays
•88 Chase Utley, Phillies
•88 Omar Infante, Tigers
•87 Emilio Bonifacio, Blue Jays
•87 Howie Kendrick, Rangers

Top Rated Third Basemen
•99 Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
•96 Adrian Beltre, Rangers
•93 Evan Longoria, Rays
•93 David Wright, Mets
•91 Chase Headley, Padres
•91 Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals
•89 Aramis Ramirez, Brewers
•88 Alex Rodriguez, Yankees
•86 Pablo Sandoval, Giants
•85 Michael Young, Phillies
•85 David Freese, Cardinals

Top Rated Shortstops
•99 Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
•95 Jose Reyes, Blue Jays
•93 Jimmy Rollins, Phillies
•90 Derek Jeter, Yankees
•90 Starlin Castro, Cubs
•88 Elvis Andrus, Rangers
•88 Rafael Furcal, Cardinals
•88 Hanley Ramirez, Dodgers
•85 Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians
•85 Erick Aybar, Angels

Top Rated Catchers
•99 Buster Posey, Giants
•98 Yadier Molina, Cardinals
•94 Carlos Ruiz, Phillies
•93 Joe Mauer, Twins
•93 Matt Wieters, O's
•87 Salvador Perez, Royals
•88 Brian McCann, Braves
•86 A.J. Pierzynski, Rangers
•86 Jonathan Lucroy, Brewers
•86 Wilin Rosario, Rockies
•86 Jonathan Lucroy, Brewers

Top Rated Left Fielders
•99 Mike Trout, Angels
•99 Ryan Braun, Brewers
•99 Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
•92 Yoenis, Cespedes, Oakland
•91 Matt Holliday, Cardinals
•87 Bryce Harper, Nationals
•86 Alfonso Soriano, Cubs
•86 Justin Upton, Braves
•85 Alex Gordon, Royals
•85 Josh Willingham, Twins
•85 David Murphy, Rangers

Top Rated Center Fielders
•99 Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
•99 Matt Kemp, Dodgers
•94 Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston
•91 Adam Jones, O's
•88 B.J. Upton, Braves
•87 Curtis Granderson, Yankees
•86 Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
•85 Coco Crisp, Oakland
•84 Austin Jackson, Tigers
•84 Angel Pagan, Giants

Top Rated Right Fielders
•99 Josh Hamilton, Angels
•98 Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
•98 Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
•95 Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
•93 Nelson Cruz, Rangers
•93 Jay Bruce, Reds
•91 Jason Heyward, Braves
•90 Alex Rios, White Sox
•90 Hunter Pence, Giants
•89 Torii Hunter, Tigers
•89 Ichiro Suzuki, Yankees

Top Rated Designated Hitters
•94 Billy Butler, Royals
•91 David Ortiz, Boston
•88 Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays
•85 Kevin Youkilis, Yankees
•85 Victor Martinez, Tigers
•85 Kendrys Morales, Mariners
•84 Lance Berkman, Rangers
•83 Mark Trumbo, Angels

Top Rated Pitchers
•99 Jusin Verlander, Tigers
•99 Felix Hernandez, Mariners
•99 Stephen Strasburg, Nationals
•99 Aroldis Chapman, Reds
•99 Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
•97 David Price, Rays
•96 Chris Sale, White Sox
•96 Cliff Lee, Phillies
•96 C.C. Sabathia, Yankees
•96 Yu Darvish, Rangers
•96 Adam Wainwright, Cardinals
•95 Matt Kain, Giants
•95 Kris Medlen, Braves
•94 Rafael Betancourt, Rockies
•94 Mat Latos, Reds
•94 Zack Greinke, Dodgers
•94 Roy Halladay, Phillies
•94 Cole Hamels, Phillies
•94 Josh Johnson, Blue Jays
•94 James Shields, Royals
•93 Jered Weaver, Angels
•93 R.A. Dickey, Blue Jays
•90 Jake Peavy, White Sox

Top Rated Closers
•99 Craig Kimbrel, Braves
•97 Mariano Rivera, Yankees
•95 Jonathan Papelbon, Phillies
•96 Jason Motte, Cardinals
•95 Joel Hanrahan, Boston
•94 Sergio Romo, Giants
•93 Fernando Rodney, Rays
•93 J.J. Putz, Dbacks
•93 Greg Holland, Royals
•90 Glen Perkins, Twins
•92 Steve Cishek, Marlins
•92 John Axford, Brewers
•92 Tom Wilhelmsen, Mariners
•91 Grant Balfour, Oakland
•91 Joe Nathan, Rangers
•90 Ryan Madson, Angels
•89 Jose Veras, Astros
•88 Chris Perez, Indians

To see all the MLB 13 The Show player ratings, check out the screenshots. Thanks again to chrisjohnson83, you can follow him on Twitter, right here.

Top Bottom