• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

Fox318

mlb_sun_life_600.jpg

Goddamn right it is!

"I was one of the few that actually went to a game"

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I said usually

I know tons of Cardinal fans in FL who are from St. Louis.

But its no secret FL is packed with Yankee and Red Sox fans.

Anytime they play the Rays it is almost like a home game for them instead of the Rays

BTW, I have a question for Florida-Gaf:

Before the Marlins, did people in Florida just support the team that played in their town during Spring Training?

My family moved here in the early 90s, so the Marlins were established then. But for the most part people would root for their old teams. I did live in Sarasota however and the team people would go with for the most part were the Reds, White Sox, Red Sox, and Orioles due to Spring Training. Though a lot of younger kids around my age at the time would be Marlins fans. Plus, we could become fans of the new dullness, the Devil Rays.

Here in Central Florida you will find a decent amount of Braves fans and Astros fans simply because the training is near here, but you will always find people wearing Red Sox or Yankees or LA hats because they're what's popular, but I guess that's every city without a major baseball team.

Going to the out of state fans going to Florida stadiums to watch the game, from what I've heard it's cheaper for a lot of fans to buy a weekend trip to Tampa, plus decent tickets for the series than it is to go to a series from where ever they are from(New York, Boston, etc). Plus, it was nice seeing the Cards play at the Trop 2 years ago, I wore a Rays cap and a Cardinals shirt (got to support both my teams).

RBH

The 45 Braves games that have been televised locally on Turner Broadcasting’s Peachtree TV in recent seasons will move to Fox Sports South and SportSouth.

The shift means that the two Fox-owned cable channels will have rights to all of the Braves’ local telecasts — 150-plus games per season — and that Turner will be out of the Braves TV business for the first time since the mid-1970s. It also means the last of the Braves’ telecasts are moving from a free over-the-air station, which Peachtree TV is in Atlanta, to cable.

The change came as a result of the Braves and Turner Broadcasting ending their agreement on the 45-game package, and the Braves reaching a deal to consolidate those games with the other 105-plus already shown on the Fox channels, according to Braves executive vice president Derek Schiller.

Neither the Braves nor Fox would reveal terms of the deal. But the Braves acknowledged it will somewhat improve their local TV revenue, which has been a source of concern because of long-term contracts signed before a recent explosion in rights fees.

“Suffice it to say that this is a better deal for us,” Schiller said. “But we’re only talking about (a change affecting) 45 games.

“We’re not reopening all 150. It would be improper to compare and contrast this against some of those teams that have had the opportunity to open up all 150 of their games and bring them to a competitive marketplace and start anew. This is not that.”

This season’s plan is to televise 72 Braves games on Fox Sports South and 80 on SportSouth, said Jeff Genthner, the networks’ senior vice president and general manager. The numbers can fluctuate depending on how many Braves games are picked up by Major League Baseball’s national TV partners.

The latest change in the Braves’ TV picture completes a long trend of the team’s games moving away from Turner networks.

The Braves became known as “America’s Team” when almost all of their games were televised nationally on TBS, beginning in the 1970s. The number of Braves games on TBS declined gradually over the decades as many shifted to regional cable — first Turner owned-networks and later Fox’s. Turner Broadcasting took Braves games off national TBS entirely after the 2007 season.

In 2008, Peachtree TV — available in the Atlanta market — began airing the 45-game package. In 2011, Turner turned over daily management of the station to Meredith Corp. At the same time, Turner entered into an agreement for Fox to produce and sell advertising for Peachtree TV’s Braves telecasts, as well as to air them in the Southeast outside the Atlanta market.

The latest step is the natural progression of the earlier moves, Schiller said.

“It does show the evolution of (Turner’s) business as well as our own business,” Schiller said.

“We have nothing but fond memories of what Turner has accomplished as a partner with the Braves and as a former owner of the Braves. But their business has evolved to the point where they’re more concentrated on some of their other, primarily national networks.

“As much as we’re fond of the way Turner has handled us in the past, we’re excited about the future of combining all 150 games with one entity.”

Turner spokeswoman Misty Skedgell said in a statement that the company reached the agreement with the Braves to assign Peachtree TV’s rights to the games “in exchange for other consideration.”

The only way for a regular-season Braves game to appear on a Turner network this season is as part of TBS’ national Sunday-afternoon MLB package.

Schiller and Genthner said viewers will benefit from finding the Braves’ local telecasts on two channels instead of three, but the removal of games from Peachtree TV continues the trend of sports events shifting off free television.

Genthner said Fox Sports South’s Braves telecasts will be “primarily weighted” toward Friday-Saturday-Sunday games and SportSouth’s toward Monday-through-Thursday games “to cultivate a sense of appointment viewing.”

Chip Caray and Joe Simpson will continue to call the games.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-tv-deal-changes-games-move-peachtree-tv/nWcNF/

Jayson Werth thinks Phillies, not Braves, are Nationals' biggest threat:

Back in Viera, as he tied his shoes for a morning workout, Jayson Werth was asked if considered the Braves or Philadelphia Phillies a bigger threat. Werth, the former Phillie, did not hesitate.

"Phillies," he said. "I think everybody is writing them off. They played good in September, when they were healthy. They're not going to roll over, that’s for sure."

And about the Braves? "Yeah, the Braves got the Upton brothers," Werth said. "But they lost [Martin] Prado and Chipper."

It's not a crazy idea, of course. The Phillies, on paper, have a deeper pitching staff than Atlanta. But the Phillies, on paper, also have more question marks about their entire roster.

This is why seasons are not decided on paper because it is a silly way to decide athletic competitions. The current "on paper" predictions have Werth shaking his head.

"That shows me how much everybody knows that writes for a living," Werth told The Washington Post. "No offense."

I am surprised to see him say this with how much the media has been on the Braves this offseason, and the way he left the Phillies.

I'm still surprised how little the Orioles were involved in this offseason. I still think they make a move for Lohse at some point.

I also thought that they would be big spenders after the way last year went. They could have easily been in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and see to have a good core. It really wa a weak FA group though so I guess that had something to do with it.

What does not paying big money on guys less then 27 matter? Would the Phils be in better shape this year if the gave Dom Brown a big contract? I get that the Braves overall are younger but of all the things to bag on the Phils about being old seems silly to me. 7 guys that should be big contributors this year will be over 32, and 35 is the oldest of any of them. That doesnt seem terribly old to me.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What does not paying big money on guys less then 27 matter?

It's the "80% over 32" part that matters.

I get that the Braves overall are younger but of all the things to bag on the Phils about being old seems silly to me. 7 guys that should be big contributors this year will be over 32, and 35 is the oldest of any of them. That doesnt seem terribly old to me.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/5/31/2199146/hitter-aging-curves

batting_medium.jpg

feilding_medium.jpg

This isn't hard. Depending on 7 guys over 32 to carry your team is a recipe for bad baseball.

Oh I agree that production usually goes down when guys get older, but there are also tons of guys that are still productive into their late 30s. If all their over 32 were like 39 I would agree that they re doomed, but I think guys can still be good at 33, 34, 35, or so. We will obviously have to wait and see though, since injuries killed them last year. It is very possible that the same thing happens this year, but if they can stay healthy I think they can have a good team this year. Even with all the injuries and old guys they only missed the playoffs due to blowing more 8th inning leads then any other team. If they can figure that out and get the same pitching and hitting them got last year I think they will be in the running for a playoff spot.

I'm still surprised how little the Orioles were involved in this offseason. I still think they make a move for Lohse at some point.
Lohse really got screwed by the compensation system. He's was really good for us outside the freak injury and he ends up getting no offers of note. Maybe we can sign him to a one year deal now that Carpenter is a no-go.

What does not paying big money on guys less then 27 matter? Would the Phils be in better shape this year if the gave Dom Brown a big contract? I get that the Braves overall are younger but of all the things to bag on the Phils about being old seems silly to me. 7 guys that should be big contributors this year will be over 32, and 35 is the oldest of any of them. That doesnt seem terribly old to me.
Even if you don't consider aging curves and decline phases, the increased injury risk is enough for it to matter.

CygnusXS

I think the Phillies still have a very good pitching staff, including the bullpen. The position player side of the roster is a complete disaster though, and I say that with full confidence that Dom Brown is primed for a breakout year and the honest hope that Utley can stay healthy for the whole season. As good as the pitching is, I don't see it being good enough to make up for what should be a very mediocre lineup.

And if Halladay continues to decline? If Hamels or Lee get injured? What happens then?

Even if you don't consider aging curves and decline phases, the increased injury risk is enough for it to matter.

I wasnt saying that none of that stuff matters, rather that it seemed silly to me to write off a team because it has some older guys. Lets see when their roster is finalized. I doubt they will be the oldest team or anything like that. Of course injuries and decline are a concern but they managed to hang around for a while last year and it was the bullpen that sank them, and that is an area that should be much improved this year.

I think the Phillies still have a very good pitching staff, including the bullpen. The position player side of the roster is a complete disaster though, and I say that with full confidence that Dom Brown is primed for a breakout year and the honest hope that Utley can stay healthy for the whole season. As good as the pitching is, I don't see it being good enough to make up for what should be a very mediocre lineup.

And if Halladay continues to decline? If Hamels or Lee get injured? What happens then?

Complete disaster then, but cant you pick out like 3 guys on any team and say they would be dead if they decline/get hurt? I think that their offense will be better this year, and last year it would have been good enough for a playoff spot if not for a historically bad performance from the bullpen. You are right though on paper their lineup looks like it will be weak.

CygnusXS

Complete disaster then, but cant you pick out like 3 guys on any team and say they would be dead if they decline/get hurt? I think that their offense will be better this year, and last year it would have been good enough for a playoff spot if not for a historically bad performance from the bullpen. You are right though on paper their lineup looks like it will be weak.

OK, I'll just say two things here:

1) Yeah, a lot of teams would be behind the 8-ball if they lost 3 of their top contributors. However, I was just asking about what if 1 of them got hurt. The Phillies do not have the pitching talent to withstand the loss of even one of those guys. Most teams can get away with an injury or lackluster performance from 1 of the expected key guys.

2) The Phillies bullpen was actually pretty good last year. As a group they were 16th overall in FIP, 8th overall in xFIP, and 6th overall in SIERA. Their FIP and xFIP were both 4% better than league average. This is good because these stats measure the more repeatable skills. The problem came from having the 6th worst differential between their ERA and FIP, and more importantly, from Manuel's gross misuse of his relievers.

I wasnt saying that none of that stuff matters, rather that it seemed silly to me to write off a team because it has some older guys. Lets see when their roster is finalized. I doubt they will be the oldest team or anything like that. Of course injuries and decline are a concern but they managed to hang around for a while last year and it was the bullpen that sank them, and that is an area that should be much improved this year.
For starters, only a few teams a year have virtually no chance of winning a title based on what is known in ST. The 2013 Phillies are not one of them. But if a sportswriter is going to make predictions, he/she will probably go with a safer pick - that's why hardly anyone is picking the Phillies. And it's not like you guys play in a soft division. The whole "window closing" narrative is probably in a lot people's minds so I wouldn't be surprised if they were jumping the gun on the demise of the current Phillies core while you guys go on one last playoff run with said core.

Booties

Banned
I think that pitching isn't going to be the Phillies' Achilles heel this season. Not enough base runners is gonna be a big ol' problem.

Macattk15

Nick Franklin takes Matt Cain deep.

Thanks for turning down the trade Justin....I didn't wanna lose him anyway.

Spring Training is fun!

Mariners in 1st place in the Dinger Parade.

And Smoak with a 2B to the CF wall off Cain .... HE IS FIXED. OUR SAVIOR!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Texas Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus was scratched from Thursday's Cactus League game against the Cleveland Indians due to muscle soreness in his left arm caused by a new tattoo.
Manly.

jakncoke

Banned
Good thing todays game doesnt really count.

edit; haha one the guys that got belted actually went to HS with me. Thats kinda neat seeing I came from a small town and nothing cool happens there. Although looking at his career stats likely not going to make it in the pros(talking about Zach Foster btw)

Malo

Banned
Cashman confirmed the Yankees made Cano a significant offer. Hopefully they lock him up before he hits free agency at the end of the season, but I doubt it with Boras being his agent and him only being a season away.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
MLB-GAF,

I think I'm going to finally cave in and join you this year. I'm a gushing Reds fan and they are looking like a team that is not to be fucked with this year. I like talking and reading about baseball and it's high time that I joined a 'community' here on GAF.

So Hi everyone.

Even thinking about getting the MLB League pass this year. But it might not be worth it to me since all I'm really interested in is watching my Reds.

Anyone have any experience with the league pass thingy? Should I consider it?

Rob.

rando14

MLB-GAF,

I think I'm going to finally cave in and join you this year. I'm a gushing Reds fan and they are looking like a team that is not to be fucked with this year. I like talking and reading about baseball and it's high time that I joined a 'community' here on GAF.

So Hi everyone.

Even thinking about getting the MLB League pass this year. But it might not be worth it to me since all I'm really interested in is watching my Reds.

Anyone have any experience with the league pass thingy? Should I consider it?

Rob.

Are you not in Cincinnati? If you're not then sure.

Top Bottom