• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Brandon Webb wants to return to baseball next season. Wonder which team will be desperate enough to try that gamble.

rekameohs

Banned
Brandon Webb wants to return to baseball next season. Wonder which team will be desperate enough to try that gamble.

He says that every year and then pussies out at the last moment. He even pulled that exact same stunt for a Dbacks charity alumni game this fall.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
pklVO.png

PsyLidge is no more. Retiring.

brvFW.jpg

Thats exactly why its so plausible for Boston to sign him.

You'd think they would have learned after Nancy Drew and Carl Crawful.

Signing Hamilton is okay as long as you don't give him any more than 5 years. He's going to have durability issues.

Even at 5 years I would want no part of Josh Hamilton from ages 31-36 for $20 million a year or whatever he's going to be making. There's a good chance most, if not all, of those years are going to be decline years.

Fox318

Oh shit I didn't mean to say Gaborn.

I meant the political guy who got banned with the Evangelion avatar.

Shit sorry

OT won't be the same without Gaborn

Supposedly, the Nats and Rays are talking about a deal that would send Michael Morse and Danny Espinosa to the Rays in exchange for unspecified starting pitching.

Sharp

I'd have zero problem with Shields. I'd prefer the free agent route though.
I would probably have a problem with Shields for Espinosa. That is a lot of value you're expecting Shields to make up, especially considering the two players are at different ends of their careers. It would only make sense if the Nats think Rendon is ready to go, right now, and that he can play an elite 2B.

McNei1y

I would probably have a problem with Shields for Espinosa. That is a lot of value you're expecting Shields to make up, especially considering the two players are at different ends of their careers. It would only make sense if the Nats think Rendon is ready to go, right now, and that he can play an elite 2B.

I doubt the trade happens. Rizzo always seems to aim high in trade talks so I think that can help us here. I also think Espinosa could have some sort of a Desmond season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

What the fuck am I reading...

Espinosa has a career .727 OPS..

And he's an overpay for James Shields....

Sharp

What the fuck am I reading...

Espinosa has a career .727 OPS..

And he's an overpay for James Shields....
If they were both the same age, that would be an amazing deal for the Nats, but they aren't. I would expect Espinosa to minimally be between 3 and 4 WAR again for quite a few years. I don't think I can expect that from Shields, though I haven't looked at any ZIPS projections recently or anything. Additionally, there are other external options that the Nats have for a pitcher, but their only options for a 2B are really Lombardozzi (who is fine, but would represent quite a bit of lost value compared to Espinosa) and Rendon (who as far as I know the Nats aren't ready to bring up just yet), so it wouldn't necessarily even be a win next year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If they were both the same age, that would be an amazing deal for the Nats, but they aren't. I would expect Espinosa to minimally be between 3 and 4 WAR again for quite a few years. I don't think I can expect that from Shields, though I haven't looked at any ZIPS projections recently or anything. Additionally, there are other external options that the Nats have for a pitcher, but their only options for a 2B are really Lombardozzi (who is fine, but would represent quite a bit of lost value compared to Espinosa) and Rendon (who as far as I know the Nats aren't ready to bring up just yet), so it wouldn't necessarily even be a win next year.

I don't think Espinosa is anywhere near that good. Decrease in walk rate, increase in strikeout rate - neither of which were great before last season and he was an extremely poor hitter last season even with a huge BABIP.

Shields is 31. If the Rays traded Shields for Espinosa, Bud Selig should step in for baseball reasons because its nothing more than a salary dump.

Espinosa + Morse makes more sense but I think thats still a poor deal for the Rays.

Sharp

I don't think Espinosa is anywhere near that good. Decrease in walk rate, increase in strikeout rate - neither of which were great before last season and he was an extremely poor hitter last season even with a huge BABIP.

Shields is 31. If the Rays traded Shields for Espinosa, Bud Selig should step in for baseball reasons because its nothing more than a salary dump.

Espinosa + Morse makes more sense but I think thats still a poor deal for the Rays.
Well, obviously it depends how much you value Espinosa, who actually gets a lot of value out of his defense, while you're primarily focusing on his offense, which is basically a few HRs, some hit by pitches, and lots of strikeouts. Look around the league and ask yourself where all the elite second basemen are; I think you'll find that Espinosa has more value than you're giving him credit for, especially since his natural position is shortstop. It also depends how much you value Shields, of course. He is a very good pitcher, but again--taking a look at some pitcher aging curves, he's likely going nowhere but down from here. Personally I'm indifferent to whether Morse is thrown into the trade; do the Rays really need a first baseman?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Thing is the Rays already have an elite 2nd baseman. Which is just another reason why the deal doesn't make a ton of sense.

A lot of teams want Shields. I'd like to think they can do better than Espinosa + Morse but we'll see. Get the feeling if hes getting moved its going to happen pretty quickly since that will be a significant chunk of payroll coming off the books.

And yes they need a 1B. Badly. Morse would be the key guy in that deal, because right now James Loney is going to be pegged in as our starting 1B for 2013. Yeah.

McNei1y

Espinosa is also a shortstop, which I believe he's even better at defensively. He's still young and is going into his third year. I don't think he has much value right now and if he had anything going for him right now it would be that he's young and still has a lot of potential to be a power middle infielder. Espinosa + Morse would be a steal for the Nats, IMO.

eznark

Banned
Isn't Espinosa a prett brilliant short stop? Your Mets might not play defense Darkside, but some teams do still value it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Loney deal was a 1 year 2 million deal.

Guess I can't complain too much. It's basically Casey Kotchman 2.0 and Kotchman worked out really well for the Rays.

Rays offseason should be interesting just because Ben Zobrist is the guy who can fill any gap. Honestly have no idea where he's going to start opening day. Hoping its at shortstop because I am so sick of the perennial black hole at SS the Rays have, but I suppose its more realistic he'll be at 2B. And of course theres always RF.

Isn't Espinosa a prett brilliant short stop? Your Mets might not play defense Darkside, but some teams do still value it.

Yeah thats the the biggest positive.

Longo / Espinosa / Zobrist / Loney would be a really damn nice defensive infield.

Top Bottom