• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '12-'13 OffSeason OT: Magic is the New Market Inefficiency

clemenx

Banned
That's a very reasonable deal for Scutaro. 3rd year was going to be necessary despite his age. The money is really fair.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The more I think about the more I really love the Escobar trade.

Scutaro is 37 years old and just got 3/20. Escobar is a seriously shrewd move. He's making $5 mil in 2013 with team option years for 2014 and 2015 which is great for the Rays since he can be moved if Hak-Ju Lee / Tim Beckham are legit and ready to go or simply just let go.

Even shitty 2012 Yunel Escobar is eons better than the garbage Rays have been trotting out there both with the bat and with the glove, and theres a serious chance for some upside.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Y7NVv.png

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?...800-pricetag&catid=71:sponsorships&Itemid=164

no leather baseball glove....

boothisman.gif

Dodgers and Rangers said to be in bidding war over Greinke. Current price both teams have gone to is $160 million.

He's likely going to top Sabathia's deal and become the top-paid pitcher ever.

With Escobar's trade, that brings the Marlins' 2013 payroll down to $38 million. $7 million of that goes to the Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, and Heath Bell's signing bonus.

Sanjuro

I recant my Izzy Alcantara. Nobody has yet to explain why Victorino is a poor move other than his salary.

Looking at Upton and Pagan's contacts, and the remaining available outfielders, there is just no buzzer that goes off. Even just defensively he is more suitable for right field.

Sharp

Eh, I may be getting used to the dumb salaries but I see 13M as chump change for someone of Haren's upside. If he's indeed broken then it's just 13M lost for one year, no biggie.
Yeah, this is my attitude as well. Obviously it's not my $13m, but so far I've agreed with all the Nats' offseason moves.

bluemax

Banned
Really?

.301 BA with 70 SB in 2009 is a pretty good year..

Not really. He had a sub .800 ops and negative fielding value. Dude was worth a measly 2.4 WAR in 2009.

Fielding values for him are kind of all over the place but prior to last year he's been pretty much average in offensive value.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A 2.4 WAR SS for the Rays is basically the equivalent to a hall of famer. Obviously hopefully he'll be better than that.

Not having to watch Reid Brignac / Sean Rodriguez / Elliot Johnson playing everyday will be fucking great.

i just realized how crazy this offseason is going.

mets should try to unload david wright and see if they can at least get ollie perez back

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Ben Revere's name is coming up in trade talks now? I'd totally be okay with this, even after trading Span. But who would trade for him? And what would they send back to the Twins? Who still needs a CF? Tampa? Revere+ for Hellickson maybe?

Given that the Twins would need everything to break their way to compete next year, I don't think playing Mastroianni in CF for half a season until Hicks is ready is the end of the world. He hit slightly better than Revere last year, he's almost as fast, nearly as good a fielder, and an excellent base runner. He walk rate is better, his strike out rate is worse. I don't know, I'd be fine with him out there especially if they can get a useful pitcher back. Mastroianni was a very shrewd pick up by Terry Ryan.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm definitely picking up one of those Mets alt blue jerseys.

Yunel just goes from strength to strength; he's burned bridges with the Braves, Jays and the Marlins now.
Pretty sure the Marlins planned to flip him from the start. He makes too much for their tastes. And I'm not kidding here.

BFIB

Cards are set to offer Bengie Molina the assistant hitting coach job.

Otherwise, I think Mo isn't even at the Winter Meetings, he's probably on the bourbon distillery tour.

Top Bottom