• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 15:The Show |OT| - Yes Yes Yes (Unless you are asking about online improvements)

I think the way this game handled the install process is lame. When I first loaded up the game last night, I was forced into playing this exhibition game while the announcer came on every inning and yapped endlessly about all the new features. What I didn't realize, and what the game doesn't bother explaining, is that this is just what you do while the game installs. The install it does when you first put in the disc is apparently only one tiny portion of the game. So you're sitting there trying to skip this practice game and get on with it, and there's no way to exit out. For veterans of the series that already know how to play and can figure out the new stuff on their own, this is frustrating.

But the real problem is that by the end of my first run through of the practice game, the install hadn't budged. It was just sitting there at about 10%. It only worked correctly after I deleted the game, restarted the PS4, and then reinstalled and reupdated the game. This forced me to have to play through the exhibition/training game AGAIN because it will only install while you have the game loaded up.

All that being said though--this is a good update to the series. The graphics are prettier, the simulation and RPG elements have a lot more going on, and this game is still the most complete, most comprehensive package you can get in a baseball game. Maybe even in any sports game in general.

I will say that if you aren't a fan of baseball or don't have a mind for baseball, you may not enjoy this game or any others in the series. It takes patience, strategy, and a little luck to be successful. Just like in a real MLB game.

Saganator

So...any hitting advice???

Practice, that is really it. I don't have the time to get good, so I just perpetually suck at hitting. Best advice is to not swing at the first pitch. Be patient, wait for a pitch that's in your wheel house. Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in sports, and hitting in The Show is also hard. You can fail 7 times out of 10 and be considered a damn good batter.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Played two games online with my buddy. No disconnects and I thought it ran okay, especially during the second game. My friend was having some slight delays with the batting and pitching but mine seemed to be fo poetry on point. I did see some weird glitches out shit in the first game, and it seems to control a little bit clunky online as far as playing the outfield.

Biggest complaint is it appears we have no other choice but to use this fast play shit? I don't want a fixed/randomized pitch count and the option to change it is locked for some reason. Anyone know what the deal with this?
Guess no one is playing online! LOL I also asked how to turn off quick counts when playing friends and everyone is just talking about single player LOL!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I only played a dinasty game online and it was normal, no fast play. Weird.
For some reason the options are locked for stat counting and quick count when playing a friend or challenging in a lobby. You cannot change those 2 options but for some reason you can change all the other options. So I can play a 1 inning game with stat recording on. Makes no sense at all.

zulux21

you have 3 strikes before you are out, make use of all of them

pick a zone, a single small area, and don't swing at anything that isn't in that area until you have 1 strike (I tend to do this with a guess pitch and if my pitch isn't guessed correctly I take my right hand off my controller and close my eyes until I hear the ball hit the catchers mitt as if I am watching i have a bad habit of swinging at it if it's close :p).

at one strike, widen your zone, still not the whole strike zone, but bigger than with no strikes, you can swing far more freely, but still try to be picky.

finally at two strikes widen your zone to a little bit more than the strike zone and swing at anything in the zone or near your zone.

also as someone else said, practice.

you have 3 strikes before you are out, make use of all of them

pick a zone, a single small area, and don't swing at anything that isn't in that area until you have 1 strike (I tend to do this with a guess pitch and if my pitch isn't guessed correctly I take my right hand off my controller and close my eyes until I hear the ball hit the catchers mitt as if I am watching i have a bad habit of swinging at it if it's close :p).

at one strike, widen your zone, still not the whole strike zone, but bigger than with no strikes, you can swing far more freely, but still try to be picky.

finally at two strikes widen your zone to a little bit more than the strike zone and swing at anything in the zone or near your zone.

also as someone else said, practice.

This. I try to almost never swing at the first pitch. The CPU picks up on the fact that you're being impatient at the plate and will swing at anything, and it starts throwing you garbage knowing that there's no way you'll hit it. This will only end in frustration and gets you in a can't win situation.

Also, take cues from the announcers--sometimes they'll tip you off on what's probably going to happen next.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Guess no one is playing online! LOL I also asked how to turn off quick counts when playing friends and everyone is just talking about single player LOL!

lol damn I guess not. Well hopefully they fix this shit stat. Starting an inning in a 0-2 count right of the bat fucking sucks.

Played both the PS4 and Vita versions last night.

LOVED:

• The new pitch direction guidance thingy. Looks cool.
  • The new baserunning visual aide up in the corner. Felt like I knew exactly what runners I was telling to go where.
  • Presentation seems more crisp
  • Crowds/stadiums/players are all gorgeous
  • Vita version was $19.99 for the downloadable voucher version and plays great in the limited time I spent with it

All in all, I'm super happy with the new version so far. Need to spend a lot more time with it obviously, but so far so good.

Hate that Puig is on the cover though. I don't know how any good resident of San Diego making this game could avoid puking the whole time they were working on that intro. A Dodger getting cover placement on a game made in San Diego? Garbage. That's just horrible.

ukas

I'm watching the MLB 15 The Show - Launch Party and HR Derby on SSDs twitch archive and Hunter Pence is calling the square button the box button. Wut?!

Lrrr

Hate that Puig is on the cover though. I don't know how any good resident of San Diego making this game could avoid puking the whole time they were working on that intro. A Dodger getting cover placement on a game made in San Diego? Garbage. That's just horrible.

Never let personal feelings get in the way of business. Love him or hate him, Puig was most likely chosen because every baseball fan knows who he is and he'll bring attention to the title. Granted, I thought it was going to be (and should've been) Mike Trout, but I won't argue against Puig either. He's a dynamic personality and when you're trying to crack the million dollar "sold-through" barrier, that matters more than stats.*

All this talk about The Show 15 made me fire up my copy of The Show 14, and that game still holds up so well, is it worth the $60 for the upgrade?

Never let personal feelings get in the way of business. Love him or hate him, Puig was most likely chosen because every baseball fan knows who he is and he'll bring attention to the title. Granted, I thought it was going to be (and should've been) Mike Trout, but I won't argue against Puig either. He's a dynamic personality and when you're trying to crack the million dollar "sold-through" barrier, that matters more than stats.*

I know you're right.

It's just... ugh.

Anyone but a Dodger.

I know how dumb my position is, lol.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
Got a game in last night and the framerate definitely appeared to be worse than I remember. I can't understand why, because the game appears to be identical to last years version graphics wise. Also noticed some low resolution artwork and weird tearing on the Yankees scoreboard. I'm still going to play the shit out of this game, and I enjoy it every year but it seems that they aren't doing as much as I thought they would going to PS4.

eznark

Banned
Super zoomed in batting camera, where the strike zone takes up 75% of the screen feels like cheating.

It's rad.

Game looks real ugly. Players do anyway. Still loads slow as fuck,

On field it was great though. They cut down animation times so you don't feel like you need to tap the button immediately to avoid going into an elaborate pirouette wind up throw from second to first on a soft hop which is great!

Didn't try online yet.

How are the load times on the PS4 version compared to 14? Last years load times killed the game for me. Please tell me they are improved.

Super zoomed in batting camera, where the strike zone takes up 75% of the screen feels like cheating.

It's rad.

Game looks real ugly. Players do anyway. Still loads slow as fuck,

On field it was great though. They cut down animation times so you don't feel like you need to tap the button immediately to avoid going into an elaborate pirouette wind up throw from second to first on a soft hop which is great!

Didn't try online yet.

I am having the exact opposite reaction. Game has been extremely fast loading wise. Going from one RTTS game to the next is speedy.

Kalkano

Banned

My trouble has always been pitch-recognition. "Is that a fastball, or a curveball?" Split-second to decide.

The strategy that I've found to work, is to NOT look directly at the ball (as weird as that sounds). I stare at a piece of the batter's eye, right over the pitcher's shoulder. It seems to make it easier to see how the pitch is moving, in relation to the background.

Edit: I also just remembered that hitting is pressure-sensitive (at least on PS3, I don't think PS4 has pressure-sensitive buttons). So, if you jam the button really hard at the last second, you're going to have an "out of control" swing, and not you're unlikely to make good contact. You need to commit to your swings, and SMOOTHLY press the button.

FDC1

I'm really tempted to buy Vita version despite the fact that I know basically nothing about baseball (I'm French). Are there tutorials, etc...? Do I make a mistake?

Got a game in last night and the framerate definitely appeared to be worse than I remember. I can't understand why, because the game appears to be identical to last years version graphics wise. Also noticed some low resolution artwork and weird tearing on the Yankees scoreboard. I'm still going to play the shit out of this game, and I enjoy it every year but it seems that they aren't doing as much as I thought they would going to PS4.
I could be wrong but I think the third edition of MLB on PS3 (one with Pedroia on the cover, '09 I believe) was when it took its major leap, it may be the same case here. I agree with you as I expected these games to be a bit more of a graphical showcase.

Ok so

PS4 a good step up graphically.
I think its time Player models get updated to the new gen hardware. I can tell they are still PS3 versions.Hair is crazy (not in a good way) Andre Either has an Afro................

Stadiums are amazing. Lighting is amazing. Gameplay is amazing.

8/10 Must have must own.

I'm really tempted to buy Vita version despite the fact that I know basically nothing about baseball (I'm French). Are there tutorials, etc...? Do I make a mistake?

Pitching, catching and hitting are fun regardless of your baseball knowledge. Just play in the easy mode, and allow the AI to do things like baserunning for you until you begin to pick things up.

The depth of strategy in baseball is unlike any other sport. I think anyone who gives it a chance and enjoys gaming will find something to like in baseball.

Some of the backdrops are incredible at night.

Just made it to the big leagues with my RTTS player and Cincinnati looks phenomenal at night.

The character models definitely need some work though. I am hoping that will be the focus for this development cycle. You will never get them looking like NBA 2k though. It's just not possible with player on field count and stadium size. There is a lot more going on in an MLB Game than an NBA game.

jacobs34

Go into the PS4 > Settings > Sound and Display and adjust your screen size. Don't do this while the game is running or it won't take effect. Either close it down and restart, or adjust prior to starting.

Good looking out, the letterbox was driving me crazy!

MajorPain

my first baseball game since 2006. I am loving it so far. Graphics for the most part are great but what is up with the hairstyles all look like pubics. LOL

my first baseball game since 2006. I am loving it so far. Graphics for the most part are great but what is up with the hairstyles all look like pubics. LOL

The facial hair is particularly bad. They introduced new facial hair last year and went overboard with it on a lot of players. Still doesn't look great.

Ok so

PS4 a good step up graphically.
I think its time Player models get updated to the new gen hardware. I can tell they are still PS3 versions.Hair is crazy (not in a good way) Andre Either has an Afro................

Stadiums are amazing. Lighting is amazing. Gameplay is amazing.

8/10 Must have must own.

For some reason the options are locked for stat counting and quick count when playing a friend or challenging in a lobby. You cannot change those 2 options but for some reason you can change all the other options. So I can play a 1 inning game with stat recording on. Makes no sense at all.

Is that an issue with the other person "controlling" the settings, or is it blocked out for both of you? Weird.

Lrrr

All this talk about The Show 15 made me fire up my copy of The Show 14, and that game still holds up so well, is it worth the $60 for the upgrade?

My opinion - since you have last years version, I'd say wait until this one is $39.99. I had a $10 coupon and GCU (Best Buy), so I only paid around $40 for it. Of course, bear in mind that I only play exhibition, season and RTTS. I have no interest, or desire, to play Diamond Dynasty.

Some quick thoughts:

• The new pitching trajectory graphic that shows where the ball, in theory, will land in the catchers glove is great. I feel it does a better job of illustration how the ball is going to move on its way to the plate.
  • Fielding seems more responsive. I'm not sure if that's because SSD cut down on the fielding animation or if it was just sped up overall.
  • In the batters box, you can visually see which direction you're going to influence the ball as the camera slightly shifts left, right, up or down.
  • Baserunning has been greatly improved and is much easier to control multiple men on base.

• On the other hand, the player models have taken a massive step backwards. As someone said, they'll never look as good as NBA 2K, but damn, a lot of them look like created players.

ukas

My bat took flight last night.

NCq7ZXX.jpg

On the other hand, the player models have taken a massive step backwards. As someone said, they'll never look as good as NBA 2K, but damn, a lot of them look like created players.

I haven't played much 15 yet but you're saying the models are worse than 14? How is that possible?

Lrrr

I haven't played much 15 yet but you're saying the models are worse than 14? How is that possible?

SSD redid the entire lighting system from last year as well as the dirt and grass in each stadium, so something had to take a hit and it was definitely the players faces. They look a lot more waxy than last year.

SSD redid the entire lighting system from last year as well as the dirt and grass in each stadium, so something had to take a hit and it was definitely the players faces. They look a lot more waxy than last year.

Hmmm, that's disappointing. I wonder if the models are the same and the way the light reacts with them is causing that.

Top Bottom