• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 15:The Show |OT| - Yes Yes Yes (Unless you are asking about online improvements)

Can we get more in game pics, this game is beautiful.

I posted these earlier in the thread, stealing 2nd and a home run lap. Have some more I'll post later

fEse6d.jpg

H1Y9tj.jpg

I'm very impressed with the game so far, after logging a chunk of Tuesday to playing. The graphics are great, the controls feel responsive, and the overall atmosphere gives that live baseball vibe. One of the first things I did was mute the music and fire up Spotify, so I can't really comment on anything other than the sound effects being solid. Commentary...meh.

MajorPain

So...any hitting advice???

I switch to Zone hitting and just try an be patient at the plate. Seems like the more pitches the starter has to throw the more hitable he becomes. Take strikes and don't swing at the first pitch.

This is what has helped me the most. Also play around with the settings you can change your perspective at the plate.

I'm very impressed with the game so far, after logging a chunk of Tuesday to playing. The graphics are great, the controls feel responsive, and the overall atmosphere gives that live baseball vibe. One of the first things I did was mute the music and fire up Spotify, so I can't really comment on anything other than the sound effects being solid. Commentary...meh.

Spotify music just plays constantly though right? Doesn't it drown out all the other sound effects since it's not mixed with the game audio?

I switch to Zone hitting and just try an be patient at the plate. Seems like the more pitches the starter has to throw the more hitable he becomes. Take strikes and don't swing at the first pitch.

This is what has helped me the most. Also play around with the settings you can change your perspective at the plate.

I tried directional and it was cool but I wasn't hitting as well, so I switched back to zone which I used previously. Still prefer it but I will experiment more with directional later to see if I can switch

MajorPain

Nobody on my friends list has this game please feel free to add me. Wouldn't mind playing some online once I get use to the game.

PSN ID: SpawnRebornn

KePoW

Banned

wat...u sound like a shill for the developer. Not sure I can trust u tra

Spotify music just plays constantly though right? Doesn't it drown out all the other sound effects since it's not mixed with the game audio?

You can adjust the Spotify volume by holding down the PS button, and can also skip around on tracks. You just have to adjust it to the right balance with the in game sound menu. It definitely plays all the time, but I like that.

wat...u sound like a shill for the developer. Not sure I can trust u tra

Bro, do you even PS4?

If you want a good arcade baseball game get Super Mega Baseball. RBI was shit and I don't have hopes for this year.

Just wanted to say thanks, I don't care about licensing and this game looks like it nails the fun parts of a baseball game. Looks like I know what I'm using the $20 PSN card I got with Bloodborne for.

zychi

Banned
One thing i wish sony would do, let me update the rosters in rtts. Im playing with darwin barney on the cubs still in '14 version of the show and im in 2018 in-game.

Thats just silly

How much of an improvement is it over last year on ps4?

So far, minor. Everything feels quicker and smoother, fielding feels more responsive, the new hitting mode is cool and things look better thanks to the new lighting. But it's hard for me to say it doesn't just feel like MLB 14.5, I don't regret my purchase though I am enjoying the improvements, but I imagine many will be ununderwhelmed. We still haven't seen the next big visual "leap" that many expected, I'm starting to think it'll just be smaller touches added over time

BFIB

My goodness, the transition in night games is fanfuckingtastic. Played a game at Wrigley last night, and the skybox looked fucking incredible.

Also saw a really nice animation where a ball shorthopped MCarp, and the ball kind of rides up his arm. He lifts his arm to snag the ball, and I had the throw preloaded, and he just rockets it to first. Adams snags it and points at MCarp. Really well done.

Also saw another shot at Wong its right at him. Snags it and looks at the glove to make sure he's got it before throwing.

I love little details like these, hopefully we get a ton more next year.

Add me peeps! PSN Nightmarfuel

alterno69

Banned
I have played three online dinasty games and it has run smooth. The game is fantastic, i'm gonna try the other hitting mechanics.

My goodness, the transition in night games is fanfuckingtastic. Played a game at Wrigley last night, and the skybox looked fucking incredible.

Also saw a really nice animation where a ball shorthopped MCarp, and the ball kind of rides up his arm. He lifts his arm to snag the ball, and I had the throw preloaded, and he just rockets it to first. Adams snags it and points at MCarp. Really well done.

Also saw another shot at Wong its right at him. Snags it and looks at the glove to make sure he's got it before throwing.

The skyboxes are much improved. The previous iterations it was basically either solid blue for sunny or a solid gray for overcast, then yellow at dusk and then just black eventually.

Much more variation and lighting effects now. I was playing at Yankee stadium and the shadows from the facade as the sun set behind it were cast on the scoreboard. Really cool stuff, I don't remember that happening before

Flunkie

Banned
Sucks that Diamond Dynasty is not on Vita, the primary platform I'd play this on. How do universal rewards work? I haven't gotten anything from Franchise mode on Vita so far, but I've leveled up to 5 or so.

Cardinals defense (through two games) have been uncharacteristically shitty. Matty Carp and Wong have had like 6 errors between the two, lol. But HEYWARD, his power, omg. He had 4 HRs through the first 2 games of the season!

Add me guys, PSN: Flunkie44

Not to Kanye West you wonderful Show players like me but how many of you all have played the GOAT of all baseball games on PS3 before jumping onto the PS4.....and by GOAT I am referring to Pro Yakyuu Spirits. If Konami were to create a modern day MLB game they could challenge SSM for total supremacy.

Heck ya, I downloaded BB last night but got killed by the first wolf enemy, so I just went to sleep

Hope it gets easier

You're supposed to die to him. That's how you get your first weapons. I can't wait to see how long it takes you to figure out how to equip them, though. It took me five minutes. :)

Also, I'll add all the PSN names listed in this thread later tonight. I need to dive into online and see how I fare. Hint: badly!

Also am I crazy or is there no way to adjust the camera height (vertical axis) in replay mode? Trying to take some cool screens but sometimes I want to move the camera up or down, it doesn't seem possible. I'm guessing it has always been like this?

eznark

Banned
Not to Kanye West you wonderful Show players like me but how many of you all have played the GOAT of all baseball games on PS3 before jumping onto the PS4.....and by GOAT I am referring to Pro Yakyuu Spirits. If Konami were to create a modern day MLB game they could challenge SSM for total supremacy.

Last time Konami made an MLB game they essentially randomized names, stats and appearance resulting in hilarious skinny white Prince Fielder. Garbage.

I thought I wouldn't use directional hitting, but I'm finding myself enjoying it and actually getting success with it. Absolutely love the game and one of my favorite things is the find trade button in Franchise mode. Saves me a lot of time looking for trades.

Lrrr

Mets vs. Cubs at Wrigley. The last two pics were not easy to get because Sony San Diego refuses to give us a photo mode for whatever reason. Even if you have a capture card, it's always been a pain to place the camera exactly where you want it to get the shot you want.

mlb15theshow_20150401zgu95.jpg

mlb15theshow_2015040177ugd.jpg

mlb15theshow_201504016cuxp.jpg

So even on the easiest setting/difficulty, sounds like hitting is super hard?

It is. Purists will argue that, "that's baseball for you", but for people who just want to have fun, it isn't when waiting for perfect pitches and getting a pitcher's count up to 6 on 1 batter. I carried over my CF from last year who I worked very hard at through 5 seasons just to get him at a 90 overall. I've never found it easy even on Beginniner Difficulty. And the fundamental problem w/ RTTS is there are no separate difficulties for your team vs the CPU's. Essentially when you tweak pitching to make it easier for you, you're making it easier for the CPU's batters against your CPU pitching. Wish they'd realize that this is the only baseball game and it would be smart to allow as many people out there to enjoy it. Coupled w/ the load times and batting difficulty, I pretty much stopped playing it after 6 months.

It is. Purists will argue that, "that's baseball for you", but for people who just want to have fun, it isn't when waiting for perfect pitches and getting a pitcher's count up to 6 on 1 batter. I carried over my CF from last year who I worked very hard at through 5 seasons just to get him at a 90 overall. I've never found it easy even on Beginniner Difficulty. And the fundamental problem w/ RTTS is there are no separate difficulties for your team vs the CPU's. Essentially when you tweak pitching to make it easier for you, you're making it easier for the CPU's batters against your CPU pitching. Wish they'd realize that this is the only baseball game and it would be smart to allow as many people out there to enjoy it. Coupled w/ the load times and batting difficulty, I pretty much stopped playing it after 6 months.

This is my first year playing, but I disagree. It's hard but doesn't feel unfair. I'm using the dynamic mode that adjusts based on how I do. I'm hitting .275ish my first season after showing zero discipline my first five games. That's reasonable. Getting 1-2 hits per game is good by baseball standards.

There's Super Mega Baseball available if you like arcade style, and it's awesome. You can jack 500 foot homeruns to your heart's content.

zulux21

Just got thrown out on a dropped second strike. Obviously a glitch but was genuinely confused when it happened.

I tried to show the count at the end of the video: http://youtu.be/rByCTQM30AY

weird.... only glitch I have run into so far is that the game doesn't always register I stopped trying to advance when I steal, thus I slide, and even though I am not touching anything my character gets up and continues running to the next base.

I tested my controller and I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

So even on the easiest setting/difficulty, sounds like hitting is super hard?

Very much disagree.

Feels like the most authentic to baseball version yet.

I can't help myself from swinging early at breaking balls, but that's on me. I gotta make adjustments just like players in the game do.

It's not unfair. One of those things that have to be practiced, like any skill based game I guess.

zulux21

Very much disagree.

Feels like the most authentic to baseball version yet.

I can't help myself from swinging early at breaking balls, but that's on me. I gotta make adjustments just like players in the game do.

It's not unfair. One of those things that have to be practiced, like any skill based game I guess.

I am only bad at pitches that drop a lot. I am good left to right, I am not great up to down lol.

zulux21

You're hitting WAY better than me. Which mode should I be swinging from? I think I'm using directional (which amounts to me hitting either X or O). Consider me a beginner to the series!

im goofing around on easy mode too as I like racking up points and getting my player to the majors as quickly as possible. (it's when I actually start caring about getting runs and what not as minor league wins don't matter :p)

are my settings. Keep in mind there are actually 3 types of swings.
square is a power swing and is what I do when I guess my pitch correctly, and it greatly helps to get nice deep hard hits. Beyond that it's a matter of getting used to seeing pitches and only driving the good pitches. If the ball is a low inside strike if you can react well enough influence it to the right with the left stick and swing a bit early to just drive it foul ect.

if you are still having troubles you can always play with the sliders that allow you to tweak stuff and make hitting even easier... sadly even in this year I find that even if you set the sliders to where they shouldn't try to pick you off at all, the game hates letting you take a lead :/

alterno69

Banned
Nice to see the OT on the first page. After getting this franchise on and off since a decade ago, this finally feels fun to play, and it all comes down to finally being able to play online smoothly. I can't play sport games on my own, it's just boring. I played over 200 online games in Fifa 15 last year in over a month before i realized it was shit and sold it. I'm a little over 150 games in PES, really started playing it this year.

I played three full games in dinasty mode online today and i wanted more but i had to go outside and take some photographs.

I finally found my game mode, my bread and butter in The Show at last.

I have a question, i have played very even matches in dinasty mode so far, is the matchmaking as good when using real teams? I have been matched with very even oponents in Dinasty mode so far.

zulux21

I don't know what game you're playing, but that's not baseball.

Ugh fucking bandwagon fans.

; )

The best part, the only interaction I have 2 months into the season is to complain that I am at the bottom of the line up.

I have 38 home runs through may, and the announcers still love to say "you don't have to worry about this guy going yard" when a home run would tie the game.

I need to be promoted already so I can turn the difficulty up and stop just holding up when ever I hit the ball >.> though on the plus side the white sox are in first in my game, so when I manage to get up there as a September call up I might just matter.

Top Bottom