• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

Welp, Sung Woo went home this morning. If you're not familiar with the story, Sung Woo Lee is a guy who has been a die hard royals fan since the late 90's, and is generally one of the main members of the twitter Royals fan peanut gallery, constantly tweeting in his broken english. Here's the thing, though... he lives in South Korea and has zero logical connection to the city or the team! He had never even been to the US. Never, that is, until a last week. Danny Duffy (who used to hang out with us on Twitter, too) offered a while back to pay for his plane ticket if he ever wanted to come, and Sung Woo finally took him up on it.

The whole city went nuts. Here's a partial list from Rany's column:

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2014/08/to-sung-woo-thanks-for-everything-rany.html

- Greeted by camera crews Tuesday afternoon, was on four local TV broadcasts that night.

- Was featured in the Star Wednesday morning.

- Took a tour of the Negro League Museum later that morning, featuring tour guide Bob Kendrick and an entourage of two dozen people.

- Gets featured at Deadspin and USA Today.

- Has lunch at Arthur Bryant’s.

- Is interviewed on 610 Sports that afternoon.

- Trolls the Best Fans In Baseball.

- Tours Boulevard Brewing Company that evening.

- With the Royals still playing in Arizona, he gets a shoutout from Danny Duffy – who, behind the scenes, also had a lot to do with Sung Woo’s story becoming as big as it has – on the Royals pre-game show.

- Got an email from Mike Sweeney.

- This is all still Wednesday, by the way.

- Appeared on 96.5 The Buzz Thursday morning. Was given a helmet signed by Billy Butler and a hat signed by Bruce Chen from the station.

- Is featured in the English-language Korea Times.

- Received a personal tour of Kauffman Stadium from the Royals, led by Jennifer Splittorff, who presented him with a SPLITT patch and one of her dad’s bobbleheads afterwards. Goes out on the field, touches the grass, picks up a bullpen phone, basically does everything short of hitting a double in the gap.

- Gets a personalized “SungWoo Lee” #23 Royals jersey, presented by Curt Nelson, the Director of the Royals’ Hall of Fame.

- Walks across the Truman Sports Complex to tailgate before the Chiefs’ preseason opener.

- Is presented with his own personalized #1 jersey by the Chiefs, gets tickets near the 50-yard line. Meets former players and current team president Mark Donovan.

- Friday was a pre-scheduled trip to see the Double-A Northwest Arkansas Naturals, so much of it was spent in the car. However, once there he managed to:

- Watch batting practice from next to the cage;

- Get invited into the clubhouse by manager Vance Wilson, who had heard about his story;

- Shake hands with every player one by one, and give Mitch Maier – back mentoring the baby Royals – a bear hug.

- Rode the Naturals’ pickup onto the field with their mascots.

- Got on the field as a human bowling ball during a mid-inning promotion. He managed to knock over six pins.

- Got Maier’s autographed jersey after the game.

Saturday, he was back in Kansas City for his first chance to watch the Royals play live.

- Prior to the game he was the star of a massive tailgate party in the parking lot, where he met his adoring masses.

- Appeared on the Jumbotron in the middle of the fifth inning.

- Was a story on Sportscenter – SPORTSCENTER – after the game Saturday night.

- Appeared in studio with Joel Goldberg and Jeff Montgomery on today’s pre-game show. Montgomery gave him an autographed glove as a gift.

- Took part in the dance-off competition against Jimmy Faseler – whose spot as Everyone’s Favorite Royals Fan he usurped. Sung Woo won, of course. (Sorry, Jimmy.)

- Was featured at MLB.com.

Somewhere along the way he appeared on NPR’s All Things Considered. He’s gotten tweets sent to him from Jeremy Guthrie, Eric Hosmer, and Billy Butler (at least – there may be more.)

After we spoke, he had to take another phone call – from Jason Kander, the Missouri Secretary of State.

Tonight he attended a Sporting KC watch party at the Power & Light District – Sporting KC dropped by the tailgate yesterday to present him with one of their jerseys – and he’s a guest of the Hilton President hotel tonight. He’s supposed to be on 810 WHB in the morning. I believe he’s appearing on the Korean version of “Good Morning America” on Monday. And, of course, he’s throwing out the first pitch at Kauffman Stadium tomorrow night. Whereupon I expect he’ll get the loudest ovation heard at Kauffman Stadium since George Brett retired.

Plus, you know... going 8-1 and taking over the division while he was here was pretty damn cool too!

It's probably best if you just read it all.... http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2014/08/to-sung-woo-thanks-for-everything-rany.html

Welp, Sung Woo went home this morning. If you're not familiar with the story, Sung Woo Lee is a guy who has been a die hard royals fan since the late 90's, and is generally one of the main members of the twitter Royals fan peanut gallery, constantly tweeting in his broken english. Here's the thing, though... he lives in South Korea and has zero logical connection to the city or the team! He had never even been to the US. Never, that is, until a last week. Danny Duffy (who used to hang out with us on Twitter, too) offered a while back to pay for his plane ticket if he ever wanted to come, and Sung Woo finally took him up on it.

The whole city went nuts. Here's a partial list from Rany's column:

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2014/08/to-sung-woo-thanks-for-everything-rany.html

Plus, you know... going 8-1 and taking over the division while he was here was pretty damn cool too!

It's probably best if you just read it all.... http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2014/08/to-sung-woo-thanks-for-everything-rany.html
That's a pretty awesome gesture by the Royals.

That's awesome. I guess that explains this .gif that I was having trouble understanding when you posted it:

Lee1_mifc3d37.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Nathan can fuck off himself. What a classy move.
Looking forward to Nathan tearing off his Tigers jersey to reveal an interlocked TC on his undershirt. I love him, and it sucks to watch him look so miserable, but at least it's for a team I actively root against.

It sounds like Buxton has a concussion. That could be serious, but that's about as good an outcome as we could hope for I think.

snack

So I am visiting Chicago at the moment, and was thinking of going to a game tomorrow. Where is the best place to sit to try to catch a ball? hahahaha

Meier

So I am visiting Chicago at the moment, and was thinking of going to a game tomorrow. Where is the best place to sit to try to catch a ball? hahahaha

It's been a few years since I've lived there, but Cubs tickets are really expensive (scalpers generally want close to $100 a pop) but you can usually get Sox tickets for face value-ish.

Top Bottom