• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

Jose Reyes ss
6 years/$106M (2012-17), plus 2018 option

6 years/$106M (2012-17), plus 2018 option
signed by Miami as a free agent 12/5/11
12:$10M, 13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15:$22M, 16:$22M, 17:$22M, 18:$22M club option ($4M buyout)
There's an outside chance he'll be paid market value for a win if he can stave off further decline and salary inflation continues. Being 32-34 years old during that timeframe doesn't make it likely though.

There's an outside chance he'll be paid market value for a win if he can stave off further decline and salary inflation continues. Being 32-34 years old during that timeframe doesn't make it likely though.

Yeah, that's a very outside chance. Both fWAR and rWAR have him being about 3 wins this year, but I'm assuming there's a positional adjustment in there. His bat is still slightly above average, so he gives them good production for a shortstop, but his glove and arm are nearly useless now. He has zero range, and he can barely sidearm the ball across the diamond. If they can convince him to move over to second, he might retain a little of his value, but even then, it's a longshot.

Can you see Rogers them giving any kind of money for that? Reyes is about to get a raise, plus I think Buerhle's contract gets a little more expensive, too. Considering they didn't have room to move at the trading deadline, I doubt the offseason will be very interesting.

(Sorry for being super pessimistic right now: seeing them suck for the last few weeks can do that to you.)

Stroman, Sanchez, Hutchison will be getting paid peanuts so that helps

Taylor has ridiculous plate discipline for his experience. When he bats you can count on him doing three things:

-swinging at strikes
-taking balls
-spitting on his gloves

Macattk15

tumblr_ml252mhGRm1qedlsro1_250.gif

And so are the fucking Mariners.

Parch

These blue jays never cease to amaze
I've been waiting for the pitching staff to get a dose of reality. Buerhle and Dickey are back to normal. Hutch got tired. Now the kid Stroman is struggling. The ace of the Blue Jay staff is now JA Happ? Help me Jeebus.

Chris R

Didn't see anything but the final two innings but nice showing from the Mariners today! Can't wait to watch Felix tomorrow and then on Sunday...

MARINERS BASEBALL ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!!!

Macattk15

2.94 ERA. the Mariners have a 2.94 ERA. Max Scherzer has a 2.98 ERA

Just in case no one understands how good the M's pitching staff as a whole has been this season.

Felix vs. Price tomorrow. Should be a low scoring game.

bullpen is probably tired from the atlanta series

too many starters can barely go 6 innings

wow.. dagger

hope we don't have to play the brewers in the playoffs

2.94 ERA. the Mariners have a 2.94 ERA. Max Scherzer has a 2.98 ERA

Just in case no one understands how good the M's pitching staff as a whole has been this season.

Felix vs. Price tomorrow. Should be a low scoring game.
Eatspopcorn.gif

E: Jamey got lit up. With no Beard or Kenley tonight it was gonna be tough. Which it was

iori9999

Banned
The Tigers are well under .500 after their 27-12 start.. It's about time they close the book on this team, fire Ausmus and go in another direction.. This team was flawed from the start and the Fister trade was what broke the last straw..

The Tigers are well under .500 after their 27-12 start.. It's about time they close the book on this team, fire Ausmus and go in another direction.. This team was flawed from the start and the Fister trade was what broke the last straw..
That Fister trade was Towers esque.

Syrinx

That Fister trade was one of those trades that looked awful when it happened and looks even worse now.

It's a slider
I don't want to bore you with a lot of details, but it's an absolute fact that Kluber's breaking ball is of a rare variety. It's faster than most curveballs, it has more drop than most sliders, and it just flies off to the left, as opposed to breaking 12-to-6. The majority of curveballs break to the glove side, but Kluber's movement is extreme, and I went into the data trying to find a comparison.
Its considered a curve by most. But its neither really.

Top Bottom