• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

9yzqM1b.png

That list is a little misleading though. Dandridge, Johnson and Wilson all made it in through special Negro Leagues elections, while Baker, Collins, Kell, Lindstrom, Santo and White all got in through different versions of the Veterans Committee. That leaves 7 guys who were elected by the BBWAA (6 if you don't count Molitor, since he played more games at DH than 3B, if I'm not mistaken).

Uhhh so apparently Ron Washington says he resigned from the Rangers because he cheated on his wife

I've been listening to one of the local Dallas radio sports stations talking about it. It's really weird, there's speculation that the woman might have been a reporter that covers the Rangers or someone who works in the organization, I dunno though. It's just weird.

lol, what a second-half collapse.

And the huge contracts paid out to these scrubs is going to bury the club for decades. Sucks to suck. Joey Votto, who I suspect's best days are well behind him, really looks like a bad gamble.

Opiate

lol, what a second-half collapse.

And the huge contracts paid out to these scrubs is going to bury the club for decades. Sucks to suck. Joey Votto, who I suspect's best days are well behind him, really looks like a bad gamble.

Pujols' contract with the Cardinals in the mid 2000s (102m for 6 years) seems like the greatest deal ever crafted. Even Holliday's contract with the Cardinals has been acceptable: he's made his money every single year with just a couple years left at this point.

I wouldn't say that the Cardinals are without their misses (Jaime Garcia, for instance), but they've done far better with longer contracts than random chance should dictate. I attribute this additional success to luck.

Pujols' contract with the Cardinals in the mid 2000s (102m for 6 years) seems like the greatest deal ever crafted. Even Holliday's contract with the Cardinals has been acceptable: he's made his money every single year with just a couple years left at this point.

I wouldn't say that the Cardinals are without their misses (Jaime Garcia, for instance), but they've done far better with longer contracts than random chance should dictate. I attribute this additional success to luck.
ARod's first 100M contract is in the conversation as well. Funny how much value those first 100M+ extensions had to the team compared to the second...

Holliday's contract working out has been a relief. I figured it would work out better than Soriano's contract but not this well.

You misspelled Troy Tulowitzki. It's ok, it happens.
Just eyeballing the two contracts, Tulo has to maintain an average of roughly 5 WAR per year until his contract ends in 6 years to have as much surplus value as that first Pujols extension. He's capable of reaching 5+ WAR despite only playing ~120 games per season but you have to wonder if the accumulation of these injuries will turn into something worse as he passes age 30. I would be more optimistic about Tulo's surplus value exceeding Pujols' first contract extension if he hadn't lost that 2012 season.

Rangers are now on their longest win streak of the season, time to take knock the Angels around a bit now. Since there's another 4 game series against Oakland I think the Mariners will make it to the wildcard game.

jakncoke

Banned
Because the unwritten 11th commandment states that only STL can take the division crown. You guys seem to have made a deal with the devil is my conclusion. I've no idea how your SP is staying so consistent for starters.

The easy stretch ending tonight. The Brewers series going to be huge, the Braves was going to be as well but they decided to quit on the season, the reds would of been big as well if they hadnt quit on the season back in July. I was look at the standing from July 18th when they were ahead of us still and 6 games over .500 had a good chuckle on that.

Nice catch by cutuch

aFIGurANT

The easy stretch ending tonight. The Brewers series going to be huge, the Braves was going to be as well but they decided to quit on the season, the reds would of been big as well if they hadnt quit on the season back in July. I was look at the standing from July 18th when they were ahead of us still and 6 games over .500 had a good chuckle on that.

Nice catch by cutuch
The X factor is the Reds for the division as a whole; their last three series will be against STL, MIL, then PIT. If they get on any kind of spoiler groove and sweep someone, things will get nutty. Luckily I think we've got their number and hypothetically the Dbags' too.

Cubs/Redbirds is always a toss up unfortunately.

jakncoke

Banned
Hopefully Tony Watson shuts this down and doesnt implode

lol that Chris Stewart reaction. He just acted like we won the world series after Ortiz k'd

edit; actually ortiz bat got him

Top Bottom