• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CxAHjAsUQAAn_5Y.jpg

Nolan Arenado on whether playing at Coors sabotaged the chances he had for NL MVP.

Get used to it Nolan. As long as the old guard of baseball writers are alive, there will never be another Rockie MVP considering how badly they believe the Coors effect.

What a twist! Bautista lists Rangers as possible destinations

Texas Rangers rumors: Jose Bautista, free agent outfielder for the Toronto Blue Jays, is expected to reject the qualifying offer the Jays have extended, and Nick Cafardo lists the Rangers as one of the teams that are “on the radar” for Bautista.

The Rangers have reportedly long had interest in Bautista, but their ardor has reportedly waned over the last year or so, and of course, there’s that whole fight with Rougned Odor that has to be taken into account when the Rangers weigh whether to pursue him.

And Jose turns face for all of Arlington!

as much as your hate boner for Toronto will rise dramatically, I think this point people are accepting that Jose will leave, and your opinions on him vary. Mine has been well known that he has quickly become a diva.

Oh he's a disaster. And you're not exactly the casual Jays fan that only drops in to the thread after a win to gloat. There are plenty more that would come in after Bautista does some damage against the Jays to talk about how terrible the front office is and want everyone fired and something about Rogers and beer or something.

Lexxism

Oh he's a disaster. And you're not exactly the casual Jays fan that only drops in to the thread after a win to gloat. There are plenty more that would come in after Bautista does some damage against the Jays to talk about how terrible the front office is and want everyone fired and something about Rogers and beer or something.
This is how ex-Jays do against the Jays. Quite annoying.

Choomp

Banned
This is how ex-Jays do against the Jays. Quite annoying.

You know nothing. I've lived through years of Dan Murphy mediocrity and Justing Turner suckiness. Now, yeah, y'all know, they're 2 of the top hitters in the NL, especially against us

MLB Network breaks several viewership records at the end of the 2016 season

Powered by an electric end of season that saw teams fighting for a playoff berth, and a postseason that culminated in a Chicago Cubs World Series Championship, league-owned MLB Network sees several records broken with viewership.

Based on numbers from Nielsen Media Research via the league, MLB Network saw its best-ever postseason viewership in both prime time (avg. 219,000 viewers) and in total day (87,000 viewers), +298% and +21% over 2015, respectively. The viewership in prime time speaks to the power of not only studio programming but the two NLDS games (Game 2 of the Giants v Cubs, and Game 3 of the Nationals v Dodgers) pushed viewers to the net. This past season marked the fifth consecutive year that MLB Network had exclusive telecasts of two Division Series games.

MLBN is consistently regarded as the best of the league run networks, too bad I don't get it in my cable package :(

Chris R

Uh... I could use another young Japanese player in my life.

Come to Seattle duder, it's the next team to break a curse, believethat

Beckx

Neil Walker might take Mets' qualifying offer?

Mariners could sign Otani. All it takes is matching the money AND promising to let him hit. Would even bet he'd take less money for the promise to hit.

Neil Walker might take Mets' qualifying offer?

Mariners could sign Otani. All it takes is matching the money AND promising to let him hit. Would even bet he'd take less money for the promise to hit.

I wonder if that is the key to an AL team getting Otani. Giving him at the very least a part-time DH role.

Crossposting from the NHL thread, but some big news from Comcast RSN's:

NBC SPORTS REGIONAL NETWORKS INTRODUCE LIVE, LOCAL NHL STREAMING

NBC Sports Regional Networks and its National Hockey League (NHL) team partners are now offering live, local streaming of games, as well as NHL pre- and postgame coverage. The new streaming offering is available without any additional costs to subscribers of NBC Sports Group’s CSN regional sports networks (RSNs), through participating providers. This regional initiative advances NBCUniversal’s implementation of “TV Everywhere,” which strives to make quality content available to authenticated customers both in and out of the home, and on multiple platforms.

CSN’s rollout of live, local NHL streaming allows authenticated viewers to stream live games and related coverage of the Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks and Washington Capitals. Additional information and specific timing as it relates to the complete schedule of streaming content will be announced separately via the CSN Chicago, CSN Philadelphia, CSN California and CSN Mid-Atlantic communications and marketing teams. Authenticated CSN subscribers now have the ability to access live NHL and NBA games, as well as other sports programming, even when traveling outside of their region, provided they are within the United States.

“Our introduction of live, local NHL streaming marks another important step toward making all of our live content available to CSN subscribers, wherever they are and on any device,” said David Preschlack, President, NBC Sports Regional Networks, and NBC Sports Group Platform and Content Strategy. “Digital consumption of our live, local NBA games continues to grow year over year, and we are confident that NHL fans in our markets will find great value in this offering as well.”

I wouldn't be surprised if this opens the floodgates when it comes to doing the same with regards to MLB.

zulux21

You shut your filthy mouth. Those guys go I cry.

if they can line up a deal that overpays for sale they should do it.
same for anyone else on the team.

Chris sale is a great guy, worth around 5-6 WAR.

you know what is better than Chris sale?

a pitcher worth around 4 WAR plus a batter worth around 4 WAR.

if the white sox do it right they can likely get a bunch of top prospects for sale, ideally resulting in 2 or 3 mlb players in a year or two which will overall help the team more than still having sale.

abreu is more debatable to trade since he had a down year, but unless the white sox are going all in next year (unlikely) at the very least frasier and any other player that only has 1 year left needs to be traded for as much as they can get.

the thing is with the talent the white sox have they don't need to do a full rebuild, but they do likely need to make a few key trades of good players for packages of players that should be good in a year or 2 and make a real run then.

Votto's future appears to be in Cincinnati

CINCINNATI -- The Reds' Hot Stove season usually includes annual speculation of whether first baseman Joey Votto and his large contract will be traded. While there are likely clubs -- namely Votto's hometown Blue Jays -- that wouldn't mind having him in their lineup for the right price, his departure is unlikely.

Votto, 33, has seven guaranteed years and $179 million remaining on the 10-year contract extension he signed in 2012. He also has a full no-trade clause.
"I certainly haven't had any discussions with him about [waiving the no-trade]," Reds general manager Dick Williams told MLB Network last week at the General Managers Meetings. "When you have a player of that caliber, there's always going to be that speculation and the questions out there in the industry. I can just tell you right now, I'm really comfortable with him in our lineup. I'm very happy with the contract we've got with him. He performed as well as he has in a long time, in recent years. I see him being at the center of our lineup and a guy we could really build around."

Seriously, it is so infuriating to see Canadian sports writers write fan fictions in regards to Votto. The negatives outweigh the positives even if he did waive his NTC to come here, and besides, why the hell should we owe 179 million dollars to a guy north of 30 all to fulfill some sort of nationalistic chest beating?

MLB Network needs to get on PSN Vue ASAP. I'll call my boy Greg Amsinger.

MLBN has the best talk out of all the big league networks. I still think in terms of actual content, it sorely lacks compared to the NFL Network (But nothing can beat NFL Network's Top Ten's and America's Game tbh)

MLBN has the best talk out of all the big league networks. I still think in terms of actual content, it sorely lacks compared to the NFL Network (But nothing can beat NFL Network's Top Ten's and America's Game tbh)
I agree. They show reruns of stuff including Bad News Bears too often. But the actual shows are all pretty good and the commentators are all usually good.

Choomp

Banned
I agree. They show reruns of stuff including Bad News Bears too often. But the actual shows are all pretty good and the commentators are all usually good.

Yeah, MLBN is actually great. This may be the part where I divert from everyone else though, cause I really love the antics of Vasgersian/DeRosa and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom